Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv,alt.censorship
Subject: THE BIG [CENSORED] THEORY
From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2022 05:01:48 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Wed, 31 Aug 2022 09:01 UTC

Growing up in China, I had a blast watching American TV shows. They not
only helped me learn English, but also introduced me to fresh
perspectives and worldviews. The Big Bang Theory was among my
favorites.

I quickly became a fan of the sitcom when it was officially introduced
in China on a video streaming website in 2011. But when I rewatched the
show in 2022 on Youku, a Chinese video streaming website backed by e-
commerce giant Alibaba, I couldn�t help but notice weird jumps, pauses,
and disconnected canned laughter. Here is an example:

What happened to the show?

To understand that, we have to back up a bit. This change can be traced
to a sudden political decision in 2014. According to the state-owned
media outlet Xinhua, streaming platforms received a private
notification from regulators to remind them of one key rule:

�imported American and British TV shows must be �reviewed and approved
by officials before streaming to the public.��

Shortly thereafter, The Big Bang Theory was among a handful of imported
shows pulled from Chinese websites. Audiences were only left with a
black screen and a line: �video has been removed due to policy
reasons.�

When these shows resurfaced, they were full of these weird jumps,
signaling that scenes were removed during censorship because someone
somewhere thought it would be inappropriate or illegal to stream such
content.

So the question has to be asked: what kind of content has been removed,
and why?

stacked bar chart of 100 episodes where no values are depicted yet
SHELDEN: Well today we tried masturbating for money.
SHELDON: Alright, let's see. Bernie Bunny has two daddies now. It's
probably about homosexual rabbits.
LEONARD: How about when you put GPS trackers in your garbage because
you were convinced North Korean spies were stealing your doodles?
Download data

To find out, I compared 100 episodes of the original version of The Big
Bang Theory with the edited Youku version to understand what was cut
out and decipher the logic behind the decision.

77 of the first 100 episodes had at least one edit, amounting to 206
removed scenes.

I categorized these scenes, among which sex, LGBTQ+ (and atypical
heterosexual relationships), as well as disrespect toward China or the
country�s allies are the most common ones. The four other topics
account for a rather small portion but are still worth mentioning:
illegal actions, religion, unhealthy addictions, and miscellaneous.

Most scenes are in the sex category, where characters mentioned sexual
descriptions, body parts, and other relevant languages.

The LGBTQ+ category refers to any conversation that brings up
relationships or physical intimacy that fall outside of a typical
heterosexual coupling.

Cases in the category of disrespect usually involve a joke at the
expense of China or its peers North Korea and Russia.

This added up to over one hour of deleted scenes, or nearly three full
episodes of purely censored content.

All of these categories can find their legal roots in a regulatory
guideline that was enacted by China�s National Radio and Television
Administration, formerly known as the State Administration of Radio,
Film, and Television, in 2006.

TV series or movies should be edited if they have the following
content: (1) distorting Chinese and other countries� culture
and society; (2) defaming Chinese military forces, policemen,
and judiciary; (3) showcasing obscenity content, either visual
or verbal; (4) showcasing �excessive� images of murder,
violence, horror, interrogation, drug-taking, and even
gambling; (5) advertise negative and decadent values or
deliberately exaggerate the negative part of society; (6)
advocate religious extremism; (7) advocate environmental
destruction and animal torture; (8) excessively showcase
alcohol addiction, smoking, or other bad habits; (9)
demonstrate other illegal content.

Sex is the most frequently censored topic in this TV-14 show, meaning
that it is appropriate for audiences aged 14 and older, with 139 scenes
and 43.1 minutes removed. These could be considered �obscenity
content,� which is banned by China�s 2006 guideline.

Since China hasn�t built a video rating system, the removal of such
content is always justified by reasons involving children � children
shall be exposed to �main melody� so that they can grow up in a healthy
way. �Main melody� is an informal name for productions that fit into
patriotic or pro-Communist Party themes.

These next examples represent censored scenes about the LGBTQ+
community and atypical heterosexual relationships. Most instances are
related to homosexuality, even though there are no actual homosexual
couples in these episodes of The Big Bang Theory.

These removals reflect the government�s objective of encouraging
particular identities and behaviors by eliminating mentions of any
others. In this case, LGBTQIA2S+ identities are censored.

