arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: death of Judith Durham

SubjectAuthor
* death of Judith DurhamAdam H. Kerman
+* Re: death of Judith Durhamanim8rfsk
|+* Re: death of Judith DurhamIan J. Ball
||`- Re: death of Judith Durhamanim8rfsk
|`* Re: death of Judith DurhamThe Horny Goat
| +- Re: death of Judith Durhamanim8rfsk
| `- Re: death of Judith Durhamshawn
`* Re: death of Judith Durhamsuper70s
 `* Re: death of Judith DurhamAdam H. Kerman
  `- Re: death of Judith DurhamAdam H. Kerman

1
death of Judith Durham

<tdqpsl$1u44b$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=152962&group=rec.arts.tv#152962

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: death of Judith Durham
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2022 14:08:21 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sat, 20 Aug 2022 14:08 UTC

https://uk.style.yahoo.com/judith-durham-australias-folk-music-110355598.html

Farewell to The Seekers.

They were fantastically popular in Australia, but singing the theme from
the movie Georgy Girl (1966) gave them world-wide popularity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsIbfYEizLk

The concert version is a little different than what's heard in the film.

This is why they were so well beloved in Australia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjYEskzWt6I

Waltzing Matilda begins at 6:30.

Re: death of Judith Durham

<820015033.682698256.446813.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=152975&group=rec.arts.tv#152975

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: death of Judith Durham
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2022 08:22:07 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sat, 20 Aug 2022 15:22 UTC

Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
> https://uk.style.yahoo.com/judith-durham-australias-folk-music-110355598.html
>
> Farewell to The Seekers.
>
> They were fantastically popular in Australia, but singing the theme from
> the movie Georgy Girl (1966) gave them world-wide popularity.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsIbfYEizLk
>
> The concert version is a little different than what's heard in the film.
>
> This is why they were so well beloved in Australia.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjYEskzWt6I
>
> Waltzing Matilda begins at 6:30.

OK, so, first, thanks for that. It was fun to listen to.

Now the befuddlement.

I was wondering when the hell this was shot since it was in 4:3. They say
it’s the Centenary of waltzing Matilda which was first published in 1903.
But the video says This took place in 1994. Also, they’ll never take me
alive? What the hell is waltzing Matilda about?

So they actually had dozens of wired cameras all over the place to take
pictures of scruffy uninterested ball players who already needed to shower
before the game began? Or did they shoot those earlier and cut them into a
live feed?

I know that at least one of the striped teams players is Mormon.

Checking Ian’s Wikipedia article on waltzing Matilda…
OK it was written in 1895 but not published until 1903. But what the
literal hell?

The title was Australian slang for travelling on foot (waltzing) with one's
belongings in a "matilda" (swag) slung over one's back. The song narrates
the story of an itinerant worker, or "swagman", making a drink of billy tea
at a bush camp and capturing a stray jumbuck (sheep) to eat. When the
jumbuck's owner, a squatter (grazier), and three troopers (mounted
policemen) pursue the swagman for theft, he declares "You'll never catch me
alive!" and commits suicide by drowning himself in a nearby billabong
(watering hole), after which his ghost haunts the site.

I had no idea.

Re: death of Judith Durham

<tdqudc$1vhuf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=152981&group=rec.arts.tv#152981

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2022 08:25:32 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sat, 20 Aug 2022 15:25 UTC

On 2022-08-20 15:22:07 +0000, anim8rfsk said:

> Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
>> https://uk.style.yahoo.com/judith-durham-australias-folk-music-110355598.html
>>
>> Farewell to The Seekers.
>>
>> They were fantastically popular in Australia, but singing the theme from
>> the movie Georgy Girl (1966) gave them world-wide popularity.
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsIbfYEizLk
>>
>> The concert version is a little different than what's heard in the film.
>>
>> This is why they were so well beloved in Australia.
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjYEskzWt6I
>>
>> Waltzing Matilda begins at 6:30.
>>

> OK, so, first, thanks for that. It was fun to listen to.
>
> Now the befuddlement.
>
> I was wondering when the hell this was shot since it was in 4:3. They say
> it’s the Centenary of waltzing Matilda which was first published in 1903.
> But the video says This took place in 1994. Also, they’ll never take me
> alive? What the hell is waltzing Matilda about?
>
> So they actually had dozens of wired cameras all over the place to take
> pictures of scruffy uninterested ball players who already needed to shower
> before the game began? Or did they shoot those earlier and cut them into a
> live feed?
>
> I know that at least one of the striped teams players is Mormon.
>
> Checking Ian’s Wikipedia article on waltzing Matilda…
> OK it was written in 1895 but not published until 1903. But what the
> literal hell?
>
> The title was Australian slang for travelling on foot (waltzing) with one's
> belongings in a "matilda" (swag) slung over one's back. The song narrates
> the story of an itinerant worker, or "swagman", making a drink of billy tea
> at a bush camp and capturing a stray jumbuck (sheep) to eat. When the
> jumbuck's owner, a squatter (grazier), and three troopers (mounted
> policemen) pursue the swagman for theft, he declares "You'll never catch me
> alive!" and commits suicide by drowning himself in a nearby billabong
> (watering hole), after which his ghost haunts the site.
>
> I had no idea.

