It's not reality that's important, but how you perceive things.

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-09-09 (Friday)

SubjectAuthor
* What Did You Watch? 2022-09-09 (Friday)Ian J. Ball
+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-09-09 (Friday)shawn
|+- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-09-09 (Friday)Ian J. Ball
|`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-09-09 (Friday)Arthur Lipscomb
| `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-09-09 (Friday)anim8rfsk
|  `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-09-09 (Friday)BTR1701
+- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-09-09 (Friday)anim8rfsk
`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-09-09 (Friday)Ubiquitous

1
What Did You Watch? 2022-09-09 (Friday)

<tfia7n$1g6pp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=156190&group=rec.arts.tv#156190

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: What Did You Watch? 2022-09-09 (Friday)
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2022 08:24:40 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sat, 10 Sep 2022 15:24 UTC

On a payday from one of my jobs, I saved recorded soaps for weekend
viewing, and instead watched:

She-Hulk: Attorney at Law (Disney+) - "Is This Not Real Magic?" (ep.
#4). Another amusing episode - I get the impression that the people who
don't like this show are not taking it in the spirit it's meant to be
taken in!
A third-rate magician named Donny Blaze (Rhys Coiro, husband of
showrunner Kat Coiro!) starts to use real magic, that he learned in his
one week at Kamar-Taj before he was expelled! in his floundering magic
show act, and accidentally transports a party girl named "Madisynn" to
a demon dimension. Wong becomes aware of this, and sues Blaze to get
him to stop using dangerous real magic.
Meanwhile, in a running bit, Jennifer is unable to get even an
"online swipe" date as Jennifer, but gets a lot more online dating
"heat" when she follows Nikki's advice to create a dating profile for
"She-Hulk". But her one-night stand is repulsed to find Jennifer in the
morning, and not She-Hulk, and quickly leaves!
In the end, crazy meta Titania sues Jennifer, for copyright
infringement over "She-Hulk"!!
Patty Guggenheim totally nails the role of party girl Madisynn, and
was the best part about this epie.
This episode was somewhat longer again, getting *closer* to a true
45-minute (aka. "1 hour") episode runtime.

Fear PHarm (Prime) - This 2020 film is a mostly pro-forma horror entry:
four (college? post-college?) young adults (incl. Lifetime staple
Houston Stevenson) go to a "cornfield maze", but one of them wins a
"special prize", to go through the "VIP maze" instead.
Obviously, this is a ruse, and the psychos who run the maze intend
to do these four young adults harm, especially the one (Tiana Tuttle)
who "won" the prize.
I'm pretty sure there's an almost equivalent earlier horror flick
set in a corn maze like this that I've seen - looks like it was 2010's
"The Maze".
Anyway, the one thing that sets this one apart is that it's pretty
campy - like when the character of Tuttle's brother "dies", it's pretty
clearly a parody scene (in fact, everything with this brother is
comical).
But the "motive" for the corn maze crazies didn't make a lick of
sense to me.
Apparently there's a 2021 sequel, which Tiana Tuttle, and the actors
playing the two main baddies, return for, but it's not available on a
"free" streamer right now.

Are My Friends Killers? (LMN) - This was a very by-the-numbers take on
the "secret richy-rich club" on college campus flick - friend (Jalina
Brown) of girl who dies under mysterious circumstances is tasked by the
dead girl's mother (Jennifer Dorogi) with finding out why/how the
friend died. Shaylaren Hilton, from LMN's earlier "Pom Poms and
Payback", plays the main mover-and-shaker in the secret club. Hmmmmm...
I wonder who the killer might be?...
Yeah, there are *no* real twists, in terms of the perp(s), with this
one. The one sort of unexpected development is what happens to Brown's
character's roommate. But that's about it.

Recorded for later: Soaps.

What did you watch?

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-09-09 (Friday)

<q3dphhhs3o873qhuvfpgjv04vbmnjlcqan@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=156192&group=rec.arts.tv#156192

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-09-09 (Friday)
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2022 12:11:55 -0400
 by: shawn - Sat, 10 Sep 2022 16:11 UTC

On Sat, 10 Sep 2022 08:24:40 -0700, Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid>
wrote:

>On a payday from one of my jobs, I saved recorded soaps for weekend
>viewing, and instead watched:
>
>She-Hulk: Attorney at Law (Disney+) - "Is This Not Real Magic?" (ep.
>#4). Another amusing episode - I get the impression that the people who
>don't like this show are not taking it in the spirit it's meant to be
>taken in!

They are probably wanting a super-hero show and that's not really what
this show is about.

