arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: Sean Connery's 1964 Aston Martin DB5 sells for $2.4 million

SubjectAuthor
* Sean Connery's 1964 Aston Martin DB5 sells for $2.4 millionsuper70s
`* Re: Sean Connery's 1964 Aston Martin DB5 sells for $2.4 millionYour Name
 `* Re: Sean Connery's 1964 Aston Martin DB5 sells for $2.4 millionsuper70s
  +* Re: Sean Connery's 1964 Aston Martin DB5 sells for $2.4 millionDimensional Traveler
  |+- Re: Sean Connery's 1964 Aston Martin DB5 sells for $2.4 millionsuper70s
  |`- Re: Sean Connery's 1964 Aston Martin DB5 sells for $2.4 millionanim8rfsk
  `* Re: Sean Connery's 1964 Aston Martin DB5 sells for $2.4 millionYour Name
   `* Re: Sean Connery's 1964 Aston Martin DB5 sells for $2.4 millionDimensional Traveler
    +* Re: Sean Connery's 1964 Aston Martin DB5 sells for $2.4 millionanim8rfsk
    |`* Re: Sean Connery's 1964 Aston Martin DB5 sells for $2.4 millionYour Name
    | `- Re: Sean Connery's 1964 Aston Martin DB5 sells for $2.4 millionA Friend
    `* Re: Sean Connery's 1964 Aston Martin DB5 sells for $2.4 millionYour Name
     `- Re: Sean Connery's 1964 Aston Martin DB5 sells for $2.4 millionDimensional Traveler

1
Sean Connery's 1964 Aston Martin DB5 sells for $2.4 million

<super70s-8D9F36.17173821082022@reader01.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=153234&group=rec.arts.tv#153234

From: super...@super70s.invalid (super70s)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv,alt.fan.james-bond
Subject: Sean Connery's 1964 Aston Martin DB5 sells for $2.4 million
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2022 17:17:38 -0500
 by: super70s - Sun, 21 Aug 2022 22:17 UTC

I was not aware the late Connery was so fond of the car he bought one
for himself many decades later, apparently without the machine guns in
front and "ejector seat?....you must be joking!"

Sad that he was in such advanced years he never got the opportunity to
drive it that much.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/20/business/sean-connery-aston-martin-db5-sal
e/index.html

Re: Sean Connery's 1964 Aston Martin DB5 sells for $2.4 million

<tdv8lv$lhn$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=153315&group=rec.arts.tv#153315

From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2022 18:45:19 +1200
 by: Your Name - Mon, 22 Aug 2022 06:45 UTC

On 2022-08-21 22:17:38 +0000, super70s said:

> I was not aware the late Connery was so fond of the car he bought one
> for himself many decades later, apparently without the machine guns in
> front and "ejector seat?....you must be joking!"
>
> Sad that he was in such advanced years he never got the opportunity to
> drive it that much.
>
> <https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/20/business/sean-connery-aston-martin-db5-sale/index.html>

A life-size Lego version was unveiled at the London Lego store just
over a week ago. It took about 57 days to build and weighs two-thirds
of the weight of the real car.

<https://www.thedrive.com/news/this-life-sized-lego-aston-martin-db5-is-made-from-347954-bricks>

According to Lego, the iconic Aston is made up of 347,954 plastic
bricks and even features several of Bond's gadgets to lose the
bad guys. It's got a rotating license plate and a bad-guy ejector
seat. In fact, part of the roof structure and the passenger seat
is missing, making it look like Bond's nemesis has already been
ejected from the car.