The last time a Chinese TV show could explicitly present a homosexual
relationship and publicize it on the internet was in 2016, after the
sensational show, Addicted, made regulators wary. It was pulled even
before it released all episodes. As one industry expert put it,
�studios don�t have much choice but to accept the result of being
delisted.�

Meanwhile, out of increasing concern for its slow population growth,
China has encouraged straight couples to marry and raise two to three
children. That�s a notable shift away from its strict, decades-long
one-child-only policy. The government expects the media to back these
efforts. A National People�s Congress representative even told a
state-owned newspaper that the media should avoid publishing any
articles that would discourage marriage and maternity and instead focus
on what is considered �happy family life.�

The following scenes can be categorized as disrespect. They are the
only removed scenes that make sense to me, because they involve racism
against Chinese people, stereotypes about Chinese society, and possible
defamation of China�s key Communist ally, North Korea.

Some scenes are also related to China, but the logic behind their
removal is harder to understand, as they seem really� harmless.

Meanwhile, some types of scenes that were removed from The Big Bang
Theory were allowed to remain in native productions.

For instance, in season two, episode 15 of The Big Bang Theory, a six-
second kissing scene was cut from the Youku version, while the
streaming platform allowed a 42-second kissing scene in the Chinese
drama Because of Love to air.

Penny and Leonard are kissing on a couch.
The Big Bang Theory: Season 2 Episode 15
A female character and a male character are kissing under the shower.
Because of Love: Episode 12
Similarly, a naked back in season three, episode 21 was cut while in a
show called Stealth Walker (2021) on Youku, the nude back remained.

Dr. Elizabeth Plimpton is taking off her pajamas.
The Big Bang Theory: Season 3 Episode 21
A woman with a naked back under shower.
Stealth Walker: Episode 1
Such unequal treatment is bizarre. According to the governmental
guidelines, imported productions have only one more forbidden content
category to consider than national ones � the imported productions must
not show anything that would do harm to minors� physical and mental
health. The remaining forbidden content types, including nudity,
violence, and promoting the negative parts of society, are the same for
national and imported productions.

As there are no legal roots, this may come down to self-policing by
Chinese companies, who actually make the cuts and seek official
approval before releasing the show. The self-policing can be rather
relaxed, but that may result in multiple rounds of months-long
scrutiny.

Here is where things get especially interesting � to avoid the rabbit
hole of scrutiny, streaming platforms may go overboard to censor
themselves to make sure a video can pass the national censorship
authority�s review on the very first try. And that often results in
inconsistency, even in a national show itself.

The TV show Marvelous Women streamed a very controversial scene last
year, in which a real cat dropped from a table and landed on the ground
on its back. It was meant to show a cat being poisoned, but after it
was aired, netizens suspected that the crew might have killed an actual
cat, instead of using CGI.

Missy is talking about putting down a dog due to illness.
The Big Bang Theory: Season 1 Episode 15
A cat drops to the ground after being poisoned.
Marvelous Women: Episode 32
The scene was removed after the resulting controversy. Notably, it was
not removed ahead of time through censorship. Meanwhile, a three-second
line was cut out of The Big Bang Theory because the character mentioned
the mercy killing of a dog.

These acts of censorship not only limit the impact of foreign-based
productions, they also help the Chinese government maintain control.
That is why Facebook and Twitter are banned in the country, as well as
Netflix, HBO, and others. The government wants to have final say on the
messages reaching the public.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: THE BIG [CENSORED] THEORY

<1676114387.683664249.057396.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=154959&group=rec.arts.tv#154959

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv,alt.censorship
Subject: Re: THE BIG [CENSORED] THEORY
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2022 12:01:05 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Wed, 31 Aug 2022 19:01 UTC

Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
> Growing up in China,

I had no idea you grew up in China

I had a blast watching American TV shows. They not
> only helped me learn English, but also introduced me to fresh
> perspectives and worldviews. The Big Bang Theory was among my
> favorites.
>
> I quickly became a fan of the sitcom when it was officially introduced
> in China on a video streaming website in 2011.

I had no idea you were still growing up 11 years ago

But when I rewatched the
> show in 2022 on Youku, a Chinese video streaming website backed by e-
> commerce giant Alibaba, I couldn’t help but notice weird jumps, pauses,
> and disconnected canned laughter. Here is an example:

