arts / rec.arts.tv / What Did You Watch? 2022-08-18 (Thursday)

SubjectAuthor
* What Did You Watch? 2022-08-18 (Thursday)Ubiquitous
`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-08-18 (Thursday)Ian J. Ball
 +* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-08-18 (Thursday)Arthur Lipscomb
 |+- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-08-18 (Thursday)BTR1701
 |`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-08-18 (Thursday)Ian J. Ball
 `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-08-18 (Thursday)Dimensional Traveler
  `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-08-18 (Thursday)Ian J. Ball

1
What Did You Watch? 2022-08-18 (Thursday)

<UBI20220818@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=152786&group=rec.arts.tv#152786

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: What Did You Watch? 2022-08-18 (Thursday)
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2022 04:30:41 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Fri, 19 Aug 2022 08:30 UTC

I watched:

D.B. COOPER: WHERE ARE YOU:
"Innocent Men Don't Hide in Storage Bins". Robert Rackstraw's colorful
history of run-ins with the law draws Tom Colbert and his team of sleuths
toward a theory teeming with intrigue.

D.B. COOPER: WHERE ARE YOU:
"Seeing Jesus in the Toast". A deluge of far-out speculations surface after
the FBI closes the book on D.B. Cooper and releases its investigative files
to the public.

D.B. COOPER: WHERE ARE YOU:
"Cooperland". Parallels between D.B. Cooper and the fictional Canadian comic
book hero who shares his name open up new possibilities.

MST3K:
"Hercules Against the Moon Men". Hercules attempts to free a city from a
Moon-worshiping cult.

What did you watch?

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-08-18 (Thursday)

<tdoabi$1htne$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=152813&group=rec.arts.tv#152813

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-08-18 (Thursday)
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2022 08:30:58 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Fri, 19 Aug 2022 15:30 UTC

On 2022-08-19 08:30:41 +0000, Ubiquitous said:

> What did you watch?

I ran errands in the morning through the early afternoon, so not as much:

soaps: GH (ABC app) - I'm bummed because I read on Deadline that Britt
will be leaving GH in November... Anyway, they tie Cody into the old
Katherine Bell character from the 1990s, which I find weird as Bell
died c.1999, and Mary Beth Evans is back firmly ensconced on DOOL these
days, so it's not like she can come back!!... Meanwhile, Lizzie
continues to crack up, and they seem to not be going with a "Lizzie was
molested" storyline, but seem to be hinting at something else
(murder?...) - it does amuse me how Lizzie's sister Sarah (at one time
played by Jennifer Sky!!) is never mentioned in any of this!... And
Anna has "lunch" with Valentin and Victor(!), and somehow Lucy got
dragged into it(?) - honestly, I didn't follow it. Finally, Brook Lynn
& co. try to work on Chase's "image" for the singing thing.

Butterfly Caught (Prime) - I watched this because it co-starred Abigail
Klein, who just started up on DOOL.
This is one of those "inside beltway" films about Hollywood that's
pretty much a lot less interesting to anyone who is not in "the
business".
It's about 3 actresses, and what they have to give up (or lose) to
try to "make it" in Hollywood: Alex Sgambati (how do you pronounce
that?!) plays the most successful of the three, as an ambitious,
incredibly driven (and probably slightly crazy!!) actress who is on the
cusp of landing her breakout role; Jess Jacobs plays the one who has
been trying to break in to "the business" for 5 years now, and her
sense of failure is starting to catch up with and overwhelm her; and
Klein plays the newbie, and unfortunely the most underdeveloped
character.
This doesn't really go anywhere you wouldn't expect it to, though I
did not understand the ending, re: Sgambati's character - so after all
of this, she just throws the boyfriend over to keep trying for the
brass ring?!

