Newsgroups: rec.arts.books.childrens
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2022 05:14:43 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: R.I.P. Marlenka Stupica, 94, Slovene illustrator & 2-time HCAA nominee
From: lenona...@yahoo.com (Lenona)
 by: Lenona - Sat, 18 Jun 2022 12:14 UTC

She was nominated for the Hans Christian Andersen Award in 1974 and 1996.

She worked on more than 100 books, including those by the Grimms and Andersen.

Incredibly, her daughter Marija Lucija Stupica, who died in 2002 at age 51 (I can't find out how she died) was ALSO nominated twice for the HCAA - in 1998 and 2000.

https://www.google.com/search?q=marlenka+stupica&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj91PPMn5TYAhWG2YMKHQTuAuwQ_AUICigB&biw=1280&bih=892
(photos and artwork)

https://groups.google.com/g/rec.arts.books.childrens/c/Bdd9oVa3zYY/m/VHlAMozOCgAJ
(birthday post from 2017, including videos and a translated birthday tribute)

https://groups.google.com/g/rec.arts.books.childrens/c/Bc-HNUe2Pu0/m/Gu_3Kxc1AwAJ
(about her daughter)

https://newsbeezer.com/sloveniaeng/marlenka-stupica-delo-has-died/

The painter and illustrator died at the age of 94 Marlenka Stupica, announced the publisher Mladinska knjiga, with whom she has been collaborating for more than 50 years. She has illustrated or set up more than 100 children’s picture books and books that have shaped the childhood of many generations.

Marlenka Stupica graduated in painting from the Academy of Fine Arts and Design in Ljubljana in 1950, then dedicated her work to illustration and contributed significantly to its establishment and recognition both in Slovenia and beyond. She is one of the most famous books she has illustrated or set up Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Little Red Riding Hood, My Umbrella Can Be A Balloon, Pika Socks, Pinocchio, Tailored Pants, Ugly Duckling and others as well as an anthology A fairy treepublished by Mladinska knjiga as a selection of timeless fairy tales and poems with their pictures (Marlenka stupica also collaborated with the magazines Ciciban and Cicido).

Her cutting-edge work has brought her numerous awards both domestically and internationally, including multiple Levstik Awards, IBBY International Honor Award, Prešeren Fund Award, and in 2013 the grand Prešeren Lifetime Achievement Award and in 2019 the Župančič Lifetime Achievement Award.

https://newsbeezer.com/sloveniaeng/the-unique-marlenka-stupica-one-of-the-first-ladies-of-slovenian-illustration-said-goodbye/
(this is much longer, and has some of her artwork, including an illustration of Pippi Longstocking)

https://www.google.com/search?q=marlenka+stupica+94&rlz=1CAJMBU_enUS1010&oq=marlenka+stupica+94&aqs=chrome..69i57.4697j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
(more obits - they can be translated)