The more things change, the more they'll never be the same again.

arts / rec.arts.tv / What Happened To The Saturday Night Live Movie (Yes, Movie)

SubjectAuthor
* What Happened To The Saturday Night Live Movie (Yes, Movie)tmc1982
+* Once again, Ubi-the-Shithead forges Terrance Clay (was: What Happened To The SatAdam H. Kerman
|`* Re: Once again, Ubi-the-Shithead forges Terrance Claysuzeeq
| `* Re: Once again, Ubi-the-Shithead forges Terrance ClayAdam H. Kerman
|  `* Re: Once again, Ubi-the-Shithead forges Terrance Claysuzeeq
|   `* Re: Once again, Ubi-the-Shithead forges Terrance ClayAdam H. Kerman
|    `* Re: Once again, Ubi-the-Shithead forges Terrance Claysuzeeq
|     `* Re: Once again, Ubi-the-Shithead forges Terrance Clayshawn
|      +- Re: Once again, Ubi-the-Shithead forges Terrance Claysuzeeq
|      `- Re: Once again, Ubi-the-Shithead forges Terrance ClayAdam H. Kerman
+- Re: What Happened To The Saturday Night Live Movie (Yes, Movie)Ubiquitous
`- Re: What Happened To The Saturday Night Live Movie (Yes, Movie)Norman Nescio

1
What Happened To The Saturday Night Live Movie (Yes, Movie)

<n59936ba-fd22-4aec-84a8-7dc9ee0694c4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=154629&group=rec.arts.tv#154629

Newsgroups: alt.tv.snl,rec.arts.movies.misc,rec.arts.movies.past-films,rec.arts.tv
Subject: What Happened To The Saturday Night Live Movie (Yes, Movie)
From: tmc1...@gmail.com
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2022 17:43:28 -0700 (PDT)
 by: tmc1...@gmail.com - Sun, 28 Aug 2022 00:43 UTC

https://screenrant.com/saturday-night-live-movie-1990-cancel-reason/

A script actually existed for The Saturday Night Live Movie. Here's what we
know about the SNL sketch comedy anthology film and why it was never made.

Once again, Ubi-the-Shithead forges Terrance Clay (was: What Happened To The Saturday Night Live Movie (Yes, Movie))

<teikei$14evl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=154630&group=rec.arts.tv#154630

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: alt.tv.snl,rec.arts.movies.misc,rec.arts.movies.past-films,rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2022 15:02:43 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Mon, 29 Aug 2022 15:02 UTC

tmc1982@gmail.com wrote:

>https://screenrant.com/saturday-night-live-movie-1990-cancel-reason/

>A script actually existed for The Saturday Night Live Movie. Here's what we
>know about the SNL sketch comedy anthology film and why it was never made.

Terrance Clay did not post this. This was posted by Ubi the Shithead
forging Terrance Clay, copying headers from Clay's actual article
showing that Clay had injected the article through Google Groups even
though Ubi the Shithead posts via Giganews.

This is serious, long-standing abuse of Usenet. Forgery and header
pre-loading is all nonstandard.

Don't continue to allow Ubi-the-Shithead to get away with these
forgeries.

Re: Once again, Ubi-the-Shithead forges Terrance Clay

<teilcu$isl8$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=154632&group=rec.arts.tv#154632

From: suz...@imbris.com (suzeeq)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: Once again, Ubi-the-Shithead forges Terrance Clay
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2022 08:18:53 -0700
 by: suzeeq - Mon, 29 Aug 2022 15:18 UTC

On 8/29/2022 8:02 AM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> tmc1982@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> https://screenrant.com/saturday-night-live-movie-1990-cancel-reason/
>
>> A script actually existed for The Saturday Night Live Movie. Here's what we
>> know about the SNL sketch comedy anthology film and why it was never made.
>
> Terrance Clay did not post this. This was posted by Ubi the Shithead
> forging Terrance Clay, copying headers from Clay's actual article
> showing that Clay had injected the article through Google Groups even
> though Ubi the Shithead posts via Giganews.
>
> This is serious, long-standing abuse of Usenet. Forgery and header
> pre-loading is all nonstandard.
>
> Don't continue to allow Ubi-the-Shithead to get away with these
> forgeries.

Have you reported him to his service provider?