> A third-rate magician named Donny Blaze (Rhys Coiro, husband of
>showrunner Kat Coiro!) starts to use real magic, that he learned in his
>one week at Kamar-Taj before he was expelled! in his floundering magic
>show act, and accidentally transports a party girl named "Madisynn" to
>a demon dimension. Wong becomes aware of this, and sues Blaze to get
>him to stop using dangerous real magic.
> Meanwhile, in a running bit, Jennifer is unable to get even an
>"online swipe" date as Jennifer, but gets a lot more online dating
>"heat" when she follows Nikki's advice to create a dating profile for
>"She-Hulk". But her one-night stand is repulsed to find Jennifer in the
>morning, and not She-Hulk, and quickly leaves!
> In the end, crazy meta Titania sues Jennifer, for copyright
>infringement over "She-Hulk"!!
> Patty Guggenheim totally nails the role of party girl Madisynn, and
>was the best part about this epie.

Indeed. Oh and you forgot about how casual she was about having been
sent to a demon dimension and having made deals with a demon to get
back home. All that happened to her just rolled off her back as though
it was perfectly normal.

> This episode was somewhat longer again, getting *closer* to a true
>45-minute (aka. "1 hour") episode runtime.

I watched the first couple of episodes of THE IMPERFECTS which is
similar to the UK show, MISFITS. In this show a number of people who
apparently had some sort of genetic disease were treated by a doctor
that ended the treatment by giving them monthly bottles of pills they
need to take daily. For some reason the doctor stops sending them the
pills and they are experiencing strange side effects. As they come to
find out the doctor had treated them with some synthetic stem cells
and had been using the pills to keep the stem cells from going fully
active for years.
Now without the pills the synthetic stem cells have activated giving
the patients strange side effects. One young singer suddenly has super
hearing and when trying to sing will shatter glass so she's like a
banshee. Another girl creates a super pheromone that attracts people
to her to the point that they will fight each other over who gets her
attention. Another turns into a wolf like creature at night and eats
small animals.
The show is built around them coming together to try and find the
doctor that did this to them and hopefully get him to turn them back
into normal people.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-09-09 (Friday)

<563455464.684522736.561653.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=156199&group=rec.arts.tv#156199

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2022 10:18:16 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sat, 10 Sep 2022 17:18 UTC

Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
> On a payday from one of my jobs, I saved recorded soaps for weekend
> viewing, and instead watched:
>
> She-Hulk: Attorney at Law (Disney+) - "Is This Not Real Magic?" (ep.
> #4). Another amusing episode - I get the impression that the people who
> don't like this show are not taking it in the spirit it's meant to be
> taken in!

Offensive woke garbage? It’s garbage. The writing is garbage, the special
effects are garbage, the message is garbage. And a lot of the people in it
are garbage.

This garbage is the legitimate heir to STUPIDGIRL

> A third-rate magician named Donny Blaze (Rhys Coiro, husband of
> showrunner Kat Coiro!) starts to use real magic, that he learned in his
> one week at Kamar-Taj before he was expelled! in his floundering magic
> show act, and accidentally transports a party girl named "Madisynn" to
> a demon dimension. Wong becomes aware of this, and sues Blaze to get
> him to stop using dangerous real magic.
> Meanwhile, in a running bit, Jennifer is unable to get even an
> "online swipe" date as Jennifer, but gets a lot more online dating
> "heat" when she follows Nikki's advice to create a dating profile for
> "She-Hulk". But her one-night stand is repulsed to find Jennifer in the
> morning, and not She-Hulk, and quickly leaves!

In the comics she was a big old slut just grabbing people who walked into
the Baxter building and carrying them off to her room.

