Meekness: Uncommon patience in planning a revenge that is worth while. -- Ambrose Bierce

arts / rec.arts.tv / What Did You Watch? 2022-08-24 (Wednesday)

SubjectAuthor
* What Did You Watch? 2022-08-24 (Wednesday)Ubiquitous
+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-08-24 (Wednesday)Ian J. Ball
|+- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-08-24 (Wednesday)Arthur Lipscomb
|+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-08-24 (Wednesday)BTR1701
||`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-08-24 (Wednesday)Ian J. Ball
|| `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-08-24 (Wednesday)anim8rfsk
||  `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-08-24 (Wednesday)BTR1701
||   `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-08-24 (Wednesday)anim8rfsk
|`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-08-24 (Wednesday)Arthur Lipscomb
| +- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-08-24 (Wednesday)Micky DuPree
| `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-08-24 (Wednesday)shawn
`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-08-24 (Wednesday)anim8rfsk
 `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-08-24 (Wednesday)Ian J. Ball
  `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-08-24 (Wednesday)anim8rfsk
   `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-08-24 (Wednesday)Ian J. Ball
    `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-08-24 (Wednesday)anim8rfsk

1
What Did You Watch? 2022-08-24 (Wednesday)

<UBI20220824@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=153873&group=rec.arts.tv#153873

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: What Did You Watch? 2022-08-24 (Wednesday)
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2022 04:30:41 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Thu, 25 Aug 2022 08:30 UTC

On gaming night, I watched:

Nothing.

What did you watch?

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-08-24 (Wednesday)

<te7v0k$3lkgv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=153897&group=rec.arts.tv#153897

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-08-24 (Wednesday)
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2022 06:55:32 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Thu, 25 Aug 2022 13:55 UTC

On 2022-08-25 08:30:41 +0000, Ubiquitous said:

> What did you watch?

I had technical difficulties yesterday, which almost prevented me from
watching the "Motherland: Fort Salem" finale!! I think this has
happened before - sometimes after an EBS/EAS warning (we get these all
the time in summer, for flash flood warnings), which knocks "regular
TV" sound out during the EBS broadcast, the "regular TV" sound *won't
come back on*. This happened yesterday. At first I thought my TV was
busted! But then I checked HDMI-2, where my AppleTV and streaming hang
out, and sound was fine there! The really weird thing is, though - the
EBS alert knocked out sound to *my whole cable box*!! That's right -
even trying to play stuff off the DVR produced no sound!! (This makes
no sense to me!!)
Luckily, I checked after an hour of streaming, and the sound was restored.

So, with all of that, I watched:

soaps: DOOL - The usual jerk around - now-alive Stefan makes it to the
DiMera mansion, but is only seen by Ava, who thinks he is Jake, and
faints, before Stefan is drugged and hauled off by Li. Invariably, when
Stefan returns, he will be brainwashed to love Chloe, so we were robbed
of the Stefan-Gabi reunion... Paulina wants to hire NuStephanie, and
she convinces Gabe to run for governor. Morpheus kidnaps Kayla and
Marlena (*boring*!!).
GH - Brook Lynn and Chase finally get their s**t together, and
declare their feelings for each other. The same for NuDrew and
FauxCarly, who admit they're into each other. Sam finally admits what's
been bugging her to Dante, and they agree to move in together.

The Sandman (Netflix) - "The Sound of Her Wings" and "The Doll's House"
(ep's #6 & #7).
"The Sound of Her Wings", ep. #6, was the clearest example yet where
they had clearly taken two of the "graphic novels" (non-consecutive!!)
to make one episode - this was clearly two different stories combined
into one epie.
Despite that, I think "The Sound of Her Wings" might have been the
best one yet. In the first half of the episode, Dream hangs out with
his "older sister", Death (Kirby Howell-Baptiste), as she goes about
her day collecting souls departing for the afterlife. Death drops some
"wisdom" to Dream along the way! In the second half, Dream interacts
with a special human named Hob Gadling, whom Death and Dream agreed
back in 1389 will not die (until he asks for it!), as part of a weird
wager/game between Death and Dream. Then Dream visits Gob every 100
years after that day, to discuss what Gob has learned in the preceeding
100 years. They even manage to sneak Jenna Coleman in here as a
Constantine ancestor!... Overall, this was a pretty darn good episode.
Unfortunately, the show(/comic?) seems to lose its way, starting
with "The Doll's House", introducing an entirely new continuing
storyline, about a "dream vortex" (think "The Laithe of Heaven") named
Rose Walker (Kyo Ra), that looks to dominate the rest of this season...
This storyline, I'm not looking forward to. :/

