I've been on a diet for two weeks and all I've lost is two weeks. -- Totie Fields

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: We Need These Ped Crossings in My Neighborhood

SubjectAuthor
* We Need These Ped Crossings in My NeighborhoodBTR1701
+- Re: We Need These Ped Crossings in My NeighborhoodAdam H. Kerman
+* Re: We Need These Ped Crossings in My NeighborhoodRhino
|+* Re: We Need These Ped Crossings in My NeighborhoodAdam H. Kerman
||`- Re: We Need These Ped Crossings in My NeighborhoodThe Horny Goat
|`* Re: We Need These Ped Crossings in My NeighborhoodThe Horny Goat
| `* Re: We Need These Ped Crossings in My NeighborhoodA Friend
|  `* Re: We Need These Ped Crossings in My NeighborhoodThe Horny Goat
|   `- Re: We Need These Ped Crossings in My NeighborhoodAdam H. Kerman
`- Re: We Need These Ped Crossings in My Neighborhoodtrotsky

1
We Need These Ped Crossings in My Neighborhood

<Fa2dnW6FlP9lLpb-nZ2dnZfqnPvNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=154471&group=rec.arts.tv#154471

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: We Need These Ped Crossings in My Neighborhood
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2022 18:29:12 +0000
 by: BTR1701 - Sun, 28 Aug 2022 18:29 UTC

https://twitter.com/fastworkers6/status/1563783450531745792?s=20&t=HFihZXvOLX_SUv2yBwcflQ

Re: We Need These Ped Crossings in My Neighborhood

<tegdmt$mido$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=154476&group=rec.arts.tv#154476

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: We Need These Ped Crossings in My Neighborhood
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2022 18:55:25 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sun, 28 Aug 2022 18:55 UTC

BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

>https://twitter.com/fastworkers6/status/1563783450531745792?s=20&t=HFihZXvOLX_SUv2yBwcflQ

Hahahaha

I was trying to figure out what the boxing glove was for!

Re: We Need These Ped Crossings in My Neighborhood

<tegdva$ml79$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=154478&group=rec.arts.tv#154478

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2022 14:59:53 -0400
 by: Rhino - Sun, 28 Aug 2022 18:59 UTC

On 2022-08-28 2:29 PM, BTR1701 wrote:

> https://twitter.com/fastworkers6/status/1563783450531745792?s=20&t=HFihZXvOLX_SUv2yBwcflQ

That would certainly stop so-called pedestrian crossings from turning
into jaywalking zones! But the jaywalkers would just move a few steps
down the street to jaywalk there. I can say that with some authority
because I'm a jaywalker and that's what I'd do ;-)

I should mention that I do look around before attempting to cross and
find a reasonable gap before stepping out; I don't just walk across
without even looking and trust to good luck to save me.

--
Rhino

Re: We Need These Ped Crossings in My Neighborhood

<tegejo$1hgr$5@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=154487&group=rec.arts.tv#154487

From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2022 14:10:48 -0500
 by: trotsky - Sun, 28 Aug 2022 19:10 UTC

On 8/28/2022 1:29 PM, BTR1701 wrote:

> https://twitter.com/fastworkers6/status/1563783450531745792?s=20&t=HFihZXvOLX_SUv2yBwcflQ

That's a great idea, but it should be used to prevent the stealing of
Top Secret documents.

Re: We Need These Ped Crossings in My Neighborhood

<tegem5$mido$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=154488&group=rec.arts.tv#154488

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2022 19:12:05 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sun, 28 Aug 2022 19:12 UTC

>On 2022-08-28 2:29 PM, BTR1701 wrote:

>>https://twitter.com/fastworkers6/status/1563783450531745792?s=20&t=HFihZXvOLX_SUv2yBwcflQ

>That would certainly stop so-called pedestrian crossings from turning
>into jaywalking zones! But the jaywalkers would just move a few steps
>down the street to jaywalk there. I can say that with some authority
>because I'm a jaywalker and that's what I'd do ;-)

>I should mention that I do look around before attempting to cross and
>find a reasonable gap before stepping out; I don't just walk across
>without even looking and trust to good luck to save me.

