"So why don't you make like a tree, and get outta here." -- Biff in "Back to the Future"

arts / rec.arts.tv / What Did You Watch? 2022-09-18 (Sunday)

SubjectAuthor
* What Did You Watch? 2022-09-18 (Sunday)Ubiquitous
`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-09-18 (Sunday)Ian J. Ball
 +* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-09-18 (Sunday)Arthur Lipscomb
 |+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-09-18 (Sunday)A Friend
 ||`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-09-18 (Sunday)anim8rfsk
 |+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-09-18 (Sunday)Adam H. Kerman
 ||`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-09-18 (Sunday)Arthur Lipscomb
 || `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-09-18 (Sunday)Adam H. Kerman
 |`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-09-18 (Sunday)Micky DuPree
 | `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-09-18 (Sunday)Arthur Lipscomb
 `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-09-18 (Sunday)Dimensional Traveler
  `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-09-18 (Sunday)Arthur Lipscomb

1
What Did You Watch? 2022-09-18 (Sunday)

<UBI20220918@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=157322&group=rec.arts.tv#157322

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: What Did You Watch? 2022-09-18 (Sunday)
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2022 04:30:41 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Mon, 19 Sep 2022 08:30 UTC

The day I spent at the pub celebrating Oktoberfest, I watched:

WE ARE THE 80'S

WE ARE THE 80'S

WE ARE THE 80'S

WE ARE THE 80'S

Sportsball. Several kinds.

RICK AND MORTY:
"Bethic Twinstinct". Gotta love yourself or no one else ever will, broh.
I did not see that ending coming!

What did you watch?

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-09-18 (Sunday)

<tg9rhb$13mfa$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=157338&group=rec.arts.tv#157338

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-09-18 (Sunday)
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2022 06:40:59 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Mon, 19 Sep 2022 13:40 UTC

On 2022-09-19 08:30:41 +0000, Ubiquitous said:

> What did you watch?

I had to do my first batch of real weekend grading yesterday, so I
mostly left LMN on in the background, and did that. So all I got
through was soaps:

soaps: DOOL (Peacock) - Fri's ep. EJ finally meets Stefan in person,
who points out they've never actually met before! (I guess that's
true!!) Kristen continues to make a mockery out of the custody hearing
and the judge lets her get away with it; later, lawyer Belle offers
Kristen a deal, but Kristen turns it down flat - Kristen wants Brady to
dump Chloe, or else!! Chloe tells Brady about Stefan's visit. Li
continues to gaslight Gabi. So did Ava kick him out afterall?! - Johnny
goes to twin sister Allie and Chanel to beg for a place to stay, and
mostly gets the cold shoulder.
GH - Fri's ep. Brando didn't die, and may be waking up at the end.
Dante throws shade on Dex as the possible killer (I agree!!), and then
goes to question Cody (who literally does have no motive!). Curtis
throws shade on NuNuJordan, who later points out to Sonny that both
Hook Killer (not a "killer" yet!!) victims had ties to him! Selena Wu
and Britt have a convo; later Brad continues to push Cody on Britt.
(Note: Britt I think is leaving the show in the next couple of months -
still have no idea how they write her out!!)

I'll get to "House of the Dragon" on Tuesday. I guess I'll start season
#2 of "Fate: The Winx Saga" Monday night, if I can get to it...

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-09-18 (Sunday)

<tga40l$15nag$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=157357&group=rec.arts.tv#157357

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2022 09:05:40 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Mon, 19 Sep 2022 16:05 UTC

