From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Chicago's public art censorship committee releases its report
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2022 06:09:52 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sun, 21 Aug 2022 06:09 UTC

Mayor Lori Lightfoot formed a committee to censor public art in Chicago
after violent rioters battled police in Grant Park at the Columbus
statue in 2020.

As expected, the two Columbus statues are recommended not to be
returned. Of course the one in Arrigo Park was paid for by Italian
ethnic merchants and I guess that lawsuit is still pending.

The Balbo monument, which I've explained about elsewhere, is proposed
for removal. Balbo is one of the men who organized the Fascists in Italy
and installed Mussolini in power. The monument, erected in 1934, stood
all throughout WWII when Italy was the enemy.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/city-hall/2022/8/19/23313228/columbus-statue-monument-commission

Who knows what Lightfoot will do. Maybe she's going to put off her own
decision till after the February mayor's election (or April runoff if
she doesn't win a majority).

Re: Chicago's public art censorship committee releases its report

<293780956.682790859.328462.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=153232&group=rec.arts.tv#153232

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2022 14:59:05 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sun, 21 Aug 2022 21:59 UTC

Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
> Mayor Lori Lightfoot formed a committee to censor public art in Chicago
> after violent rioters battled police in Grant Park at the Columbus
> statue in 2020.
>
> As expected, the two Columbus statues are recommended not to be
> returned. Of course the one in Arrigo Park was paid for by Italian
> ethnic merchants and I guess that lawsuit is still pending.
>
> The Balbo monument, which I've explained about elsewhere, is proposed
> for removal. Balbo is one of the men who organized the Fascists in Italy
> and installed Mussolini in power. The monument, erected in 1934, stood
> all throughout WWII when Italy was the enemy.
>
> https://chicago.suntimes.com/city-hall/2022/8/19/23313228/columbus-statue-monument-commission
>
> Who knows what Lightfoot will do. Maybe she's going to put off her own
> decision till after the February mayor's election (or April runoff if
> she doesn't win a majority).

Why don’t you people just spend millions building stargates or mud lizards
like we do?