From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: [OT] Recommendation: Cunk on Earth
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2022 20:03:19 -0400
 by: Rhino - Thu, 29 Sep 2022 00:03 UTC

As recommendations go, this show will not be everyone's cup of tea by
any means. Diane Morgan is a British comedienne who has appeared in a
number of shows playing a variety of characters. Arguably, her best
known character was Philomena Cunk, who she has played in a number of
settings. Philomena Cunk is back now doing what she does best:
presenting documentaries as only she can.

If you've ever seen one of those British documentary series, the kind
that are typically presented by a noted academic like Alastair Cooke,
Simon Shamas, or others, and want to see them done mockumentary style, I
think you'll find Philomena Cunk to be quite entertaining. Essentially,
Philomena is an uneducated working class woman who has been persuaded to
present documentaries that center around interviewing top experts on
things about which she knows almost nothing.

To get a taste for what I'm talking about, one of her older series of
Cunk videos is called Moments of Wonder that are very short (under 5
minutes). Here is the first one of that series:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvpbW7JRu0Q

If you look at that and like it, and enjoy some of the others in the
series, you'll probably like Cunk on Earth. Otherwise, you probably
don't want to bother tracking down Cunk on Earth, which is "on the gray"
as we say in the newsgroup. (It might also be on BBC Americas but I
don't have that so can't say for sure.)

The first season of Cunk on Earth was only shown on BBC quite recently
and consists of 5 thirty-minute episodes so it's not a huge investment
in time if you like that kind of humour.

--
Rhino

Re: [OT] Recommendation: Cunk on Earth

<8it9jh595o3mugeebn1uf6k0l9cvc7n991@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=159616&group=rec.arts.tv#159616

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: [OT] Recommendation: Cunk on Earth
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2022 12:43:02 -0400
 by: shawn - Wed, 5 Oct 2022 16:43 UTC

On Wed, 28 Sep 2022 20:03:19 -0400, Rhino
<no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:

>As recommendations go, this show will not be everyone's cup of tea by
>any means. Diane Morgan is a British comedienne who has appeared in a
>number of shows playing a variety of characters. Arguably, her best
>known character was Philomena Cunk, who she has played in a number of
>settings. Philomena Cunk is back now doing what she does best:
>presenting documentaries as only she can.

I've enjoyed her performances as Philomena Cunk. My only problem with
this new series is it isn't compelling enough for me as there's no
real new ground being told here.

>If you've ever seen one of those British documentary series, the kind
>that are typically presented by a noted academic like Alastair Cooke,
>Simon Shamas, or others, and want to see them done mockumentary style, I
>think you'll find Philomena Cunk to be quite entertaining. Essentially,
>Philomena is an uneducated working class woman who has been persuaded to
>present documentaries that center around interviewing top experts on
>things about which she knows almost nothing.
>
>To get a taste for what I'm talking about, one of her older series of
>Cunk videos is called Moments of Wonder that are very short (under 5
>minutes). Here is the first one of that series:
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvpbW7JRu0Q
>
>If you look at that and like it, and enjoy some of the others in the
>series, you'll probably like Cunk on Earth. Otherwise, you probably
>don't want to bother tracking down Cunk on Earth, which is "on the gray"
>as we say in the newsgroup. (It might also be on BBC Americas but I
>don't have that so can't say for sure.)
>
>The first season of Cunk on Earth was only shown on BBC quite recently
>and consists of 5 thirty-minute episodes so it's not a huge investment
>in time if you like that kind of humour.

Re: [OT] Recommendation: Cunk on Earth

<thks4v$32ngr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=159656&group=rec.arts.tv#159656

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2022 17:15:07 -0400
 by: Rhino - Wed, 5 Oct 2022 21:15 UTC

On 2022-10-05 12:43 PM, shawn wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Sep 2022 20:03:19 -0400, Rhino
> <no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:
>
>> As recommendations go, this show will not be everyone's cup of tea by
>> any means. Diane Morgan is a British comedienne who has appeared in a
>> number of shows playing a variety of characters. Arguably, her best
>> known character was Philomena Cunk, who she has played in a number of
>> settings. Philomena Cunk is back now doing what she does best:
>> presenting documentaries as only she can.
>
> I've enjoyed her performances as Philomena Cunk. My only problem with
> this new series is it isn't compelling enough for me as there's no
> real new ground being told here.

Fair enough. I agree that there is not a lot new in this series if
you've seen her playing Cunk before.