Re: Sean Connery's 1964 Aston Martin DB5 sells for $2.4 million

<super70s-A28025.16020422082022@reader01.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=153444&group=rec.arts.tv#153444

From: super...@super70s.invalid (super70s)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2022 16:02:04 -0500
 by: super70s - Mon, 22 Aug 2022 21:02 UTC

In article <tdv8lv$lhn$1@gioia.aioe.org>,
Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:

> On 2022-08-21 22:17:38 +0000, super70s said:
>
> > I was not aware the late Connery was so fond of the car he bought one
> > for himself many decades later, apparently without the machine guns in
> > front and "ejector seat?....you must be joking!"
> >
> > Sad that he was in such advanced years he never got the opportunity to
> > drive it that much.
> >
> > <https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/20/business/sean-connery-aston-martin-
> > db5-sale/index.html>
> >

> A life-size Lego version was unveiled at the London Lego store just
> over a week ago. It took about 57 days to build and weighs two-thirds
> of the weight of the real car.
>
> <https://www.thedrive.com/news/this-life-sized-lego-aston-martin-db5-is-
> made-from-347954-bricks>
>

> According to Lego, the iconic Aston is made up of 347,954 plastic
> bricks and even features several of Bond's gadgets to lose the
> bad guys. It's got a rotating license plate and a bad-guy ejector
> seat. In fact, part of the roof structure and the passenger seat
> is missing, making it look like Bond's nemesis has already been
> ejected from the car.

Amazing but how could a Lego double-decker bus be only 270,844 bricks?
Not to scale I would imagine, lol.

I was watching that Collector's Call on MeTV yesterday and some spy
memorabilia collector claimed to have the (well-preserved) tarantula
from Dr. No.

I always chuckle when I see that scene because it's so obvious they just
filmed Bond in bed, then put a tarantula on the screen and filmed that.

Today they'd just CGI it in.

Re: Sean Connery's 1964 Aston Martin DB5 sells for $2.4 million

<te0ulk$2p0ub$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=153469&group=rec.arts.tv#153469

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2022 15:06:46 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Mon, 22 Aug 2022 22:06 UTC

On 8/22/2022 2:02 PM, super70s wrote:
> In article <tdv8lv$lhn$1@gioia.aioe.org>,
> Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2022-08-21 22:17:38 +0000, super70s said:
>>
>>> I was not aware the late Connery was so fond of the car he bought one
>>> for himself many decades later, apparently without the machine guns in
>>> front and "ejector seat?....you must be joking!"
>>>
>>> Sad that he was in such advanced years he never got the opportunity to
>>> drive it that much.
>>>
>>> <https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/20/business/sean-connery-aston-martin-
>>> db5-sale/index.html>
>>>

>> A life-size Lego version was unveiled at the London Lego store just
>> over a week ago. It took about 57 days to build and weighs two-thirds
>> of the weight of the real car.
>>
>> <https://www.thedrive.com/news/this-life-sized-lego-aston-martin-db5-is-
>> made-from-347954-bricks>
>>

>> According to Lego, the iconic Aston is made up of 347,954 plastic
>> bricks and even features several of Bond's gadgets to lose the
>> bad guys. It's got a rotating license plate and a bad-guy ejector
>> seat. In fact, part of the roof structure and the passenger seat
>> is missing, making it look like Bond's nemesis has already been
>> ejected from the car.
>
> Amazing but how could a Lego double-decker bus be only 270,844 bricks?
> Not to scale I would imagine, lol.
>
> I was watching that Collector's Call on MeTV yesterday and some spy
> memorabilia collector claimed to have the (well-preserved) tarantula
> from Dr. No.
>
> I always chuckle when I see that scene because it's so obvious they just
> filmed Bond in bed, then put a tarantula on the screen and filmed that.
>
> Today they'd just CGI it in.

I believe the tarantula was on a glass plate in the room with Connery.

dirty old man.

Re: Sean Connery's 1964 Aston Martin DB5 sells for $2.4 million

<super70s-7F89BD.18295722082022@reader01.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=153480&group=rec.arts.tv#153480

From: super...@super70s.invalid (super70s)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2022 18:29:57 -0500
 by: super70s - Mon, 22 Aug 2022 23:29 UTC

In article <te0ulk$2p0ub$3@dont-email.me>,
Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

> On 8/22/2022 2:02 PM, super70s wrote:
> > In article <tdv8lv$lhn$1@gioia.aioe.org>,
> > Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:

