Newsgroups: rec.arts.books
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2022 02:02:40 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Problem with psychological theories
From: ibsham...@gmail.com (Ilya Shambat)
 by: Ilya Shambat - Tue, 20 Dec 2022 10:02 UTC

The hippie types rebelled against the system, and the system fought back. Because of this many of them found themselves in a bad way, and they attempted to fix themselves with psychology. This gave birth to such psychologies as that of self-esteem, that of “winners” and “losers” and that of personality disorders.

These have done wrong in themselves.

The problem with self-esteem psychology is that it rewards wrong things. If you have higher standards for yourself, then you will find it harder to feel good about yourself than if you have low standards for yourself. Rewarding self-esteem does not reward personal good; it rewards low standards.

The problem with winners-and-losers psychology is that it portrays as losers all sorts of significant contributors. Particularly, it portrays as losers the scientists, the teachers and the police. These people do not make very much money; yet they contribute vastly to the world, and without them there would not be much benefit even to business itself.

And the problem with personality disorders psychology is that it damns people, claiming cruelly and irrationally that some people are bad and can only be bad whatever they do, however hard they work and whatever work they do on themselves.

Finally, we see people claiming the socio-economic infrastructure to be reality while being blind to the greater reality of the planet within which this infrastructure exists and without which it would have no existence.

All of the above are wrong.

Of course a lot of these people put a lot of effort into pursuing these respective theories, and they think that they are better than people who haven’t done such a thing. For that matter a lot of people in Middle Ages put a lot of effort into learning sword-fighting; today we have guns. There are better technologies than the above, and ones with more intellectual merit. There very much is such a thing as real intelligence. It works for everyone’s benefit to practice it.

So instead of going for one or another incomplete psychology, it merits to a much greater extent to have actual insight.

And that means also insight into these psychological theories.