From: lucre...@florence.it
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv.uk.coronation-st
Subject: Stalker laws
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2023 20:11:58 -0300
 by: lucre...@florence.it - Thu, 6 Apr 2023 23:11 UTC

We've just seen the episode where Stalker Justin let himself in the
back door and Daisy was trapped until Daniel came home. What
surprised us was that Craig said that since the door was not locked,
there wasn't much the police could do.

Are the stalker laws that lax in England? I was surprised when she
first went to the police that nothing happened.

Re: Stalker laws

<k9a3urFan0qU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1559&group=rec.arts.tv.uk.coronation-st#1559

From: littleli...@hotmail.com (kat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv.uk.coronation-st
Subject: Re: Stalker laws
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2023 09:52:44 +0100
 by: kat - Fri, 7 Apr 2023 08:52 UTC

On 07/04/2023 00:11, lucretia@florence.it wrote:

> We've just seen the episode where Stalker Justin let himself in the
> back door and Daisy was trapped until Daniel came home. What
> surprised us was that Craig said that since the door was not locked,
> there wasn't much the police could do.
>
> Are the stalker laws that lax in England? I was surprised when she
> first went to the police that nothing happened.

What are the three elements of stalking UK?
(e) loitering in any place (whether public or private), (f) interfering with any
property in the possession of a person, (g) watching or spying on a person.
Harassment that includes one or more of the above features is not automatically
stalking.

So, so far he hasn't done all three.

Entry, without force, through the unlocked door, is trespass and trespass isn't
criminal unless "aggravated", but a civil case. So, no, there was nothing Craig
could do.

It isn't so much though that the law is lax, but the application, as the need to
prove his behaviour had to come first, and then you have the usual misogynistic
behaviour of the police which is to be expected in any such story.

Have you seen the court case for an injunction?
--
kat
>^..^<

Re: Stalker laws

<0fuv2il89piidid12b89s77ne9tkpd9i4q@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1560&group=rec.arts.tv.uk.coronation-st#1560

From: lucre...@florence.it
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv.uk.coronation-st
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2023 08:13:34 -0300
 by: lucre...@florence.it - Fri, 7 Apr 2023 11:13 UTC

On Fri, 7 Apr 2023 09:52:44 +0100, kat <littlelionne@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>On 07/04/2023 00:11, lucretia@florence.it wrote:
>>
>> We've just seen the episode where Stalker Justin let himself in the
>> back door and Daisy was trapped until Daniel came home. What
>> surprised us was that Craig said that since the door was not locked,
>> there wasn't much the police could do.
>>
>> Are the stalker laws that lax in England? I was surprised when she
>> first went to the police that nothing happened.
>

>What are the three elements of stalking UK?
>(e) loitering in any place (whether public or private), (f) interfering with any
>property in the possession of a person, (g) watching or spying on a person.
>Harassment that includes one or more of the above features is not automatically
>stalking.
>
>So, so far he hasn't done all three.
>
>Entry, without force, through the unlocked door, is trespass and trespass isn't
>criminal unless "aggravated", but a civil case. So, no, there was nothing Craig
>could do.
>
>It isn't so much though that the law is lax, but the application, as the need to
>prove his behaviour had to come first, and then you have the usual misogynistic
>behaviour of the police which is to be expected in any such story.
>
>Have you seen the court case for an injunction?

Daniel referred to it as 'tomorrow' so I guess it's in the next
episode which I will watch sometime today. I am a further episode
behind as I have the paid subscription to CBC, purely in order that
when I view Corrie I can see it without all the ads interrupting :)

I have been hearing on Radio 4 all the scandal with the real police so
I suspect this is Corrie having a go at it :)

Re: Stalker laws

<k9b8daFg8a4U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1561&group=rec.arts.tv.uk.coronation-st#1561

From: littleli...@hotmail.com (kat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv.uk.coronation-st
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2023 20:14:50 +0100
 by: kat - Fri, 7 Apr 2023 19:14 UTC

