Charlie was a chemist, But Charlie is no more. For what he thought was H2O, Was H2SO4.

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: Too bad superhero characters are in the private domain for so long

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Too bad superhero characters are in the private domainanim8rfsk
`* Re: Too bad superhero characters are in the private domain for so longBTR1701
 `* Re: Too bad superhero characters are in the private domain for so longAdam H. Kerman
  `- Re: Too bad superhero characters are in the private domain for so longshawn

1
Re: Too bad superhero characters are in the private domain for so long

<591501094.685952146.325144.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=158423&group=rec.arts.tv#158423

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: Too bad superhero characters are in the private domain
for so long
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2022 23:19:05 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Tue, 27 Sep 2022 06:19 UTC

RichA <rander3128@gmail.com> wrote:
> You could really make mince-meat of their stories if they were in the
> public domain. Or, turn them BACK into American superheroes instead of
> what they've turned into today at the hands of the studio progressives.
> Batman won't be public domain until 2057. Peter Pan as a story has a
> "perpetual" copyright.

Not really. Peter Pan has a perpetual copyright but it only covers
performances of the play itself and even then only performances of the play
within the United Kingdom.

These are not superheroes but are in the public domain:

> Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. ...
> The Wonderful Wizard of Oz. ...
> The Little Mermaid. ...
> Rapunzel, Snow White, and Cinderella. ...
> Aladdin, Sinbad, and the Hunchback. ...
> Ebeneezer Scrooge. ...
> Classic Monsters. ...
> Sherlock Holmes.

Re: Too bad superhero characters are in the private domain for so long

<atropos-55B037.09093427092022@news.giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=158472&group=rec.arts.tv#158472

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: Too bad superhero characters are in the private domain for so long
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2022 09:10:09 -0700
 by: BTR1701 - Tue, 27 Sep 2022 16:10 UTC

In article
anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

> RichA <rander3128@gmail.com> wrote:
> > You could really make mince-meat of their stories if they were in the
> > public domain. Or, turn them BACK into American superheroes instead of
> > what they've turned into today at the hands of the studio progressives.
> > Batman won't be public domain until 2057. Peter Pan as a story has a
> > "perpetual" copyright.
>
> Not really. Peter Pan has a perpetual copyright but it only covers
> performances of the play itself and even then only performances of the play
> within the United Kingdom.

Well, we have perpetual copyright here in the U.S. as well. It's just
done in stages. Whenever Mickey Mouse gets close to the public domain,
Disney goes to DC and lathers up Congress with various oils and lotions
and bribes them to extend the copyright term for another half century or
so.

They do it this way because the Constitution prohibits them from just
outright making copyright infinite. The Copyright Clause says that the
copyright term can only be for "limited times", so Congress (and Disney)
are forced to do their infinite extension in chunks rather than just
make it forever.

Re: Too bad superhero characters are in the private domain for so long

<tgv9og$3oed$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=158484&group=rec.arts.tv#158484

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2022 16:52:33 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Tue, 27 Sep 2022 16:52 UTC

BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
>anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>>RichA <rander3128@gmail.com> wrote:

>>>You could really make mince-meat of their stories if they were in the
>>>public domain. Or, turn them BACK into American superheroes instead of
>>>what they've turned into today at the hands of the studio progressives.
>>>Batman won't be public domain until 2057. Peter Pan as a story has a
>>>"perpetual" copyright.

>>Not really. Peter Pan has a perpetual copyright but it only covers
>>performances of the play itself and even then only performances of the play
>>within the United Kingdom.

>Well, we have perpetual copyright here in the U.S. as well. It's just
>done in stages. Whenever Mickey Mouse gets close to the public domain,
>Disney goes to DC and lathers up Congress with various oils and lotions
>and bribes them to extend the copyright term for another half century or
>so.

>They do it this way because the Constitution prohibits them from just
>outright making copyright infinite. The Copyright Clause says that the
>copyright term can only be for "limited times", so Congress (and Disney)
>are forced to do their infinite extension in chunks rather than just
>make it forever.

Yeah, well, it was the fucking Roberts court (wasn't it a Roberts
opinion?) that said that the Founding Fathers didn't intend the word
"limited" to be a comparative term to the human lifespan, which is how
they've been allowed to get away with it.

I'm criticizing you for this, John Roberts, and you can mention me by name
the next time you give a nationally televised speech in which you complain
about people calling the Supreme Court illegitimate for failure to protect
the rights of individuals (and not corporations as in the case of
copyright law).

Re: Too bad superhero characters are in the private domain for so long

<h9j6jh596mh7nuqu564p1m5ba980gm7i77@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=158505&group=rec.arts.tv#158505

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2022 15:24:10 -0400
 by: shawn - Tue, 27 Sep 2022 19:24 UTC

On Tue, 27 Sep 2022 16:52:33 -0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman"
<ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

>BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
>>anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

>>>Not really. Peter Pan has a perpetual copyright but it only covers
>>>performances of the play itself and even then only performances of the play
>>>within the United Kingdom.
>
>>Well, we have perpetual copyright here in the U.S. as well. It's just
>>done in stages. Whenever Mickey Mouse gets close to the public domain,
>>Disney goes to DC and lathers up Congress with various oils and lotions
>>and bribes them to extend the copyright term for another half century or
>>so.
>
>>They do it this way because the Constitution prohibits them from just
>>outright making copyright infinite. The Copyright Clause says that the
>>copyright term can only be for "limited times", so Congress (and Disney)
>>are forced to do their infinite extension in chunks rather than just
>>make it forever.
>
>Yeah, well, it was the fucking Roberts court (wasn't it a Roberts
>opinion?) that said that the Founding Fathers didn't intend the word
>"limited" to be a comparative term to the human lifespan, which is how
>they've been allowed to get away with it.
>
>I'm criticizing you for this, John Roberts, and you can mention me by name
>the next time you give a nationally televised speech in which you complain
>about people calling the Supreme Court illegitimate for failure to protect
>the rights of individuals (and not corporations as in the case of
>copyright law).

Isn't it about time for them to extend the copyright duration again?
Seems like it was around 2024/26 that the current protections end.
Yes, just looked it up and it is in 2024 that Steamboat Willie enters
public domain so I expect to see Disney pushing for an extension in
the next year or so.