From: danie...@nomail.afraid.org (Daniel65)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho
Subject: Re: Attack of the Bee Clones!
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2023 19:58:48 +1100
 by: Daniel65 - Tue, 28 Mar 2023 08:58 UTC

tsbr...@gmail.com wrote on 28/3/23 9:30 am:
> https://www.livescience.com/bee-creates-perfect-clone-army.html
>
> When hives of the African lowland honeybee (Apis mellifera scutella)
> collapse, they do so because of an invisible inner threat: the
> growing, immortal clone army of a rival bee subspecies.
>
> That army is possible because the female workers of the rival
> subspecies — the South African Cape honeybee (Apis mellifera
> capensis) — can create perfect copies of themselves, with one
> individual found to have done so millions of times in the past three
> decades. With this perpetual-cloning ability, the Cape honeybees
> sneak into the hives of their lowland honeybee rivals and churn out
> copy after copy (no need for a queen). Even worse, these clones are
> freeloaders, refusing to do any work.
>
> Now, a new study has revealed the genetic foundations of the strange
> and formidable adaptation. Unlike most animals, and even their own
> queen, the female workers do not reshuffle the DNA of the eggs they
> lay. This enables the workers to consistently recreate a perfect copy
> of themselves — a clone — each time they reproduce. According to the
> researchers, the sidestepping of this DNA-reshuffling process is
> unlike anything they've ever seen.
>
> This sounds like a case for Doctor Who and UNIT!

"can create perfect copies of themselves, with one individual found to
have done so millions of times in the past three decades."

Really?? So this one individual creates about 100 copy of themselves
each and every day!! WOW!!
--
Daniel

Re: Attack of the Bee Clones!

<u00pcv$696g$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=15696&group=rec.arts.drwho#15696

From: danie...@nomail.afraid.org (Daniel65)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2023 18:29:34 +1100
 by: Daniel65 - Wed, 29 Mar 2023 07:29 UTC

tsbr...@gmail.com wrote on 28/03/2023 9:35 pm:
> On Tuesday, March 28, 2023 at 1:58:49 AM UTC-7, Daniel65 wrote:
>> tsbr...@gmail.com wrote on 28/3/23 9:30 am:
>>> https://www.livescience.com/bee-creates-perfect-clone-army.html
>>>
>>> When hives of the African lowland honeybee (Apis mellifera
>>> scutella) collapse, they do so because of an invisible inner
>>> threat: the growing, immortal clone army of a rival bee
>>> subspecies.
>>>
>>> That army is possible because the female workers of the rival
>>> subspecies — the South African Cape honeybee (Apis mellifera
>>> capensis) — can create perfect copies of themselves, with one
>>> individual found to have done so millions of times in the past
>>> three decades. With this perpetual-cloning ability, the Cape
>>> honeybees sneak into the hives of their lowland honeybee rivals
>>> and churn out copy after copy (no need for a queen). Even worse,
>>> these clones are freeloaders, refusing to do any work.
>>>
>>> Now, a new study has revealed the genetic foundations of the
>>> strange and formidable adaptation. Unlike most animals, and even
>>> their own queen, the female workers do not reshuffle the DNA of
>>> the eggs they lay. This enables the workers to consistently
>>> recreate a perfect copy of themselves — a clone — each time they
>>> reproduce. According to the researchers, the sidestepping of this
>>> DNA-reshuffling process is unlike anything they've ever seen.
>>>
>>> This sounds like a case for Doctor Who and UNIT!
>>>
>> "can create perfect copies of themselves, with one individual found
>> to have done so millions of times in the past three decades."
>> Really?? So this one individual creates about 100 copy of
>> themselves each and every day!! WOW!!
>
> i suspect that she is long dead.

So what, Tim?? If 'she' had lived ninety-nine years ago, for e.g., it
would still have been an amazing effort!!
--
Daniel