I don't care for the term "jaywalking" as it discusses pedestrians
crossing the street both legally and illegally.

If there's a red light (and no separate "ped head" signals), it's
illegal to cross the street at that intersection.

But at uncontrolled intersections and intersections with stop signs,
with or without painted crosswalks, and midblock crossings with painted
crosswalks, if the pedestrian isn't deliberately stepping into traffic
in which the driver cannot yield, it's perfectly legal for the
pedestrian to assert right of way by stepping off the curb. Traffic on
his half of the roadway must yield.

Midblock without a painted crosswalk, it's legal to cross the street as
long as the pedestrian has yielded to conflicting traffic on that half
of the roadway. Without a traffic conflict, it's generally legal to
cross mid block, what gets commonly called "jaywalking" to suggest that
it's illegal.

There is no hard and fast rule as to what's midblock, of course, but a
pedestrian can't simply enter an intersection facing a red light just
because he's stepped a few additional feet away from the crosswalk
without violating the vehicle code. Several car lengths away, sure.

Re: We Need These Ped Crossings in My Neighborhood

<kihogh1p5ljh0t1b7a4sf23kdr21m3j58j@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=154577&group=rec.arts.tv#154577

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2022 21:59:29 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Mon, 29 Aug 2022 04:59 UTC

On Sun, 28 Aug 2022 14:59:53 -0400, Rhino
<no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:

>On 2022-08-28 2:29 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
>>
>> https://twitter.com/fastworkers6/status/1563783450531745792?s=20&t=HFihZXvOLX_SUv2yBwcflQ
>>

>That would certainly stop so-called pedestrian crossings from turning
>into jaywalking zones! But the jaywalkers would just move a few steps
>down the street to jaywalk there. I can say that with some authority
>because I'm a jaywalker and that's what I'd do ;-)
>
>I should mention that I do look around before attempting to cross and
>find a reasonable gap before stepping out; I don't just walk across
>without even looking and trust to good luck to save me.

Glad you're sensible.

I once had a situation near our library where there's a turn lane
(which is an angled corner NOT a regular corner) to allow access to
the library parking lot (it's also used by buses) and the young lady
in question was looking down at her cell phone while close to the
curb.

When it was my turn to turn I pulled up to the crosswalk lines and she
was STILL looking down at her phone and was motionless so I concluded
she was NOT intending to cross so I started into the crosswalk. About
half way through she then RAN directly in front of me with no movement
of any sort and even then STILL didn't look up at the road ahead. I
both slammed on my brake and used my horn for a good 10 second blast
and to this day I do not believe she ever saw me until she heard my
horn since at no time did she ever look in any direction except down.

I parked as quickly as possible and stayed longer than usual at the
library thinking what a close call we had had. But no question her
actions that day proved a total disregard for her personal safety and
she was fortunate I was paying a great deal more attention than she
was.

Re: We Need These Ped Crossings in My Neighborhood

<vuhogh9dev1gpnbh538k9rk1aiba6ltbku@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=154579&group=rec.arts.tv#154579

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2022 22:01:58 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Mon, 29 Aug 2022 05:01 UTC

On Sun, 28 Aug 2022 19:12:05 -0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman"
<ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

>But at uncontrolled intersections and intersections with stop signs,
>with or without painted crosswalks, and midblock crossings with painted
>crosswalks, if the pedestrian isn't deliberately stepping into traffic
>in which the driver cannot yield, it's perfectly legal for the
>pedestrian to assert right of way by stepping off the curb. Traffic on
>his half of the roadway must yield.

The difference between your situation and mine (discussed in the
she made it clear she was NOT crossing and then only started to cross
WHEN I WAS MOST OF THE WAY THROUGH THE CROSSWALK.