Re: Once again, Ubi-the-Shithead forges Terrance Clay

<teilru$14evl$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=154637&group=rec.arts.tv#154637

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2022 15:26:54 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Mon, 29 Aug 2022 15:26 UTC

suzeeq <suzee@imbris.com> wrote:
>On 8/29/2022 8:02 AM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
>>tmc1982@gmail.com wrote:

>>>https://screenrant.com/saturday-night-live-movie-1990-cancel-reason/

>>>A script actually existed for The Saturday Night Live Movie. Here's what we
>>>know about the SNL sketch comedy anthology film and why it was never made.

>>Terrance Clay did not post this. This was posted by Ubi the Shithead
>>forging Terrance Clay, copying headers from Clay's actual article
>>showing that Clay had injected the article through Google Groups even
>>though Ubi the Shithead posts via Giganews.

>>This is serious, long-standing abuse of Usenet. Forgery and header
>>pre-loading is all nonstandard.

>>Don't continue to allow Ubi-the-Shithead to get away with these
>>forgeries.

>Have you reported him to his service provider?

I have filed any number of abuse reports concerning Ubi the shithead's
forgeries over many years. As you can see, Giganews takes no action to
thwart what it truly serious abuse of Usenet and against their own TOS/AUP.

The fact that Ubi-the-shithead preloads headers to make it appear that
the forged article was injected through Google Groups and not Giganews
is extremely serious abuse of Usenet, beyond just the fact of the forgery.
No reputable News site should ever allow itself to be used in this
manner.

That still doesn't mean the rest of the Usenet community cannot take its
own action to thwart Ubi. Just never post a followup to Ubishit, and
treat the handful of articles Ubi hasn't plagarized as something to be
ignored.

Re: Once again, Ubi-the-Shithead forges Terrance Clay

<teimf5$itfi$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=154639&group=rec.arts.tv#154639

From: suz...@imbris.com (suzeeq)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2022 08:37:09 -0700
 by: suzeeq - Mon, 29 Aug 2022 15:37 UTC

On 8/29/2022 8:26 AM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> suzeeq <suzee@imbris.com> wrote:

>>> Terrance Clay did not post this. This was posted by Ubi the Shithead
>>> forging Terrance Clay, copying headers from Clay's actual article
>>> showing that Clay had injected the article through Google Groups even
>>> though Ubi the Shithead posts via Giganews.
>
>>> This is serious, long-standing abuse of Usenet. Forgery and header
>>> pre-loading is all nonstandard.
>
>>> Don't continue to allow Ubi-the-Shithead to get away with these
>>> forgeries.
>
>> Have you reported him to his service provider?
>
> I have filed any number of abuse reports concerning Ubi the shithead's
> forgeries over many years. As you can see, Giganews takes no action to
> thwart what it truly serious abuse of Usenet and against their own TOS/AUP.
>
> The fact that Ubi-the-shithead preloads headers to make it appear that
> the forged article was injected through Google Groups and not Giganews
> is extremely serious abuse of Usenet, beyond just the fact of the forgery.
> No reputable News site should ever allow itself to be used in this
> manner.
>
> That still doesn't mean the rest of the Usenet community cannot take its
> own action to thwart Ubi. Just never post a followup to Ubishit, and
> treat the handful of articles Ubi hasn't plagarized as something to be
> ignored.

We could all killfile him... That's how I've been ignoring him.

Re: What Happened To The Saturday Night Live Movie (Yes, Movie)

<teirt8$16g2v$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=154648&group=rec.arts.tv#154648

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: alt.tv.snl,rec.arts.movies.misc,rec.arts.movies.past-films,rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2022 13:09:08 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Mon, 29 Aug 2022 17:09 UTC

tmc1982@gmail.com wrote:

>A script actually existed for The Saturday Night Live Movie. Here's what we
>know about the SNL sketch comedy anthology film and why it was never made.

He classifies one sketch by Franken and Tom Davis as "dated the
second it was dropped into the script" and "one of the least funny
and most unintentionally racist things I've ever read."

Has Al Franken _ever_ written something that was funny?

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: Once again, Ubi-the-Shithead forges Terrance Clay

<tej1s3$17h39$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=154677&group=rec.arts.tv#154677

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2022 18:51:47 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Mon, 29 Aug 2022 18:51 UTC

suzeeq <suzee@imbris.com> wrote:
>On 8/29/2022 8:26 AM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
>>suzeeq <suzee@imbris.com> wrote:

>>>Have you reported him to his service provider?

>>I have filed any number of abuse reports concerning Ubi the shithead's
>>forgeries over many years. As you can see, Giganews takes no action to
>>thwart what it truly serious abuse of Usenet and against their own TOS/AUP.