> >> A life-size Lego version was unveiled at the London Lego store just
> >> over a week ago. It took about 57 days to build and weighs two-thirds
> >> of the weight of the real car.
> >>
> >> <https://www.thedrive.com/news/this-life-sized-lego-aston-martin-db5-is-
> >> made-from-347954-bricks>
> >>

> >> According to Lego, the iconic Aston is made up of 347,954 plastic
> >> bricks and even features several of Bond's gadgets to lose the
> >> bad guys. It's got a rotating license plate and a bad-guy ejector
> >> seat. In fact, part of the roof structure and the passenger seat
> >> is missing, making it look like Bond's nemesis has already been
> >> ejected from the car.
> >
> > Amazing but how could a Lego double-decker bus be only 270,844 bricks?
> > Not to scale I would imagine, lol.
> >
> > I was watching that Collector's Call on MeTV yesterday and some spy
> > memorabilia collector claimed to have the (well-preserved) tarantula
> > from Dr. No.
> >
> > I always chuckle when I see that scene because it's so obvious they just
> > filmed Bond in bed, then put a tarantula on the screen and filmed that.
> >
> > Today they'd just CGI it in.
>
> I believe the tarantula was on a glass plate in the room with Connery.

Yeah that would work too, to the relief of Connery.

Re: Sean Connery's 1964 Aston Martin DB5 sells for $2.4 million

<1317422460.682915793.190321.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=153503&group=rec.arts.tv#153503

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2022 20:18:28 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Tue, 23 Aug 2022 03:18 UTC

Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
> On 8/22/2022 2:02 PM, super70s wrote:
>> In article <tdv8lv$lhn$1@gioia.aioe.org>,
>> Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:

>>> A life-size Lego version was unveiled at the London Lego store just
>>> over a week ago. It took about 57 days to build and weighs two-thirds
>>> of the weight of the real car.
>>>
>>> <https://www.thedrive.com/news/this-life-sized-lego-aston-martin-db5-is-
>>> made-from-347954-bricks>
>>>

>>> According to Lego, the iconic Aston is made up of 347,954 plastic
>>> bricks and even features several of Bond's gadgets to lose the
>>> bad guys. It's got a rotating license plate and a bad-guy ejector
>>> seat. In fact, part of the roof structure and the passenger seat
>>> is missing, making it look like Bond's nemesis has already been
>>> ejected from the car.
>>
>> Amazing but how could a Lego double-decker bus be only 270,844 bricks?
>> Not to scale I would imagine, lol.
>>
>> I was watching that Collector's Call on MeTV yesterday and some spy
>> memorabilia collector claimed to have the (well-preserved) tarantula
>> from Dr. No.
>>
>> I always chuckle when I see that scene because it's so obvious they just
>> filmed Bond in bed, then put a tarantula on the screen and filmed that.
>>
>> Today they'd just CGI it in.
>
> I believe the tarantula was on a glass plate in the room with Connery.

Yes

Re: Sean Connery's 1964 Aston Martin DB5 sells for $2.4 million

<te1jen$5jb$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=153512&group=rec.arts.tv#153512

From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2022 16:01:27 +1200
 by: Your Name - Tue, 23 Aug 2022 04:01 UTC

On 2022-08-22 21:02:04 +0000, super70s said:
> In article <tdv8lv$lhn$1@gioia.aioe.org>,
> Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:
>> On 2022-08-21 22:17:38 +0000, super70s said:
>>>
>>> I was not aware the late Connery was so fond of the car he bought one
>>> for himself many decades later, apparently without the machine guns in
>>> front and "ejector seat?....you must be joking!"
>>>
>>> Sad that he was in such advanced years he never got the opportunity to
>>> drive it that much.
>>>
>>> <https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/20/business/sean-connery-aston-martin-
>>> db5-sale/index.html>
>>>

>> A life-size Lego version was unveiled at the London Lego store just
>> over a week ago. It took about 57 days to build and weighs two-thirds
>> of the weight of the real car.
>>
>> <https://www.thedrive.com/news/this-life-sized-lego-aston-martin-db5-is-
>> made-from-347954-bricks>
>>