Re: We Need These Ped Crossings in My Neighborhood

<290820220645119935%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=154598&group=rec.arts.tv#154598

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2022 06:45:11 -0400
 by: A Friend - Mon, 29 Aug 2022 10:45 UTC

In article <kihogh1p5ljh0t1b7a4sf23kdr21m3j58j@4ax.com>, The Horny Goat
<lcraver@home.ca> wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Aug 2022 14:59:53 -0400, Rhino
> <no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:
>
> >On 2022-08-28 2:29 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> >>

> >> https://twitter.com/fastworkers6/status/1563783450531745792?s=20&t=HFihZXvO
> >> LX_SUv2yBwcflQ
> >>

> >That would certainly stop so-called pedestrian crossings from turning
> >into jaywalking zones! But the jaywalkers would just move a few steps
> >down the street to jaywalk there. I can say that with some authority
> >because I'm a jaywalker and that's what I'd do ;-)
> >
> >I should mention that I do look around before attempting to cross and
> >find a reasonable gap before stepping out; I don't just walk across
> >without even looking and trust to good luck to save me.
>
> Glad you're sensible.
>
> I once had a situation near our library where there's a turn lane
> (which is an angled corner NOT a regular corner) to allow access to
> the library parking lot (it's also used by buses) and the young lady
> in question was looking down at her cell phone while close to the
> curb.
>
> When it was my turn to turn I pulled up to the crosswalk lines and she
> was STILL looking down at her phone and was motionless so I concluded
> she was NOT intending to cross so I started into the crosswalk. About
> half way through she then RAN directly in front of me with no movement
> of any sort and even then STILL didn't look up at the road ahead. I
> both slammed on my brake and used my horn for a good 10 second blast
> and to this day I do not believe she ever saw me until she heard my
> horn since at no time did she ever look in any direction except down.
>
> I parked as quickly as possible and stayed longer than usual at the
> library thinking what a close call we had had. But no question her
> actions that day proved a total disregard for her personal safety and
> she was fortunate I was paying a great deal more attention than she
> was.

I had much the same thing happen here, except that the idiot gal gave
me some lip. That's when I got out of the truck and made myself look
scary. She ran. Must have worked.

Re: We Need These Ped Crossings in My Neighborhood

<28vpgh5duirekapa2c5d81fvvt4v2qf3ju@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=154663&group=rec.arts.tv#154663

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2022 10:57:54 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Mon, 29 Aug 2022 17:57 UTC

On Mon, 29 Aug 2022 06:45:11 -0400, A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:

>I had much the same thing happen here, except that the idiot gal gave
>me some lip. That's when I got out of the truck and made myself look
>scary. She ran. Must have worked.

Sometimes that's a positive thing. I once encountered a drunk
aboriginal man who was berating a very small Chinese woman in the
worst way imaginable.

I forced my way between them (not that hard - they were 3-4 feet
apart) and told the guy in no uncertain terms that he was not going to
say anything further to her or have anything to do with her until she
boarded the bus. Which took another 10 minutes or so. The lady didn't
say anything but it was obvious in her eyes that she was grateful.
After the bus loaded a couple of people thanked me for doing what I
did.

Roughly half his "conversation" was f-bombs and related language and
the rest racial epithets some pretty foul.

Re: We Need These Ped Crossings in My Neighborhood

<teiv9l$172n9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=154665&group=rec.arts.tv#154665

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2022 18:07:49 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Mon, 29 Aug 2022 18:07 UTC

The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca> wrote:

>>. . .

>Sometimes that's a positive thing. I once encountered a drunk
>aboriginal man who was berating a very small Chinese woman in the
>worst way imaginable.

>I forced my way between them (not that hard - they were 3-4 feet
>apart) and told the guy in no uncertain terms that he was not going to
>say anything further to her or have anything to do with her until she
>boarded the bus. Which took another 10 minutes or so. The lady didn't
>say anything but it was obvious in her eyes that she was grateful.
>After the bus loaded a couple of people thanked me for doing what I
>did.

How nice of them to wait for someone else to intervene so they didn't
have to.