Newsgroups: rec.arts.books.childrens
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2022 13:38:53 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: R.I.P. Betty Levin, 94 (fantasy/mystery/adventure writer)
From: lenona...@yahoo.com (Lenona)
 by: Lenona - Tue, 27 Sep 2022 20:38 UTC

She lived in Lincoln, Massachusetts.

(Lincoln is sometimes described as a "suburb of Boston." Not quite accurate, IMO. After all, when you think of suburbia, chances are you don't think of lush meadows, woods, ponds, big lovely houses that are two centuries old and older, farms, horses, and sheep.)

https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/name/betty-levin-obituary?id=36131778
(includes photo)

Betty Levin, author of children's books, professor of children's literature, and a breeder of Border Collies and sheep, died peacefully on July 4, 2022 at the age of 94, in Lincoln, MA.

The youngest of three children, Betty was born September 10, 1927, in New York City to Max and Eleanor Lowenthal. Max Lowenthal, an attorney, served the Hoover, Roosevelt and Truman administrations. Eleanor Lowenthal was involved in WWII refugee resettlement and music education initiatives.

Betty attended the National Cathedral School in Washington, D.C., and graduated from Horace Mann-Lincoln School in 1945. She received her BA from University of Rochester in 1949 where she met Alvin Levin, of Rochester, New York. They married in 1947. Betty received an MA from Harvard University's School of Education in 1951, while Alvin graduated from Harvard Law School. They settled in Lincoln, Massachusetts In 1953.

Betty and Alvin shared a deep commitment to many social justice and political causes. They were very active in the Civil Rights movement, the Anti-Vietnam war movement, worked for fair housing and environmental causes and on Massachusetts and national political campaigns.
At home in Lincoln, Betty established a sheep farm, breeding Border Leicester and Scottish Blackface sheep, and Border Collies. She was a founding member of the
New England Border Collie Association (NEBCA), and participated in regional sheepdog trials in the Eastern United States and Canada.

She was a 1968-70 Fellow in Creative Writing at the Bunting Institute of Radcliffe College (the Radcliffe Institute). She became a faculty member at the Center for the Study of Children's
Literature at Simmons College and helped found the nonprofit Children's Literature New England (CLNE).

Betty wrote a number of young adult books over a forty-year period. Her writing career was launched in 1973 with the double publication of The Zoo Conspiracy and The Sword of Culann. These books reflected her interest in both the animal kingdom and in Celtic history and mythic fantasy. Her last work, A Realm of Their Own, presented an affectionate history of significant 19th and early 20th century children's books and their impact. Her awards include the Judy Lopez Memorial Award in 1989 for The Trouble with Gramary and the Hope Sweetser Dean Award.
Betty Levin is predeceased by her husband Alvin (1987), her daughter Jennifer (2016), and her brothers John and David Lowenthal. She is survived by her daughters, Katherine Levin of Scituate and Bara Levin of Boston, and many beloved nieces and nephews...

(snip)

What I posted in 2017, on her birthday:

From Contemporary Authors:

"Betty Levin transcends time in her young adult novels, often
transporting contemporary teens into the past to encounter historical
events and at other times weaving elements of myth and fantasy into
her novels. Among the real settings Levin employs in her stories are
modern-day Maine in The Trouble with Gramary, ancient Ireland in The
Sword of Culann, and the Orkney Islands in The Forespoken. Within
these settings, her characters often unravel mysteries and reach a
higher level of maturity. 'Levin is not an easy writer,' stated Adele
M. Fasick in Twentieth-Century Children's Writers, but 'readers who
are willing to immerse themselves in the strange settings and to
struggle to understand the significance of mysterious events will find
themselves embarking on an enriching experience.'

https://www.boydsmillspress.com/bmp/authors-illustrators/betty-levin
(includes photo)

https://www.google.com/search?tbo=p&tbm=bks&q=inauthor:%22Betty+Levin%22
(synopses)

https://www.kirkusreviews.com/search/?q=Betty%20Levin;t=author
(Kirkus reviews)

https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/593685.Betty_Levin
(reader reviews and brief bio)

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/l/betty-levin/
(book covers)

https://www.harpercollins.com/cr-110356/betty-levin
(short interview)

Excerpt:

"Of course there is always one child who asks how it feels to be
famous and to be recognized in supermarkets. I explain that the only
people who recognize me are those who have seen me working my sheep
dogs or selling my wool at sheep fairs. That response often prompts
another query: Why write books if they don't make you rich and famous?
I usually toss that question back at the children. Why do they invent
stories? How does story writing make them feel?"

AWARDS:

"Judy Lopez Memorial Award, 1989, for The Trouble with Gramary; Best Book for Young Adults citation, American Library Association, 1990, for Brother Moose; New York Public Library Books for the Teen Age list, 1993, for Mercy's Mill; Parents' Choice Story Book Award, 1994, for Away to Me, Moss!"

WORKS:

FOR YOUNG PEOPLE; NOVELS
The Zoo Conspiracy, illustrated by Marian Parry, Hastings House, 1973.
The Sword of Culann, Macmillan (New York, NY), 1973.
A Griffon's Nest (sequel to The Sword of Culann), Macmillan (New York, NY), 1975.
The Forespoken (sequel to A Griffon's Nest), Macmillan (New York, NY), 1976..
Landfall, Atheneum (New York, NY), 1979.

The Beast on the Brink, illustrated by Marian Parry, Avon (New York, NY), 1980.
The Keeping-room, Greenwillow (New York, NY), 1981.
A Binding Spell, Lodestar/Dutton (New York, NY), 1984.
Put on My Crown, Lodestar/Dutton (New York, NY), 1985.
The Ice Bear, Greenwillow (New York, NY), 1986.
The Trouble with Gramary, Greenwillow (New York, NY), 1988.

Brother Moose, Greenwillow (New York, NY), 1990.
Mercy's Mill, Greenwillow (New York, NY), 1992.
Starshine and Sunglow, illustrated by Joseph A. Smith, Greenwillow (New York, NY), 1994.
Away to Me, Moss!, Greenwillow (New York, NY), 1994.
Fire in the Wind, Greenwillow (New York, NY), 1995.
Gift Horse, Greenwillow (New York, NY), 1996.
Island Bound, Greenwillow (New York, NY), 1997.
Look Back, Moss, HarperCollins (New York, NY), 1998.
The Banished, HarperCollins (New York, NY), 1999.
Creature Crossing, HarperCollins (New York, NY), 1999.

Shadow-catcher, HarperCollins (New York, NY), 2000.
That'll Do, Moss, HarperCollins (New York, NY), 2002.
Shoddy Cove, Greenwillow Books (New York, NY), 2003.
Thorn, Front Street Books (Asheville, NC), 2005.
The Unmaking of Duncan Veerick, Front Street Books (Asheville, NC), 2007.

The Forbidden Land, 2010.