Motherland: Fort Salem (recorded) - "But I Don't Even Have A Dress..."
(ep. #3.9, the penultimate episode).
I think no episode better exemplifies this final season #3's pacing
problems than this penultimate episode - while not nearly enough
happened earlier in season #3 and events were dragged out, this
penultimate ep., by contrast, tried to cover *way too much*, stuffing
so much into the episode that a lot dramatic impact and details were
lost!
SPOILERS
Follow
If You
Care
In this episode, the following was covered (but not well, or with
much of any depth at all!):
1) The Bellweather Unit's capture
2) The Bellweather Unit's (show) trial
3) The return of President Wade (which wasn't even shown to us, but
was *told* to us in terms of events offscreen!)
4) The jailing of Vice Pres. Silver, and the driving of the
Camarilla from positions of power (this should have been a whole
episode, all on its own!!)
5) The wedding of Raelle and Scylla
6) The surprise (double!) wedding of Abigail and Adil
7) The return of Alder (surprise! she wasn't dead after the last
episode!!... wait, you weren't "surprised" by this?!...)
8) The fall of Fort Salem to the Camarilla (which, again, was mostly
*not* shown to us).
Some of these issues are budget dictated (unfortunately - M:FS would
be a much better show with even a halfway decent budget!). But most of
these problems are *writing* issues, esp. the major pacing problems in
season #3 - pretty much every topic, or at least every pair of topics,
on my list deserved at least an episode dedicated to it/them on its
own. But, instead they overstuffed the penultimate epie.
I'll be curious what they can salvage out of the series finale.
Because this penultimate episode tried to stuff a season's worth of
events into a single episode... :/

I then rewatched "The Lost Girls" (aka. "Angie: Lost Girls") with Jane
Widdop (from "Yellowjackets") - it's pretty dang dark for a Lifetime
flick. But I've thought Widdop is a real find since I've discovered
her, and I hope she continues to get work.

On my end, I still have to finish out "Westworld" season #4, and then
start "She-Hulk: Attorney at Law" - not sure which order I will do that
in...

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-08-18 (Thursday)

<tdodvk$1ii39$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=152817&group=rec.arts.tv#152817

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2022 09:32:48 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Fri, 19 Aug 2022 16:32 UTC

On 8/19/2022 8:30 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> On 2022-08-19 08:30:41 +0000, Ubiquitous said:
>
>> What did you watch?
>
> I ran errands in the morning through the early afternoon, so not as much:
>
> soaps: GH (ABC app) - I'm bummed because I read on Deadline that Britt
> will be leaving GH in November... Anyway, they tie Cody into the old
> Katherine Bell character from the 1990s, which I find weird as Bell died
> c.1999, and Mary Beth Evans is back firmly ensconced on DOOL these days,
> so it's not like she can come back!!... Meanwhile, Lizzie continues to
> crack up, and they seem to not be going with a "Lizzie was molested"
> storyline, but seem to be hinting at something else (murder?...) - it
> does amuse me how Lizzie's sister Sarah (at one time played by Jennifer
> Sky!!) is never mentioned in any of this!... And Anna has "lunch" with
> Valentin and Victor(!), and somehow Lucy got dragged into it(?) -
> honestly, I didn't follow it. Finally, Brook Lynn & co. try to work on
> Chase's "image" for the singing thing.
>
> Butterfly Caught (Prime) - I watched this because it co-starred Abigail
> Klein, who just started up on DOOL.
>   This is one of those "inside beltway" films about Hollywood that's
> pretty much a lot less interesting to anyone who is not in "the business".
>   It's about 3 actresses, and what they have to give up (or lose) to
> try to "make it" in Hollywood: Alex Sgambati (how do you pronounce
> that?!) plays the most successful of the three, as an ambitious,
> incredibly driven (and probably slightly crazy!!) actress who is on the
> cusp of landing her breakout role; Jess Jacobs plays the one who has
> been trying to break in to "the business" for 5 years now, and her sense
> of failure is starting to catch up with and overwhelm her; and Klein
> plays the newbie, and unfortunely the most underdeveloped character.
>   This doesn't really go anywhere you wouldn't expect it to, though I
> did not understand the ending, re: Sgambati's character - so after all
> of this, she just throws the boyfriend over to keep trying for the brass
> ring?!

