A conclusion is simply the place where someone got tired of thinking.

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: Did Elizabeth meet 13 or 14 presidents?

SubjectAuthor
* Did Elizabeth meet 13 or 14 presidents?Adam H. Kerman
+* Re: Did Elizabeth meet 13 or 14 presidents?Rhino
|`* Re: Did Elizabeth meet 13 or 14 presidents?anim8rfsk
| `- Re: Did Elizabeth meet 13 or 14 presidents?Rhino
`* Re: Did Elizabeth meet 13 or 14 presidents?anim8rfsk
 `* Re: Did Elizabeth meet 13 or 14 presidents?Adam H. Kerman
  `- Re: Did Elizabeth meet 13 or 14 presidents?anim8rfsk

1
Did Elizabeth meet 13 or 14 presidents?

<tfi5ht$1env6$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=156184&group=rec.arts.tv#156184

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Did Elizabeth meet 13 or 14 presidents?
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2022 14:04:45 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sat, 10 Sep 2022 14:04 UTC

News reports of Elizabeth's interactions with US presidents have been
confusing. I've heard 13 meetings and 14 meetings.

Here's the answer. As a princess, she had visited the United States and
was greeted by Truman. She then met every US president -- the US visits
were to Republican presidents and the UK visits were by Democratic
presidents -- with the exception of Johnson.

That's the difference between 13 and 14.

Re: Did Elizabeth meet 13 or 14 presidents?

<tfiau4$1gcat$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=156191&group=rec.arts.tv#156191

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: Did Elizabeth meet 13 or 14 presidents?
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2022 11:36:34 -0400
 by: Rhino - Sat, 10 Sep 2022 15:36 UTC

On 2022-09-10 10:04 AM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> News reports of Elizabeth's interactions with US presidents have been
> confusing. I've heard 13 meetings and 14 meetings.
>
> Here's the answer. As a princess, she had visited the United States and
> was greeted by Truman. She then met every US president -- the US visits
> were to Republican presidents and the UK visits were by Democratic
> presidents -- with the exception of Johnson.
>
> That's the difference between 13 and 14.

I've always felt she would be a very interesting person to talk to just
to hear her thoughts on the things she'd seen and the people she met,
both as queen and in her years as a princess. She surely must have
encountered Churchill during the war, and surely met him as Queen when
he became PM again from 1951-1954. She must have met most of our
Canadian PMs as well, at least the ones who weren't "caretaker" PMs like
Kim Campbell and John Turner, and any number of leaders from the
Commonwealth. Even just hearing her personal views on the advent of new
technologies and the evolution of social values would be very
interesting. But, of course, such a conversation would have been
extremely unlikely given our very different "stations in life".

I've long believed that everyone on earth has witnessed interesting and
important things, especially those who were older and saw things that
predated my birth. But even younger people from unfamiliar places can
offer interesting perspectives. For instance, I had a short conversation
the other day with one of our other drivers and discovered he was from
Haiti and still had family back there. He had recently been back for a
visit and it sounded pretty hellish.

--
Rhino

Re: Did Elizabeth meet 13 or 14 presidents?

<1737100513.684522449.611341.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=156197&group=rec.arts.tv#156197

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2022 10:18:14 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sat, 10 Sep 2022 17:18 UTC

Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
> News reports of Elizabeth's interactions with US presidents have been
> confusing. I've heard 13 meetings and 14 meetings.
>
> Here's the answer. As a princess, she had visited the United States and
> was greeted by Truman. She then met every US president -- the US visits
> were to Republican presidents and the UK visits were by Democratic
> presidents -- with the exception of Johnson.
>
> That's the difference between 13 and 14.

Did she not meet Johnson or did he make her come here to meet him?

Re: Did Elizabeth meet 13 or 14 presidents?

<408141026.684522590.524950.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=156198&group=rec.arts.tv#156198

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2022 10:18:15 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sat, 10 Sep 2022 17:18 UTC

> On 2022-09-10 10:04 AM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
>> News reports of Elizabeth's interactions with US presidents have been
>> confusing. I've heard 13 meetings and 14 meetings.
>>
>> Here's the answer. As a princess, she had visited the United States and
>> was greeted by Truman. She then met every US president -- the US visits
>> were to Republican presidents and the UK visits were by Democratic
>> presidents -- with the exception of Johnson.
>>
>> That's the difference between 13 and 14.
>
> I've always felt she would be a very interesting person to talk to just
> to hear her thoughts on the things she'd seen and the people she met,
> both as queen and in her years as a princess. She surely must have
> encountered Churchill during the war, and surely met him as Queen when
> he became PM again from 1951-1954. She must have met most of our
> Canadian PMs as well, at least the ones who weren't "caretaker" PMs like
> Kim Campbell and John Turner, and any number of leaders from the
> Commonwealth. Even just hearing her personal views on the advent of new
> technologies and the evolution of social values would be very
> interesting. But, of course, such a conversation would have been
> extremely unlikely given our very different "stations in life".
>
> I've long believed that everyone on earth has witnessed interesting and
> important things, especially those who were older and saw things that
> predated my birth. But even younger people from unfamiliar places can
> offer interesting perspectives. For instance, I had a short conversation
> the other day with one of our other drivers and discovered he was from
> Haiti and still had family back there. He had recently been back for a
> visit and it sounded pretty hellish.

