We are what we pretend to be. -- Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: [OT] Wokesters looking to cancel Jeff Dunham show

SubjectAuthor
* [OT] Wokesters looking to cancel Jeff Dunham showRhino
+* Re: [OT] Wokesters looking to cancel Jeff Dunham showmoviePig
|`* Re: [OT] Wokesters looking to cancel Jeff Dunham showtrotsky
| `* Re: [OT] Wokesters looking to cancel Jeff Dunham showmoviePig
|  `* Re: [OT] Wokesters looking to cancel Jeff Dunham showtrotsky
|   `* Re: [OT] Wokesters looking to cancel Jeff Dunham showmoviePig
|    `* Re: [OT] Wokesters looking to cancel Jeff Dunham showtrotsky
|     `* Re: [OT] Wokesters looking to cancel Jeff Dunham showmoviePig
|      +- Re: [OT] Wokesters looking to cancel Jeff Dunham showtrotsky
|      `- Re: [OT] Wokesters looking to cancel Jeff Dunham showThe Horny Goat
+- Re: [OT] Wokesters looking to cancel Jeff Dunham showThe Horny Goat
`- Re: [OT] Wokesters looking to cancel Jeff Dunham showUbiquitous

1
[OT] Wokesters looking to cancel Jeff Dunham show

<tedepm$b06c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=154260&group=rec.arts.tv#154260

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: [OT] Wokesters looking to cancel Jeff Dunham show
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2022 11:55:33 -0400
 by: Rhino - Sat, 27 Aug 2022 15:55 UTC

Wokesters in St. Catherine's (a city between Hamilton, Ontario and
Niagara Falls) are looking to cancel a live performance by comedian Jeff
Dunham. They've decided the show is racist, homophobic, etc. apparently
without seeing it.

https://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/news/council/2022/08/26/anti-racism-committee-says-ventriloquists-show-no-laughing-matter.html?utm_source=newsshowcase&utm_medium=gnews&utm_campaign=CDAqKggAIhAOY7EDJ_mQIctCmJtbs1k4KhQICiIQDmOxAyf5kCHLQpibW7NZODCc71c&utm_content=rundown

Hmm, based on this video, which the wokesters might well have seen
themselves, I can see why they'd object.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBvfiCdk-jc [5 minutes]

Still, I really don't like their grounds for wanting to cancel the show.
It seems like a way to cancel ANYTHING that offends ANYBODY for any
reason at all. Let them put some trigger warnings in the ads and offer
refunds to the people who have bought tickets who had no idea of
Dunham's comedy and then let the show go on.

--
Rhino

Re: [OT] Wokesters looking to cancel Jeff Dunham show

<pArOK.873951$ntj.401943@fx15.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=154271&group=rec.arts.tv#154271

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2022 12:25:54 -0400
 by: moviePig - Sat, 27 Aug 2022 16:25 UTC

On 8/27/2022 11:55 AM, Rhino wrote:
> Wokesters in St. Catherine's (a city between Hamilton, Ontario and
> Niagara Falls) are looking to cancel a live performance by comedian Jeff
> Dunham. They've decided the show is racist, homophobic, etc. apparently
> without seeing it.
>
> https://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/news/council/2022/08/26/anti-racism-committee-says-ventriloquists-show-no-laughing-matter.html?utm_source=newsshowcase&utm_medium=gnews&utm_campaign=CDAqKggAIhAOY7EDJ_mQIctCmJtbs1k4KhQICiIQDmOxAyf5kCHLQpibW7NZODCc71c&utm_content=rundown
>

> Hmm, based on this video, which the wokesters might well have seen
> themselves, I can see why they'd object.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBvfiCdk-jc [5 minutes]

Video is almost as politically incorrect as it is funny...

Re: [OT] Wokesters looking to cancel Jeff Dunham show

<tedudb$fq4$5@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=154318&group=rec.arts.tv#154318

From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2022 15:22:02 -0500
 by: trotsky - Sat, 27 Aug 2022 20:22 UTC

On 8/27/2022 11:25 AM, moviePig wrote:
> On 8/27/2022 11:55 AM, Rhino wrote:
>> Wokesters in St. Catherine's (a city between Hamilton, Ontario and
>> Niagara Falls) are looking to cancel a live performance by comedian
>> Jeff Dunham. They've decided the show is racist, homophobic, etc.
>> apparently without seeing it.
>>
>> https://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/news/council/2022/08/26/anti-racism-committee-says-ventriloquists-show-no-laughing-matter.html?utm_source=newsshowcase&utm_medium=gnews&utm_campaign=CDAqKggAIhAOY7EDJ_mQIctCmJtbs1k4KhQICiIQDmOxAyf5kCHLQpibW7NZODCc71c&utm_content=rundown
>>
>> Hmm, based on this video, which the wokesters might well have seen
>> themselves, I can see why they'd object.
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBvfiCdk-jc [5 minutes]

> Video is almost as politically incorrect as it is funny...