I think you've ruined the song for me!! ;)

Re: death of Judith Durham

<864323848.682703523.998563.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=152995&group=rec.arts.tv#152995

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2022 09:27:06 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sat, 20 Aug 2022 16:27 UTC

Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
> On 2022-08-20 15:22:07 +0000, anim8rfsk said:
>
>> Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
>>> https://uk.style.yahoo.com/judith-durham-australias-folk-music-110355598.html
>>>
>>> Farewell to The Seekers.
>>>
>>> They were fantastically popular in Australia, but singing the theme from
>>> the movie Georgy Girl (1966) gave them world-wide popularity.
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsIbfYEizLk
>>>
>>> The concert version is a little different than what's heard in the film.
>>>
>>> This is why they were so well beloved in Australia.
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjYEskzWt6I
>>>
>>> Waltzing Matilda begins at 6:30.
>>>

>> OK, so, first, thanks for that. It was fun to listen to.
>>
>> Now the befuddlement.
>>
>> I was wondering when the hell this was shot since it was in 4:3. They say
>> it’s the Centenary of waltzing Matilda which was first published in 1903.
>> But the video says This took place in 1994. Also, they’ll never take me
>> alive? What the hell is waltzing Matilda about?
>>
>> So they actually had dozens of wired cameras all over the place to take
>> pictures of scruffy uninterested ball players who already needed to shower
>> before the game began? Or did they shoot those earlier and cut them into a
>> live feed?
>>
>> I know that at least one of the striped teams players is Mormon.
>>
>> Checking Ian’s Wikipedia article on waltzing Matilda…
>> OK it was written in 1895 but not published until 1903. But what the
>> literal hell?
>>
>> The title was Australian slang for travelling on foot (waltzing) with one's
>> belongings in a "matilda" (swag) slung over one's back. The song narrates
>> the story of an itinerant worker, or "swagman", making a drink of billy tea
>> at a bush camp and capturing a stray jumbuck (sheep) to eat. When the
>> jumbuck's owner, a squatter (grazier), and three troopers (mounted
>> policemen) pursue the swagman for theft, he declares "You'll never catch me
>> alive!" and commits suicide by drowning himself in a nearby billabong
>> (watering hole), after which his ghost haunts the site.
>>
>> I had no idea.
>
> I think you've ruined the song for me!! ;)

Did they sing bad at your wedding?

Re: death of Judith Durham

<ohi2gh1o080i75j6lp8jl5fi3qoot92f8q@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=153040&group=rec.arts.tv#153040

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2022 13:56:34 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Sat, 20 Aug 2022 20:56 UTC

On Sat, 20 Aug 2022 08:22:07 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
wrote:

>I was wondering when the hell this was shot since it was in 4:3. They say
>it’s the Centenary of waltzing Matilda which was first published in 1903.
>But the video says This took place in 1994. Also, they’ll never take me
>alive? What the hell is waltzing Matilda about?

Rolf Harris once did a rendition of Waltzing Matilda where he
explained what all the uniquely Aussies terms meant.

Unfortunately he seems to have gone off the straight and narrow and
now is about as welcome at parties as Kevin Spacey or Woody Allen

Re: death of Judith Durham

<super70s-C754F2.17044820082022@reader01.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=153052&group=rec.arts.tv#153052

From: super...@super70s.invalid (super70s)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2022 17:04:48 -0500
 by: super70s - Sat, 20 Aug 2022 22:04 UTC

In article <tdqpsl$1u44b$1@dont-email.me>,
"Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

> https://uk.style.yahoo.com/judith-durham-australias-folk-music-110355598.html
>
> Farewell to The Seekers.
>
> They were fantastically popular in Australia, but singing the theme from
> the movie Georgy Girl (1966) gave them world-wide popularity.

"I'll Never Find Another You" is actually my favorite of theirs.

They seem to have sprang more from the folk movement, which peaked in
the early '60s, like Peter, Paul and Mary, The Kingston Trio and The New
Christy Minstrels in the US. That became passe after the Beatles hit but
The Seekers lucked out with three Top 40 hits in the mid-'60s in the US
and are considered part of the "British Invasion" today.