> In the end, crazy meta Titania sues Jennifer, for copyright
> infringement over "She-Hulk"!!
> Patty Guggenheim totally nails the role of party girl Madisynn, and
> was the best part about this epie.
> This episode was somewhat longer again, getting *closer* to a true
> 45-minute (aka. "1 hour") episode runtime.
>
> Fear PHarm (Prime) - This 2020 film is a mostly pro-forma horror entry:
> four (college? post-college?) young adults (incl. Lifetime staple
> Houston Stevenson) go to a "cornfield maze", but one of them wins a
> "special prize", to go through the "VIP maze" instead.
> Obviously, this is a ruse, and the psychos who run the maze intend
> to do these four young adults harm, especially the one (Tiana Tuttle)
> who "won" the prize.
> I'm pretty sure there's an almost equivalent earlier horror flick
> set in a corn maze like this that I've seen - looks like it was 2010's
> "The Maze".
> Anyway, the one thing that sets this one apart is that it's pretty
> campy - like when the character of Tuttle's brother "dies", it's pretty
> clearly a parody scene (in fact, everything with this brother is
> comical).
> But the "motive" for the corn maze crazies didn't make a lick of
> sense to me.
> Apparently there's a 2021 sequel, which Tiana Tuttle, and the actors
> playing the two main baddies, return for, but it's not available on a
> "free" streamer right now.
>
> Are My Friends Killers? (LMN) - This was a very by-the-numbers take on
> the "secret richy-rich club" on college campus flick - friend (Jalina
> Brown) of girl who dies under mysterious circumstances is tasked by the
> dead girl's mother (Jennifer Dorogi) with finding out why/how the
> friend died. Shaylaren Hilton, from LMN's earlier "Pom Poms and
> Payback", plays the main mover-and-shaker in the secret club. Hmmmmm...
> I wonder who the killer might be?...
> Yeah, there are *no* real twists, in terms of the perp(s), with this
> one. The one sort of unexpected development is what happens to Brown's
> character's roommate. But that's about it.
>
> Recorded for later: Soaps.
>
> What did you watch?

My Star Trek marathon bled over from the eighth and finally turned into my
Time Tunnel marathon which is still going now.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-09-09 (Friday)

<tfihvb$1i7as$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=156201&group=rec.arts.tv#156201

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2022 10:36:43 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sat, 10 Sep 2022 17:36 UTC

On 2022-09-10 16:11:55 +0000, shawn said:

> I watched the first couple of episodes of THE IMPERFECTS which is
> similar to the UK show, MISFITS. In this show a number of people who
> apparently had some sort of genetic disease were treated by a doctor
> that ended the treatment by giving them monthly bottles of pills they
> need to take daily. For some reason the doctor stops sending them the
> pills and they are experiencing strange side effects. As they come to
> find out the doctor had treated them with some synthetic stem cells
> and had been using the pills to keep the stem cells from going fully
> active for years.
> Now without the pills the synthetic stem cells have activated giving
> the patients strange side effects. One young singer suddenly has super
> hearing and when trying to sing will shatter glass so she's like a
> banshee. Another girl creates a super pheromone that attracts people
> to her to the point that they will fight each other over who gets her
> attention. Another turns into a wolf like creature at night and eats
> small animals.
> The show is built around them coming together to try and find the
> doctor that did this to them and hopefully get him to turn them back
> into normal people.

This is on my list, as it stars Morgan Taylor Campbell and Italia
Ricci. Not sure when I will get to it though...

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-09-09 (Friday)

<UBI20220909@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=156278&group=rec.arts.tv#156278

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2022 04:30:42 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Sun, 11 Sep 2022 08:30 UTC

In article <tfia7n$1g6pp$1@dont-email.me>, IJBall@mac.invalid wrote:

>What did you watch?

A bunch of Vincent Price horror movies. I have no idea why this channel
playing them.

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-09-09 (Friday)

<tg3hq7$3det$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=157096&group=rec.arts.tv#157096

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 21:18:14 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Sat, 17 Sep 2022 04:18 UTC

On 9/10/2022 9:11 AM, shawn wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Sep 2022 08:24:40 -0700, Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> On a payday from one of my jobs, I saved recorded soaps for weekend
>> viewing, and instead watched:
>>
>> She-Hulk: Attorney at Law (Disney+) - "Is This Not Real Magic?" (ep.
>> #4). Another amusing episode - I get the impression that the people who
>> don't like this show are not taking it in the spirit it's meant to be
>> taken in!
>
> They are probably wanting a super-hero show and that's not really what
> this show is about.
>
>> A third-rate magician named Donny Blaze (Rhys Coiro, husband of
>> showrunner Kat Coiro!) starts to use real magic, that he learned in his
>> one week at Kamar-Taj before he was expelled! in his floundering magic
>> show act, and accidentally transports a party girl named "Madisynn" to
>> a demon dimension. Wong becomes aware of this, and sues Blaze to get
>> him to stop using dangerous real magic.
>> Meanwhile, in a running bit, Jennifer is unable to get even an
>> "online swipe" date as Jennifer, but gets a lot more online dating
>> "heat" when she follows Nikki's advice to create a dating profile for
>> "She-Hulk". But her one-night stand is repulsed to find Jennifer in the
>> morning, and not She-Hulk, and quickly leaves!
>> In the end, crazy meta Titania sues Jennifer, for copyright
>> infringement over "She-Hulk"!!
>> Patty Guggenheim totally nails the role of party girl Madisynn, and
>> was the best part about this epie.
>
> Indeed. Oh and you forgot about how casual she was about having been
> sent to a demon dimension and having made deals with a demon to get
> back home. All that happened to her just rolled off her back as though
> it was perfectly normal.

