From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Texas A&M Offers $100K Bonuses for Bipock Professors Only
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2022 01:29:20 +0000
 by: BTR1701 - Thu, 15 Sep 2022 01:29 UTC

So the Texas A&M admin have apparently decided that the federal Civil Rights
and the 14th Amendment laws no longer apply to them.

The largest public university in the United States is now reserving faculty
positions based on race and making six-figure bonuses available exclusively to
minorities, programs that are now the subject of a class action lawsuit.

https://freebeacon.com/campus/nations-largest-public-university-hit-with-class-action-suit-over-race-based-hiring-practices/

As part of a new initiative to attract "faculty of color", Texas A&M
University set aside $2 million in July to be spent on bonuses for "hires from
underrepresented minority groups", according to a memo from the university's
office of diversity. The max bonus is $100,000, and eligible minority groups
are defined by the university to include "African Americans, Hispanic/Latino
Americans, Native Americans, Alaskan Natives, and Native Hawaiians".

Another program, at the university's Mays Business School, reserves certain
slots on the faculty for the same minority groups, emails between Texas A&M
professors show.

These explosive revelations form the basis for a class action complaint filed
this weekend by the conservative nonprofit America First Legal. The plaintiff,
a University of Texas at Austin finance professor named Richard Lowery, argues
that the hiring programs violate three different civil rights laws: the Civil
Rights Act of 1866, which prohibits race discrimination in contracting; Title
VI of the 1964 Civil Rights Act, which prohibits race discrimination at
federally funded universities; and the Equal Protection Clause of the 14th
Amendment, which bars public universities from using racial preferences in
nearly all situations.

"University administrators think they can flout these federal statutes with
impunity because no one ever sues them over their discriminatory
faculty-hiring practices and the Department of Education looks the other way,"
the lawsuit reads. Lowery is asking a Texas district court to put an end to
Texas A&M's programs and appoint a court monitor to make sure that the
diversity office "does not aid or abet violations of the nation's civil-rights
laws".

Such violations are increasingly de rigueur in both academia and corporate
America. A faculty hiring plan at George Mason University, announced in April
2021, drew criticism from law professors over its apparent use of racial
quotas, which are illegal under federal law. Google, Pfizer, Microsoft, and
IBM have capped or outright excluded white and Asian applicants from
prestigious fellowships, while Amazon offers "Black, Latinx, and Native
American entrepreneurs" a $10,000 stipend to launch their own delivery
startups-- a program that, like Texas A&M’s initiatives, is now the subject of
a lawsuit.

Many of these programs seek to ensure that an institution's racial balance
reflects the demographics of the population. George Mason said its hiring
initiative would close "gaps" between the racial composition of its students
and the racial composition of its professors. Texas A&M likewise touted its
race-based bonus scheme as a way to achieve demographic "parity" with the
state of Texas.

Though the public universities can use race as a "plus factor" in admissions,
it's not clear whether they can do so in faculty hiring. Even if they can, the
lawsuit argues, Supreme Court precedent would still forbid the sort of
outright quotas used by Texas A&M.

"These discriminatory, illegal, and anti-meritocratic practices have been
egged on by woke ideologues who populate the so-called diversity, equity, and
inclusion offices at public and private universities throughout the United
States," Lowery's lawsuit says. "The existence of these offices is subverting
meritocracy and encouraging wholesale violations of civil-rights laws
throughout our nation’s university system."

Laylan Copelin, the vice chancellor of marketing and communications for Texas
A&M, said the the university system would "review the lawsuit" and "take
appropriate action as warranted". With more than 73,000 enrolled students,
Texas A&M is the largest university in the country.

Re: Texas A&M Offers $100K Bonuses for Bipock Professors Only

<tfuv96$1nc0$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=156834&group=rec.arts.tv#156834

From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2022 05:37:26 -0500
 by: trotsky - Thu, 15 Sep 2022 10:37 UTC

On 9/14/2022 8:29 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> So the Texas A&M admin have apparently decided that the federal Civil Rights
> and the 14th Amendment laws no longer apply to them.
>
> The largest public university in the United States is now reserving faculty
> positions based on race and making six-figure bonuses available exclusively to
> minorities, programs that are now the subject of a class action lawsuit.
>

> https://freebeacon.com/campus/nations-largest-public-university-hit-with-class-action-suit-over-race-based-hiring-practices/
>
> As part of a new initiative to attract "faculty of color",

In America? How the fuck do they dare do such a thing? I can see why
white right wing assholes are outraged! It's as if the ghost of MLK
fucked them right up the ass!