Added to the watch list. I hope at some point in the movie someone time
travels and accidentally changes history. Otherwise I'm going to feel
cheated... ;-)

> Motherland: Fort Salem (recorded) - "But I Don't Even Have A Dress..."
> (ep. #3.9, the penultimate episode).
>   I think no episode better exemplifies this final season #3's pacing
> problems than this penultimate episode - while not nearly enough
> happened earlier in season #3 and events were dragged out, this
> penultimate ep., by contrast, tried to cover *way too much*, stuffing so
> much into the episode that a lot dramatic impact and details were lost!
>   SPOILERS
>   Follow
>   If You
>   Care
>   In this episode, the following was covered (but not well, or with
> much of any depth at all!):
>   1) The Bellweather Unit's capture
>   2) The Bellweather Unit's (show) trial

That was beyond ridiculous!

>   3) The return of President Wade (which wasn't even shown to us, but
> was *told* to us in terms of events offscreen!)

Yeah, I was expecting a lot more, but I understand given the time
commitments that they just needed to get it over with.

>   4) The jailing of Vice Pres. Silver, and the driving of the Camarilla
> from positions of power (this should have been a whole episode, all on
> its own!!)
>   5) The wedding of Raelle and Scylla
>   6) The surprise (double!) wedding of Abigail and Adil
>   7) The return of Alder (surprise! she wasn't dead after the last
> episode!!... wait, you weren't "surprised" by this?!...)
>   8) The fall of Fort Salem to the Camarilla (which, again, was mostly
> *not* shown to us).

I don't remember this. That's the problem with not showing stuff.

>   Some of these issues are budget dictated (unfortunately - M:FS would
> be a much better show with even a halfway decent budget!). But most of
> these problems are *writing* issues, esp. the major pacing problems in
> season #3 - pretty much every topic, or at least every pair of topics,
> on my list deserved at least an episode dedicated to it/them on its own.
> But, instead they overstuffed the penultimate epie.
>   I'll be curious what they can salvage out of the series finale.
> Because this penultimate episode tried to stuff a season's worth of
> events into a single episode...  :/

At least they're wrapping stuff up.

> I then rewatched "The Lost Girls" (aka. "Angie: Lost Girls") with Jane
> Widdop (from "Yellowjackets") - it's pretty dang dark for a Lifetime
> flick. But I've thought Widdop is a real find since I've discovered her,
> and I hope she continues to get work.
>

> On my end, I still have to finish out "Westworld" season #4, and then
> start "She-Hulk: Attorney at Law" - not sure which order I will do that
> in...

Finish Westworld first.

I watched:

She-Hulk: Attorney at Law (Disney+) - "A Normal Amount of Rage" - Pilot
episode which shows how Banner's cousin became She-Hulk. It was mostly
set up. I guess it was OK.

I Am Groot (Disney+) - Since I already had Disney+ up and running I
binged through all 5 episodes. "Groot's First Steps," "The Little Guy,"
"Groot's Pursuit," "Groot Takes a Bath," and "Magnum Opus." Each
episode is only around 5 or 6 minutes so it didn't take long to watch
them all. They were generally OK.

Paper Girls (Amazon streaming) - I watched the first 3 episodes of this
sci-fi show about five 12-year-old girls from the 80s who are
transported to the present. "Growing Pains," "Weird Al Is Dead," and
"Blue Tongues Don't Lie." This show felt a *lot* like Future Man except
without the comedy. Since the Paper Girls comic came out a couple of
years before Future Man, I strongly suspect Future Man straight ripped
off Paper Girls. However between the two, Paper Girls is the better show.

One thing that has been completely glossed over on the show is the girls
who traveled to the future are interacting with people they knew back
then and the people who knew them remember a completely different
version of history that included the girls being around.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-08-18 (Thursday)

<atropos-0CA0B7.10114919082022@g9u1993c-hb.houston.hpicorp.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=152820&group=rec.arts.tv#152820

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2022 10:11:49 -0700
 by: BTR1701 - Fri, 19 Aug 2022 17:11 UTC

In article <tdodvk$1ii39$1@dont-email.me>,
Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

> Paper Girls (Amazon streaming) - I watched the first 3 episodes of this
> sci-fi show about five 12-year-old girls from the 80s who are
> transported to the present. "Growing Pains," "Weird Al Is Dead," and
> "Blue Tongues Don't Lie." This show felt a *lot* like Future Man except
> without the comedy. Since the Paper Girls comic came out a couple of
> years before Future Man, I strongly suspect Future Man straight ripped
> off Paper Girls. However between the two, Paper Girls is the better show.
>
> One thing that has been completely glossed over on the show is the girls
> who traveled to the future are interacting with people they knew back
> then and the people who knew them remember a completely different
> version of history that included the girls being around.