>>The fact that Ubi-the-shithead preloads headers to make it appear that
>>the forged article was injected through Google Groups and not Giganews
>>is extremely serious abuse of Usenet, beyond just the fact of the forgery.
>>No reputable News site should ever allow itself to be used in this
>>manner.

>>That still doesn't mean the rest of the Usenet community cannot take its
>>own action to thwart Ubi. Just never post a followup to Ubishit, and
>>treat the handful of articles Ubi hasn't plagarized as something to be
>>ignored.

>We could all killfile him... That's how I've been ignoring him.

Ubi the shithead receives followups to his forgeries. Kill filing based
on the email address on From doesn't work for forgeries committed by Ubi
the shithead. You have to read the headers to observe the forgery and to
notice the pre-loaded injection headers.

Re: Once again, Ubi-the-Shithead forges Terrance Clay

<tej343$j549$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=154681&group=rec.arts.tv#154681

From: suz...@imbris.com (suzeeq)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2022 12:13:06 -0700
 by: suzeeq - Mon, 29 Aug 2022 19:13 UTC

On 8/29/2022 11:51 AM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> suzeeq <suzee@imbris.com> wrote:

>>> I have filed any number of abuse reports concerning Ubi the shithead's
>>> forgeries over many years. As you can see, Giganews takes no action to
>>> thwart what it truly serious abuse of Usenet and against their own TOS/AUP.
>
>>> The fact that Ubi-the-shithead preloads headers to make it appear that
>>> the forged article was injected through Google Groups and not Giganews
>>> is extremely serious abuse of Usenet, beyond just the fact of the forgery.
>>> No reputable News site should ever allow itself to be used in this
>>> manner.
>
>>> That still doesn't mean the rest of the Usenet community cannot take its
>>> own action to thwart Ubi. Just never post a followup to Ubishit, and
>>> treat the handful of articles Ubi hasn't plagarized as something to be
>>> ignored.
>
>> We could all killfile him... That's how I've been ignoring him.
>
> Ubi the shithead receives followups to his forgeries. Kill filing based
> on the email address on From doesn't work for forgeries committed by Ubi
> the shithead. You have to read the headers to observe the forgery and to
> notice the pre-loaded injection headers.

Yes but when I see someone replying to him, I can skip over what he
wrote and only read the reply.

Re: Once again, Ubi-the-Shithead forges Terrance Clay

<klcqgh97crbmff1jnerbla35gdj7n1cov9@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=154710&group=rec.arts.tv#154710

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2022 17:43:04 -0400
 by: shawn - Mon, 29 Aug 2022 21:43 UTC

On Mon, 29 Aug 2022 12:13:06 -0700, suzeeq <suzee@imbris.com> wrote:

>On 8/29/2022 11:51 AM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
>> suzeeq <suzee@imbris.com> wrote:

>>> We could all killfile him... That's how I've been ignoring him.
>>
>> Ubi the shithead receives followups to his forgeries. Kill filing based
>> on the email address on From doesn't work for forgeries committed by Ubi
>> the shithead. You have to read the headers to observe the forgery and to
>> notice the pre-loaded injection headers.
>>

>Yes but when I see someone replying to him, I can skip over what he
>wrote and only read the reply.

I solved that by kill filing Ubi so I only see the replies. Makes it
much easier as I don't need to worry about is this from Ubi or not.

Re: Once again, Ubi-the-Shithead forges Terrance Clay

<tejfbv$io4l$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=154723&group=rec.arts.tv#154723

From: suz...@imbris.com (suzeeq)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2022 15:42:07 -0700
 by: suzeeq - Mon, 29 Aug 2022 22:42 UTC

On 8/29/2022 2:43 PM, shawn wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Aug 2022 12:13:06 -0700, suzeeq <suzee@imbris.com> wrote:

>>> Ubi the shithead receives followups to his forgeries. Kill filing based
>>> on the email address on From doesn't work for forgeries committed by Ubi
>>> the shithead. You have to read the headers to observe the forgery and to
>>> notice the pre-loaded injection headers.
>>>

>> Yes but when I see someone replying to him, I can skip over what he
>> wrote and only read the reply.
>
> I solved that by kill filing Ubi so I only see the replies. Makes it
> much easier as I don't need to worry about is this from Ubi or not.

Yep.