Re: death of Judith Durham

<1859700691.682730195.987150.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=153056&group=rec.arts.tv#153056

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2022 16:18:08 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sat, 20 Aug 2022 23:18 UTC

The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca> wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Aug 2022 08:22:07 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
> wrote:
>
>> I was wondering when the hell this was shot since it was in 4:3. They say
>> it’s the Centenary of waltzing Matilda which was first published in 1903.
>> But the video says This took place in 1994. Also, they’ll never take me
>> alive? What the hell is waltzing Matilda about?
>>
> Rolf Harris once did a rendition of Waltzing Matilda where he
> explained what all the uniquely Aussies terms meant.
>
> Unfortunately he seems to have gone off the straight and narrow and
> now is about as welcome at parties as Kevin Spacey or Woody Allen

I was wondering why there wasn’t a movie version but wiki says there have
been several including a cartoon when the song even has its own museum!

Re: death of Judith Durham

<dm13ghh918m20175bopd77rt3tbs3druuq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=153070&group=rec.arts.tv#153070

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2022 21:15:37 -0400
 by: shawn - Sun, 21 Aug 2022 01:15 UTC

On Sat, 20 Aug 2022 13:56:34 -0700, The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca>
wrote:

>On Sat, 20 Aug 2022 08:22:07 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
>wrote:
>
>>I was wondering when the hell this was shot since it was in 4:3. They say
>>it’s the Centenary of waltzing Matilda which was first published in 1903.
>>But the video says This took place in 1994. Also, they’ll never take me
>>alive? What the hell is waltzing Matilda about?
>>
>Rolf Harris once did a rendition of Waltzing Matilda where he
>explained what all the uniquely Aussies terms meant.
>
>Unfortunately he seems to have gone off the straight and narrow and
>now is about as welcome at parties as Kevin Spacey or Woody Allen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bl-YI44XYjI
Cool version of the song. I had heard a lot of these terms in the
game, Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel. I knew most of them but a few of
them escaped me as I hadn't heard them before and had no reference to
figure out what it meant.

Re: death of Judith Durham

<tdsb8r$28q1q$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=153087&group=rec.arts.tv#153087

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2022 04:11:08 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sun, 21 Aug 2022 04:11 UTC

super70s <super70s@super70s.invalid> wrote:
>"Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

>>https://uk.style.yahoo.com/judith-durham-australias-folk-music-110355598.html

>>Farewell to The Seekers.

>>They were fantastically popular in Australia, but singing the theme from
>>the movie Georgy Girl (1966) gave them world-wide popularity.

>"I'll Never Find Another You" is actually my favorite of theirs.

This is a clip from a television episode of something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZf41UudAbI

>They seem to have sprang more from the folk movement, which peaked in
>the early '60s, like Peter, Paul and Mary, The Kingston Trio and The New
>Christy Minstrels in the US. That became passe after the Beatles hit but
>The Seekers lucked out with three Top 40 hits in the mid-'60s in the US
>and are considered part of the "British Invasion" today.

Re: death of Judith Durham

<tdscop$28q1q$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=153088&group=rec.arts.tv#153088

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2022 04:36:41 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sun, 21 Aug 2022 04:36 UTC

Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
>super70s <super70s@super70s.invalid> wrote:
>>"Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

>>>https://uk.style.yahoo.com/judith-durham-australias-folk-music-110355598.html

>>>Farewell to The Seekers.

>>>They were fantastically popular in Australia, but singing the theme from
>>>the movie Georgy Girl (1966) gave them world-wide popularity.

>>"I'll Never Find Another You" is actually my favorite of theirs.

>This is a clip from a television episode of something.

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZf41UudAbI

>>They seem to have sprang more from the folk movement, which peaked in
>>the early '60s, like Peter, Paul and Mary, The Kingston Trio and The New
>>Christy Minstrels in the US. That became passe after the Beatles hit but
>>The Seekers lucked out with three Top 40 hits in the mid-'60s in the US
>>and are considered part of the "British Invasion" today.

"The Carnival is Over"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4ZipKdI1sY

"The Light Is Dark Enough" when Judith was a solo performer; I miss the
harmony.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9k_cJUG8K5c

Singing "Yesterday" as a pure folk song; Judith sings solo, the men just
play instruments
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2d7RSu0Xo0

A Seekers reunion three decades later; Judith's voice hasn't lost its
beauty. "It Doesn't Matter Anymore" by Paul Anka (originally sung by
Buddy Holly)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHqddDUtp4Q

Linda's version, torchier, came up, if you'd like to compare.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfMNnZL-YuM