So it’s like any other streaming experience

> What happened to the show?
>
> To understand that, we have to back up a bit. This change can be traced
> to a sudden political decision in 2014. According to the state-owned
> media outlet Xinhua, streaming platforms received a private
> notification from regulators to remind them of one key rule:
>
> “imported American and British TV shows must be ‘reviewed and approved
> by officials before streaming to the public.’”
>
> Shortly thereafter, The Big Bang Theory was among a handful of imported
> shows pulled from Chinese websites. Audiences were only left with a
> black screen and a line: “video has been removed due to policy
> reasons.”
>
> When these shows resurfaced, they were full of these weird jumps,
> signaling that scenes were removed during censorship because someone
> somewhere thought it would be inappropriate or illegal to stream such
> content.
>
> So the question has to be asked: what kind of content has been removed,
> and why?
>
> stacked bar chart of 100 episodes where no values are depicted yet
> SHELDEN: Well today we tried masturbating for money.
> SHELDON: Alright, let's see. Bernie Bunny has two daddies now. It's
> probably about homosexual rabbits.
> LEONARD: How about when you put GPS trackers in your garbage because
> you were convinced North Korean spies were stealing your doodles?
> Download data
>
> To find out, I compared 100 episodes of the original version of The Big
> Bang Theory with the edited Youku version to understand what was cut
> out and decipher the logic behind the decision.
>
> 77 of the first 100 episodes had at least one edit, amounting to 206
> removed scenes.
>
> I categorized these scenes, among which sex, LGBTQ+ (and atypical
> heterosexual relationships),

Who the hell on TBBT had typical heterosexual relationships?

as well as disrespect toward China or the
> country’s allies are the most common ones. The four other topics
> account for a rather small portion but are still worth mentioning:
> illegal actions, religion, unhealthy addictions, and miscellaneous.
>
> Most scenes are in the sex category, where characters mentioned sexual
> descriptions, body parts, and other relevant languages.

Sex is a relevant language?

> The LGBTQ+ category refers to any conversation that brings up
> relationships or physical intimacy that fall outside of a typical
> heterosexual coupling.

And again, who won TBBT had typical heterosexual couplings?

> [...]
> against Chinese people, stereotypes about Chinese society, and possible
> defamation of China’s key Communist ally, North Korea.
>
> Some scenes are also related to China, but the logic behind their
> removal is harder to understand, as they seem really… harmless.
>
> Meanwhile, some types of scenes that were removed from The Big Bang
> Theory were allowed to remain in native productions.
>
> For instance, in season two, episode 15 of The Big Bang Theory, a six-
> second kissing scene was cut from the Youku version, while the
> streaming platform allowed a 42-second kissing scene in the Chinese
> drama Because of Love to air.
>
> Penny and Leonard are kissing on a couch.
> The Big Bang Theory: Season 2 Episode 15
> A female character and a male character are kissing under the shower.
> Because of Love: Episode 12
> Similarly, a naked back in season three, episode 21 was cut

Ah, the infamous slasher episode

while in a
> show called Stealth Walker (2021) on Youku, the nude back remained.
>
> Dr. Elizabeth Plimpton is taking off her pajamas.
> The Big Bang Theory: Season 3 Episode 21
> A woman with a naked back under shower.
> Stealth Walker: Episode 1
> Such unequal treatment is bizarre. According to the governmental
> guidelines, imported productions have only one more forbidden content
> category to consider than national ones — the imported productions must
> not show anything that would do harm to minors’ physical and mental
> health. The remaining forbidden content types, including nudity,
> violence, and promoting the negative parts of society, are the same for
> national and imported productions.
>
> As there are no legal roots, this may come down to self-policing by
> Chinese companies, who actually make the cuts and seek official
> approval before releasing the show. The self-policing can be rather
> relaxed, but that may result in multiple rounds of months-long
> scrutiny.
>
> Here is where things get especially interesting — to avoid the rabbit
> hole of scrutiny, streaming platforms may go overboard to censor
> themselves to make sure a video can pass the national censorship
> authority’s review on the very first try. And that often results in
> inconsistency, even in a national show itself.
>
> The TV show Marvelous Women

Click here to read the complete article
Re: THE BIG [CENSORED] THEORY

<teoim1$m8a4$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=154985&group=rec.arts.tv#154985

From: suz...@imbris.com (suzeeq)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2022 14:09:20 -0700
 by: suzeeq - Wed, 31 Aug 2022 21:09 UTC

On 8/31/2022 12:01 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
>> Growing up in China,
>
> I had no idea you grew up in China

He didn't. He's reposting an online article that he doesn't give a link
for. He pulls this stuff all the time, you know that.

Re: THE BIG [CENSORED] THEORY

<tetimc$2jj6r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=155199&group=rec.arts.tv#155199

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2022 18:40:12 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Fri, 2 Sep 2022 18:40 UTC

suzeeq <suzee@imbris.com> wrote:
>On 8/31/2022 12:01 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>>Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:

>>>Growing up in China,

>>I had no idea you grew up in China

>He didn't. He's reposting an online article that he doesn't give a link
>for. He pulls this stuff all the time, you know that.

anim is trying to be nice to Ubi to get him to cut it out. It won't
work, of course, 'cuz Ubi knows best and is all plagarism all the time.