Re: What Happened To The Saturday Night Live Movie (Yes, Movie)

<L-Gdndmv39srx5D-nZ2dnZfqn_vNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=154730&group=rec.arts.tv#154730

From: non...@gmail.com (Norman Nescio)
Newsgroups: alt.tv.snl,rec.arts.movies.misc,rec.arts.movies.past-films,rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2022 20:32:43 -0400
 by: Norman Nescio - Tue, 30 Aug 2022 00:32 UTC

TMC wrote in message

> https://screenrant.com/saturday-night-live-movie-1990-cancel-reason/
>
> A script actually existed for The Saturday Night Live Movie. Here's what
> we
> know about the SNL sketch comedy anthology film and why it was never made.

Saturday Night At The Movies: What The Heck Was 'The Saturday Night Live
Movie'?
A look at a long-lost might-have-been from some pretty surprising names

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/motion-captured/posts/saturday-night-at-the-movies-what-the-heck-was-the-saturday-night-live-movie

This morning, I sat down with Will Ferrell, Adam McKay, and Eva Mendes to
discuss their new film "The Other Guys," and while I'm still under embargo
about that movie, I can share what happened at the very end of my interview
with McKay.

I mentioned to him that I was doing this series on this site right now, and
he told me he'd love to sit down and talk "SNL" at some point in the future.
I mentioned to him that I was going to write up a script I just discovered
for the column this week, and when I told him the title, he looked at me
like I'd just tried to describe cell memory in Mandarin Chinese. "What is
that?" I told him, and I listed some of the writers who were involved, many
of whom are friends of McKay's from his time on the show. "I never even
knew that existed," he said, astonished. Keep in mind, Adam McKay was head
writer of the show at one point, and he'd never heard of it.

I know the feeling. And, honestly, it seems impossible to me that I've
never heard of "The Saturday Night Live Movie."

As I've said since the start of this column, this subject has fascinated me
for almost as long as the show's been on the air. Once Chevy Chase made the
jump to the bigscreen, he established a path that many others have followed
over the years, both in front of the camera and behind it. There have been
films that have capitalized on the cultural currency of "Saturday Night
Live" by tapping into the same counterculture comic sensibilities, like
"Animal House" or "Caddyshack," as well as films that have directly
translated "SNL" characters to the bigscreen like "The Blues Brothers" and
"Wayne's World" and "Coneheads."

But what I never knew until last month was that in 1990, there was an
attempt to make an actual theatrical release called "The Saturday Night Live
Movie," an anthology comedy film a la "Kentucky Fried Movie" that was aimed
at satirizing the experience of going to the movies, written by an all-star
cast of writers who have been associated with the show over the years.

How did I learn of the project's existence?

The best way possible: the script landed on my desk.

Let's start with a look at who's involved. On the very last page, there is
a list of the various sketches that are part of the film, and a list of who
wrote which one. It gives you an idea of the format and what sort of sketch
to expect from the movie.

"Welcome To The Movies" by Conan O'Brien, Robert Smigel, and Greg Daniels
"Young Bush At Yale" by Jim Downey, Al Franken, and Robert Smigel
"Cineplex" by Robert Smigel, Conan O'Brien, and Greg Daniels
"Appeal #1" by Jim Downey and Al Franken
"Romance" by Al Franken and Tom Davis
"Crack Rap" by Al Franken and Tom Davis
"Appeal #2" by Jim Downey and Al Franken
"Dad's Car" by Robert Smigel, Conan O'Brien and Greg Daniels
"Bum Piss Canyon/Apology" by Tom Davis, Jim Downey, and Al Franken
"Appeal #3" by Jim Downey and Al Franken
"E.T.'s" by Greg Daniels, Robert Smigel, Jim Downey, and Conan O'Brien
"On The Farm" by Robert Smigel, Conan O'Brien, Greg Daniels, and Al Franken
"Wonderful Life" by Jim Downey and Al Franken
"Tip Stealer" by George Meyer
"Movie's Over" by Conan O'Brien, Robert Smigel, and Greg Daniels
"Blooper Credits" by Conan O'Brien and Jim Downey

That's a pretty amazing list of names. It's interesting that Lorne Michaels
is credited as a writer on the title page, but there's no sign of him on the
actual breakdown of individual sketches. I'm guessing that, just as he does
on the show, Lorne ended up as the final arbiter of what made it into the
script and what didn't. Bonnie Turner and Terry Turner are also listed on
the title page, but don't seem to have any sketches in the film, which makes
me think they must have served as editors of a sort. They were a big part
of Lorne's early-'90s push to make movies. So who are the guys who are
actually listed on the sketches?