On 9/19/2022 6:40 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> On 2022-09-19 08:30:41 +0000, Ubiquitous said:
>
>> What did you watch?
>
> I had to do my first batch of real weekend grading yesterday, so I
> mostly left LMN on in the background, and did that. So all I got through
> was soaps:
>
> soaps: DOOL (Peacock) - Fri's ep. EJ finally meets Stefan in person, who
> points out they've never actually met before! (I guess that's true!!)
> Kristen continues to make a mockery out of the custody hearing and the
> judge lets her get away with it; later, lawyer Belle offers Kristen a
> deal, but Kristen turns it down flat - Kristen wants Brady to dump
> Chloe, or else!! Chloe tells Brady about Stefan's visit. Li continues to
> gaslight Gabi. So did Ava kick him out afterall?! - Johnny goes to twin
> sister Allie and Chanel to beg for a place to stay, and mostly gets the
> cold shoulder.
>   GH - Fri's ep. Brando didn't die, and may be waking up at the end.
> Dante throws shade on Dex as the possible killer (I agree!!), and then
> goes to question Cody (who literally does have no motive!). Curtis
> throws shade on NuNuJordan, who later points out to Sonny that both Hook
> Killer (not a "killer" yet!!) victims had ties to him! Selena Wu and
> Britt have a convo; later Brad continues to push Cody on Britt. (Note:
> Britt I think is leaving the show in the next couple of months - still
> have no idea how they write her out!!)
>
> I'll get to "House of the Dragon" on Tuesday. I guess I'll start season
> #2 of "Fate: The Winx Saga" Monday night, if I can get to it...

Yeah, I need to get to "Fate" too. It just dropped out of nowhere. I
already have a ridiculous number of shows to watch. I still haven't
gotten around to watching season 2 of The Witcher, season 3 of Love,
Death & Robots, or Cowboy Bebop. I just can't keep up!

I watched:

National Lampoon's Animal House (4K disc) 1978 college comedy directed
by John Landis, with an all star cast, about the worst fraternity on
campus that is placed on double secret probation by the dean. I'm not
sure if I've ever watched it all the way through before or not. I know
I've watched many clips of it over the years. But for all intents and
purposes this was a blind buy based on the movie's reputation (and I got
in on sale!) I guess it was OK.

Revenge of the Nerds (blu-ray) 1984 college comedy about a group of
lovable nerds who turn the tables on the mean jocks. This was one of
the very first movies I ever saw on VHS. I used to watch this all the
time, and love the whole series, although the quality takes a serious
hit after #2.

National Lampoon's Van Wilder (blu-ray) 2002 College comedy starring
Ryan Reynolds as a 7th year college student who gets in a love triangle
with the ex of the leader of the evil Delta fraternity and has to keep
from getting kicked out of college. Tim Matheson and Curtis Armstrong
who both know a thing or two about college life also co-star in the movie.

Old School (blu-ray) 2003 College comedy about a grown man (Luke Wilson)
who moves into a house near a college campus and gets talked into
turning it into an Animal House by his two friends (Will Ferrell and
Vince Vaughn). Jeremy Piven plays the mean dean who schemes to get them
off of campus. "We will give nothing back to the university, as well as
provide no public service of any kind. This I promise you."

House of the Dragon - Another filler episode as everyone plays their
game of thrones trying to position themselves to take the iron throne.

Teen Titans Go! (Cartoon Network OnDemand) "365!" - For the show's 365th
episode the Titans set out to find a director worthy of directing such
an epic episode and decide they want Zack Snyder (who guest stars as
himself) to direct the "Synder Cut" of the episode. Patric Wilson also
guest stars as himself. "Where did the rain come from?" "Who cares!
The rain makes this battle look way more epic!"

If you aren't going to track down the actual episode, then this spoiler
filled scene is all you need to watch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiSt5vQKKQI

Jay and Silent Bob Reboot (blu-ray) - I forgot to mention this from the
other day. This is a 2019 comedy written and directed by Kevin Smith.
Jay and Silent Bob learn that Hollywood plans to reboot their movie
except it will just be a rehash of the first movie but with more
diversity. And Hollywood has hired that no talent hack Kevin Smith to
direct it. Jay and Silent Bob along with a diverse group of characters
head to Hollywood to stop Kevin Smith and along they way rehash the
adventures they had during the first movie. This movie has the usual
cameos and it turns out Silent Bob looks a lot like Kevin Smith. It
holds up very well.