>> According to Lego, the iconic Aston is made up of 347,954 plastic
>> bricks and even features several of Bond's gadgets to lose the
>> bad guys. It's got a rotating license plate and a bad-guy ejector
>> seat. In fact, part of the roof structure and the passenger seat
>> is missing, making it look like Bond's nemesis has already been
>> ejected from the car.
>
> Amazing but how could a Lego double-decker bus be only 270,844 bricks?
> Not to scale I would imagine, lol.
<snip>

Yep. Most of the other models that article mentions are just regular
Lego sets you can buy in the shop. The Aston Martin though was a
custom-made life-size version. There have been other life size models,
including a Lego Technic Lamborghini.
<https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a36706584/lego-lamborghini-sian-full-size/>

Re: Sean Connery's 1964 Aston Martin DB5 sells for $2.4 million

<te1lcc$2tjpa$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=153518&group=rec.arts.tv#153518

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2022 21:34:23 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Tue, 23 Aug 2022 04:34 UTC

On 8/22/2022 9:01 PM, Your Name wrote:
> On 2022-08-22 21:02:04 +0000, super70s said:
>> In article <tdv8lv$lhn$1@gioia.aioe.org>,
>>  Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:

>>> A life-size Lego version was unveiled at the London Lego store just
>>> over a week ago. It took about 57 days to build and weighs two-thirds
>>> of the weight of the real car.
>>>
>>> <https://www.thedrive.com/news/this-life-sized-lego-aston-martin-db5-is-
>>> made-from-347954-bricks>
>>>

>>> According to Lego, the iconic Aston is made up of 347,954 plastic
>>> bricks and even features several of Bond's gadgets to lose the
>>> bad guys. It's got a rotating license plate and a bad-guy ejector
>>> seat. In fact, part of the roof structure and the passenger seat
>>> is missing, making it look like Bond's nemesis has already been
>>> ejected from the car.
>>
>> Amazing but how could a Lego double-decker bus be only 270,844 bricks?
>> Not to scale I would imagine, lol.
> <snip>
>
> Yep. Most of the other models that article mentions are just regular
> Lego sets you can buy in the shop. The Aston Martin though was a
> custom-made life-size version. There have been other life size models,
> including a Lego Technic Lamborghini.
> <https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a36706584/lego-lamborghini-sian-full-size/>

I remember seeing pictures of a life size Lego X-Wing.

dirty old man.

Re: Sean Connery's 1964 Aston Martin DB5 sells for $2.4 million

<652543505.682927189.364276.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=153522&group=rec.arts.tv#153522

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2022 23:00:21 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Tue, 23 Aug 2022 06:00 UTC

Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
> On 8/22/2022 9:01 PM, Your Name wrote:
>> On 2022-08-22 21:02:04 +0000, super70s said:

>>> Amazing but how could a Lego double-decker bus be only 270,844 bricks?
>>> Not to scale I would imagine, lol.
>> <snip>
>>
>> Yep. Most of the other models that article mentions are just regular
>> Lego sets you can buy in the shop. The Aston Martin though was a
>> custom-made life-size version. There have been other life size models,
>> including a Lego Technic Lamborghini.
>> <https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a36706584/lego-lamborghini-sian-full-size/>
>>
> I remember seeing pictures of a life size Lego X-Wing.

How big are life-size Legos?

Re: Sean Connery's 1964 Aston Martin DB5 sells for $2.4 million

<te1sm4$qfb$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=153523&group=rec.arts.tv#153523

From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2022 18:39:00 +1200
 by: Your Name - Tue, 23 Aug 2022 06:39 UTC

On 2022-08-23 04:34:23 +0000, Dimensional Traveler said:

> On 8/22/2022 9:01 PM, Your Name wrote:
>> On 2022-08-22 21:02:04 +0000, super70s said:

>>> Amazing but how could a Lego double-decker bus be only 270,844 bricks?
>>> Not to scale I would imagine, lol.
>> <snip>
>>
>> Yep. Most of the other models that article mentions are just regular
>> Lego sets you can buy in the shop. The Aston Martin though was a
>> custom-made life-size version. There have been other life size models,
>> including a Lego Technic Lamborghini.
>> <https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a36706584/lego-lamborghini-sian-full-size/>
>
> I remember seeing pictures of a life size Lego X-Wing.