There’s probably half a billion people in India that have never seen
anything more than the mud they beat with sticks. It’s sort of hard to make
that sound interesting or important.

Similar notation for China.

Or for that matter Colorado city.

Re: Did Elizabeth meet 13 or 14 presidents?

<tfj7mp$1mell$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=156214&group=rec.arts.tv#156214

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2022 23:47:38 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sat, 10 Sep 2022 23:47 UTC

anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

>>News reports of Elizabeth's interactions with US presidents have been
>>confusing. I've heard 13 meetings and 14 meetings.

>>Here's the answer. As a princess, she had visited the United States and
>>was greeted by Truman. She then met every US president -- the US visits
>>were to Republican presidents and the UK visits were by Democratic
>>presidents -- with the exception of Johnson.

>>That's the difference between 13 and 14.

>Did she not meet Johnson or did he make her come here to meet him?

The news report said that while Johnson was president, he didn't make a
state visit to London. For whatever reason, her state visits to
Washington as queen (ignoring that she met Truman as a princess) were
only during Republican administrations.

Re: Did Elizabeth meet 13 or 14 presidents?

<tfjc2a$1n0vo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=156221&group=rec.arts.tv#156221

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2022 21:01:59 -0400
 by: Rhino - Sun, 11 Sep 2022 01:01 UTC

On 2022-09-10 1:18 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> Rhino <no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:
>> On 2022-09-10 10:04 AM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
>>> News reports of Elizabeth's interactions with US presidents have been
>>> confusing. I've heard 13 meetings and 14 meetings.
>>>
>>> Here's the answer. As a princess, she had visited the United States and
>>> was greeted by Truman. She then met every US president -- the US visits
>>> were to Republican presidents and the UK visits were by Democratic
>>> presidents -- with the exception of Johnson.
>>>
>>> That's the difference between 13 and 14.
>>
>> I've always felt she would be a very interesting person to talk to just
>> to hear her thoughts on the things she'd seen and the people she met,
>> both as queen and in her years as a princess. She surely must have
>> encountered Churchill during the war, and surely met him as Queen when
>> he became PM again from 1951-1954. She must have met most of our
>> Canadian PMs as well, at least the ones who weren't "caretaker" PMs like
>> Kim Campbell and John Turner, and any number of leaders from the
>> Commonwealth. Even just hearing her personal views on the advent of new
>> technologies and the evolution of social values would be very
>> interesting. But, of course, such a conversation would have been
>> extremely unlikely given our very different "stations in life".
>>
>> I've long believed that everyone on earth has witnessed interesting and
>> important things, especially those who were older and saw things that
>> predated my birth. But even younger people from unfamiliar places can
>> offer interesting perspectives. For instance, I had a short conversation
>> the other day with one of our other drivers and discovered he was from
>> Haiti and still had family back there. He had recently been back for a
>> visit and it sounded pretty hellish.
>>

> There’s probably half a billion people in India that have never seen
> anything more than the mud they beat with sticks. It’s sort of hard to make
> that sound interesting or important.
>
> Similar notation for China.
>
> Or for that matter Colorado city.

I won't argue that. I'm sure there would be a certain sameness about
many of the stories if you talk to enough people with a similar
background or very limited life experience because they'd never been
anywhere or seen anything very interesting.

--
Rhino

Re: Did Elizabeth meet 13 or 14 presidents?

<400914646.684557012.795675.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=156248&group=rec.arts.tv#156248

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2022 20:46:22 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sun, 11 Sep 2022 03:46 UTC

Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>> Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
>
>>> News reports of Elizabeth's interactions with US presidents have been
>>> confusing. I've heard 13 meetings and 14 meetings.
>
>>> Here's the answer. As a princess, she had visited the United States and
>>> was greeted by Truman. She then met every US president -- the US visits
>>> were to Republican presidents and the UK visits were by Democratic
>>> presidents -- with the exception of Johnson.
>
>>> That's the difference between 13 and 14.
>
>> Did she not meet Johnson or did he make her come here to meet him?
>
> The news report said that while Johnson was president, he didn't make a
> state visit to London. For whatever reason, her state visits to
> Washington as queen (ignoring that she met Truman as a princess) were
> only during Republican administrations.

Thanks