From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: [OT] Taxpayers to begin paying for security for city councillors
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2022 07:28:02 -0400
 by: Rhino - Fri, 2 Sep 2022 11:28 UTC

Well, that didn't take long. Just a few days ago, Deputy Prime Minister
Crystia Freeland was verbally abused by a guy as she was trying to get
onto an elevator and city councillors in Waterloo, Ontario (where I went
to University) have said they will soon begin spending tax money on
security measures for city councillors.

https://www.therecord.com/news/waterloo-region/2022/09/01/taxpayers-may-soon-cover-costs-for-home-security-for-waterloo-councillors.html?utm_source=newsshowcase&utm_medium=gnews&utm_campaign=CDAQxI7RlODVtKdfGLKu0p2krN_soAEqKggAIhBriWXVqfRMsz5FP7fbvPidKhQICiIQa4ll1an0TLM-RT-327z4nQ&utm_content=rundown

The city government hasn't asked taxpayers for consent for any of this
expenditure, they've just decided to do it. They claim people are
increasingly angry and it's just not fair so they are going to start by
giving councillors an allowance (the amount is unstated) for security
cameras on their homes. They've also stopped publishing documents that
show the councillors home addresses, documents that used to be public
information. I'll be surprised if it ends there though. As they get more
and more paranoid about the level of anger in the populace, they'll
rationalize raising that security allowance again and again until
they're all riding in armoured limos with 24 hr armed bodyguards.

Not one of them seems to have asked themselves WHY people are angry or
if the councillors themselves and the system in which they operate has
anything to do with it.

--
Rhino

Re: [OT] Taxpayers to begin paying for security for city councillors

<tet2lf$2hrst$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=155165&group=rec.arts.tv#155165

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2022 14:06:39 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Fri, 2 Sep 2022 14:06 UTC

>. . .

>They've also stopped publishing documents that show the councillors home
>addresses, documents that used to be public information. . . .

That's STILL public information. If a politician represents a specific
constituency or municipality or is elected province-wide, as part of the
qualification to run for public office, he has to be a resident of the
area of geography required in law.

At the very least, all documents that were filed the last time he ran
for public office that included his home address must remain public. All
ethics disclosure forms with his home address and campaign finance
disclosure forms must remain public.

I don't see that a municipality or other unit of government must publish
names and home addresses on other documents but they can't redact any
documents that require disclosure of the home address.

Even voting rolls are public information and that should cover most
adults.