Motherland: Fort Salem (recorded) - "Revolution, Part 2" (ep. #3.10,
and the series finale).
While still probably too over-stuffed, this finale was still a lot
better than the penultimate episode.
Warning! - Long synopsis follows!!
As the episode opens, Raelle is vaguely OK and the Bellweather Unit
(et al) meet up with Anacostia, Sterling, and Gen. Petra, and vow to
save the Mycelium ("Mother") and Fort Salem from the EVOL!!1!
Camarilla. In order to do so, the Bellweather Unit (et al) have to get
into the Necro Unit, while Anacostia, Petra and Sterling have to create
a diversion and try to take some of the Camarilla soldiers down.
Disappointingly, Necro head Izadora (Emilie Leclerc) is shown to
still be alive (though captured), robbing the penultimate episode of
one of its few effective developments. :/ Also disappointingly,
"Penelope Silver" disintegrates back into dust, and EVOL!!1! Alban
Hearst has her dust collected and takes it with them.
The Bellweather Unit gets into Necro (Izadora is already gone, and
Hearst doesn't stick around long), where the Unit gets into several
hand-to-hand battles with Camarilla troops.
Meanwhile, Anacostia, Sterling, and Petra, joined by Gregorio, come
up with a plant to toast most of the Camarilla soldiers at Fort Salem,
but the plan is only partilally successful, and Anacostia gets toasted
herself (relatively anticlimatically) in the attempt. (FTR, this is
pretty much the only real "major" death of Our Heroes(tm) in the
finale.)
In the battle in Necro, Raelle's sickness seriously injurs Scylla
(making Scylla mostly useless throughout all of season #3!! ;p ) and
Adil, but manages to open a "portal" to the Mycelium, which the
Bellweather Unit escapes into, while Nicte (still Kandyse McClure at
this point) and Gregorio cover their retreat.
Tally realizes that this is exactly what she saw in her vision when
"Raelle destroys the world".
Meanwhile, Alder has tracked the "Abyssinian Line" to Ghana (how did
she manage to do this so fast?!!), where she realizes that the line was
then enslaved and taken to America way back when. After research, she
realizes the line was taken as slaves to Virginia (surely, you can see
where this is going now?!), where Alder confirms that the last
"Steward" of the first song is indeed the Bellweather line - meaning
Abigail is actually the last Steward.
Petra and Sterling manage to get control of Penelope's "vapors", and
Sterling then disguises himself in order to get to Hearst, and V.P.
Silver who is in the midst of a national address, with Izadora present.
Izadora slips "Penelope's vapors" into Hearst, killing him (on air!).
Penelope reconstitutes one final time, to kill her old man too, before
dissolving too. (So that's it?! That's all we get with Penelope?!)
In the Mycelium, Tally says she understands her vision now - it's
always been about the three of them, and what they do at this moment.
Alder and the other Stewards show up (I don't even remember who the
"Sixth Steward" is, and they aren't shown up-close in this episode!),
just as Raelle, Scylla and Adil seem to be dying. Alder tells Abigail
that the Bellweathers have the last piece of the First Song, and that
Abigail is the final Steward. So, Abigail, Tally, Alder, and the other
3 Stewards, sing the First Song, while Raelle unleashes the
"Witchbomb", releasing the First Song into the entire world.
This is pretty much The End - apparently everyone is "magic"/"a
witch" now, even the Camarilla (though we aren't shown their
existential crisis!), which changes the game. Alder tells Tally,
Abigail and Raelle that they are "goddesses" now, and will have to lead
this new world. Alder also says her mission is now done, and she
dissolves a final time, after saying her goodbyes to them (Alder
earlier buries the hatchet with Nicte, once again played by Arlen
Aguayo Stewart in her final scenes).
This was a decent finale, though it still felt rushed, and a lot of
things were missing. The most massive omission was no Kara Brandt
(Emilie Ullerup) at all - I suspect their was a storyline reason for
this (would she have been the "Big Bad" of a season #4?!), but her
omission was glaring. Also missing were Raelle's mom (and dad), and
Tally's mom - a better finale would have worked them in.

Witches in the Woods (Showtime Anytime) - OK, I'm pretty sure I tried
to watch this back in 2020, but I can't remember if I gave up after the
display resolution on the Showtime channel I was watching was wrong, or
if I went back and finished it on OnDemand.
If I did watch the whole thing before, I certainly didn't remember
it, as watching the whole thing this time jogged no memory outside of
the beginning scenes of the movie.
Gist: Six college kids - and I watched this because two of them are
played by Hannah Kasulka (whom I know from a Lifetime flick or two) who
is pretty darn attractive, and Humberly Gonzalez who is also pretty
darn attractive; Corbing Bleu is also in this - get lost in the snowy
woods of Massachusetts in the same place a "witch" was hung 300+ years
before.
When one of them, who is later revealed to be taking meds for an
mental/emotional condition, falls "ill", some of them begin to suspect
she's been "possessed" by the dead witch. This leads to conflict,
recriminations, and personal revelations, especially after they all get
stuck in the snow in the middle of nowhere.
This is an OK "bottle show" thriller (most of the events take place
in and around their stuck SUV/truck), though with the predictable body
count and "Final Girl". And the ending makes the events purposely
ambiguous - Was their really a "possession"?! Or did they all just have
a "freakout"?! The movie doesn't say one way or the other. (But, if it
wasn't a "possession", it was one of the worst strings of "bad luck" in
history!!)

Click here to read the complete article
Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-08-24 (Wednesday)

<te88b0$3mhki$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=153912&group=rec.arts.tv#153912

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2022 09:34:37 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Thu, 25 Aug 2022 16:34 UTC

On 8/25/2022 6:55 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> On 2022-08-25 08:30:41 +0000, Ubiquitous said:
>
>> What did you watch?
>
> I had technical difficulties yesterday, which almost prevented me from
> watching the "Motherland: Fort Salem" finale!! I think this has happened
> before - sometimes after an EBS/EAS warning (we get these all the time
> in summer, for flash flood warnings), which knocks "regular TV" sound
> out during the EBS broadcast, the "regular TV" sound *won't come back
> on*. This happened yesterday. At first I thought my TV was busted! But
> then I checked HDMI-2, where my AppleTV and streaming hang out, and
> sound was fine there! The really weird thing is, though - the EBS alert
> knocked out sound to *my whole cable box*!! That's right - even trying
> to play stuff off the DVR produced no sound!! (This makes no sense to me!!)
>   Luckily, I checked after an hour of streaming, and the sound was
> restored.
>
> So, with all of that, I watched:
>
> soaps: DOOL - The usual jerk around - now-alive Stefan makes it to the
> DiMera mansion, but is only seen by Ava, who thinks he is Jake, and
> faints, before Stefan is drugged and hauled off by Li. Invariably, when
> Stefan returns, he will be brainwashed to love Chloe, so we were robbed
> of the Stefan-Gabi reunion... Paulina wants to hire NuStephanie, and she
> convinces Gabe to run for governor. Morpheus kidnaps Kayla and Marlena
> (*boring*!!).
>   GH - Brook Lynn and Chase finally get their s**t together, and
> declare their feelings for each other. The same for NuDrew and
> FauxCarly, who admit they're into each other. Sam finally admits what's
> been bugging her to Dante, and they agree to move in together.
>
> The Sandman (Netflix) - "The Sound of Her Wings" and "The Doll's House"
> (ep's #6 & #7).
>   "The Sound of Her Wings", ep. #6, was the clearest example yet where
> they had clearly taken two of the "graphic novels" (non-consecutive!!)
> to make one episode - this was clearly two different stories combined
> into one epie.
>   Despite that, I think "The Sound of Her Wings" might have been the
> best one yet.