Re: Texas A&M Offers $100K Bonuses for Bipock Professors Only

<tg06u7$3e8fc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=156905&group=rec.arts.tv#156905

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2022 17:54:13 -0400
 by: Rhino - Thu, 15 Sep 2022 21:54 UTC

On 2022-09-14 9:29 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> [...]
> lawsuit argues, Supreme Court precedent would still forbid the sort of
> outright quotas used by Texas A&M.
>
> "These discriminatory, illegal, and anti-meritocratic practices have been
> egged on by woke ideologues who populate the so-called diversity, equity, and
> inclusion offices at public and private universities throughout the United
> States," Lowery's lawsuit says. "The existence of these offices is subverting
> meritocracy and encouraging wholesale violations of civil-rights laws
> throughout our nation’s university system."
>
> Laylan Copelin, the vice chancellor of marketing and communications for Texas
> A&M, said the the university system would "review the lawsuit" and "take
> appropriate action as warranted". With more than 73,000 enrolled students,
> Texas A&M is the largest university in the country.

Here in Canada, I've seen announcements of very similar measures at our
universities where white males need not apply. The MSM article that I
read about it *implied* that this was completely legal and possibly
enabled by recent legislation. I *think* the article said these postings
wouldn't begin for another two or three years.

We don't have nearly the legal protections you do against this kind of
thing in the US so I'm not even able to say with any confidence that
there is a legal basis to stop this fragrant, racist discrimination.

If I get a minute after dinner, I may research this further so that I
have some idea what is coming and if there are any grounds on which it
might be challenged.

--
Rhino

Re: Texas A&M Offers $100K Bonuses for Bipock Professors Only

<qYudnbTMkqx8Lb7-nZ2dnZfqn_j9fwAA@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=156921&group=rec.arts.tv#156921

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: no_em...@invalid.invalid (BTR1701)
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2022 23:10:25 +0000
 by: BTR1701 - Thu, 15 Sep 2022 23:10 UTC

> [...]
>> appropriate action as warranted". With more than 73,000 enrolled students,
>> Texas A&M is the largest university in the country.
>>
> Here in Canada, I've seen announcements of very similar measures at our
> universities where white males need not apply. The MSM article that I
> read about it *implied* that this was completely legal and possibly
> enabled by recent legislation. I *think* the article said these postings
> wouldn't begin for another two or three years.
>
> We don't have nearly the legal protections you do against this kind of
> thing in the US so I'm not even able to say with any confidence that
> there is a legal basis to stop this fragrant, racist discrimination.
>
> If I get a minute after dinner, I may research this further so that I
> have some idea what is coming and if there are any grounds on which it

I just read that Google and Microsoft have amended their criteria for their
internships in the face of both negative press coverage and dozens of legal
experts telling them what they're doing is blatantly illegal.

Now instead of requiring candidates be bipocks and explicitly excluding
whites, they're only requesting universities consider nominating bipocks
for the internships. They've dumped the legal liability in the laps of the
colleges now-- if the universities only nominate bipocks, then they'll be
the ones sued for racial discrimination, not Google and Microsoft.

Re: Texas A&M Offers $100K Bonuses for Bipock Professors Only

<tg0g33$3evmm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=156931&group=rec.arts.tv#156931

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2022 20:30:27 -0400
 by: Rhino - Fri, 16 Sep 2022 00:30 UTC

On 2022-09-15 7:10 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> [...]
>> there is a legal basis to stop this fragrant, racist discrimination.
>>
>> If I get a minute after dinner, I may research this further so that I
>> have some idea what is coming and if there are any grounds on which it
>> might be challenged.
>
> I just read that Google and Microsoft have amended their criteria for their
> internships in the face of both negative press coverage and dozens of legal
> experts telling them what they're doing is blatantly illegal.
>
> Now instead of requiring candidates be bipocks and explicitly excluding
> whites, they're only requesting universities consider nominating bipocks
> for the internships. They've dumped the legal liability in the laps of the
> colleges now-- if the universities only nominate bipocks, then they'll be
> the ones sued for racial discrimination, not Google and Microsoft.

It will be interesting to see how the universities and colleges play
this. If they only nominate bipocks, then other students should
collectively sue their asses until they learn their lessons.

--
Rhino

Re: Texas A&M Offers $100K Bonuses for Bipock Professors Only

<tg1h8k$6gp$4@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=156997&group=rec.arts.tv#156997

From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 04:56:39 -0500
 by: trotsky - Fri, 16 Sep 2022 09:56 UTC

On 9/15/2022 6:10 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> [...]
>> universities where white males need not apply. The MSM article that I
>> read about it *implied* that this was completely legal and possibly
>> enabled by recent legislation. I *think* the article said these postings
>> wouldn't begin for another two or three years.
>>
>> We don't have nearly the legal protections you do against this kind of
>> thing in the US so I'm not even able to say with any confidence that
>> there is a legal basis to stop this fragrant, racist discrimination.
>>
>> If I get a minute after dinner, I may research this further so that I
>> have some idea what is coming and if there are any grounds on which it
>> might be challenged.
>
> I just read that Google and Microsoft have amended their criteria for their
> internships in the face of both negative press coverage and dozens of legal
> experts telling them what they're doing is blatantly illegal.

Where did you read this? Do you have a cite or are you lying as usual?