On 07/04/2023 12:13, lucretia@florence.it wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Apr 2023 09:52:44 +0100, kat <littlelionne@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 07/04/2023 00:11, lucretia@florence.it wrote:
>>>
>>> We've just seen the episode where Stalker Justin let himself in the
>>> back door and Daisy was trapped until Daniel came home. What
>>> surprised us was that Craig said that since the door was not locked,
>>> there wasn't much the police could do.
>>>
>>> Are the stalker laws that lax in England? I was surprised when she
>>> first went to the police that nothing happened.
>>

>> What are the three elements of stalking UK?
>> (e) loitering in any place (whether public or private), (f) interfering with any
>> property in the possession of a person, (g) watching or spying on a person.
>> Harassment that includes one or more of the above features is not automatically
>> stalking.
>>
>> So, so far he hasn't done all three.
>>
>> Entry, without force, through the unlocked door, is trespass and trespass isn't
>> criminal unless "aggravated", but a civil case. So, no, there was nothing Craig
>> could do.
>>
>> It isn't so much though that the law is lax, but the application, as the need to
>> prove his behaviour had to come first, and then you have the usual misogynistic
>> behaviour of the police which is to be expected in any such story.
>>
>> Have you seen the court case for an injunction?
>
> Daniel referred to it as 'tomorrow' so I guess it's in the next
> episode which I will watch sometime today. I am a further episode
> behind as I have the paid subscription to CBC, purely in order that
> when I view Corrie I can see it without all the ads interrupting :)
>
> I have been hearing on Radio 4 all the scandal with the real police so
> I suspect this is Corrie having a go at it :)

I am glad I didn't tell you what happened next then!

--
kat
>^..^<

Re: Stalker laws

<20230413-024715.394.0@Calvin-Henry-Cotnam.news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1562&group=rec.arts.tv.uk.coronation-st#1562

From: cal...@remove.daxack.ca (Calvin Henry-Cotnam)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv.uk.coronation-st
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2023 22:47:15 -0400
 by: Calvin Henry-Cotnam - Thu, 13 Apr 2023 02:47 UTC

kat (littlelionne@hotmail.com) said...
>What are the three elements of stalking UK?
>(e) loitering in any place (whether public or private), (f) interfering
>with any property in the possession of a person, (g) watching or spying
>on a person.
>Harassment that includes one or more of the above features is not
>automatically stalking.

As this was all playing out, it occurred to me that since the police had
pretty spelled out what was not criminal, because they could do nothing
about it, that if it happened to myself or someone I knew, that I would
take the "fight fire with fire approach".

That is, stalk him back with more intensity, being careful to not cross
the line.

Of course, that probably wouldn't make for a good soap opera plot.
Instead, the only fight back action taken is to step over the line and
we all know how that factored into the result.

--
Calvin Henry-Cotnam
"Unusual or extreme reactions to events caused by negligence

Re: Stalker laws

<k9q2s0Fog5qU7@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1563&group=rec.arts.tv.uk.coronation-st#1563

From: littleli...@hotmail.com (kat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv.uk.coronation-st
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2023 11:12:17 +0100
 by: kat - Thu, 13 Apr 2023 10:12 UTC

On 13/04/2023 03:47, Calvin Henry-Cotnam wrote:
> kat (littlelionne@hotmail.com) said...
>> What are the three elements of stalking UK?
>> (e) loitering in any place (whether public or private), (f) interfering
>> with any property in the possession of a person, (g) watching or spying
>> on a person.
>> Harassment that includes one or more of the above features is not
>> automatically stalking.
>
> As this was all playing out, it occurred to me that since the police had
> pretty spelled out what was not criminal, because they could do nothing
> about it, that if it happened to myself or someone I knew, that I would
> take the "fight fire with fire approach".
>
> That is, stalk him back with more intensity, being careful to not cross
> the line.
>
> Of course, that probably wouldn't make for a good soap opera plot.
> Instead, the only fight back action taken is to step over the line and
> we all know how that factored into the result.

Well we know Daisy tried the legal approach, we know what else she tried, we
know as you say how all that played out, and what happened next. And, a little
bit of what is going to happen next week. None of it is good.

I don't think Daisy was up to stalking back, but perhaps Daniel should have
tried that.

--
kat