"... all the modern inconveniences ..." -- Mark Twain

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: Dispatches from Clown World: The Environmental Cost of Those Windmills

SubjectAuthor
* Dispatches from Clown World: The Environmental Cost of Those WindmillsBTR1701
+* Re: Dispatches from Clown World: The Environmental Cost of Those WindmillsAdam H. Kerman
|+* Re: Dispatches from Clown World: The Environmental Cost of Those Windmillsshawn
||+* Re: Dispatches from Clown World: The Environmental Cost of Those WindmillsAdam H. Kerman
|||`- Re: Dispatches from Clown World: The Environmental Cost of Those Windmillsshawn
||`* Re: Dispatches from Clown World: The Environmental Cost of Those WindmillsBTR1701
|| +* Re: Dispatches from Clown World: The Environmental Cost of Those Windmillsshawn
|| |+* Re: Dispatches from Clown World: The Environmental Cost of Those Windmillsshawn
|| |+- Re: Dispatches from Clown World: The Environmental Cost ofanim8rfsk
|| |`- Re: Dispatches from Clown World: The Environmental Cost of Those WindmillsYour Name
|| +- Re: Dispatches from Clown World: The Environmental Cost ofanim8rfsk
|| `- Re: Dispatches from Clown World: The Environmental Cost of Thosetrotsky
|`* Re: Dispatches from Clown World: The Environmental Cost of ThoseRhino
| +* Re: Dispatches from Clown World: The Environmental Cost of Those Windmillsdanny burstein
| |`- Re: Dispatches from Clown World: The Environmental Cost of Those WindmillsAdam H. Kerman
| +* Re: Dispatches from Clown World: The Environmental Cost of ThoseAdam H. Kerman
| |`* Re: Dispatches from Clown World: The Environmental Cost of Those WindmillsThe Horny Goat
| | `* Re: Dispatches from Clown World: The Environmental Cost of Those WindmillsAdam H. Kerman
| |  `- Re: Dispatches from Clown World: The Environmental Cost of Those WindmillsThe Horny Goat
| `- Re: Dispatches from Clown World: The Environmental Cost of Those WindmillsThe Horny Goat
+- Re: Dispatches from Clown World: The Environmental Cost of Thosetrotsky
+- Re: Dispatches from Clown World: The Environmental Cost of Thosetrotsky
`- Re: Dispatches from Clown World: The Environmental Cost of Thosetrotsky

Pages:12
Re: Dispatches from Clown World: The Environmental Cost of Those Windmills

<tflh5e$21a41$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=156357&group=rec.arts.tv#156357

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: Dispatches from Clown World: The Environmental Cost of Those
Windmills
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2022 20:41:18 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sun, 11 Sep 2022 20:41 UTC

Roger Blake <rogblake@iname.invalid> wrote:

>. . .

>I will do nothing to reduce my so-called "carbon footprint," not
>even give up incandescant light bulbs in favor of LEDs.

Where are you buying incandescent light bulbs from? I haven't seen any
in stock in over a year, with the exception of some fancy ones I buy for
a reproduction exterior lamp.

Re: Dispatches from Clown World: The Environmental Cost of Those Windmills

<110920221747385732%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=156366&group=rec.arts.tv#156366

Subject: Re: Dispatches from Clown World: The Environmental Cost of Those Windmills
From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2022 17:47:38 -0400
 by: A Friend - Sun, 11 Sep 2022 21:47 UTC

In article <4bhshh1kimt5i8b2cdcfmj3jsomodek6b0@4ax.com>, The Horny Goat
<lcraver@home.ca> wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Sep 2022 20:00:15 -0000 (UTC), Roger Blake
> <rogblake@iname.invalid> wrote:
>
> >Fuels, whether derived from corn or oil refineries, are not damaging
> >the climate. "Climate change" is a result of the forces of nature at
> >work. Thinking we can take control of the earth's climate with this
> >kind of nonsense is like trying to stop a hurricane by farting into
> >the wind. CO2 is not pollution. Ask any plant.
> >
> >I will do nothing to reduce my so-called "carbon footprint," not
> >even give up incandescant light bulbs in favor of LEDs.
> >
> I rather like the LEDs because they typically last longer and consume
> less power while giving light at least as good. The fact that they are
> allegedly a smaller "footprint" to me is incidental.

