arts / rec.arts.tv / Spellbinder (1988)

SubjectAuthor
* Spellbinder (1988)Adam H. Kerman
`* Re: Spellbinder (1988)anim8rfsk
 +* Re: Spellbinder (1988)Ian J. Ball
 |+* Re: Spellbinder (1988)Arthur Lipscomb
 ||`* Re: Spellbinder (1988)anim8rfsk
 || `* Re: Spellbinder (1988)Ian J. Ball
 ||  `- Re: Spellbinder (1988)anim8rfsk
 |`- Re: Spellbinder (1988)anim8rfsk
 `- Re: Spellbinder (1988)anim8rfsk

1
Spellbinder (1988)

<tdsfsf$296ki$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=153097&group=rec.arts.tv#153097

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Spellbinder (1988)
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2022 05:29:51 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sun, 21 Aug 2022 05:29 UTC

ePix has this, of course, since it's in the part of the MGM library that
hasn't yet been sold off. Never in wide release. This was during the
second period of Kerkorian ownership of MGM after the studio lot and
film library through 1986 had been separated from the studio. There was
never money for proper marketing.

The unsourced IMDb trivia claims Church of Scientology tried to ban the
movie.

I watched for Kelly Preston (Miranda). She was 26 and her hair was at its
most spectacular. I always liked her, at least before she married Vinnie
and became a Scientologist couple. I really don't know when she joined
the Church.

Ironically, this movie is about a witch's coven.

Lawyers and friends Jeff (Tim Daly) and Derek (Rick Rossovich) witness a
woman being punched by her boyfriend Aldys (Anthony Crivello). It's
Miranda. Jeff takes her home. Amazingly she's familiar with his taste
in music and has some mind-reading abililty that's a bit better than a
mentalist act cold read.

The coven plays mind games with Jeff, wanting her back. Mrs. White
(Audra Lindley, Mrs. Roper) shows up to threaten Jeff. The script is
predictable and pretty much telegraphs any revelations.

I just found Miss Preston mesmerizing, and she has a couple of very
brief nude scenes.

Alas, they could have tried harder. When Miranda goes missing for
several days, Jeff finds Lt. Lee (Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa who nearly never
plays a Japanese character) who has been following the coven's antics
ineffectively. But they do nothing with any police investigation.

The dog and cat Jeff owns keep vanishing. We see the cat in one scene
when he first brings Miranda home, then never again. We do see the dog
once more, but he runs off and isn't found.

Lots of familiar L.A. locations. L.A. City Hall, a stretch of beach
along the PCH that looked familiar. I think that was downtown Pasadena.
I know I've seen the huge home in other movies but I don't know who owns
it.

The whole thing came off like a tv movie, as the titles were clearly
large enough to be intended for tv airings. I don't recall ever seeing
it listed for tv. Actors largely known for TV. Janet Greek, a tv
director. The brief nude scenes were done in such a way that they could
be censored for broadcast.

I watched for Miss Preston's hair and tried not to remember she'd marry
Vinnie. Alas, she died recently, some horrible cancer.

Re: Spellbinder (1988)

<1512515199.682754324.669116.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=153147&group=rec.arts.tv#153147

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: Spellbinder (1988)
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2022 08:05:48 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sun, 21 Aug 2022 15:05 UTC

Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
> ePix has this, of course, since it's in the part of the MGM library that
> hasn't yet been sold off. Never in wide release. This was during the
> second period of Kerkorian ownership of MGM after the studio lot and
> film library through 1986 had been separated from the studio. There was
> never money for proper marketing.
>
> The unsourced IMDb trivia claims Church of Scientology tried to ban the
> movie.
>
> I watched for Kelly Preston (Miranda). She was 26 and her hair was at its
> most spectacular. I always liked her, at least before she married Vinnie
> and became a Scientologist couple. I really don't know when she joined
> the Church.
>
> Ironically, this movie is about a witch's coven.
>
> Lawyers and friends Jeff (Tim Daly) and Derek (Rick Rossovich) witness a
> woman being punched by her boyfriend Aldys (Anthony Crivello). It's
> Miranda. Jeff takes her home. Amazingly she's familiar with his taste
> in music and has some mind-reading abililty that's a bit better than a
> mentalist act cold read.
>
> The coven plays mind games with Jeff, wanting her back. Mrs. White
> (Audra Lindley, Mrs. Roper) shows up to threaten Jeff. The script is
> predictable and pretty much telegraphs any revelations.
>
> I just found Miss Preston mesmerizing, and she has a couple of very
> brief nude scenes.
>
> Alas, they could have tried harder. When Miranda goes missing for
> several days, Jeff finds Lt. Lee (Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa who nearly never
> plays a Japanese character) who has been following the coven's antics
> ineffectively. But they do nothing with any police investigation.
>
> The dog and cat Jeff owns keep vanishing. We see the cat in one scene
> when he first brings Miranda home, then never again. We do see the dog
> once more, but he runs off and isn't found.
>
> Lots of familiar L.A. locations. L.A. City Hall, a stretch of beach
> along the PCH that looked familiar. I think that was downtown Pasadena.
> I know I've seen the huge home in other movies but I don't know who owns
> it.
>
> The whole thing came off like a tv movie, as the titles were clearly
> large enough to be intended for tv airings. I don't recall ever seeing
> it listed for tv. Actors largely known for TV. Janet Greek, a tv
> director. The brief nude scenes were done in such a way that they could
> be censored for broadcast.
>
> I watched for Miss Preston's hair and tried not to remember she'd marry
> Vinnie. Alas, she died recently, some horrible cancer.

I’m going to recommend:
MISCHIEF Fun movie, excellent nude scene, great hair
SECRET ADMIRER Lori Loughlin in a bikini!
52 PICK UP Vanity! Roy Schieder! Excellent nude scene!
SKY HIGH fun superhero comedy, Kurt Russell

Alas, SPELLBINDER doesn’t seem to be available to me.

Re: Spellbinder (1988)

<tdtktk$2cht3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=153163&group=rec.arts.tv#153163

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2022 09:01:56 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sun, 21 Aug 2022 16:01 UTC

On 2022-08-21 15:05:48 +0000, anim8rfsk said:

> Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
>> ePix has this, of course, since it's in the part of the MGM library that
>> hasn't yet been sold off. Never in wide release. This was during the
>> second period of Kerkorian ownership of MGM after the studio lot and
>> film library through 1986 had been separated from the studio. There was
>> never money for proper marketing.
>>
>> The unsourced IMDb trivia claims Church of Scientology tried to ban the
>> movie.
>>
>> I watched for Kelly Preston (Miranda). She was 26 and her hair was at its
>> most spectacular. I always liked her, at least before she married Vinnie
>> and became a Scientologist couple. I really don't know when she joined
>> the Church.
>>
>> Ironically, this movie is about a witch's coven.
>>
>> Lawyers and friends Jeff (Tim Daly) and Derek (Rick Rossovich) witness a
>> woman being punched by her boyfriend Aldys (Anthony Crivello). It's
>> Miranda. Jeff takes her home. Amazingly she's familiar with his taste
>> in music and has some mind-reading abililty that's a bit better than a
>> mentalist act cold read.
>>
>> The coven plays mind games with Jeff, wanting her back. Mrs. White
>> (Audra Lindley, Mrs. Roper) shows up to threaten Jeff. The script is
>> predictable and pretty much telegraphs any revelations.
>>
>> I just found Miss Preston mesmerizing, and she has a couple of very
>> brief nude scenes.
>>
>> Alas, they could have tried harder. When Miranda goes missing for
>> several days, Jeff finds Lt. Lee (Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa who nearly never
>> plays a Japanese character) who has been following the coven's antics
>> ineffectively. But they do nothing with any police investigation.
>>
>> The dog and cat Jeff owns keep vanishing. We see the cat in one scene
>> when he first brings Miranda home, then never again. We do see the dog
>> once more, but he runs off and isn't found.
>>
>> Lots of familiar L.A. locations. L.A. City Hall, a stretch of beach
>> along the PCH that looked familiar. I think that was downtown Pasadena.
>> I know I've seen the huge home in other movies but I don't know who owns
>> it.
>>
>> The whole thing came off like a tv movie, as the titles were clearly
>> large enough to be intended for tv airings. I don't recall ever seeing
>> it listed for tv. Actors largely known for TV. Janet Greek, a tv
>> director. The brief nude scenes were done in such a way that they could
>> be censored for broadcast.
>>
>> I watched for Miss Preston's hair and tried not to remember she'd marry
>> Vinnie. Alas, she died recently, some horrible cancer.
>
> I’m going to recommend:
> MISCHIEF Fun movie, excellent nude scene, great hair
> SECRET ADMIRER Lori Loughlin in a bikini!
> 52 PICK UP Vanity! Roy Schieder! Excellent nude scene!
> SKY HIGH fun superhero comedy, Kurt Russell

These seem like some good recommends, though I'm not familiar with "Mischief".

