arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: Progressive says CNN exists only to parrot the Democrat Party.

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Progressive says CNN exists only to parrot the Democrat Party.trotsky
+* Re: Progressive says CNN exists only to parrot the Democrat Party.A Friend
|+- Re: Progressive says CNN exists only to parrot the Democrat Party.Rhino
|+- Re: Progressive says CNN exists only to parrot the Democrat Party.moviePig
|`- Re: Progressive says CNN exists only to parrot the Democrat Party.trotsky
`- Re: Progressive says CNN exists only to parrot the Democrat Party.trotsky

1
Re: Progressive says CNN exists only to parrot the Democrat Party.

<te247b$1mmm$3@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=153529&group=rec.arts.tv#153529

From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: Progressive says CNN exists only to parrot the Democrat Party.
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2022 03:47:39 -0500
 by: trotsky - Tue, 23 Aug 2022 08:47 UTC

On 8/22/2022 6:06 PM, RichA wrote:
> I heard this today on the radio. A progressive who worked with a radical
> political scientist named Zinn basically said most of the news outlets simply parrot what they are fed by the government in power.

Interesting, so your psychotic brain still thinks a representative
sampling of one is statistically significant. Normal people would say
"that's just one guys opinion.

Re: Progressive says CNN exists only to parrot the Democrat Party.

<230820220659597412%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=153557&group=rec.arts.tv#153557

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2022 06:59:59 -0400
 by: A Friend - Tue, 23 Aug 2022 10:59 UTC

In article <te247b$1mmm$3@gioia.aioe.org>, trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
wrote:

> On 8/22/2022 6:06 PM, RichA wrote:
> > I heard this today on the radio. A progressive who worked with a radical
> > political scientist named Zinn basically said most of the news outlets
> > simply parrot what they are fed by the government in power.
>

> Interesting, so your psychotic brain still thinks a representative
> sampling of one is statistically significant. Normal people would say
> "that's just one guys opinion.

He's taking about Howard Zinn, a self-styled radical historian who was
talking shit like that while I was in high school fifty-something years
ago. Zinn had a following, back in the day, but that day was the late
1960s.

Re: Progressive says CNN exists only to parrot the Democrat Party.

<te2fbj$2vspt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=153576&group=rec.arts.tv#153576

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2022 07:57:31 -0400
 by: Rhino - Tue, 23 Aug 2022 11:57 UTC

On 2022-08-23 6:59 AM, A Friend wrote:
> In article <te247b$1mmm$3@gioia.aioe.org>, trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 8/22/2022 6:06 PM, RichA wrote:
>>> I heard this today on the radio. A progressive who worked with a radical
>>> political scientist named Zinn basically said most of the news outlets
>>> simply parrot what they are fed by the government in power.
>>

>> Interesting, so your psychotic brain still thinks a representative
>> sampling of one is statistically significant. Normal people would say
>> "that's just one guys opinion.
>

> He's taking about Howard Zinn, a self-styled radical historian who was
> talking shit like that while I was in high school fifty-something years
> ago. Zinn had a following, back in the day, but that day was the late
> 1960s.

I remember reading that in recent years - the 2010s - his People's
History of the United States was the most widely used history book in US
college (and high school?) classes. I've seen it in bookstores myself,
bookstores that tend not to have older books or those that are of minor
interest/sales. By my reckoning this makes him far more just some guy
who had a following back in the 60s.

As to Zinn's beliefs, here's a quote from Wikipedia:
Zinn came to believe that the point of view expressed in traditional
history books was often limited. Biographer Martin Duberman noted that
when he was asked directly if he was a Marxist, Zinn replied, "Yes, I'm
something of a Marxist." He especially was influenced by the liberating
vision of the young Marx in overcoming alienation, and disliked what he
perceived to be Marx's later dogmatism. In later life he moved more
toward anarchism.[28]

[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_Zinn]

Rhino

Re: Progressive says CNN exists only to parrot the Democrat Party.

<Yz5NK.1081350$X_i.630485@fx18.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=153590&group=rec.arts.tv#153590

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2022 10:34:31 -0400
 by: moviePig - Tue, 23 Aug 2022 14:34 UTC

On 8/23/2022 6:59 AM, A Friend wrote:
> In article <te247b$1mmm$3@gioia.aioe.org>, trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 8/22/2022 6:06 PM, RichA wrote:
>>> I heard this today on the radio. A progressive who worked with a radical
>>> political scientist named Zinn basically said most of the news outlets
>>> simply parrot what they are fed by the government in power.
>>

>> Interesting, so your psychotic brain still thinks a representative
>> sampling of one is statistically significant. Normal people would say
>> "that's just one guys opinion.
>

> He's taking about Howard Zinn, a self-styled radical historian who was
> talking shit like that while I was in high school fifty-something years
> ago. Zinn had a following, back in the day, but that day was the late
> 1960s.

( https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0416825 )

Re: Progressive says CNN exists only to parrot the Democrat Party.

<te3ker$18pq$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=153632&group=rec.arts.tv#153632

From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2022 17:30:51 -0500
 by: trotsky - Tue, 23 Aug 2022 22:30 UTC

On 8/23/2022 10:08 AM, RichA wrote:
> On Tuesday, 23 August 2022 at 04:47:44 UTC-4, gmsin...@gmail.com wrote:
>> On 8/22/2022 6:06 PM, RichA wrote:
>>> I heard this today on the radio. A progressive who worked with a radical
>>> political scientist named Zinn basically said most of the news outlets simply parrot what they are fed by the government in power.
>> Interesting, so your psychotic brain still thinks a representative
>> sampling of one is statistically significant. Normal people would say
>> "that's just one guys opinion.
>
> The main idea behind what he said was that the media for the most part dutifully report what they are allowed to report and nothing else.
> I've criticized the media before for offering up what are essentially politicized opinions while rarely if ever pursuing the validity of claims
> made by the politicians they parrot. The Ukraine-Russian war has been a field-day for bland media propaganda.

That's because you're a fucking idiot. If I want to watch news there's
only one channel: Al Jazeera. They have the most comprehensive news
with the best reporters. Nothing else comes close. I watch CBS for
coverage of U.S. politics. That's it. I don't watch CNN, I don't watch
MSNBC, and it doesn't seem like right wing assholes such as yourself
watch Fox News because you know it's shit. CNN was good when Ted Turner
ran it but Jeff Zucker turned it into a pile of shit. I know you don't
comprehend any of this I"m just saying it for my own edification.

Re: Progressive says CNN exists only to parrot the Democrat Party.

<te3las$1bpm$6@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=153638&group=rec.arts.tv#153638

From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2022 17:45:48 -0500
 by: trotsky - Tue, 23 Aug 2022 22:45 UTC

On 8/23/2022 5:59 AM, A Friend wrote:
> In article <te247b$1mmm$3@gioia.aioe.org>, trotsky <gmsingh@email.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 8/22/2022 6:06 PM, RichA wrote:
>>> I heard this today on the radio. A progressive who worked with a radical
>>> political scientist named Zinn basically said most of the news outlets
>>> simply parrot what they are fed by the government in power.
>>

>> Interesting, so your psychotic brain still thinks a representative
>> sampling of one is statistically significant. Normal people would say
>> "that's just one guys opinion.
>

> He's taking about Howard Zinn, a self-styled radical historian who was
> talking shit like that while I was in high school fifty-something years
> ago. Zinn had a following, back in the day, but that day was the late
> 1960s.

That's great, he finds something from the late 60s profound. Sounds
like to me he found Timothy Leary as the profound one prior to that.