We have a fair number of recessed ceiling lights in our kitchen and
upstairs. Not having to use a stepladder to change an Edison bulb
every few months is a godsend.

Re: Dispatches from Clown World: The Environmental Cost of Those Windmills

<tfnoj7$29vms$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=156474&group=rec.arts.tv#156474

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 17:00:23 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 17:00 UTC

A Friend wrote:
>The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca> wrote:
>>Sun, 11 Sep 2022 20:00:15 -0000 (UTC), Roger Blake <rogblake@iname.invalid>:

>>>Fuels, whether derived from corn or oil refineries, are not damaging
>>>the climate. "Climate change" is a result of the forces of nature at
>>>work. Thinking we can take control of the earth's climate with this
>>>kind of nonsense is like trying to stop a hurricane by farting into
>>>the wind. CO2 is not pollution. Ask any plant.

>>>I will do nothing to reduce my so-called "carbon footprint," not
>>>even give up incandescant light bulbs in favor of LEDs.

>>I rather like the LEDs because they typically last longer and consume
>>less power while giving light at least as good. The fact that they are
>>allegedly a smaller "footprint" to me is incidental.

>We have a fair number of recessed ceiling lights in our kitchen and
>upstairs. Not having to use a stepladder to change an Edison bulb
>every few months is a godsend.

Yeah. It's too bad that over a century ago, no one had invented a tool
with a long handle available at any lighting or electrical supply or
janitorial supply store that's used to change spotlights or the
reflector lights in recessed canister fixtures you have that saves the
trouble of carrying a ladder from place to place.

Re: Dispatches from Clown World: The Environmental Cost of Those Windmills

<120920221502442550%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=156499&group=rec.arts.tv#156499

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 15:02:44 -0400
 by: A Friend - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 19:02 UTC

In article <tfnoj7$29vms$3@dont-email.me>, Adam H. Kerman
<ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

> A Friend wrote:
> >The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca> wrote:

> >>I rather like the LEDs because they typically last longer and consume
> >>less power while giving light at least as good. The fact that they are
> >>allegedly a smaller "footprint" to me is incidental.
>
> >We have a fair number of recessed ceiling lights in our kitchen and
> >upstairs. Not having to use a stepladder to change an Edison bulb
> >every few months is a godsend.
>
> Yeah. It's too bad that over a century ago, no one had invented a tool
> with a long handle available at any lighting or electrical supply or
> janitorial supply store that's used to change spotlights or the
> reflector lights in recessed canister fixtures you have that saves the
> trouble of carrying a ladder from place to place.

I know you're trying really hard to be a smartass, but the
extension-tool thing didn't work for us due to the rather odd
construction of the receptacle. Do you think I *enjoyed* climbing that
stepladder?

Re: Dispatches from Clown World: The Environmental Cost of Those Windmills

<tfo1f4$2aq5h$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=156501&group=rec.arts.tv#156501

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 19:31:49 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 19:31 UTC

A Friend wrote:
>Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
>>A Friend wrote:

>>>We have a fair number of recessed ceiling lights in our kitchen and
>>>upstairs. Not having to use a stepladder to change an Edison bulb
>>>every few months is a godsend.

>>Yeah. It's too bad that over a century ago, no one had invented a tool
>>with a long handle available at any lighting or electrical supply or
>>janitorial supply store that's used to change spotlights or the
>>reflector lights in recessed canister fixtures you have that saves the
>>trouble of carrying a ladder from place to place.

>I know you're trying really hard to be a smartass, but the
>extension-tool thing didn't work for us due to the rather odd
>construction of the receptacle. Do you think I *enjoyed* climbing that
>stepladder?

Ok. I'm specifically addressing the recessed canister fixtures you
mentioned that the tool is specific for.

I have to change bulbs in one light fixture in the living room for
accent lighting that are above the fixture and illuminate the ceiling
above. I have to use a six-foot ladder to reach that. I waited to change
the bulbs till that last one burnt out and it got its annual dusting.

Usually anything other than a high shelf I avoid the stepladder and use
a regular ladder. I just feel safer. I even bought a heavy-duty step
ladder that I saw grocery clerks using which actually has a safety rail
on it. I try to avoid falling off ladders.