Yeah, this was definitely another good one.

In the first half of the episode, Dream hangs out with his
> "older sister", Death (Kirby Howell-Baptiste), as she goes about her day
> collecting souls departing for the afterlife. Death drops some "wisdom"
> to Dream along the way! In the second half, Dream interacts with a
> special human named Hob Gadling, whom Death and Dream agreed back in
> 1389 will not die (until he asks for it!), as part of a weird wager/game
> between Death and Dream. Then Dream visits Gob every 100 years after
> that day, to discuss what Gob has learned in the preceeding 100 years.
> They even manage to sneak Jenna Coleman in here as a Constantine
> ancestor!... Overall, this was a pretty darn good episode.
>   Unfortunately, the show(/comic?) seems to lose its way, starting with
> "The Doll's House", introducing an entirely new continuing storyline,
> about a "dream vortex" (think "The Laithe of Heaven") named Rose Walker
> (Kyo Ra), that looks to dominate the rest of this season... This
> storyline, I'm not looking forward to.  :/

I thought the same thing at first. But remember what I said before. It
all ties together...

> Motherland: Fort Salem (recorded) - "Revolution, Part 2" (ep. #3.10, and
> the series finale).
>   While still probably too over-stuffed, this finale was still a lot
> better than the penultimate episode.
>   Warning! - Long synopsis follows!!
>   As the episode opens, Raelle is vaguely OK and the Bellweather Unit
> (et al) meet up with Anacostia, Sterling, and Gen. Petra, and vow to
> save the Mycelium ("Mother") and Fort Salem from the EVOL!!1! Camarilla.
> In order to do so, the Bellweather Unit (et al) have to get into the
> Necro Unit, while Anacostia, Petra and Sterling have to create a
> diversion and try to take some of the Camarilla soldiers down.
>   Disappointingly, Necro head Izadora (Emilie Leclerc) is shown to
> still be alive (though captured), robbing the penultimate episode of one
> of its few effective developments.  :/  Also disappointingly, "Penelope
> Silver" disintegrates back into dust, and EVOL!!1! Alban Hearst has her
> dust collected and takes it with them.
>   The Bellweather Unit gets into Necro (Izadora is already gone, and
> Hearst doesn't stick around long), where the Unit gets into several
> hand-to-hand battles with Camarilla troops.
>   Meanwhile, Anacostia, Sterling, and Petra, joined by Gregorio, come
> up with a plant to toast most of the Camarilla soldiers at Fort Salem,
> but the plan is only partilally successful, and Anacostia gets toasted
> herself (relatively anticlimatically) in the attempt. (FTR, this is
> pretty much the only real "major" death of Our Heroes(tm) in the finale.)
>   In the battle in Necro, Raelle's sickness seriously injurs Scylla
> (making Scylla mostly useless throughout all of season #3!! ;p ) and
> Adil, but manages to open a "portal" to the Mycelium, which the
> Bellweather Unit escapes into, while Nicte (still Kandyse McClure at
> this point) and Gregorio cover their retreat.
>   Tally realizes that this is exactly what she saw in her vision when
> "Raelle destroys the world".
>   Meanwhile, Alder has tracked the "Abyssinian Line" to Ghana (how did
> she manage to do this so fast?!!), where she realizes that the line was
> then enslaved and taken to America way back when. After research, she
> realizes the line was taken as slaves to Virginia (surely, you can see
> where this is going now?!), where Alder confirms that the last "Steward"
> of the first song is indeed the Bellweather line - meaning Abigail is
> actually the last Steward.
>   Petra and Sterling manage to get control of Penelope's "vapors", and
> Sterling then disguises himself in order to get to Hearst, and V.P.
> Silver who is in the midst of a national address, with Izadora present.
> Izadora slips "Penelope's vapors" into Hearst, killing him (on air!).
> Penelope reconstitutes one final time, to kill her old man too, before
> dissolving too. (So that's it?! That's all we get with Penelope?!)

I think that was about when I gave up trying to follow the plot.

>   In the Mycelium, Tally says she understands her vision now - it's
> always been about the three of them, and what they do at this moment.
> Alder and the other Stewards show up (I don't even remember who the
> "Sixth Steward" is, and they aren't shown up-close in this episode!),
> just as Raelle, Scylla and Adil seem to be dying. Alder tells Abigail
> that the Bellweathers have the last piece of the First Song, and that
> Abigail is the final Steward. So, Abigail, Tally, Alder, and the other 3
> Stewards, sing the First Song, while Raelle unleashes the "Witchbomb",
> releasing the First Song into the entire world.
>   This is pretty much The End - apparently everyone is "magic"/"a
> witch" now, even the Camarilla (though we aren't shown their existential
> crisis!), which changes the game. Alder tells Tally, Abigail and Raelle
> that they are "goddesses" now, and will have to lead this new world.

I guess they figured it worked for the Buffy finale, why not here too.

> Alder also says her mission is now done, and she dissolves a final time,
> after saying her goodbyes to them (Alder earlier buries the hatchet with
> Nicte, once again played by Arlen Aguayo Stewart in her final scenes).
>   This was a decent finale, though it still felt rushed, and a lot of
> things were missing. The most massive omission was no Kara Brandt
> (Emilie Ullerup) at all - I suspect their was a storyline reason for
> this (would she have been the "Big Bad" of a season #4?!), but her
> omission was glaring. Also missing were Raelle's mom (and dad), and
> Tally's mom - a better finale would have worked them in.

Thanks for the recap.