I wonder how desperate you are for dialogue if you entertain people
spewing horseshit like "wokesters." Does that alleged word mean
something to you?

Re: [OT] Wokesters looking to cancel Jeff Dunham show

<tEvOK.841878$J0r9.5337@fx11.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=154322&group=rec.arts.tv#154322

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2022 17:03:19 -0400
 by: moviePig - Sat, 27 Aug 2022 21:03 UTC

On 8/27/2022 4:22 PM, trotsky wrote:
> On 8/27/2022 11:25 AM, moviePig wrote:
>> On 8/27/2022 11:55 AM, Rhino wrote:
>>> Wokesters in St. Catherine's (a city between Hamilton, Ontario and
>>> Niagara Falls) are looking to cancel a live performance by comedian
>>> Jeff Dunham. They've decided the show is racist, homophobic, etc.
>>> apparently without seeing it.
>>>
>>> https://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/news/council/2022/08/26/anti-racism-committee-says-ventriloquists-show-no-laughing-matter.html?utm_source=newsshowcase&utm_medium=gnews&utm_campaign=CDAqKggAIhAOY7EDJ_mQIctCmJtbs1k4KhQICiIQDmOxAyf5kCHLQpibW7NZODCc71c&utm_content=rundown
>>>

>>> Hmm, based on this video, which the wokesters might well have seen
>>> themselves, I can see why they'd object.
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBvfiCdk-jc [5 minutes]

>> Video is almost as politically incorrect as it is funny...
>

> I wonder how desperate you are for dialogue if you entertain people
> spewing horseshit like "wokesters."  Does that alleged word mean
> something to you?

That particular "people", afaik, sees nothing I post. I merely wished
to inform whomever cares of a funny, albeit rude, video.

Re: [OT] Wokesters looking to cancel Jeff Dunham show

<tee3ar$i3l$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=154329&group=rec.arts.tv#154329

From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2022 16:46:02 -0500
 by: trotsky - Sat, 27 Aug 2022 21:46 UTC

On 8/27/2022 4:03 PM, moviePig wrote:
> On 8/27/2022 4:22 PM, trotsky wrote:

>>> Video is almost as politically incorrect as it is funny...
>>

>> I wonder how desperate you are for dialogue if you entertain people
>> spewing horseshit like "wokesters."  Does that alleged word mean
>> something to you?
>
> That particular "people", afaik, sees nothing I post.  I merely wished
> to inform whomever cares of a funny, albeit rude, video.

I'm not sure I'm getting you. You responded to Rhino who used a stupid
fake right wing "term". I'd lay waste to him utterly, but you said
nothing. You don't find something so stupid the least bit irritating?

Re: [OT] Wokesters looking to cancel Jeff Dunham show

<ivqlgh9fg38jl64utdq64mvk5kvdrh0ki2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=154371&group=rec.arts.tv#154371

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2022 21:17:34 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Sun, 28 Aug 2022 04:17 UTC

On Sat, 27 Aug 2022 11:55:33 -0400, Rhino
<no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:

>Still, I really don't like their grounds for wanting to cancel the show.
>It seems like a way to cancel ANYTHING that offends ANYBODY for any
>reason at all. Let them put some trigger warnings in the ads and offer
>refunds to the people who have bought tickets who had no idea of
>Dunham's comedy and then let the show go on.

So if I complain that Justin Trudeau (or Donald Trump) says things
that offend me I have the right to call and demand they be cancelled?

If we're discussing House of Commons debates on TV then surely there
would be more than 60 minutes of trigger warnings per hour given the
number of things that can 'trigger' people.

Re: [OT] Wokesters looking to cancel Jeff Dunham show

<sVKOK.891770$70j.314122@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=154406&group=rec.arts.tv#154406

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2022 10:25:27 -0400
 by: moviePig - Sun, 28 Aug 2022 14:25 UTC

On 8/27/2022 5:46 PM, trotsky wrote:
> On 8/27/2022 4:03 PM, moviePig wrote:

>>> I wonder how desperate you are for dialogue if you entertain people
>>> spewing horseshit like "wokesters."  Does that alleged word mean
>>> something to you?
>>
>> That particular "people", afaik, sees nothing I post.  I merely wished
>> to inform whomever cares of a funny, albeit rude, video.
>

> I'm not sure I'm getting you.  You responded to Rhino who used a stupid
> fake right wing "term".  I'd lay waste to him utterly, but you said
> nothing.  You don't find something so stupid the least bit irritating?