> Alas, SPELLBINDER doesn’t seem to be available to me.

JustWatch says it's only on Amazon Prime, for pay. Not even Apple has
it. (Which is still better than "Lost & Delerious" which isn't
available *anywhere*!!)

When I saw Adam's thread, I thought he was talking about the mid-1990s
Aussie fantasy TV series, at first!!

Re: Spellbinder (1988)

<tdtps2$2d1g6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=153177&group=rec.arts.tv#153177

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2022 10:26:23 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Sun, 21 Aug 2022 17:26 UTC

On 8/21/2022 9:01 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> On 2022-08-21 15:05:48 +0000, anim8rfsk said:
>
>> Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
>>> ePix has this, of course, since it's in the part of the MGM library that
>>> hasn't yet been sold off. Never in wide release. This was during the
>>> second period of Kerkorian ownership of MGM after the studio lot and
>>> film library through 1986 had been separated from the studio. There was
>>> never money for proper marketing.

snip

>> Alas, SPELLBINDER doesn’t seem to be available to me.
>
> JustWatch says it's only on Amazon Prime, for pay. Not even Apple has
> it. (Which is still better than "Lost & Delerious" which isn't available
> *anywhere*!!)
>
> When I saw Adam's thread, I thought he was talking about the mid-1990s
> Aussie fantasy TV series, at first!!

Same!

I never did finish watching the second season. When it originally aired
the network stopped airing the second season about half way through.
Years later I eventually tracked down the show on DVD, but I've never
gotten around to finishing it. Last time I checked I think it was also
available to stream on Amazon, but I think they might have been charging
for it. It's been 20+ years or so. I still sort of remember where I
stopped, but I just don't see myself diving in the middle of the season
trying pick up where I left off!

Correction, I remember exactly where I stopped. The young female lead
was on a world where there were no children. She fell into the clutches
of an evil couple who planned to give her a serum which would trap her
at her current age so she could be their "daughter" forever. To be
continued. I really do need to finish watching so I can see what
happens next...

Re: Spellbinder (1988)

<725144573.682787212.470599.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=153226&group=rec.arts.tv#153226

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2022 14:59:00 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sun, 21 Aug 2022 21:59 UTC

anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
> Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
>> ePix has this, of course, since it's in the part of the MGM library that
>> hasn't yet been sold off. Never in wide release. This was during the
>> second period of Kerkorian ownership of MGM after the studio lot and
>> film library through 1986 had been separated from the studio. There was
>> never money for proper marketing.
>>
>> The unsourced IMDb trivia claims Church of Scientology tried to ban the
>> movie.
>>
>> I watched for Kelly Preston (Miranda). She was 26 and her hair was at its
>> most spectacular. I always liked her, at least before she married Vinnie
>> and became a Scientologist couple. I really don't know when she joined
>> the Church.
>>
>> Ironically, this movie is about a witch's coven.
>>
>> Lawyers and friends Jeff (Tim Daly) and Derek (Rick Rossovich) witness a
>> woman being punched by her boyfriend Aldys (Anthony Crivello). It's
>> Miranda. Jeff takes her home. Amazingly she's familiar with his taste
>> in music and has some mind-reading abililty that's a bit better than a
>> mentalist act cold read.
>>
>> The coven plays mind games with Jeff, wanting her back. Mrs. White
>> (Audra Lindley, Mrs. Roper) shows up to threaten Jeff. The script is
>> predictable and pretty much telegraphs any revelations.
>>
>> I just found Miss Preston mesmerizing, and she has a couple of very
>> brief nude scenes.
>>
>> Alas, they could have tried harder. When Miranda goes missing for
>> several days, Jeff finds Lt. Lee (Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa who nearly never
>> plays a Japanese character) who has been following the coven's antics
>> ineffectively. But they do nothing with any police investigation.
>>
>> The dog and cat Jeff owns keep vanishing. We see the cat in one scene
>> when he first brings Miranda home, then never again. We do see the dog
>> once more, but he runs off and isn't found.
>>
>> Lots of familiar L.A. locations. L.A. City Hall, a stretch of beach
>> along the PCH that looked familiar. I think that was downtown Pasadena.
>> I know I've seen the huge home in other movies but I don't know who owns
>> it.
>>
>> The whole thing came off like a tv movie, as the titles were clearly
>> large enough to be intended for tv airings. I don't recall ever seeing
>> it listed for tv. Actors largely known for TV. Janet Greek, a tv
>> director. The brief nude scenes were done in such a way that they could
>> be censored for broadcast.
>>
>> I watched for Miss Preston's hair and tried not to remember she'd marry
>> Vinnie. Alas, she died recently, some horrible cancer.
>>

