From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: [OT] More on euthanasia in Canada
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2022 15:54:54 -0400
 by: Rhino - Sat, 20 Aug 2022 19:54 UTC

It seems we've got some genuine domestic horror stories about euthanasia
being applied - or offered - frivolously in this country:

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/first-reading-how-canada-ignored-warnings-that-euthanasia-would-immediately-go-too-far

If it is true that doctors giving euthanasia - and those supervising
them - get more money than those who don't, it's not hard to see an
incentive for them to do so.

The article also mentions the case of a mentally-ill man who was
forcibly euthanized despite yelling and screaming that he did NOT want
to die; apparently, he had consented on some other occasion but had no
power to rescind his decision. This is horrific beyond words.

According to the comments under the story, one individual was
spontaneously offered doctor-assisted suicide, despite not asking for it.

--
Rhino

Re: [OT] More on euthanasia in Canada

<klv2ghd2bloq9tncp5jqmttfj2b2ounauv@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=153063&group=rec.arts.tv#153063

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: [OT] More on euthanasia in Canada
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2022 17:42:15 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Sun, 21 Aug 2022 00:42 UTC

On Sat, 20 Aug 2022 15:54:54 -0400, Rhino
<no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:

>It seems we've got some genuine domestic horror stories about euthanasia
>being applied - or offered - frivolously in this country:
>
>https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/first-reading-how-canada-ignored-warnings-that-euthanasia-would-immediately-go-too-far
>
>If it is true that doctors giving euthanasia - and those supervising
>them - get more money than those who don't, it's not hard to see an
>incentive for them to do so.
>
>The article also mentions the case of a mentally-ill man who was
>forcibly euthanized despite yelling and screaming that he did NOT want
>to die; apparently, he had consented on some other occasion but had no
>power to rescind his decision. This is horrific beyond words.
>
>According to the comments under the story, one individual was
>spontaneously offered doctor-assisted suicide, despite not asking for it.

The scandal in the latter case was that the fellow in question was an
Afghan vet suffering PTSD and called the clinic looking for meds and
instead was offered assisted suicide councilling.

I emphasize - this was not in the doctor's office, this was a PHONE
CONSULT which made it doubly appalling as this was an ex-military PTSD
case with a known cause (Afghanistan) who was quite specific what he
was requesting and didn't get it.

The case got front page coverage in Vancouver and I bet it did in
Toronto too!

Re: [OT] More on euthanasia in Canada

<tdtcg3$2bof1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=153126&group=rec.arts.tv#153126

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2022 09:38:04 -0400
 by: Rhino - Sun, 21 Aug 2022 13:38 UTC

On 2022-08-20 8:42 PM, The Horny Goat wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Aug 2022 15:54:54 -0400, Rhino
> <no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:
>
>> It seems we've got some genuine domestic horror stories about euthanasia
>> being applied - or offered - frivolously in this country:
>>
>> https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/first-reading-how-canada-ignored-warnings-that-euthanasia-would-immediately-go-too-far
>>
>> If it is true that doctors giving euthanasia - and those supervising
>> them - get more money than those who don't, it's not hard to see an
>> incentive for them to do so.
>>
>> The article also mentions the case of a mentally-ill man who was
>> forcibly euthanized despite yelling and screaming that he did NOT want
>> to die; apparently, he had consented on some other occasion but had no
>> power to rescind his decision. This is horrific beyond words.
>>
>> According to the comments under the story, one individual was
>> spontaneously offered doctor-assisted suicide, despite not asking for it.
>
> The scandal in the latter case was that the fellow in question was an
> Afghan vet suffering PTSD and called the clinic looking for meds and
> instead was offered assisted suicide councilling.
> > I emphasize - this was not in the doctor's office, this was a PHONE
> CONSULT which made it doubly appalling as this was an ex-military PTSD
> case with a known cause (Afghanistan) who was quite specific what he
> was requesting and didn't get it.

I'm still not clear how it got from a veteran saying "I need help with
PTSD" to "I want to die" and not being able to change his mind. That
progression is not at all clear to me. How does screaming "No! I don't
want this!" as they are trying to inject him with the lethal drug not
put a stop to it?

> The case got front page coverage in Vancouver and I bet it did in
> Toronto too!

If it did, I missed it (which is entirely possible since I don't look at
the news every single day).

--
Rhino

Re: [OT] More on euthanasia in Canada

<ccv5ghh4m9k4822e7j5g13obg388ejp14r@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=153292&group=rec.arts.tv#153292

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2022 20:57:04 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Mon, 22 Aug 2022 03:57 UTC

On Sun, 21 Aug 2022 09:38:04 -0400, Rhino
<no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:

>> The scandal in the latter case was that the fellow in question was an
>> Afghan vet suffering PTSD and called the clinic looking for meds and
>> instead was offered assisted suicide councilling.
>> > I emphasize - this was not in the doctor's office, this was a PHONE
>> CONSULT which made it doubly appalling as this was an ex-military PTSD
>> case with a known cause (Afghanistan) who was quite specific what he
>> was requesting and didn't get it.
>>
>I'm still not clear how it got from a veteran saying "I need help with
>PTSD" to "I want to die" and not being able to change his mind. That
>progression is not at all clear to me. How does screaming "No! I don't
>want this!" as they are trying to inject him with the lethal drug not
>put a stop to it?
>
>> The case got front page coverage in Vancouver and I bet it did in
>> Toronto too!
>
>If it did, I missed it (which is entirely possible since I don't look at
>the news every single day).

The way I heard there there were two separate cases: (1) the case
where the vet was having issues with PTSD (I've read news stories
saying something like 25% of Canada's Afghanistan vets do) and (2)
another previous case involving a mentally ill guy (non-vet) who had
previously requested MAID (Canadian-ese for "medical assistance in
dying"), changed his mind then some medical person found his previous
request and ignored the fact he had cancelled his request - and
apparently there's no formal way to change one's mind so they were
setting him up for the injection with him screaming "I don't want to
go!" the whole way. Not sure what the final outcome was.