I'll never get off this planet. -- Luke Skywalker

arts / rec.music.classical.guitar / Re: Why Guitar is not taught in schools

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Why Guitar is not taught in schoolsMurdick
`* Re: Why Guitar is not taught in schoolsWollybird
 `* Re: Why Guitar is not taught in schoolsRichard Jernigan
  `- Re: Why Guitar is not taught in schoolsSteven Bornfeld

1
Re: Why Guitar is not taught in schools

<6e02c5d9-eda2-45c2-8d60-115f1203464dn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1196&group=rec.music.classical.guitar#1196

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.guitar
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2023 17:49:48 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Why Guitar is not taught in schools
From: rnjerni...@yahoo.com (Richard Jernigan)
 by: Richard Jernigan - Thu, 12 Jan 2023 01:49 UTC

On Thursday, December 16, 2021 at 2:59:35 PM UTC-6, Wollybird wrote:
> On Thursday, December 16, 2021 at 10:42:55 AM UTC-6, Murdick wrote:

> > > That's interesting. How do you know this about the decline in guitar
> > > sales? NAMM data?
> > > Have you checked with Strunal Inc? I can usually get the worldwide
> > > scoop from them.
> > > Our teachers had a banner year last year. Generated about 900 new
> > > students and over $1,000,000 in tutiions. I still think there are
> > > about twelve million potential guitar students in the US.
> > > If its saturated, I'm in big trouble.
> > > Kevin T.
> > The guitar band in pop music is pretty much disappearing. Performing pop bands these days have more variety in their instrumentation, but they almost always have at least one guitar. The cost of all kinds of guitars has held up pretty well it seems.
> My guess is there are about 3 boatloads of Chinese guitars off the coast of California right now. I tried to order a baritone guitar in september, they told me it wouldn't show up until January

There are more than 4,000 students in Austin Classical Guitar's curriculum in Austin alone. There are many more in programs around the USA, and in countries as remote as Nepal.
https://www.austinclassicalguitar.org/spring-2022-education-report/

RNJ

Re: Why Guitar is not taught in schools

<tpsfft$1uiq$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1197&group=rec.music.classical.guitar#1197

From: dentalt...@earthlink.net (Steven Bornfeld)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.guitar
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2023 15:38:21 -0500
 by: Steven Bornfeld - Fri, 13 Jan 2023 20:38 UTC

On 1/11/2023 8:49 PM, Richard Jernigan wrote:
> On Thursday, December 16, 2021 at 2:59:35 PM UTC-6, Wollybird wrote:

>>> The guitar band in pop music is pretty much disappearing. Performing pop bands these days have more variety in their instrumentation, but they almost always have at least one guitar. The cost of all kinds of guitars has held up pretty well it seems.
>> My guess is there are about 3 boatloads of Chinese guitars off the coast of California right now. I tried to order a baritone guitar in september, they told me it wouldn't show up until January
>
> There are more than 4,000 students in Austin Classical Guitar's curriculum in Austin alone. There are many more in programs around the USA, and in countries as remote as Nepal.
> https://www.austinclassicalguitar.org/spring-2022-education-report/
>
> RNJ

That's fantastic! Hope you are well, Richard!
Happy New Year!

Re: Why Guitar is not taught in schools

<2bdba57b-8063-4a0c-acf5-4726114a831en@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1550&group=rec.music.classical.guitar#1550

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.guitar
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2021 08:42:54 -0800 (PST)
From: lutem...@aol.com (Murdick)
 by: Murdick - Thu, 16 Dec 2021 16:42 UTC

On Thursday, March 27, 2008 at 11:05:02 PM UTC-5, ktaylor wrote:
> Lare wrote:
> >
> > More problematical for us is that domestic introductory grade guitar sales
> > are way, way down. I've heard whispers that sales are off as much as 40% in
> > 3 years. These figures include not only traditional guitar shops, but the
> > big box sellers like Sam's Club and Costco as well. This could mean that
> > many fewer kids are starting guitar and/or that the U.S. guitar market is
> > saturated.
> >
> > Larry McDonald
> That's interesting. How do you know this about the decline in guitar
> sales? NAMM data?
> Have you checked with Strunal Inc? I can usually get the worldwide
> scoop from them.
> Our teachers had a banner year last year. Generated about 900 new
> students and over $1,000,000 in tutiions. I still think there are
> about twelve million potential guitar students in the US.
> If its saturated, I'm in big trouble.
> Kevin T.

The guitar band in pop music is pretty much disappearing. Performing pop bands these days have more variety in their instrumentation, but they almost always have at least one guitar. The cost of all kinds of guitars has held up pretty well it seems.

Re: Why Guitar is not taught in schools

<52835728-ee95-4716-b643-2ed45c06cbf3n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1551&group=rec.music.classical.guitar#1551

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.guitar
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2021 12:59:33 -0800 (PST)
From: a.robins...@gmail.com (Wollybird)
 by: Wollybird - Thu, 16 Dec 2021 20:59 UTC