> I’m going to recommend:
> MISCHIEF Fun movie, excellent nude scene, great hair
> SECRET ADMIRER Lori Loughlin in a bikini!
> 52 PICK UP Vanity! Roy Schieder! Excellent nude scene!
> SKY HIGH fun superhero comedy, Kurt Russell
>
> Alas, SPELLBINDER doesn’t seem to be available to me.

That was a lovely list, you know the kind Ian used to make? I’m not really
sure what took all the line returns out of it…

Re: Spellbinder (1988)

<1960963697.682812970.366242.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=153237&group=rec.arts.tv#153237

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2022 15:25:04 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sun, 21 Aug 2022 22:25 UTC

Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
> On 8/21/2022 9:01 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:

> snip
>>
>>> Alas, SPELLBINDER doesn’t seem to be available to me.
>>
>> JustWatch says it's only on Amazon Prime, for pay. Not even Apple has
>> it. (Which is still better than "Lost & Delerious" which isn't available
>> *anywhere*!!)
>>
>> When I saw Adam's thread, I thought he was talking about the mid-1990s
>> Aussie fantasy TV series, at first!!
>>

> Same!
>
> I never did finish watching the second season. When it originally aired
> the network stopped airing the second season about half way through.
> Years later I eventually tracked down the show on DVD, but I've never
> gotten around to finishing it. Last time I checked I think it was also
> available to stream on Amazon, but I think they might have been charging
> for it. It's been 20+ years or so. I still sort of remember where I
> stopped, but I just don't see myself diving in the middle of the season
> trying pick up where I left off!
>
> Correction, I remember exactly where I stopped. The young female lead
> was on a world where there were no children. She fell into the clutches
> of an evil couple who planned to give her a serum which would trap her
> at her current age so she could be their "daughter" forever. To be
> continued. I really do need to finish watching so I can see what
> happens next...

Just watch says it’s free on the Tubi.

The Tubi disagrees.

By the way the Amazon prime app for the PlayStation changed yesterday and
it doesn’t bear any sort of resemblance to the other Amazon prime apps now.
It’s simplified and full of big pictures and text you can actually read!

Re: Spellbinder (1988)

<485324970.682813070.991845.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=153238&group=rec.arts.tv#153238

