From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: My state loses ground to California in the race to the bottom
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2022 05:14:22 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Fri, 23 Sep 2022 05:14 UTC

For some reason, voters get annoyed with our pre-indicted state
legislators for voting themselves pay rises. The state constitution is
no protection as the pay rise simply cannot take effect during the
current General Assembly. It gets voted in during the last days of the
old Assembly as there are still sessions after the election but before
the new crop of bastards have been sworn in. Obviously they should have
required that the vote take place prior to the election for a pay rise
that takes effect after the election.

They stopped voting on it entirely, introducing automatic pay rise
legislation that requires a vote to STOP the higher pay. Also,
individual legislatres can refuse the pay rise.

In a lawsuit, a number of former state legislators tried to accept the
pay rise after they were no longer running for political office despite
having refused the pay rise.

The case went to the state supreme court which told them to take a long
walk off a short pier. They don't get the pay rise having already
refused it.

Our state supreme court almost never takes the side of good government.
In the race to the bottom, my state just lost ground to California.