First, we've got Greg Daniels. He's a writer/producer on "The Office" these
days, and also a writer/producer on "Parks and Recreation." He was a major
voice in the mix on the long-running animated show "King Of The Hill." He
has several scripts for "The Simpsons" to his name, and he wrote the classic
"Seinfeld" episode, "The Parking Space." He was a writer for "SNL" from '87
to '90 and before that cut his teeth on the HBO comedy series "Not
Necessarily The News."

Tom Davis and Al Franken are one of the great writing teams from the early
days of "Saturday Night Live," and much of the tone for what's been produced
on the show since those first few seasons was established by the work
Franken and Davis did together. They never quite managed to make the jump
to writing features together, though, and their one big shot at the
bigscreen together, "One More Saturday Night," vanished without a trace.

James Downey has been with SNL since 1977. That's unreal. If anyone can
claim to be one of the bedrocks of the show's ongoing success, it's Downey.
He's the anchor, the guy who's been there forever. No one has ever been a
voice on the show longer. Even Lorne had a few years off while Downey was
there.

George Meyer is a "Simpsons" legend. Seriously... just watch the box sets
with commentary on, and you'll hear the various contributors to the show
sing his praises to no end.

Robert Smigel? Triumph the Insult Comic Dog. Need I say more?

And, of course, there's Conan O'Brien. Especially after the last half-year
or so of "Team Coco" and the "Tonight Show" battle, Conan's place as a
comedy icon seems pretty well secured now. For many of us, he's been a
source of great comedy for a lot of years, and even before people knew his
face, they knew his work. He must have been fairly new to SNL when he got
involved with this project, and he's all over it.

Like an average episode of SNL, there's a lot of hit and miss in the line-up
here. "Crack Rap," for example, might be one of the least funny and most
unintentionally racist things I've ever read. Unfunny, dated the second it
was dropped into the script, and a total throwaway. It confuses me because
when you're doing a weekly show, I can understand that sort of
written-on-the-run some-works-some-doesn't approach. You're writing like
you're being chased, working your ass off and hoping it all comes together.
You're trying to balance the demands of the guest hosts and the desires of
the cast and the inspiration of the writers. It's frankly amazing that
anything good ever happens on SNL, and that magic trick each week is one of
the things that's always kept me interested in the show through cast changes
and writing room shake-ups. With a feature film, though, you've got way
more time to prep, and there's no excuse for the sort of haphazard approach
to the sketches. It seems like you'd want to take your time and really
polish each and every piece so that the movie serves as a permanent record
of the best the show has to offer. I have no idea how far into the process
they made it with this film, but I would hope the script went back up on the
blocks after the draft I read.

Which is not to say I disliked the script, or that I think it was a bad idea
in general. I'm actually intrigued by this one's potential. Now that I've
read this, I'm sort of amazed they never made some version of the film. It
seems like a natural fit, especially since the '90s saw Lorne Michaels
working closely with Paramount to bring the SNL brand to the bigscreen in a
more aggressive way, leading to things like "Coneheads" and "Wayne's World."
It seems like the holy grail would have been to make a film with "Saturday
Night Live" in the title.

The very first bit, "Welcome To The Movies," is a send-up of a pre-show
announcement trailer that overexplains and overhypes the most mundane parts
of the movie experience. Words whoosh out of the screen. "Thank you for
coming to this theater." "You could have chose any theater but you chose
our theater." As they talk about the smoking policy, the camera zooms into
and out of an animated cigarette, then does the same with concessions.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Once again, Ubi-the-Shithead forges Terrance Clay

<tek30d$1d2hv$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=154745&group=rec.arts.tv#154745

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2022 04:17:17 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Tue, 30 Aug 2022 04:17 UTC

>On Mon, 29 Aug 2022 12:13:06 -0700, suzeeq <suzee@imbris.com> wrote:

>Here's what we
>never made.

>>> Ubi the shithead receives followups to his forgeries. Kill filing based
>>> on the email address on From doesn't work for forgeries committed by Ubi
>>> the shithead. You have to read the headers to observe the forgery and to
>>> notice the pre-loaded injection headers.
>>>

>>Yes but when I see someone replying to him, I can skip over what he
>>wrote and only read the reply.
>
>I solved that by kill filing Ubi so I only see the replies. Makes it
>much easier as I don't need to worry about is this from Ubi or not.

Again: No one has Ubi the shithead killfiled when he's forging Terrence
Clay and others. People keep following up to his forgeries, encouraging
Ubi the shithead to continue.