Newsgroups: rec.arts.books.childrens
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2022 11:28:17 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: R.I.P. Joan Lingard, 90 (Scottish YA author: "Sadie & Kevin" series)
From: lenona...@yahoo.com (Lenona)
 by: Lenona - Sat, 16 Jul 2022 18:28 UTC

Born in Edinburgh, she moved to Belfast early on and lived there till
age 18. She then moved to Edinburgh.

The "Sadie and Kevin" series is based in Northern Ireland and features
a "Romeo & Juliet" type relationship. (They do not, however, die or
live happily ever after, from what I can tell.)

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-62170023

Author Joan Lingard, who wrote the Kevin and Sadie series of books for young adults set in 1970s Northern Ireland, has died aged 90.

The series included her debut children's novel The Twelfth Day of July, published in 1970, and 1972's Across the Barricades.

Born in Edinburgh in 1932, the author moved to Belfast at the age of two, returning to Scotland aged 18.

In a career that spanned seven decades, she wrote almost 60 novels.

Ms Lingard died peacefully on Tuesday.

Writing on Twitter, Ms Lingard's daughter Kersten England, said her mother was a "woman whose life and work touched so many lives including mine".

She added: "She taught me everything about standing up to prejudice and bigotry and tackling injustice. Most of all she was my Mum."
The Kevin and Sadie series, which has sold more than one million copies, is set in Troubles-era Northern Ireland and tells the story of two teenagers growing up on opposite sides of the sectarian divide.

Of her childhood growing up in Belfast, Ms Lingard had said that it was there "that I grew up, went to school, made my first friends, learned to read and write.

"Inevitably, then, Belfast and Northern Ireland have had a strong influence on my writing."
Francesca Dow, managing director of Penguin Random House Children's said Ms Lingard was "an incredible writer who gave us some of the most important stories of her time".

"The Kevin and Sadie books are essential reading," she said.

"A love story set during the troubles in Northern Ireland, the emotions she shared, the situation she portrayed so vividly still resonate with young people today."

The author is survived by her husband Martin, her three daughters, Kersten, Bridget and Jenny, five grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/books/2022/07/14/joan-lingard-author-of-kevin-and-sadie-series-dies-aged-90/

Excerpt:

....In an interview with the Irish Post in 1998, Ms Lingard described how she had been inspired to create the characters of Kevin and Sadie after a friend from Belfast came to visit her at her home in Edinburgh.

“She was only recently married, to an Orangeman. We argued, but in spite of that, I liked him, which made you think more about it, and he also got on well with my kids, who were all under five.

“He would tell them bedtime stories, and I could hear them laughing..

“One night by the bedroom door I heard them and he was saying: ‘Who’s the good man?’ And they said, ‘King Billy’. ‘What does King Billy ride?’ ‘A white horse’ … ‘And who’s the bad man?’ And they yelled ‘the Pope!’

“And he laughed because they had it all off pat, and I laughed because they didn’t know what they were talking about.

“And he said, ‘now, now, it’s only a joke’. And I thought it could have been his own kids. It could have been the start of brainwashing.

“It was at that point I thought, I’m going to write a book for young people. And The Twelfth Day of July was born.”

http://www.joanlingard.co.uk/
(her site)
From another site:

"Joan Lingard received the prestigious West German award the
Buxthuderbulle in 1986 for Across The Barricades. Tug Of War has also
received great success: shortlisted for the Carnegie Medal 1989, The
Federation of Children's Book Group Award 1989, runner up in the
Lancashire Children's Book Club of the Year 1990 and shortlisted for
the Sheffield Book Award."
http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/l/joan-lingard/
(includes adult titles & book covers)
https://www.google.com/search?q=%22joan+lingard%22&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwiZ7d3Agv74AhWuHDQIHfISD8IQ2-cCegQIABAA&oq=%22joan+lingard%22&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQAzIFCAAQgAQyBAgAEB4yBAgAEBgyBAgAEBgyBAgAEBgyBAgAEBgyBAgAEBgyBAgAEBgyBAgAEBgyBAgAEBhQqgVYoA9g9xFoAHAAeACAAcoBiAHpBZIBBTAuMy4xmAEAoAEBqgELZ3dzLXdpei1pbWfAAQE&sclient=img&ei=3wDTYtmBM6650PEP8qW8kAw&hl=en
(photos, covers)