I've only watched one ep so far. I could understand why the young Asian
girl wouldn't necessarily recognize her adult self immediately, but why
wouldn't the adult version recognize her child self? It's not like she
wouldn't have spent years looking in the mirror growing up and knowing
her own face as child.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-08-18 (Thursday)

<tdogqb$1iuom$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=152821&group=rec.arts.tv#152821

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2022 10:21:15 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Fri, 19 Aug 2022 17:21 UTC

On 2022-08-19 16:32:48 +0000, Arthur Lipscomb said:

> I watched:
>

> Paper Girls (Amazon streaming) - I watched the first 3 episodes of this
> sci-fi show about five 12-year-old girls from the 80s who are
> transported to the present. "Growing Pains," "Weird Al Is Dead," and
> "Blue Tongues Don't Lie." This show felt a *lot* like Future Man
> except without the comedy. Since the Paper Girls comic came out a
> couple of years before Future Man, I strongly suspect Future Man
> straight ripped off Paper Girls. However between the two, Paper Girls
> is the better show.
>
> One thing that has been completely glossed over on the show is the
> girls who traveled to the future are interacting with people they knew
> back then and the people who knew them remember a completely different
> version of history that included the girls being around.

Yes, I agree with this. It only makes sense if all of this is leading
to multiple timelines. Otherwise Adult Erin would have remembered
running into herself, etc.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-08-18 (Thursday)

<tdomi6$1jkfg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=152836&group=rec.arts.tv#152836

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2022 11:59:26 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Fri, 19 Aug 2022 18:59 UTC

> [...]
> these problems are *writing* issues, esp. the major pacing problems in
> season #3 - pretty much every topic, or at least every pair of topics,
> on my list deserved at least an episode dedicated to it/them on its own.
> But, instead they overstuffed the penultimate epie.
>   I'll be curious what they can salvage out of the series finale.
> Because this penultimate episode tried to stuff a season's worth of
> events into a single episode...  :/
>
> I then rewatched "The Lost Girls" (aka. "Angie: Lost Girls") with Jane
> Widdop (from "Yellowjackets") - it's pretty dang dark for a Lifetime
> flick. But I've thought Widdop is a real find since I've discovered her,
> and I hope she continues to get work.
>

> On my end, I still have to finish out "Westworld" season #4, and then
> start "She-Hulk: Attorney at Law" - not sure which order I will do that

I finished watching season 1 of 'The Old Man'. That was not a happy
ending but the show's plot held together and made sense. The only real
problem I had was in the first episode The Old Man has trouble just
getting his socks on and by the end of the first episode he's winning
hand to hand combats against trained agents a third his age. O_O Also
I guessed the real target and why around episode 4 or 5. :)

dirty old man.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-08-18 (Thursday)

<tdoocp$1jr44$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=152845&group=rec.arts.tv#152845

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2022 12:30:33 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Fri, 19 Aug 2022 19:30 UTC

On 2022-08-19 18:59:26 +0000, Dimensional Traveler said:

>> On 2022-08-19 08:30:41 +0000, Ubiquitous said:
>>
>>> What did you watch?
>
> I finished watching season 1 of 'The Old Man'. That was not a happy
> ending but the show's plot held together and made sense. The only real
> problem I had was in the first episode The Old Man has trouble just
> getting his socks on and by the end of the first episode he's winning
> hand to hand combats against trained agents a third his age. O_O Also
> I guessed the real target and why around episode 4 or 5. :)

Me too, but several of us were annoyed that they monkeyed with the
timeline unnecessarily in service of that "twist".