Actually, I accept 'wokester' as an actual deservedly invidious
phenomenon with lots of visible examples, though I don't suppose they're
nearly as adored or frequent as the Right would have everyone believe.

Re: [OT] Wokesters looking to cancel Jeff Dunham show

<A-ycneTslNK4FZb-nZ2dnZfqn_WdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=154419&group=rec.arts.tv#154419

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2022 11:22:12 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Sun, 28 Aug 2022 15:22 UTC

no_offline_contact@example.com wrote:

>Wokesters in St. Catherine's (a city between Hamilton, Ontario and
>Niagara Falls) are looking to cancel a live performance by comedian Jeff
>Dunham. They've decided the show is racist, homophobic, etc. apparently
>without seeing it.

I'd have been more surprised if they hadn't tried tyo get it cancelled.

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: [OT] Wokesters looking to cancel Jeff Dunham show

<teg35j$bol$4@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=154430&group=rec.arts.tv#154430

From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2022 10:55:31 -0500
 by: trotsky - Sun, 28 Aug 2022 15:55 UTC

On 8/28/2022 9:25 AM, moviePig wrote:
> On 8/27/2022 5:46 PM, trotsky wrote:

>>> That particular "people", afaik, sees nothing I post.  I merely
>>> wished to inform whomever cares of a funny, albeit rude, video.
>>

>> I'm not sure I'm getting you.  You responded to Rhino who used a
>> stupid fake right wing "term".  I'd lay waste to him utterly, but you
>> said nothing.  You don't find something so stupid the least bit
>> irritating?
>>

> Actually, I accept 'wokester' as an actual deservedly invidious
> phenomenon with lots of visible examples, though I don't suppose they're
> nearly as adored or frequent as the Right would have everyone believe.

Sure, can you name a couple of these examples? Because I have no idea
what that fake word is supposed to mean.

Re: [OT] Wokesters looking to cancel Jeff Dunham show

<B9OOK.851574$J0r9.279270@fx11.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=154464&group=rec.arts.tv#154464

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2022 14:07:29 -0400
 by: moviePig - Sun, 28 Aug 2022 18:07 UTC

On 8/28/2022 11:55 AM, trotsky wrote:
> On 8/28/2022 9:25 AM, moviePig wrote:

>>> I'm not sure I'm getting you.  You responded to Rhino who used a
>>> stupid fake right wing "term".  I'd lay waste to him utterly, but you
>>> said nothing.  You don't find something so stupid the least bit
>>> irritating?
>>>

>> Actually, I accept 'wokester' as an actual deservedly invidious
>> phenomenon with lots of visible examples, though I don't suppose
>> they're nearly as adored or frequent as the Right would have everyone
>> believe.
>
> Sure, can you name a couple of these examples?  Because I have no idea
> what that fake word is supposed to mean.

Top of my head, there's the video recently posted here of the woman
bitching about Drew Barrymore's rain ecstasy. Her reasons for dissing
Drew weren't even clear, but her repugnant "wokeness" sure was.

Re: [OT] Wokesters looking to cancel Jeff Dunham show

<tege6l$1hgr$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=154481&group=rec.arts.tv#154481

From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2022 14:03:48 -0500
 by: trotsky - Sun, 28 Aug 2022 19:03 UTC

On 8/28/2022 1:07 PM, moviePig wrote:
> On 8/28/2022 11:55 AM, trotsky wrote:

>>> Actually, I accept 'wokester' as an actual deservedly invidious
>>> phenomenon with lots of visible examples, though I don't suppose
>>> they're nearly as adored or frequent as the Right would have everyone
>>> believe.
>>
>> Sure, can you name a couple of these examples?  Because I have no idea
>> what that fake word is supposed to mean.
>
> Top of my head, there's the video recently posted here of the woman
> bitching about Drew Barrymore's rain ecstasy.  Her reasons for dissing
> Drew weren't even clear, but her repugnant "wokeness" sure was.

Okay, you got me. Forget I ever asked.

Re: [OT] Wokesters looking to cancel Jeff Dunham show

<j1foghtcri6lb7qtb5erddoalt7ko3putc@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=154564&group=rec.arts.tv#154564

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2022 21:11:14 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Mon, 29 Aug 2022 04:11 UTC

On Sun, 28 Aug 2022 14:07:29 -0400, moviePig <pwallace@moviepig.com>
wrote:

>> Sure, can you name a couple of these examples?  Because I have no idea
>> what that fake word is supposed to mean.
>
>Top of my head, there's the video recently posted here of the woman
>bitching about Drew Barrymore's rain ecstasy. Her reasons for dissing
>Drew weren't even clear, but her repugnant "wokeness" sure was.

That's ok - most of those on that side of the spectrum can't even
clearly define what "equity" is without buzzwords.