Clerks III (theatrical) dramedy written and directed by Kevin Smith
which reunites the original cast of Clerks for a nostalgia filled trip
down memory lane. After Randal has a heart attack he decides to make a
movie about what it was like working as a clerk. Wackiness ensues.
Everyone from Clerks I and Clerks II returns. This is a must watch for
fans of Clerks.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-09-18 (Sunday)

<190920221504478486%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=157383&group=rec.arts.tv#157383

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2022 15:04:47 -0400
 by: A Friend - Mon, 19 Sep 2022 19:04 UTC

In article <tga40l$15nag$1@dont-email.me>, Arthur Lipscomb
<arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

> I watched:
>
> National Lampoon's Animal House (4K disc) 1978 college comedy directed
> by John Landis, with an all star cast, about the worst fraternity on
> campus that is placed on double secret probation by the dean. I'm not
> sure if I've ever watched it all the way through before or not. I know
> I've watched many clips of it over the years. But for all intents and
> purposes this was a blind buy based on the movie's reputation (and I got
> in on sale!) I guess it was OK.

I saw Animal House in a theater when it first came out, and word hadn't
quite gotten around yet. I have never sat in an audience that laughed
so hard or so long, and it's been around 45 years since then.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-09-18 (Sunday)

<tgap9s$18bgl$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=157396&group=rec.arts.tv#157396

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2022 22:09:00 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Mon, 19 Sep 2022 22:09 UTC

Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>I watched:

>National Lampoon's Animal House (4K disc) 1978 college comedy directed
>by John Landis, with an all star cast, about the worst fraternity on
>campus that is placed on double secret probation by the dean. I'm not
>sure if I've ever watched it all the way through before or not. I know
>I've watched many clips of it over the years. But for all intents and
>purposes this was a blind buy based on the movie's reputation (and I got
>in on sale!) I guess it was OK.

Oh, man. I love this movie. It warped my childhood.

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Flounder killed Neidermeyer's horse!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-09-18 (Sunday)

<tgatjs$18tjh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=157398&group=rec.arts.tv#157398

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2022 16:22:37 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Mon, 19 Sep 2022 23:22 UTC

On 9/19/2022 6:40 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> On 2022-09-19 08:30:41 +0000, Ubiquitous said:
>
>> What did you watch?
>
> I had to do my first batch of real weekend grading yesterday, so I
> mostly left LMN on in the background, and did that. So all I got through
> was soaps:
>
> soaps: DOOL (Peacock) - Fri's ep. EJ finally meets Stefan in person, who
> points out they've never actually met before! (I guess that's true!!)
> Kristen continues to make a mockery out of the custody hearing and the
> judge lets her get away with it; later, lawyer Belle offers Kristen a
> deal, but Kristen turns it down flat - Kristen wants Brady to dump
> Chloe, or else!! Chloe tells Brady about Stefan's visit. Li continues to
> gaslight Gabi. So did Ava kick him out afterall?! - Johnny goes to twin
> sister Allie and Chanel to beg for a place to stay, and mostly gets the
> cold shoulder.
>   GH - Fri's ep. Brando didn't die, and may be waking up at the end.
> Dante throws shade on Dex as the possible killer (I agree!!), and then
> goes to question Cody (who literally does have no motive!). Curtis
> throws shade on NuNuJordan, who later points out to Sonny that both Hook
> Killer (not a "killer" yet!!) victims had ties to him! Selena Wu and
> Britt have a convo; later Brad continues to push Cody on Britt. (Note:
> Britt I think is leaving the show in the next couple of months - still
> have no idea how they write her out!!)
>
> I'll get to "House of the Dragon" on Tuesday. I guess I'll start season
> #2 of "Fate: The Winx Saga" Monday night, if I can get to it...

I watched 'Zach Snyder's Justice League'. Four hours of a completely
different Justice League movie than what Whedon gave us. Same actors
playing the same characters but that's damn near the only thing the two
have in common. None of the juvenile humor. Flash was actually capable
of doing useful things. At least most of the time. MUCH more in
keeping with the first two DCEU movies. A LOT more world building, more
background on the new characters (Flash, Cyborg, Aquaman). Real set up
for a sequel. Watching it makes me realize that Whedon was trying to
make a MCU movie with DC characters. Snyder's JL is much better and if
it had been the one released in theatres the DCEU project might not have
fallen apart.

dirty old man.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-09-18 (Sunday)

<tgbf5o$1d1jt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=157412&group=rec.arts.tv#157412