Re: Dispatches from Clown World: The Environmental Cost of Those Windmills

<mEMTK.169960$9Yp5.7402@fx12.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=156514&group=rec.arts.tv#156514

Windmills
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 16:29:05 -0400
 by: moviePig - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 20:29 UTC

On 9/12/2022 3:02 PM, A Friend wrote:
> In article <tfnoj7$29vms$3@dont-email.me>, Adam H. Kerman
> <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
>
>> A Friend wrote:

>>> We have a fair number of recessed ceiling lights in our kitchen
>>> and upstairs. Not having to use a stepladder to change an Edison
>>> bulb every few months is a godsend.
>>
>> Yeah. It's too bad that over a century ago, no one had invented a
>> tool with a long handle available at any lighting or electrical
>> supply or janitorial supply store that's used to change spotlights
>> or the reflector lights in recessed canister fixtures you have that
>> saves the trouble of carrying a ladder from place to place.
>
> I know you're trying really hard to be a smartass, but the
> extension-tool thing didn't work for us due to the rather odd
> construction of the receptacle.
>
> Do you think I *enjoyed* climbing that stepladder?

....and in the dark, no less?

Re: Dispatches from Clown World: The Environmental Cost of Those Windmills

<tfpe8n$9k2$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=156571&group=rec.arts.tv#156571

From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Windmills
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2022 03:16:23 -0500
 by: trotsky - Tue, 13 Sep 2022 08:16 UTC

On 9/12/2022 2:02 PM, A Friend wrote:
> In article <tfnoj7$29vms$3@dont-email.me>, Adam H. Kerman
> <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
>
>> A Friend wrote:

>>> We have a fair number of recessed ceiling lights in our kitchen and
>>> upstairs. Not having to use a stepladder to change an Edison bulb
>>> every few months is a godsend.
>>
>> Yeah. It's too bad that over a century ago, no one had invented a tool
>> with a long handle available at any lighting or electrical supply or
>> janitorial supply store that's used to change spotlights or the
>> reflector lights in recessed canister fixtures you have that saves the
>> trouble of carrying a ladder from place to place.
>

> I know you're trying really hard to be a smartass, but the
> extension-tool thing didn't work for us due to the rather odd
> construction of the receptacle. Do you think I *enjoyed* climbing that
> stepladder?

I believe in Adam H. Verman's Einsteinian thought experiment you did.

Re: Dispatches from Clown World: The Environmental Cost of Those Windmills

<tfpevh$m54$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=156574&group=rec.arts.tv#156574

From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Windmills
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2022 03:28:33 -0500
 by: trotsky - Tue, 13 Sep 2022 08:28 UTC

On 9/12/2022 3:29 PM, moviePig wrote:
> On 9/12/2022 3:02 PM, A Friend wrote:
>> In article <tfnoj7$29vms$3@dont-email.me>, Adam H. Kerman
>> <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

>>> Yeah. It's too bad that over a century ago, no one had invented a
>>> tool with a long handle available at any lighting or electrical
>>> supply or janitorial supply store that's used to change spotlights
>>> or the reflector lights in recessed canister fixtures you have that
>>> saves the trouble of carrying a ladder from place to place.
>>
>> I know you're trying really hard to be a smartass, but the
>> extension-tool thing didn't work for us due to the rather odd
>> construction of the receptacle.
>>
>> Do you think I *enjoyed* climbing that stepladder?
>
> ...and in the dark, no less?

Great Billy Squier song.

Re: Dispatches from Clown World: The Environmental Cost of Those Windmills

<6qe4ihd81vviknclqn15jdmh7vha3vtigu@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=156776&group=rec.arts.tv#156776

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2022 13:36:45 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Wed, 14 Sep 2022 20:36 UTC

On Sun, 11 Sep 2022 20:39:50 -0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman"
<ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

>>Equally I doubt anyone needs to have it explained to them that trains
>>on a downgrade will move downhill when the brakes fail and god help
>>anyone below - in this case 47 dead somebodies.
>
>I just can't emphasize enough the entirely avoidable nature of this
>calamity was.

That's pretty much what the inquest said though I'm not aware charges
were ever brought.

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: Dispatches from Clown World: The Environmental Cost of Those Windmills