From: pwer...@gmail.com (Drew Nilium)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.comics.creative,alt.comics.lnh
Subject: LNH/META: What Else is an Elsewhirl?
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2022 01:33:59 -0000 (UTC)
Sender: eagle@eyrie.org
 by: Drew Nilium - Wed, 12 Oct 2022 01:33 UTC

This seems like a good subject to ride back in on!

So I was working on https://lnh.diamond-age.net/wiki/List_of_Elsewhirls , and I
was struck by a problem - what counts as an Elsewhirl? Obviously, anything
explicitly labeled as an Elsewhirl goes in, as does anything with "ELSE" in the
tags, but there's stories that don't have any of that that still clearly fit.

My immediate definition is: Any standalone story that doesn't fit cleanly into
the continuity of an existing imprint - that is, Classic LNH, LNH20, LNHY, LNH2,
NTB, etc. This doesn't count ongoing yet self-contained stuff. It's very
function-over-content, but that seems useful for the wiki, at least. X3

Drew "going to put Syrup of the Gods as one based on this" Nilium

Re: LNH/META: What Else is an Elsewhirl?

<ti7c2h$1j22o$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1566&group=rec.arts.comics.creative#1566

From: sei...@eilertech.com (Scott Eiler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.comics.creative,alt.comics.lnh
Subject: Re: LNH/META: What Else is an Elsewhirl?
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2022 21:37:28 -0000 (UTC)
Sender: eagle@eyrie.org
 by: Scott Eiler - Wed, 12 Oct 2022 21:37 UTC

On 2022-10-11 18:33, Drew Nilium wrote:
> My immediate definition is: Any standalone story that doesn't fit
> cleanly into the continuity of an existing imprint - that is, Classic
> LNH, LNH20, LNHY, LNH2, NTB, etc. This doesn't count ongoing yet
> self-contained stuff. It's very function-over-content, but that seems
> useful for the wiki, at least. X3
>
> Drew "going to put Syrup of the Gods as one based on this" Nilium

You may recall, SW10 is infamous for its reality shifts. (Most recently
by publication order, Powernaut 1944 / 2006.) Syrup of the Gods has the
distinction of being one of those also. (Who Killed the Cat with
Glasses is just a straightforward crossover.)

--
-- (signed) Scott Eiler 8{D> ------ http://www.eilertech.com/ -------

"Your Royal Highness, instead of devoting yourself exclusively
to Minerva, should, instead, rather offer sacrifice at the altars
of Bacchus, Orpheus, Venus, and Morpheus."

- Advice to Prince Duarte of Portugal. From "The golden age of
Prince Henry the Navigator", by Joaquim Pedro Oliveira Martins.
Coming soon to Project Gutenberg.

Re: LNH/META: What Else is an Elsewhirl?

<f63f8ff6-dc07-4859-a616-20bb702a6b64n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1579&group=rec.arts.comics.creative#1579

From: arspitz...@gmail.com (Arthur Spitzer)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.comics.creative
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2022 05:43:19 -0000 (UTC)
Sender: eagle@eyrie.org
d=1e100.net; s=20210112;
h=to:injection-date:from:subject:message-id:mime-version:user-agent
:references:nntp-posting-host:injection-info:in-reply-to:date
:newsgroups:path:x-gm-message-state:from:to:cc:subject:date
:message-id:reply-to;
bh=NYZR0VgJ/hRsR6bsm/V2i2T9eACjCFCPFI/dK35y++o=;
b=DI1zCQvt3NljlLYfguo1814yevTaE9D0wonTdCwOpi3GUxPKAP8AQvCIBtcsuAmJ0B
mf28Ob9PGZ5ksc5s061L7czo2Ld56PHkz84qDDCtmF0kUPaX6ttB6XEd1n7dO6ErLV9y
2PUOZU4aUyolXS78ihQBbWvP32zamGXg/lVHVD41BY7Ub4AVpTGGmwmBJI7YRi8QJBrc
1q9FMvH1ySnTPI+GBPyFVQ4cXcWyT0ZDnweOJsC0FyguANg5v9EDBteilNPOhXLoeRFt
J+/qBIsIlFtW7j6WZiQ3cVmvgWk7JwJ5DkYR339lFQ8umWhRVKjDX+OxJg/Vbq54DslO
AGTw==
 by: Arthur Spitzer - Thu, 27 Oct 2022 05:43 UTC

On Tuesday, October 11, 2022 at 6:34:01 PM UTC-7, Drew Perron wrote:
> This seems like a good subject to ride back in on!
>
> So I was working on https://lnh.diamond-age.net/wiki/List_of_Elsewhirls , and I
> was struck by a problem - what counts as an Elsewhirl? Obviously, anything
> explicitly labeled as an Elsewhirl goes in, as does anything with "ELSE" in the
> tags, but there's stories that don't have any of that that still clearly fit.
>
> My immediate definition is: Any standalone story that doesn't fit cleanly into
> the continuity of an existing imprint - that is, Classic LNH, LNH20, LNHY, LNH2,
> NTB, etc. This doesn't count ongoing yet self-contained stuff. It's very
> function-over-content, but that seems useful for the wiki, at least. X3
>
> Drew "going to put Syrup of the Gods as one based on this" Nilium

I guess a strict definition of Elsewhirl would be something that exists out of
continuity (Probably how Continuity Porn Star sees it).

I mean JONG #69 was an Elsewhirl, but did it stop being one when Non-Judgmental
Agnostic entered into the main timeline?

Syrup of Gods did have maintime line's The Mechanical Author in it (and one would
assume it all that happened in continuity -- that it went from being stuck in the Fourth
Wall to running its own perfect Universe at the end.)

Retcon Midnight happened because Pliable Lad was retconned in Retcon Hour. I guess
you have these either alternate futures or alternate timelines (like ones that popped in
and out of existence in Retcon Hour).

But if probably doesn't really matter.

Arthur "Whatever you want.." Spitzer

Re: LNH/META: What Else is an Elsewhirl?

<tjptkv$jv5q$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1580&group=rec.arts.comics.creative#1580

From: pwer...@gmail.com (Drew Nilium)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.comics.creative
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2022 01:44:05 -0000 (UTC)
Sender: eagle@eyrie.org
 by: Drew Nilium - Tue, 1 Nov 2022 01:44 UTC

On 10/27/22 1:43 AM, Arthur Spitzer wrote:
<snip>
> I guess a strict definition of Elsewhirl would be something that exists out of
> continuity (Probably how Continuity Porn Star sees it).
>
> I mean JONG #69 was an Elsewhirl, but did it stop being one when Non-Judgmental
> Agnostic entered into the main timeline?
>
> Syrup of Gods did have maintime line's The Mechanical Author in it (and one would
> assume it all that happened in continuity -- that it went from being stuck in the Fourth
> Wall to running its own perfect Universe at the end.)
>
> Retcon Midnight happened because Pliable Lad was retconned in Retcon Hour. I guess
> you have these either alternate futures or alternate timelines (like ones that popped in
> and out of existence in Retcon Hour).
>
> But if probably doesn't really matter.

Yeah, it's one of those weird things where you have to draw an arbitrary line in
order to fit it into a curative fandom mold. But the LNH thrives on taking
arbitrary lines and fucking around with them, so I'm glad to provide another to
play with. <3

> Arthur "Whatever you want.." Spitzer

Drew "w/e" Nilium