> Witches in the Woods (Showtime Anytime) - OK, I'm pretty sure I tried to
> watch this back in 2020, but I can't remember if I gave up after the
> display resolution on the Showtime channel I was watching was wrong, or
> if I went back and finished it on OnDemand.
>   If I did watch the whole thing before, I certainly didn't remember
> it, as watching the whole thing this time jogged no memory outside of
> the beginning scenes of the movie.
>   Gist: Six college kids - and I watched this because two of them are
> played by Hannah Kasulka (whom I know from a Lifetime flick or two) who
> is pretty darn attractive, and Humberly Gonzalez who is also pretty darn
> attractive; Corbing Bleu is also in this - get lost in the snowy woods
> of Massachusetts in the same place a "witch" was hung 300+ years before.
>   When one of them, who is later revealed to be taking meds for an
> mental/emotional condition, falls "ill", some of them begin to suspect
> she's been "possessed" by the dead witch. This leads to conflict,
> recriminations, and personal revelations, especially after they all get
> stuck in the snow in the middle of nowhere.
>   This is an OK "bottle show" thriller (most of the events take place
> in and around their stuck SUV/truck), though with the predictable body
> count and "Final Girl". And the ending makes the events purposely
> ambiguous - Was their really a "possession"?! Or did they all just have
> a "freakout"?! The movie doesn't say one way or the other. (But, if it
> wasn't a "possession", it was one of the worst strings of "bad luck" in
> history!!)

Click here to read the complete article
Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-08-24 (Wednesday)

<atropos-2AB25D.09560525082022@kd014101080069.ppp-bb.dion.ne.jp>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=153914&group=rec.arts.tv#153914

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2022 09:56:05 -0700
 by: BTR1701 - Thu, 25 Aug 2022 16:56 UTC

In article <te7v0k$3lkgv$1@dont-email.me>,
Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:

> On 2022-08-25 08:30:41 +0000, Ubiquitous said:
>
> > What did you watch?
>
> I had technical difficulties yesterday, which almost prevented me from
> watching the "Motherland: Fort Salem" finale!! I think this has
> happened before - sometimes after an EBS/EAS warning (we get these all
> the time in summer, for flash flood warnings), which knocks "regular
> TV" sound out during the EBS broadcast, the "regular TV" sound *won't
> come back on*.

They do those EAS tests once a week here and they not only hijack the
cable signal, they even dump you out of your DVR if you're watching a
recorded show and it disables all the controls on the remote. You can't
even turn the TV off or mute it so you don't have to listen to all the
warning alarms. I keep wondering if I try to unplug the TV from the wall
during one of these tests, if I'd be annihilated like the red shirt that
tried to unplug the M5 computer.

I don't get how it's even legal for the government to take over my DVR
and TV. If they want to take over the signal coming into my house, fine,
I don't suppose I have any say in that. But watching a recorded show?
The DVR belongs to me and so does the TV. What right does the government
have to assume control of them?

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-08-24 (Wednesday)

<te8aqt$3mpkp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=153920&group=rec.arts.tv#153920

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2022 10:17:17 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Thu, 25 Aug 2022 17:17 UTC

On 2022-08-25 16:56:05 +0000, BTR1701 said:

> In article <te7v0k$3lkgv$1@dont-email.me>,
> Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On 2022-08-25 08:30:41 +0000, Ubiquitous said:
>>
>>> What did you watch?
>>
>> I had technical difficulties yesterday, which almost prevented me from
>> watching the "Motherland: Fort Salem" finale!! I think this has
>> happened before - sometimes after an EBS/EAS warning (we get these all
>> the time in summer, for flash flood warnings), which knocks "regular
>> TV" sound out during the EBS broadcast, the "regular TV" sound *won't
>> come back on*.
>
> They do those EAS tests once a week here and they not only hijack the
> cable signal, they even dump you out of your DVR if you're watching a
> recorded show and it disables all the controls on the remote. You can't
> even turn the TV off or mute it so you don't have to listen to all the
> warning alarms. I keep wondering if I try to unplug the TV from the wall
> during one of these tests, if I'd be annihilated like the red shirt that
> tried to unplug the M5 computer.
>
> I don't get how it's even legal for the government to take over my DVR
> and TV. If they want to take over the signal coming into my house, fine,
> I don't suppose I have any say in that. But watching a recorded show?
> The DVR belongs to me and so does the TV. What right does the government
> have to assume control of them?

Yeah, that was definitely the worst part - that not only did it knock
out cable TV sound, but it *killed* sound from my DVR too!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-08-24 (Wednesday)

<1271429967.683149235.241553.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=153965&group=rec.arts.tv#153965

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2022 13:06:22 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Thu, 25 Aug 2022 20:06 UTC

Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
> On 2022-08-25 16:56:05 +0000, BTR1701 said:
>
>> In article <te7v0k$3lkgv$1@dont-email.me>,
>> Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:

>>> I had technical difficulties yesterday, which almost prevented me from
>>> watching the "Motherland: Fort Salem" finale!! I think this has
>>> happened before - sometimes after an EBS/EAS warning (we get these all
>>> the time in summer, for flash flood warnings), which knocks "regular
>>> TV" sound out during the EBS broadcast, the "regular TV" sound *won't
>>> come back on*.
>>
>> They do those EAS tests once a week here and they not only hijack the
>> cable signal, they even dump you out of your DVR if you're watching a
>> recorded show and it disables all the controls on the remote. You can't
>> even turn the TV off or mute it so you don't have to listen to all the
>> warning alarms. I keep wondering if I try to unplug the TV from the wall
>> during one of these tests, if I'd be annihilated like the red shirt that
>> tried to unplug the M5 computer.
>>
>> I don't get how it's even legal for the government to take over my DVR
>> and TV. If they want to take over the signal coming into my house, fine,
>> I don't suppose I have any say in that. But watching a recorded show?
>> The DVR belongs to me and so does the TV. What right does the government
>> have to assume control of them?
>
> Yeah, that was definitely the worst part - that not only did it knock
> out cable TV sound, but it *killed* sound from my DVR too!

They say they are a once a week test but we get them daily. I have no idea
if they occur on all channels simultaneously or if they rotate. Last night
I was watching the exciting conclusion of ONLY MURDERERS IN THE BUILDING on
the built-in Hulu app on the Cox DVR and I got one of the damn things. And
it knocked me clear out of the apps and back in the regular TV when it was
over. The only upside was that the Hulu app remembered where I was. I

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-08-24 (Wednesday)

<1461167719.683149484.532506.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=153966&group=rec.arts.tv#153966

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2022 13:06:23 -0700

Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
> On gaming night, I watched:
>
> Nothing.
>
> What did you watch?

Hey, thanks for asking!

I am way behind on this.