https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-reviews/joan-lingard/between-two-worlds-2/
(one Kirkus review)

https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/69826.Joan_Lingard
(reader reviews)

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joan+lingard&oq=joan+lingard&aq=f&aqi=g-m1&aql=&gs_nf=1&gs_l=youtube-psuggest.3..0i5.1302.3010.0.3134.12.12.0.1.1.0.106.775.8j3.11.0.
(a few videos)

From Contemporary Authors:

"In her 'Maggie' series, Lingard features a 'sprightly Glasgow
heroine,' noted Dunlop, further remarking that 'Lingard has stated
that she began to write her 'Maggie' quartet as a respite from
thinking about [Northern Ireland] and its problems. Certainly this
series, which has been televised, is much lighter in tone, although
its concerns are perhaps closer to the experience of most young
readers. Told with humour and panache in the first person, the series
follows the doings of Maggie, a working-class girl who wants to go to
university and fulfill her potential.'...

"...the Latvian Petersons...settle in Canada after World War
II."

JUVENILE NOVELS

Frying as Usual, illustrated by Priscilla Clive, Hamish Hamilton,
1973.
No Place for Love, Scholastic Book Services (New York, NY), 1976.
Snake among the Sunflowers, Thomas Nelson, 1977.
The Gooseberry, Hamish Hamilton, 1978, published as The Odd Girl Out,
Elsevier/Nelson (New York, NY), 1979.

The File on Fraulein Berg, Elsevier/Nelson, 1980.
Strangers in the House, Hamish Hamilton, 1981, Dutton (New York City),
1983.
The Winter Visitor, Hamish Hamilton, 1983.
The Freedom Machine, Hamish Hamilton, 1986.
The Guilty Party, Hamish Hamilton, 1987.
Rags and Riches, Hamish Hamilton, 1988.

Glad Rags, Hamish Hamilton, 1990.
Hands Off Our School!, illustrated by Mairi Hedderwick, Hamish
Hamilton, 1992.
Night Fires, Hamish Hamilton, 1993.
Dreams of Love and Modest Glory, Sinclair-Stevenson, 1995.

"SADIE AND KEVIN" JUVENILE SERIES

The Twelfth Day of July, Hamish Hamilton (London), 1970, Thomas Nelson
(Nashville), 1972.
Across the Barricades, Hamish Hamilton, 1972, Thomas Nelson, 1973.
Into Exile, Thomas Nelson, 1973.
A Proper Place, Thomas Nelson, 1975.
Hostages to Fortune, Hamish Hamilton, 1976, Thomas Nelson, 1977.

"MAGGIE" JUVENILE SERIES

The Clearance, Thomas Nelson, 1974.
The Resettling, Thomas Nelson, 1975.
The Pilgrimage, Hamish Hamilton, 1976, Thomas Nelson, 1977.
The Reunion, Hamish Hamilton, 1977, Thomas Nelson, 1978.

Maggie Omnibus, Hamish Hamilton, 1982.

"LATVIAN PETERSONS" JUVENILE SERIES

Tug of War, Dutton, 1989.

Between Two Worlds, Lodestar (New York, NY), 1991.

Also author of Her Mother's House, 1982; Clever Clive/Loopy Lucy,
illustrated by Jacqui Thomas, c. 1994; Lizzie's Leaving, c. 1995;
Sulky Suzy, Jittery Jack, illustrated by Jacqui Thomas, c. 1997.

The "Maggie" series was adapted for TV in 1981.