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2022 15:51:55 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Mon, 19 Sep 2022 22:51 UTC

On 9/19/2022 3:09 PM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
>
>> I watched:
>
>> National Lampoon's Animal House (4K disc) 1978 college comedy directed
>> by John Landis, with an all star cast, about the worst fraternity on
>> campus that is placed on double secret probation by the dean. I'm not
>> sure if I've ever watched it all the way through before or not. I know
>> I've watched many clips of it over the years. But for all intents and
>> purposes this was a blind buy based on the movie's reputation (and I got
>> in on sale!) I guess it was OK.
>
> Oh, man. I love this movie. It warped my childhood.

For me that movie would have been Revenge of the Nerds.

> Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?
>
> Flounder killed Neidermeyer's horse!

I just kept thinking that's Vir Cotto.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-09-18 (Sunday)

<tgbfag$1d1jt$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=157413&group=rec.arts.tv#157413

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2022 21:24:47 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Tue, 20 Sep 2022 04:24 UTC

On 9/19/2022 4:22 PM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
> On 9/19/2022 6:40 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
>> On 2022-09-19 08:30:41 +0000, Ubiquitous said:
>>
>>> What did you watch?
>>
>> I had to do my first batch of real weekend grading yesterday, so I
>> mostly left LMN on in the background, and did that. So all I got
>> through was soaps:
>>
>> soaps: DOOL (Peacock) - Fri's ep. EJ finally meets Stefan in person,
>> who points out they've never actually met before! (I guess that's
>> true!!) Kristen continues to make a mockery out of the custody hearing
>> and the judge lets her get away with it; later, lawyer Belle offers
>> Kristen a deal, but Kristen turns it down flat - Kristen wants Brady
>> to dump Chloe, or else!! Chloe tells Brady about Stefan's visit. Li
>> continues to gaslight Gabi. So did Ava kick him out afterall?! -
>> Johnny goes to twin sister Allie and Chanel to beg for a place to
>> stay, and mostly gets the cold shoulder.
>>    GH - Fri's ep. Brando didn't die, and may be waking up at the end.
>> Dante throws shade on Dex as the possible killer (I agree!!), and then
>> goes to question Cody (who literally does have no motive!). Curtis
>> throws shade on NuNuJordan, who later points out to Sonny that both
>> Hook Killer (not a "killer" yet!!) victims had ties to him! Selena Wu
>> and Britt have a convo; later Brad continues to push Cody on Britt.
>> (Note: Britt I think is leaving the show in the next couple of months
>> - still have no idea how they write her out!!)
>>
>> I'll get to "House of the Dragon" on Tuesday. I guess I'll start
>> season #2 of "Fate: The Winx Saga" Monday night, if I can get to it...
>>
> I watched 'Zach Snyder's Justice League'.  Four hours of a completely
> different Justice League movie than what Whedon gave us.  Same actors
> playing the same characters but that's damn near the only thing the two
> have in common.  None of the juvenile humor.  Flash was actually capable
> of doing useful things.  At least most of the time.  MUCH more in
> keeping with the first two DCEU movies.  A LOT more world building, more
> background on the new characters (Flash, Cyborg, Aquaman).  Real set up
> for a sequel.  Watching it makes me realize that Whedon was trying to
> make a MCU movie with DC characters.  Snyder's JL is much better and if
> it had been the one released in theatres the DCEU project might not have
> fallen apart.

Agreed. So far I've only watched it once, but I'm eagerly looking
forward to watching it again.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-09-18 (Sunday)

<1128000306.685347085.754633.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=157418&group=rec.arts.tv#157418

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2022 23:13:43 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Tue, 20 Sep 2022 06:13 UTC

A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:
> In article <tga40l$15nag$1@dont-email.me>, Arthur Lipscomb
> <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
>
>> I watched:
>>
>> National Lampoon's Animal House (4K disc) 1978 college comedy directed
>> by John Landis, with an all star cast, about the worst fraternity on
>> campus that is placed on double secret probation by the dean. I'm not
>> sure if I've ever watched it all the way through before or not. I know
>> I've watched many clips of it over the years. But for all intents and
>> purposes this was a blind buy based on the movie's reputation (and I got
>> in on sale!) I guess it was OK.
>

> I saw Animal House in a theater when it first came out, and word hadn't
> quite gotten around yet. I have never sat in an audience that laughed
> so hard or so long, and it's been around 45 years since then.