Don't forget the "Y" isn't where you think it is!

>> This episode was somewhat longer again, getting *closer* to a true
>> 45-minute (aka. "1 hour") episode runtime.
>>

> I watched the first couple of episodes of THE IMPERFECTS

I need to get to this.

which is
> similar to the UK show, MISFITS. In this show a number of people who
> apparently had some sort of genetic disease were treated by a doctor
> that ended the treatment by giving them monthly bottles of pills they
> need to take daily. For some reason the doctor stops sending them the
> pills and they are experiencing strange side effects. As they come to
> find out the doctor had treated them with some synthetic stem cells
> and had been using the pills to keep the stem cells from going fully
> active for years.
> Now without the pills the synthetic stem cells have activated giving
> the patients strange side effects. One young singer suddenly has super
> hearing and when trying to sing will shatter glass so she's like a
> banshee. Another girl creates a super pheromone that attracts people
> to her to the point that they will fight each other over who gets her
> attention. Another turns into a wolf like creature at night and eats
> small animals.
> The show is built around them coming together to try and find the
> doctor that did this to them and hopefully get him to turn them back
> into normal people.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-09-09 (Friday)

<934781297.685084099.422853.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=157105&group=rec.arts.tv#157105

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 22:14:41 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sat, 17 Sep 2022 05:14 UTC

Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
> On 9/10/2022 9:11 AM, shawn wrote:
>> On Sat, 10 Sep 2022 08:24:40 -0700, Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> On a payday from one of my jobs, I saved recorded soaps for weekend
>>> viewing, and instead watched:
>>>
>>> She-Hulk: Attorney at Law (Disney+) - "Is This Not Real Magic?" (ep.
>>> #4). Another amusing episode - I get the impression that the people who
>>> don't like this show are not taking it in the spirit it's meant to be
>>> taken in!
>>
>> They are probably wanting a super-hero show and that's not really what
>> this show is about.
>>
>>> A third-rate magician named Donny Blaze (Rhys Coiro, husband of
>>> showrunner Kat Coiro!) starts to use real magic, that he learned in his
>>> one week at Kamar-Taj before he was expelled! in his floundering magic
>>> show act, and accidentally transports a party girl named "Madisynn" to
>>> a demon dimension. Wong becomes aware of this, and sues Blaze to get
>>> him to stop using dangerous real magic.
>>> Meanwhile, in a running bit, Jennifer is unable to get even an
>>> "online swipe" date as Jennifer, but gets a lot more online dating
>>> "heat" when she follows Nikki's advice to create a dating profile for
>>> "She-Hulk". But her one-night stand is repulsed to find Jennifer in the
>>> morning, and not She-Hulk, and quickly leaves!
>>> In the end, crazy meta Titania sues Jennifer, for copyright
>>> infringement over "She-Hulk"!!
>>> Patty Guggenheim totally nails the role of party girl Madisynn, and
>>> was the best part about this epie.
>>
>> Indeed. Oh and you forgot about how casual she was about having been
>> sent to a demon dimension and having made deals with a demon to get
>> back home. All that happened to her just rolled off her back as though
>> it was perfectly normal.
>>

> Don't forget the "Y" isn't where you think it is!
>

>>> This episode was somewhat longer again, getting *closer* to a true
>>> 45-minute (aka. "1 hour") episode runtime.
>>>

>> I watched the first couple of episodes of THE IMPERFECTS
>
> I need to get to this.

Added to my list as well.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-09-09 (Friday)

<atropos-E6E952.22441416092022@news.giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=157108&group=rec.arts.tv#157108

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 22:44:14 -0700
 by: BTR1701 - Sat, 17 Sep 2022 05:44 UTC

In article
anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

> Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
> > On 9/10/2022 9:11 AM, shawn wrote:

> >> They are probably wanting a super-hero show and that's not really what
> >> this show is about.

> >> Indeed. Oh and you forgot about how casual she was about having been
> >> sent to a demon dimension and having made deals with a demon to get
> >> back home. All that happened to her just rolled off her back as though
> >> it was perfectly normal.
> >>

> > Don't forget the "Y" isn't where you think it is!

> >> I watched the first couple of episodes of THE IMPERFECTS
> >
> > I need to get to this.
>
> Added to my list as well.

Already three episodes in.