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2022 15:25:05 -0700

Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
> On 2022-08-21 15:05:48 +0000, anim8rfsk said:
>
>> Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
>>> ePix has this, of course, since it's in the part of the MGM library that
>>> hasn't yet been sold off. Never in wide release. This was during the
>>> second period of Kerkorian ownership of MGM after the studio lot and
>>> film library through 1986 had been separated from the studio. There was
>>> never money for proper marketing.
>>>
>>> The unsourced IMDb trivia claims Church of Scientology tried to ban the
>>> movie.
>>>
>>> I watched for Kelly Preston (Miranda). She was 26 and her hair was at its
>>> most spectacular. I always liked her, at least before she married Vinnie
>>> and became a Scientologist couple. I really don't know when she joined
>>> the Church.
>>>
>>> Ironically, this movie is about a witch's coven.
>>>
>>> Lawyers and friends Jeff (Tim Daly) and Derek (Rick Rossovich) witness a
>>> woman being punched by her boyfriend Aldys (Anthony Crivello). It's
>>> Miranda. Jeff takes her home. Amazingly she's familiar with his taste
>>> in music and has some mind-reading abililty that's a bit better than a
>>> mentalist act cold read.
>>>
>>> The coven plays mind games with Jeff, wanting her back. Mrs. White
>>> (Audra Lindley, Mrs. Roper) shows up to threaten Jeff. The script is
>>> predictable and pretty much telegraphs any revelations.
>>>
>>> I just found Miss Preston mesmerizing, and she has a couple of very
>>> brief nude scenes.
>>>
>>> Alas, they could have tried harder. When Miranda goes missing for
>>> several days, Jeff finds Lt. Lee (Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa who nearly never
>>> plays a Japanese character) who has been following the coven's antics
>>> ineffectively. But they do nothing with any police investigation.
>>>
>>> The dog and cat Jeff owns keep vanishing. We see the cat in one scene
>>> when he first brings Miranda home, then never again. We do see the dog
>>> once more, but he runs off and isn't found.
>>>
>>> Lots of familiar L.A. locations. L.A. City Hall, a stretch of beach
>>> along the PCH that looked familiar. I think that was downtown Pasadena.
>>> I know I've seen the huge home in other movies but I don't know who owns
>>> it.
>>>
>>> The whole thing came off like a tv movie, as the titles were clearly
>>> large enough to be intended for tv airings. I don't recall ever seeing
>>> it listed for tv. Actors largely known for TV. Janet Greek, a tv
>>> director. The brief nude scenes were done in such a way that they could
>>> be censored for broadcast.
>>>
>>> I watched for Miss Preston's hair and tried not to remember she'd marry
>>> Vinnie. Alas, she died recently, some horrible cancer.
>>
>> I’m going to recommend:
>> MISCHIEF Fun movie, excellent nude scene, great hair
>> SECRET ADMIRER Lori Loughlin in a bikini!
>> 52 PICK UP Vanity! Roy Schieder! Excellent nude scene!
>> SKY HIGH fun superhero comedy, Kurt Russell
>
> These seem like some good recommends, though I'm not familiar with "Mischief".

Wow. You should be. Maybe you can get to it after your honeymoon?

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/51W1BSP1NNL.jpg

>> Alas, SPELLBINDER doesn’t seem to be available to me.
>
> JustWatch says it's only on Amazon Prime, for pay. Not even Apple has
> it. (Which is still better than "Lost & Delerious" which isn't
> available *anywhere*!!)
>
> When I saw Adam's thread, I thought he was talking about the mid-1990s
> Aussie fantasy TV series, at first!!

Re: Spellbinder (1988)

<tdubt4$2eres$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=153239&group=rec.arts.tv#153239

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2022 15:34:12 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sun, 21 Aug 2022 22:34 UTC

On 2022-08-21 22:25:04 +0000, anim8rfsk said:

> Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>> snip

>>> JustWatch says it's only on Amazon Prime, for pay. Not even Apple has
>>> it. (Which is still better than "Lost & Delerious" which isn't available
>>> *anywhere*!!)
>>>
>>> When I saw Adam's thread, I thought he was talking about the mid-1990s
>>> Aussie fantasy TV series, at first!!
>>
>> Same!
>>
>> I never did finish watching the second season. When it originally aired
>> the network stopped airing the second season about half way through.
>> Years later I eventually tracked down the show on DVD, but I've never
>> gotten around to finishing it. Last time I checked I think it was also
>> available to stream on Amazon, but I think they might have been charging
>> for it. It's been 20+ years or so. I still sort of remember where I
>> stopped, but I just don't see myself diving in the middle of the season
>> trying pick up where I left off!
>>
>> Correction, I remember exactly where I stopped. The young female lead
>> was on a world where there were no children. She fell into the clutches
>> of an evil couple who planned to give her a serum which would trap her
>> at her current age so she could be their "daughter" forever. To be
>> continued. I really do need to finish watching so I can see what
>> happens next...
>
> Just watch says it’s free on the Tubi.
>
> The Tubi disagrees.

My Tubi phone app confirms they have the "Spellbinder" TV series (both
seasons).

Makes sense - Tubi is where I watched both "The Tribe" and "Atlantis
High", so Tubi has a good library of stuff like this (though not the
Canadian skiffy TV series, unfortunately...).

> By the way the Amazon prime app for the PlayStation changed yesterday and
> it doesn’t bear any sort of resemblance to the other Amazon prime apps now.
> It’s simplified and full of big pictures and text you can actually read!

Prime has *neither* "Spellbinder" for free!!

Re: Spellbinder (1988)

<943565600.682822778.793530.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=153265&group=rec.arts.tv#153265

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2022 18:01:50 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Mon, 22 Aug 2022 01:01 UTC

;(

Maybe you should settle for MISCHIEF?