Yep, that was another of the life-size Lego models. It was in 2013 in
Times Square, New York.
<https://www.nbcnews.com/technolog/life-sized-star-wars-x-wing-fighter-worlds-largest-lego-6c10051746>

Re: Sean Connery's 1964 Aston Martin DB5 sells for $2.4 million

<te1t7v$10lb$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=153524&group=rec.arts.tv#153524

From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2022 18:48:31 +1200
 by: Your Name - Tue, 23 Aug 2022 06:48 UTC

On 2022-08-23 06:00:21 +0000, anim8rfsk said:
> Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>>> <snip>
>>>
>>> Yep. Most of the other models that article mentions are just regular
>>> Lego sets you can buy in the shop. The Aston Martin though was a
>>> custom-made life-size version. There have been other life size models,
>>> including a Lego Technic Lamborghini.
>>> <https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a36706584/lego-lamborghini-sian-full-size/>
>>
>> I remember seeing pictures of a life size Lego X-Wing.
>
> How big are life-size Legos?

There's no such thing as "Legos" - it's another silly incorrect Americanism.

The correct terms are "Lego", "Lego bricks", "Lego sets", etc. (In
fact, the 100% corect terms require the company/toy name to be in
sapital letters "LEGO" appended with the registered trademark symbol of
a superscript R in a circle.)

The models are 1:1 size ... hence "life-size".

The Lego bricks they're made of are normal size Lego bricks (although
some of the models do cheat and have custom bricks, but they are still
regular size). That's why the Aston Martin above required 347,954
bricks. Due to the weight involved, most life-size models do have some
sort of metal framework inside to support them.

Re: Sean Connery's 1964 Aston Martin DB5 sells for $2.4 million

<te2b21$2veij$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=153551&group=rec.arts.tv#153551

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2022 03:44:17 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Tue, 23 Aug 2022 10:44 UTC

On 8/22/2022 11:39 PM, Your Name wrote:
> On 2022-08-23 04:34:23 +0000, Dimensional Traveler said:

>>> <snip>
>>>
>>> Yep. Most of the other models that article mentions are just regular
>>> Lego sets you can buy in the shop. The Aston Martin though was a
>>> custom-made life-size version. There have been other life size
>>> models, including a Lego Technic Lamborghini.
>>> <https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a36706584/lego-lamborghini-sian-full-size/>
>>>

>> I remember seeing pictures of a life size Lego X-Wing.
>
> Yep, that was another of the life-size Lego models. It was in 2013 in
> Times Square, New York.
> <https://www.nbcnews.com/technolog/life-sized-star-wars-x-wing-fighter-worlds-largest-lego-6c10051746>

Complete with LEGO brick raised circles made out of LEGO bricks. :D

dirty old man.

Re: Sean Connery's 1964 Aston Martin DB5 sells for $2.4 million

<230820220703229644%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=153559&group=rec.arts.tv#153559

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2022 07:03:22 -0400
 by: A Friend - Tue, 23 Aug 2022 11:03 UTC

In article <te1t7v$10lb$1@gioia.aioe.org>, Your Name
<YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:

> On 2022-08-23 06:00:21 +0000, anim8rfsk said:
> > Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

> >> I remember seeing pictures of a life size Lego X-Wing.
> >
> > How big are life-size Legos?
>
> There's no such thing as "Legos" - it's another silly incorrect Americanism.
>
> The correct terms are "Lego", "Lego bricks", "Lego sets", etc. (In
> fact, the 100% corect terms require the company/toy name to be in
> sapital letters "LEGO" appended with the registered trademark symbol of
> a superscript R in a circle.)

The "correct terms" for Legos? Who frickin' cares?

Go play with your toys, "silly."