From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: "Rudy" on late night TV.
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2022 03:50:50 -0500
 by: trotsky - Sun, 25 Sep 2022 08:50 UTC

I caught the beginning of "Rudy" earlier on late night TV and was
surprised whilst watching the credits to see the director listed as
"Alan Smithee." The actual director was David Anspaugh, but, after
doing a trifle bit of googling I found this:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108002/crazycredits

This is one of the few films in which the infamous "Alan Smithee" is
given directorial credit for ONLY the commercial TV version. If viewed
on VHS, DVD, pay cable etc... David Anspaugh is given his proper credit
as director in the opening credits. However the editing for extra
commercials on the free TV version is done so heavily -which alters the
context- that Mr Smithee is the "director" when this film is shown there.

I watched it for five minutes and turned it off. Good movie which I
hadn't seen probably since when it first came out, but "heavily edited
by tv weasels" isn't my idea of a good time.