"Survey says..." -- Richard Dawson, weenie, on "Family Feud"

arts / alt.arts.poetry.comments / Re: WATCHMEN movie scripts from the 1980s

SubjectAuthor
* Re: WATCHMEN movie scripts from the 1980sWill Dockery
`* Re: WATCHMEN movie scripts from the 1980sRocky Stoneberg
 `* Re: WATCHMEN movie scripts from the 1980sW.Dockery
  `- Re: WATCHMEN movie scripts from the 1980sGeneral-Zod

1
Re: WATCHMEN movie scripts from the 1980s

<de40ad7e-86c0-463b-81ea-e452477e6f70n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=152369&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#152369

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2022 22:53:57 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: WATCHMEN movie scripts from the 1980s
From: opb...@yahoo.com (Will Dockery)
 by: Will Dockery - Mon, 13 Jun 2022 05:53 UTC

On Sunday, July 27, 2008 at 10:03:33 PM

> Since the Watchmen movie is now a reality, this piece from the
> archives, written by a person known as Flash Forever, gives
> interesting recaps of the two scripts that were written for the film
> twenty years ago -
> The Watchmen movie script review.
> Amazing Heroes No. 173. November, 1989.
> The comments I recalled concerning the Watchmen movie scripts were
> from
> an article which appeared in that AH issue entitled, "Andy Mangels
> Backstage (With a Bunch of Movie Scripts)" written by, you guessed
> it,
> Andy Mangel.
> Mangel reviews several incarnations of the script for the Batman
> movie
> and what I presume eventually became the script for the Flash
> television
> movie. There's also a review of a script for a Nick Fury movie. There
> are references to several other super-hero scripts which, to the best
> of
> my knowledge, were never actually made into movies. Not as yet,
> anyways.
> But all of that is incidental. On to Watchmen...
> Mangel reviews two Watchmen scripts, one written by Sam Hamm and
> another
> written by Hamm and Terry Gilliam. Excerpts from Mangel's article:

I'm in the middle of a Terry Gilliam retrospective, from Jabberwocky to Brazil, and I can visualize Gilliam's take on Watchmen.
> [...]
> mistake.
> By the way, you wonder what the young black boy who reads comic books
> at
> the newsstand is reading? It's not Tales of the Black Freighter. It's
> Colonel North and his Howling Commandos. Way to go, Sam.
> Watchmen (Second Draft)–Terry Gilliam and Sam Hamm: The rewrite of
> the
> beginning scene is largely full of unneeded and poorly done dialogue
> changes, almost as if Gilliam had to do something in it to put his
> mark
> down. An example of an unnecessary line comes right at the beginning.
> The Comedian's "Asshole! What took you so long?" is changed to
> "Manhattan, you cad! This lady's gone to pieces waiting for you!" You
> tell me which one's better.
> To his credit, Gilliam has included portions of Rorshach's diary as
> voice-overs in several scenes. Not only that, but he has restored
> scenes
> missing from Hamm's first draft. Once again it is Rorshach who tells
> Silk Spectre, Dr. Manhattan, and Adrian Veidt about the Comedian's
> death. IN fact, it looks almost as if Giliaiam just went through and
> copied Alan Moore's dialogue and scenes, while keeping in those
> elements
> of Hamm's that he liked. While this takes the script much closer to
> Moore's version, I think it takes it further away from Moore's
> vision.
> To explain:
> Alan Moore created a very dense comic series which takes hours and
> hours
> to read, and in which, upon re-reading one discovers new things. In a
> two-hour movie, it is imposible to create that kind of density, but
> it
> is possible to reshape that density into a workable, looser, more
> easily
> understandable format. Gilliam has shown, in all his movies, the
> penchant for filling them with as much as the mind can take, and then
> some. He would rather have people puzzling over his movies for years
> than have them understand them by evening's end.
> Whch is why the rewrite of Sam Hamm's script doesn't work. For all it
> was, Alan Moore's Watchmen, and thus, Terry Gilliam's Watchmen, is
> too
> ense for a two-hour screen movie. Hamm's version takes everything
> that
> was good about Watchmen and distills it into highly enjoyable yet
> still
> highly dense movie. While Gilliam's Watchmen would no doubt leave
> them
> scratching their heads at the box office, Hamm's Wathmen would bring
> them back, paying to see it again..."
> END EXCERPTS
> Interesting stuff, and even more so since we'll finally be able to see
> how the task of translating Moore's vision to the big screen comes

Click here to read the complete article
Re: WATCHMEN movie scripts from the 1980s

<aa56cd6be4840b1cefdb1c52e51ea6aa@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=152470&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#152470

Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2022 22:03:30 +0000
From: rockysto...@gmail.com (Rocky Stoneberg)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
References: <lIydnfRmVPUw4h3VnZ2dnUVZ_h_inZ2d@comcast.com> <snk1845c2ov992ulahbutra2kfbscn2lj7@4ax.com> <TIOdnb8TWZD0pBzVnZ2dnUVZ_orinZ2d@comcast.com> <Wnbgk.44$_l.23@trnddc04> <3f338494nin0908mgglft8vj7unnm3dj2e@4ax.com> <Xns9AE065FC6AFEClkajehoriuasldfjknak@207.115.33.102> <28c47724-dbd7-4c0b-8abd-dd44acdb65b4@d1g2000hsg.googlegroups.com> <Xns9AE0B416EBC14lkajehoriuasldfjknak@207.115.17.102> <dd5e7b6c-753a-47b9-8161-ba13b41b4238@c65g2000hsa.googlegroups.com> <ANIM8Rfsk-2C9AE4.18352519072008@news.west.cox.net> <Xns9AE19E2A7AFlkajehoriuasldfjknak@207.115.33.102> <ANIM8Rfsk-BEC01F.23554519072008@news.west.cox.net> <OqudnWumqM-xSx7VnZ2dnUVZ_h3inZ2d@comcast.com> <ANIM8Rfsk-FCD439.18091121072008@news.west.cox.net> <e859b681-196d-4177-a2ad-d41fd2a2ea01@2g2000hsn.googlegroups.com> <de40ad7e-86c0-463b-81ea-e452477e6f70n@googlegroups.com>
 by: Rocky Stoneberg - Mon, 13 Jun 2022 22:03 UTC