Last night I watched the exciting series season two conclusion of ONLY
MURDERERS IN THE BUILDING.

No spoilers. Basically thumbs up. Like so many Defiling Gravity inspired
series I enjoyed the finale more than the filler episodes that came before
it. Everything played out as I had predicted although there were a couple
of red herrings that I thought they might actually go with and I would have
been impressed have they had the guts. The only thing that took me by
surprise was a complete throwaway about how the killer found the secret
passages. Which they could’ve done without because it turned out everybody
everywhere do about the secret passages anyway except for our three heroes.
And I really liked the last few minutes. Plus, Selina seems to have slimmed
down some.

I fell through the rabbit hole on the YouTube. Somebody had suggested
watching some thing and I was watching it and my thumb slipped and it
dropped me into a live table read of FAMILY GUY, A very special abortion
centered episode (although it really was incidental) that will apparently
never be shown. There are clips from it and I don’t know if they’re fake
clips or made just for this or if they actually shot the episode and shit
canned it or what. But there was a script and all the actors were there. I
was very surprised to see Seth MacFarlane just do all the different voices
that he does talking to himself without taking a beat. He did drink a lot
of fluids while the other people were talking. I would have assumed that in
production he would go through and read all of Brian‘s lines, and then go
through and read all of Stewie’s lines, etc.

Anyway there was a cute actress in the cast (Christine Larkin) who Seth
introduced as being best known from step by step. And she gave him a
smiling glare for it so clearly there was some sort of inside joke. Anyway
the only step by step I know of was the Bobby Ewing series which I never
watched. But she didn’t look old enough to have been on that. Anyway I
checked and step-by-step is on HBO max (in the name of God why?) But then I
found that through the miracle of Freevee you can watch it on the Amazon
prime. So I dug in…

OMG what a dumpster fire of a show. Every awful cliché that you would
mention as a joke about a sitcom was there and fully exploited. It’s like
watching an SNL sketch about a sitcom and not a real sitcom itself. It’s
also really sick but not in a funny way. In episode four Sacha Mitchell
shows up as Bobby Ewing‘s nephew (again?) And his initial plot is that he
wants to score his 15 year old step cousin (the daughter from my two dads).
Is that supposed to be funny? Nobody slaps him up the side of the head and
says forbidden fruit to him. I should mention he’s at least a decade older
than her. Throughout the series they make a lot of weird references to
stuff like that. After watching way too much of season one I went ahead and
watched the first episode of each season, the season finale, and then a few
very special episodes where characters joined or left. This series was
savage in cutting cast members. Family members just disappear and are never
mentioned again although when they say how many kids they have they
continue the count. They even do the stupid thing where they have a
daughter from a pregnancy that only lasts a couple of months in about the
fifth season of the series but in the last couple of episodes she’s in
grade school and yet they’re saying they’ve only been married seven years.
Continuity headache time. And she’s absolutely terrible, character and
actress.

They even do a very special two part episode shot at Disney World called
“we’re going to Disney World“ with June Lockhart as Miss Ellie Ewing!

The best thing I can say is that the brunette daughter was beautiful. The
my two dads daughter looked idiotic with platinum blonde hair. And the girl
from FAMILY GUY actually was there as one of the younger daughters. Did I
mention the whole set up is a blatant Brady Bunch rip off?

Wiki says almost everybody involved quit show business when this mess was
over.

Now why the hell is spellcheck making ShowBusiness one word with capital
letters? Is that another goddamn rap group?

> --
> Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-08-24 (Wednesday)

<atropos-7919E3.13405925082022@kd014101080069.ppp-bb.dion.ne.jp>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=153976&group=rec.arts.tv#153976

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2022 13:40:59 -0700
 by: BTR1701 - Thu, 25 Aug 2022 20:40 UTC

In article
anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

> Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
> > On 2022-08-25 16:56:05 +0000, BTR1701 said:

> >> They do those EAS tests once a week here and they not only hijack the
> >> cable signal, they even dump you out of your DVR if you're watching a
> >> recorded show and it disables all the controls on the remote. You can't
> >> even turn the TV off or mute it so you don't have to listen to all the
> >> warning alarms. I keep wondering if I try to unplug the TV from the wall
> >> during one of these tests, if I'd be annihilated like the red shirt that
> >> tried to unplug the M5 computer.
> >>
> >> I don't get how it's even legal for the government to take over my DVR
> >> and TV. If they want to take over the signal coming into my house, fine,
> >> I don't suppose I have any say in that. But watching a recorded show?
> >> The DVR belongs to me and so does the TV. What right does the government
> >> have to assume control of them?
> >
> > Yeah, that was definitely the worst part - that not only did it knock
> > out cable TV sound, but it *killed* sound from my DVR too!

> They say they are a once a week test but we get them daily. I have no idea
> if they occur on all channels simultaneously or if they rotate. Last night
> I was watching the exciting conclusion of ONLY MURDERERS IN THE BUILDING on
> the built-in Hulu app on the Cox DVR and I got one of the damn things. And
> it knocked me clear out of the apps and back in the regular TV when it was
> over. The only upside was that the Hulu app remembered where I was. I

I watch all my streamings through the Apple TV hockey puck, and so far
it seems to be immune from being hijacked by these things. Only a matter
of time, I suppose.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-08-24 (Wednesday)

<te8mqo$3nti3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=153977&group=rec.arts.tv#153977

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2022 13:42:00 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Thu, 25 Aug 2022 20:42 UTC

On 2022-08-25 20:06:23 +0000, anim8rfsk said:

> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
>> On gaming night, I watched:
>>
>> Nothing.
>>
>> What did you watch?
>
> Hey, thanks for asking!
> [snip]
> Anyway there was a cute actress in the cast (Christine Larkin) who Seth
> introduced as being best known from step by step. And she gave him a
> smiling glare for it so clearly there was some sort of inside joke. Anyway
> the only step by step I know of was the Bobby Ewing series which I never
> watched. But she didn’t look old enough to have been on that. Anyway I
> checked and step-by-step is on HBO max (in the name of God why?) But then I
> found that through the miracle of Freevee you can watch it on the Amazon
> prime. So I dug in…
>
> OMG what a dumpster fire of a show. Every awful cliché that you would
> mention as a joke about a sitcom was there and fully exploited. It’s like
> watching an SNL sketch about a sitcom and not a real sitcom itself. It’s
> also really sick but not in a funny way. In episode four Sacha Mitchell
> shows up as Bobby Ewing‘s nephew (again?) And his initial plot is that he
> wants to score his 15 year old step cousin (the daughter from my two dads).
> Is that supposed to be funny? Nobody slaps him up the side of the head and
> says forbidden fruit to him. I should mention he’s at least a decade older
> than her. Throughout the series they make a lot of weird references to
> stuff like that. After watching way too much of season one I went ahead and
> watched the first episode of each season, the season finale, and then a few
> very special episodes where characters joined or left. This series was
> savage in cutting cast members. Family members just disappear and are never
> mentioned again although when they say how many kids they have they
> continue the count. They even do the stupid thing where they have a
> daughter from a pregnancy that only lasts a couple of months in about the
> fifth season of the series but in the last couple of episodes she’s in
> grade school and yet they’re saying they’ve only been married seven years.
> Continuity headache time. And she’s absolutely terrible, character and
> actress.
>
> They even do a very special two part episode shot at Disney World called
> “we’re going to Disney World“ with June Lockhart as Miss Ellie Ewing!
>
> The best thing I can say is that the brunette daughter was beautiful. The
> my two dads daughter looked idiotic with platinum blonde hair. And the girl
> from FAMILY GUY actually was there as one of the younger daughters. Did I
> mention the whole set up is a blatant Brady Bunch rip off?
>
> Wiki says almost everybody involved quit show business when this mess was
> over.

Not exactly true - obviously, Summers, Duffy, Larkin (and Patrika Darbo
from S1) continued acting. But yeah - all the sons (incl., surprisingly
to me, Brandon Call), and two of the daughters (Angela Watson, and
surprisingly Staci Keanan) did leave the business during, or
afterwards. But Sasha Mitchell was actually "cancelled" for being a
drunk and a girlfriend-beater (IIRC).

> Now why the hell is spellcheck making ShowBusiness one word with capital
> letters? Is that another goddamn rap group?

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-08-24 (Wednesday)

<1370349788.683155718.661310.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=153993&group=rec.arts.tv#153993

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2022 14:58:12 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Thu, 25 Aug 2022 21:58 UTC

BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
> In article
> <1271429967.683149235.241553.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,
> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:

>>> Yeah, that was definitely the worst part - that not only did it knock
>>> out cable TV sound, but it *killed* sound from my DVR too!
>
>> They say they are a once a week test but we get them daily. I have no idea
>> if they occur on all channels simultaneously or if they rotate. Last night
>> I was watching the exciting conclusion of ONLY MURDERERS IN THE BUILDING on
>> the built-in Hulu app on the Cox DVR and I got one of the damn things. And
>> it knocked me clear out of the apps and back in the regular TV when it was
>> over. The only upside was that the Hulu app remembered where I was. I
>
> I watch all my streamings through the Apple TV hockey puck, and so far
> it seems to be immune from being hijacked by these things. Only a matter
> of time, I suppose.

Yeah, if I’ve been watching Hulu on the PS3 I’d’ve been OK.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-08-24 (Wednesday)

<1854256488.683155784.460164.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=153994&group=rec.arts.tv#153994

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2022 14:58:13 -0700
> [...]

>> They even do a very special two part episode shot at Disney World called
>> “we’re going to Disney World“ with June Lockhart as Miss Ellie Ewing!
>>
>> The best thing I can say is that the brunette daughter was beautiful. The
>> my two dads daughter looked idiotic with platinum blonde hair. And the girl
>> from FAMILY GUY actually was there as one of the younger daughters. Did I
>> mention the whole set up is a blatant Brady Bunch rip off?
>>
>> Wiki says almost everybody involved quit show business when this mess was
>> over.
>
> Not exactly true - obviously, Summers, Duffy, Larkin (and Patrika Darbo
> from S1) continued acting. But yeah - all the sons (incl., surprisingly
> to me, Brandon Call), and two of the daughters (Angela Watson, and
> surprisingly Staci Keanan) did leave the business during, or
> afterwards. But Sasha Mitchell was actually "cancelled" for being a

What I didn’t know until last night was that apparently the charges against
him were dropped. He returned just in time to have the series end.

Keenan sort of trickled down.

Call quit ShowBusiness completely cold turkey never to be seen again.

Watson had a couple bit parts and according to IMDb started an organization
for child actors whose parents stole all their earnings. How many of those
are there now?

Laken stayed active despite Seth MacFarlane‘s joke.

Darbo stayed active and of course is in a couple of your soaps.

Peggy Ree who got axed with Darbo had a half a dozen jobs over the next
half a dozen years.

Christopher Castile Never worked again

Josh Byrne Quit mid series and never worked again and except for when they
were giving a number for how many kids they have, his character was
apparently never referenced again.

The dreadful new daughter they added had two jobs the next year and then
was gone from the mind of man, and man’s mind did not mind.

The twins who played the kid is a baby took the next 15 years off and then
started some gigs.

Jason Marsden Who spent the last season smooching Keenan who had to wear
flats because she’s so much taller than him is still working.

Jeff Juday Who rode every ride at Disney World had a literal handful of
jobs and is long since gone.

BTW JoAnna Garcia Swisher was the cute girl that Call was trying to score
with by pretending to be Walt Disney’s nephew.

And against all odds, 55-year-old Sasha Mitchell is still in the game.

>> Now why the hell is spellcheck making ShowBusiness one word with capital
>> letters? Is that another goddamn rap group?