Ditto

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-09-18 (Sunday)

<tgblnj$1de1k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=157420&group=rec.arts.tv#157420

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2022 06:14:11 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Tue, 20 Sep 2022 06:14 UTC

Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
>On 9/19/2022 3:09 PM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
>>Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>>>I watched:

>>>National Lampoon's Animal House (4K disc) 1978 college comedy directed
>>>by John Landis, with an all star cast, about the worst fraternity on
>>>campus that is placed on double secret probation by the dean. I'm not
>>>sure if I've ever watched it all the way through before or not. I know
>>>I've watched many clips of it over the years. But for all intents and
>>>purposes this was a blind buy based on the movie's reputation (and I got
>>>in on sale!) I guess it was OK.

>>Oh, man. I love this movie. It warped my childhood.

>For me that movie would have been Revenge of the Nerds.

>>Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

>>Flounder killed Neidermeyer's horse!

>I just kept thinking that's Vir Cotto.

It was hard to believe that Vir wasn't created for Stephen Furst to
perform. Did you ever read how he got cast?

Never had to read for the part of "Vir" in Babylon 5 (1993).
When he went to the audition, he saw that the other actors had
their hair done in the Centauri crest, while he didn't. A trip
to the bathroom to raid the soap dispenser and plaster his hair
up ended disastrously with his hair askew and tears running down
his face where the soap had gotten in his eyes. When he was
called in, he entered apologizing profusely in run-on sentences
for his appearance, whereupon the creator and producers looked
at each other and said, "Oh my God! It's Vir!" He asked if they
wanted him to read and they said no, he had the part.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-09-18 (Sunday)

<th4b9j$4mf$3@pcls7.std.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=158841&group=rec.arts.tv#158841

From: MDuP...@theworld.com.snip.to.reply (Micky DuPree)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2022 14:49:23 +0000 (UTC)
 by: Micky DuPree - Thu, 29 Sep 2022 14:49 UTC

Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> writes:

> Clerks III (theatrical) dramedy written and directed by Kevin Smith
> which reunites the original cast of Clerks for a nostalgia filled trip
> down memory lane. After Randal has a heart attack he decides to make
> a movie about what it was like working as a clerk. Wackiness ensues.
> Everyone from Clerks I and Clerks II returns. This is a must watch
> for fans of Clerks.

I just want to add that I'm not a fan of _Clerks I_, which was why I
skipped _Clerks II_, but I saw _Clerks III_ as a social outing, and
found it to be surprisingly substantive and enjoyable.

-Micky

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-09-18 (Sunday)

<th5b64$pj91$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=158908&group=rec.arts.tv#158908

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2022 16:53:39 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Thu, 29 Sep 2022 23:53 UTC

On 9/29/2022 7:49 AM, Micky DuPree wrote:
> Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> writes:
>
>> Clerks III (theatrical) dramedy written and directed by Kevin Smith
>> which reunites the original cast of Clerks for a nostalgia filled trip
>> down memory lane. After Randal has a heart attack he decides to make
>> a movie about what it was like working as a clerk. Wackiness ensues.
>> Everyone from Clerks I and Clerks II returns. This is a must watch
>> for fans of Clerks.
>
> I just want to add that I'm not a fan of _Clerks I_, which was why I
> skipped _Clerks II_, but I saw _Clerks III_ as a social outing, and
> found it to be surprisingly substantive and enjoyable.
>
> -Micky

I saw Clerks about a year after it came out on video. By then it was
already a pop culture hit, but I don't recall being overly impressed
with it. But as the years went on and I became a fan of Smith's other
work. I think starting with Dogma that's when I really took notice of
him, Clerks and his other work got grandfathered in as movies I was a
fan of.

A huge part of it it is much like the MCU, it's an interconnected
universe with the same characters popping up in different unrelated
movies. Before the MCU the closes thing I can recall to the same
character popping up in different things was the Munchverse, and that
was just TV.