Will Dockery wrote:

> On Sunday, July 27, 2008 at 10:03:33 PM
>>
>> Since the Watchmen movie is now a reality, this piece from the
>> archives, written by a person known as Flash Forever, gives
>> interesting recaps of the two scripts that were written for the film
>> twenty years ago -
>> The Watchmen movie script review.
>> Amazing Heroes No. 173. November, 1989.
>> The comments I recalled concerning the Watchmen movie scripts were
>> from
>> an article which appeared in that AH issue entitled, "Andy Mangels
>> Backstage (With a Bunch of Movie Scripts)" written by, you guessed
>> it,
>> Andy Mangel.
>> Mangel reviews several incarnations of the script for the Batman
>> movie
>> and what I presume eventually became the script for the Flash
>> television
>> movie. There's also a review of a script for a Nick Fury movie. There
>> are references to several other super-hero scripts which, to the best
>> of
>> my knowledge, were never actually made into movies. Not as yet,
>> anyways.
>> But all of that is incidental. On to Watchmen...
>> Mangel reviews two Watchmen scripts, one written by Sam Hamm and
>> another
>> written by Hamm and Terry Gilliam. Excerpts from Mangel's article:

> I'm in the middle of a Terry Gilliam retrospective, from Jabberwocky to Brazil, and I can visualize Gilliam's take on Watchmen.

Fascinating though of what might have been indeed...!

<ffe9aae94cbd192eb4b4a3d5402fe9bf@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=152678&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#152678

Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2022 06:56:36 +0000
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
References: <lIydnfRmVPUw4h3VnZ2dnUVZ_h_inZ2d@comcast.com> <snk1845c2ov992ulahbutra2kfbscn2lj7@4ax.com> <TIOdnb8TWZD0pBzVnZ2dnUVZ_orinZ2d@comcast.com> <Wnbgk.44$_l.23@trnddc04> <3f338494nin0908mgglft8vj7unnm3dj2e@4ax.com> <Xns9AE065FC6AFEClkajehoriuasldfjknak@207.115.33.102> <28c47724-dbd7-4c0b-8abd-dd44acdb65b4@d1g2000hsg.googlegroups.com> <Xns9AE0B416EBC14lkajehoriuasldfjknak@207.115.17.102> <dd5e7b6c-753a-47b9-8161-ba13b41b4238@c65g2000hsa.googlegroups.com> <ANIM8Rfsk-2C9AE4.18352519072008@news.west.cox.net> <Xns9AE19E2A7AFlkajehoriuasldfjknak@207.115.33.102> <ANIM8Rfsk-BEC01F.23554519072008@news.west.cox.net> <OqudnWumqM-xSx7VnZ2dnUVZ_h3inZ2d@comcast.com> <ANIM8Rfsk-FCD439.18091121072008@news.west.cox.net> <e859b681-196d-4177-a2ad-d41fd2a2ea01@2g2000hsn.googlegroups.com> <de40ad7e-86c0-463b-81ea-e452477e6f70n@googlegroups.com> <aa56cd6be4840b1cefdb1c52e51ea6aa@news.novabbs.com>
 by: W.Dockery - Wed, 15 Jun 2022 06:56 UTC

<38676bb7a8854ce40e622a8cafd8e343@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=247053&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#247053

From: tzod9...@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2024 22:45:23 +0000
References: <lIydnfRmVPUw4h3VnZ2dnUVZ_h_inZ2d@comcast.com> <Wnbgk.44$_l.23@trnddc04> <3f338494nin0908mgglft8vj7unnm3dj2e@4ax.com> <Xns9AE065FC6AFEClkajehoriuasldfjknak@207.115.33.102> <28c47724-dbd7-4c0b-8abd-dd44acdb65b4@d1g2000hsg.googlegroups.com> <Xns9AE0B416EBC14lkajehoriuasldfjknak@207.115.17.102> <dd5e7b6c-753a-47b9-8161-ba13b41b4238@c65g2000hsa.googlegroups.com> <ANIM8Rfsk-2C9AE4.18352519072008@news.west.cox.net> <Xns9AE19E2A7AFlkajehoriuasldfjknak@207.115.33.102> <ANIM8Rfsk-BEC01F.23554519072008@news.west.cox.net> <OqudnWumqM-xSx7VnZ2dnUVZ_h3inZ2d@comcast.com> <ANIM8Rfsk-FCD439.18091121072008@news.west.cox.net> <e859b681-196d-4177-a2ad-d41fd2a2ea01@2g2000hsn.googlegroups.com> <de40ad7e-86c0-463b-81ea-e452477e6f70n@googlegroups.com> <aa56cd6be4840b1cefdb1c52e51ea6aa@news.novabbs.com> <ffe9aae94cbd192eb4b4a3d5402fe9bf@news.novabbs.com>
 by: General-Zod - Thu, 15 Feb 2024 22:45 UTC