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-08-24 (Wednesday)

<te92p0$3ou5j$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=154008&group=rec.arts.tv#154008

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2022 17:05:52 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Fri, 26 Aug 2022 00:05 UTC

On 2022-08-25 21:58:13 +0000, anim8rfsk said:

> [...]
>>> my two dads daughter looked idiotic with platinum blonde hair. And the girl
>>> from FAMILY GUY actually was there as one of the younger daughters. Did I
>>> mention the whole set up is a blatant Brady Bunch rip off?
>>>
>>> Wiki says almost everybody involved quit show business when this mess was
>>> over.
>>
>> Not exactly true - obviously, Summers, Duffy, Larkin (and Patrika Darbo
>> from S1) continued acting. But yeah - all the sons (incl., surprisingly
>> to me, Brandon Call), and two of the daughters (Angela Watson, and
>> surprisingly Staci Keanan) did leave the business during, or
>> afterwards. But Sasha Mitchell was actually "cancelled" for being a
>> drunk and a girlfriend-beater (IIRC).
>
> What I didn’t know until last night was that apparently the charges against
> him were dropped. He returned just in time to have the series end.

I checked her IMDb - since SbS, I would say she has not worked enough
to be called "active". She's maybe semi-active/semi-retired, only
working in certain projects (e.g. I think two of things she did
included Patrick Duffy or Lakin).

> Call quit ShowBusiness completely cold turkey never to be seen again.

Yeah, that surprises me. Though, in retrospect, a lot of child actors
seem to go that route - most infamous recently: Jenette McCurdy.

> Watson had a couple bit parts and according to IMDb started an organization
> for child actors whose parents stole all their earnings. How many of those
> are there now?

Yeah, AFAIC, she was done after SbS. Whatever she did after was minor
and quickly went away.

I think Watson's problem was that she was obviously having trouble
keeping her weight under control as SbS went on.

> Laken stayed active despite Seth MacFarlane‘s joke.
>
> Darbo stayed active and of course is in a couple of your soaps.
>
> Peggy Ree who got axed with Darbo had a half a dozen jobs over the next
> half a dozen years.
>
> Christopher Castile Never worked again

Yes - mild surprise there, though he was quite short IIRC.

> Josh Byrne Quit mid series and never worked again and except for when they
> were giving a number for how many kids they have, his character was
> apparently never referenced again.

Yeah - he's the unusual case of someone who quit *in the middle* of
being a child actor!

I have never heard what happened there - whether they just fired him to
cut costs (this answer would not shock me...), or whether he just
decided he hated the business, or whether something happened on set
that turned him off.

But he might as well have had a "burn notice" on himself, as I think he
completely disappered.

> The dreadful new daughter they added had two jobs the next year and then
> was gone from the mind of man, and man’s mind did not mind.
>
> The twins who played the kid is a baby took the next 15 years off and then
> started some gigs.
>
> Jason Marsden Who spent the last season smooching Keenan who had to wear
> flats because she’s so much taller than him is still working.

Jason Marsden is someone who's had more of a career than he probaly
should have had - in addition to "Step by Step" he was also on "Boy
Meets World" for a time.

Look like he went into voice acting, though - that seems to be a
fallback for a lot of the "less attractive" acting crew.

> Jeff Juday Who rode every ride at Disney World had a literal handful of
> jobs and is long since gone.
>
> BTW JoAnna Garcia Swisher was the cute girl that Call was trying to score
> with by pretending to be Walt Disney’s nephew.
>
> And against all odds, 55-year-old Sasha Mitchell is still in the game.

Charges or no, I still think Mitchell was blackballed. He barely works
since SbS, in basically bit parts, in projects so low-rung even *I*
have never seen them! ("Drunk Parents"?! Really?!! ;p Wow! Natalia
Cigliuti is also in that!!)

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-08-24 (Wednesday)

<te951v$3p3oh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=154009&group=rec.arts.tv#154009

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2022 17:44:45 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Fri, 26 Aug 2022 00:44 UTC

On 8/25/2022 6:55 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> On 2022-08-25 08:30:41 +0000, Ubiquitous said:
>
>> What did you watch?

snip

> The Sandman (Netflix) - "The Sound of Her Wings" and "The Doll's House"
> (ep's #6 & #7).
>   "The Sound of Her Wings", ep. #6, was the clearest example yet where
> they had clearly taken two of the "graphic novels" (non-consecutive!!)
> to make one episode - this was clearly two different stories combined
> into one epie.
>   Despite that, I think "The Sound of Her Wings" might have been the
> best one yet. In the first half of the episode, Dream hangs out with his
> "older sister", Death (Kirby Howell-Baptiste), as she goes about her day
> collecting souls departing for the afterlife. Death drops some "wisdom"
> to Dream along the way! In the second half, Dream interacts with a
> special human named Hob Gadling, whom Death and Dream agreed back in
> 1389 will not die (until he asks for it!), as part of a weird wager/game
> between Death and Dream. Then Dream visits Gob every 100 years after
> that day, to discuss what Gob has learned in the preceeding 100 years.

Here's one of those comic to screen comparisons I keep mentioning:
https://twitter.com/Netflix_Sandman/status/1562870021436481538

What impresses me is they kept the original dialogue.

> They even manage to sneak Jenna Coleman in here as a Constantine
> ancestor!... Overall, this was a pretty darn good episode.
>   Unfortunately, the show(/comic?) seems to lose its way, starting with
> "The Doll's House", introducing an entirely new continuing storyline,
> about a "dream vortex" (think "The Laithe of Heaven") named Rose Walker
> (Kyo Ra), that looks to dominate the rest of this season... This
> storyline, I'm not looking forward to.  :/

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-08-24 (Wednesday)

<206108552.683165431.772110.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=154017&group=rec.arts.tv#154017

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2022 19:51:31 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Fri, 26 Aug 2022 02:51 UTC

Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
> On 2022-08-25 21:58:13 +0000, anim8rfsk said:
>
>> Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:

>>> Not exactly true - obviously, Summers, Duffy, Larkin (and Patrika Darbo
>>> from S1) continued acting. But yeah - all the sons (incl., surprisingly
>>> to me, Brandon Call), and two of the daughters (Angela Watson, and
>>> surprisingly Staci Keanan) did leave the business during, or
>>> afterwards. But Sasha Mitchell was actually "cancelled" for being a
>>> drunk and a girlfriend-beater (IIRC).
>>
>> What I didn’t know until last night was that apparently the charges against
>> him were dropped. He returned just in time to have the series end.
>>
>> Keenan sort of trickled down.
>
> I checked her IMDb - since SbS, I would say she has not worked enough
> to be called "active". She's maybe semi-active/semi-retired, only
> working in certain projects (e.g. I think two of things she did
> included Patrick Duffy or Lakin).

I saw Amy Hathaway in some action revenge movie recently. It was pretty
bad. She was some special agent rescuing somebody from an evil island.

>> Call quit ShowBusiness completely cold turkey never to be seen again.
>
> Yeah, that surprises me. Though, in retrospect, a lot of child actors
> seem to go that route - most infamous recently: Jenette McCurdy.

She shows up on my Facebook timeline although I don’t pay any attention to
it.

>> Watson had a couple bit parts and according to IMDb started an organization
>> for child actors whose parents stole all their earnings. How many of those
>> are there now?
>
> Yeah, AFAIC, she was done after SbS. Whatever she did after was minor
> and quickly went away.
>
> I think Watson's problem was that she was obviously having trouble
> keeping her weight under control as SbS went on.

She was skinny in season seven when she started college in skin tight
designer dresses and spike heels.

>> Laken stayed active despite Seth MacFarlane‘s joke.
>>
>> Darbo stayed active and of course is in a couple of your soaps.
>>
>> Peggy Ree who got axed with Darbo had a half a dozen jobs over the next
>> half a dozen years.
>>
>> Christopher Castile Never worked again
>
> Yes - mild surprise there, though he was quite short IIRC.
>
>> Josh Byrne Quit mid series and never worked again and except for when they
>> were giving a number for how many kids they have, his character was
>> apparently never referenced again.
>
> Yeah - he's the unusual case of someone who quit *in the middle* of
> being a child actor!
>
> I have never heard what happened there - whether they just fired him to
> cut costs (this answer would not shock me...), or whether he just
> decided he hated the business, or whether something happened on set
> that turned him off.
>
> But he might as well have had a "burn notice" on himself, as I think he
> completely disappered.
>
>> The dreadful new daughter they added had two jobs the next year and then
>> was gone from the mind of man, and man’s mind did not mind.
>>
>> The twins who played the kid is a baby took the next 15 years off and then
>> started some gigs.
>>
>> Jason Marsden Who spent the last season smooching Keenan who had to wear
>> flats because she’s so much taller than him is still working.
>
> Jason Marsden is someone who's had more of a career than he probaly
> should have had - in addition to "Step by Step" he was also on "Boy
> Meets World" for a time.
>
> Look like he went into voice acting, though - that seems to be a
> fallback for a lot of the "less attractive" acting crew.
>
>> Jeff Juday Who rode every ride at Disney World had a literal handful of
>> jobs and is long since gone.
>>
>> BTW JoAnna Garcia Swisher was the cute girl that Call was trying to score
>> with by pretending to be Walt Disney’s nephew.
>>
>> And against all odds, 55-year-old Sasha Mitchell is still in the game.
>
> Charges or no, I still think Mitchell was blackballed. He barely works
> since SbS, in basically bit parts, in projects so low-rung even *I*
> have never seen them! ("Drunk Parents"?! Really?!! ;p Wow! Natalia
> Cigliuti is also in that!!)

One of my streamers actually recommended “drunk parents” a while ago. I
didn’t take the recommendation.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-08-24 (Wednesday)

<tfe748$rka$1@pcls7.std.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=155958&group=rec.arts.tv#155958

From: MDuP...@theworld.com.snip.to.reply (Micky DuPree)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2022 02:07:04 +0000 (UTC)
 by: Micky DuPree - Fri, 9 Sep 2022 02:07 UTC

Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> writes:

> On 8/25/2022 6:55 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:

>> The Sandman (Netflix) - "The Sound of Her Wings" and "The Doll's
>> House" (ep's #6 & #7).

>>   Despite that, I think "The Sound of Her Wings" might have been the
>> best one yet. [....] In the second half, Dream interacts with a
>> special human named Hob Gadling, whom Death and Dream agreed back in
>> 1389 will not die (until he asks for it!), as part of a weird
>> wager/game between Death and Dream. Then Dream visits Gob every 100
>> years after that day, to discuss what Gob has learned in the
>> preceeding 100 years.
>
> Here's one of those comic to screen comparisons I keep mentioning:
> https://twitter.com/Netflix_Sandman/status/1562870021436481538
>
> What impresses me is they kept the original dialogue.

Thanks for the link. I've never seen the comics before. I see why the
comics fans are generally pleased with the TV series so far.

-Micky

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-08-24 (Wednesday)

<9r9lhh10cse8kg565ij7jmohi336hsphr3@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=155966&group=rec.arts.tv#155966

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2022 22:40:27 -0400
 by: shawn - Fri, 9 Sep 2022 02:40 UTC

On Thu, 25 Aug 2022 17:44:45 -0700, Arthur Lipscomb
<arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>On 8/25/2022 6:55 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
>> On 2022-08-25 08:30:41 +0000, Ubiquitous said:
>>
>>> What did you watch?
>>
>snip
>>
>> The Sandman (Netflix) - "The Sound of Her Wings" and "The Doll's House"
>> (ep's #6 & #7).
>>   "The Sound of Her Wings", ep. #6, was the clearest example yet where
>> they had clearly taken two of the "graphic novels" (non-consecutive!!)
>> to make one episode - this was clearly two different stories combined
>> into one epie.
>>   Despite that, I think "The Sound of Her Wings" might have been the
>> best one yet. In the first half of the episode, Dream hangs out with his
>> "older sister", Death (Kirby Howell-Baptiste), as she goes about her day
>> collecting souls departing for the afterlife. Death drops some "wisdom"
>> to Dream along the way! In the second half, Dream interacts with a
>> special human named Hob Gadling, whom Death and Dream agreed back in
>> 1389 will not die (until he asks for it!), as part of a weird wager/game
>> between Death and Dream. Then Dream visits Gob every 100 years after
>> that day, to discuss what Gob has learned in the preceeding 100 years.
>
>Here's one of those comic to screen comparisons I keep mentioning:
>https://twitter.com/Netflix_Sandman/status/1562870021436481538
>
>What impresses me is they kept the original dialogue.

I was wondering how closely they were sticking to the original
material. Guess that helps to explain why the series turned out so
good.