If you aren't rich you should always look useful. -- Louis-Ferdinand Celine

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-09-28 (Wednesday)

SubjectAuthor
* What Did You Watch? 2022-09-28 (Wednesday)Ubiquitous
`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-09-28 (Wednesday)Ian J. Ball
 +- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-09-28 (Wednesday)anim8rfsk
 +* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-09-28 (Wednesday)Arthur Lipscomb
 |`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-09-28 (Wednesday)anim8rfsk
 | `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-09-28 (Wednesday)Arthur Lipscomb
 |  +- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-09-28 (Wednesday)A Friend
 |  `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-09-28 (Wednesday)anim8rfsk
 `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-09-28 (Wednesday)Adam H. Kerman

1
What Did You Watch? 2022-09-28 (Wednesday)

<UBI20220928@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=158826&group=rec.arts.tv#158826

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: What Did You Watch? 2022-09-28 (Wednesday)
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2022 04:30:41 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Thu, 29 Sep 2022 08:30 UTC

On game night, I watched:

Nothing.

What did you watch?

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-09-28 (Wednesday)

<th46p3$lrm3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=158835&group=rec.arts.tv#158835

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-09-28 (Wednesday)
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2022 06:32:19 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Thu, 29 Sep 2022 13:32 UTC

On 2022-09-29 08:30:41 +0000, Ubiquitous said:

> What did you watch?

Just:

soaps: DOOL - That was disappointing - Clyde didn't die; and then to
cap things off, he's a irredeemable asshole to Jack - I hope somebody
does kill him. Chad and EJ give their stories to Shawn, with Belle as
their "lawyer" - based on the story (which was basically true), it
doesn't look like either will be charged. Meanwhile, Gwen is hit by a
car and seriously injured, and the car was almost certainly driven by
stoned NuJennifer - I love how this means "angel Abby" actually led
Jennifer to drive the car and hit Gwen! Some "angel"!! Later, Xander
and Dr. Sarah look over Gwen as she comes to.
GH - I did love Sonny giving Dex the "rough stuff"! - Dex continues
to deny being the Hook Killer, but Dex *is* lying to Sonny. I hope
Sonny breaks him!! Meanwhile, Michael tips off his hand by showing up
and asking Sonny about what happened to Dex! Joss and Dante discuss
whether Dex might be the Hook Killer... NuNuJordan confronts Portia
about Curtis being Trina's real father(!! wha...?!!), while Portia
confronts Jordan about still being "into" Curtis - this ended up being
a draw. Curtis convinces Ava to "fire" Trina for Trina's safety.

The Imperfects (Netflix) - "One of Us" (ep. #4). I liked this ep quite
a bit more than ep. #3. But I don't like how this show has kind of
settled into an "episodic groove"...
In Portland, Juan bonds with his estranged brother and his niece,
and is eventually confronted by a dude impersonating an agent, who
works for an outfit called "Flux", and attacks him as "chupacabra" and
bites off his nose! (The fake agent vows to kil Juan at episode's end!)
Note that Juan's girlfriend, Darcy, served him up to the fake agent in
a fit of jealousy over Tilda - clearly Darcy is a "crazy girlfriend"!
Tilda, Abbi and Burke come across another of Dr. Sarkov's former
patients, Owen, whose "power" is invulnerability. He explains to Tilda
that he is a "superhero", but Tilda ridicules the claim!! Later, Owen's
excess copper affliction nearly drives him mad and he tries to attack
them, but Burke and Abby devise an impromptu "treatment" (poison?!)
that cuts some of Owen's copper levels down, rendering him sane. Owen
eventually leaves on his own, as he doesn't want a "cure" for his power!
The Imperfects realize by the end that they are being "hunted" by
fake "law-enforcement agents" who are working for the shadowy "Flux".
Also, Burke is informed that Dr. Yake was murdered (in the previous
episode), so they also know that someone is killing scientists related
to Sarkov. Hannah Moore is made aware of this too, but escapes before
Burke, Abbi and Tilda can find out what Hannah is up to.

I guess there wasn't a new "Stargirl" last night? My DVR didn't record
an episode, and I notice next week's episode is #3.5...

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-09-28 (Wednesday)

<365137514.686163562.035612.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=158849&group=rec.arts.tv#158849

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2022 10:01:58 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Thu, 29 Sep 2022 17:01 UTC

Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
> On 2022-09-29 08:30:41 +0000, Ubiquitous said:
>
>> What did you watch?
>
> Just:
>

> I guess there wasn't a new "Stargirl" last night? My DVR didn't record
> an episode,

Neither did mine

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-09-28 (Wednesday)

<th4pdj$nl4r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=158861&group=rec.arts.tv#158861

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2022 11:50:27 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Thu, 29 Sep 2022 18:50 UTC

On 9/29/2022 6:32 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> On 2022-09-29 08:30:41 +0000, Ubiquitous said:
>
>> What did you watch?
>
> Just:
>
> soaps: DOOL - That was disappointing - Clyde didn't die; and then to cap
> things off, he's a irredeemable asshole to Jack - I hope somebody does
> kill him. Chad and EJ give their stories to Shawn, with Belle as their
> "lawyer" - based on the story (which was basically true), it doesn't
> look like either will be charged. Meanwhile, Gwen is hit by a car and
> seriously injured, and the car was almost certainly driven by stoned
> NuJennifer - I love how this means "angel Abby" actually led Jennifer to
> drive the car and hit Gwen! Some "angel"!! Later, Xander and Dr. Sarah
> look over Gwen as she comes to.
>   GH - I did love Sonny giving Dex the "rough stuff"! - Dex continues
> to deny being the Hook Killer, but Dex *is* lying to Sonny. I hope Sonny
> breaks him!! Meanwhile, Michael tips off his hand by showing up and
> asking Sonny about what happened to Dex! Joss and Dante discuss whether
> Dex might be the Hook Killer... NuNuJordan confronts Portia about Curtis
> being Trina's real father(!! wha...?!!), while Portia confronts Jordan
> about still being "into" Curtis - this ended up being a draw. Curtis
> convinces Ava to "fire" Trina for Trina's safety.
>
> The Imperfects (Netflix) - "One of Us" (ep. #4). I liked this ep quite a
> bit more than ep. #3. But I don't like how this show has kind of settled
> into an "episodic groove"...
>   In Portland, Juan bonds with his estranged brother and his niece, and
> is eventually confronted by a dude impersonating an agent, who works for
> an outfit called "Flux", and attacks him as "chupacabra" and bites off
> his nose! (The fake agent vows to kil Juan at episode's end!) Note that
> Juan's girlfriend, Darcy, served him up to the fake agent in a fit of
> jealousy over Tilda - clearly Darcy is a "crazy girlfriend"!
>   Tilda, Abbi and Burke come across another of Dr. Sarkov's former
> patients, Owen, whose "power" is invulnerability. He explains to Tilda
> that he is a "superhero", but Tilda ridicules the claim!! Later, Owen's
> excess copper affliction nearly drives him mad and he tries to attack
> them, but Burke and Abby devise an impromptu "treatment" (poison?!) that
> cuts some of Owen's copper levels down, rendering him sane. Owen
> eventually leaves on his own, as he doesn't want a "cure" for his power!
>   The Imperfects realize by the end that they are being "hunted" by
> fake "law-enforcement agents" who are working for the shadowy "Flux".
> Also, Burke is informed that Dr. Yake was murdered (in the previous
> episode), so they also know that someone is killing scientists related
> to Sarkov. Hannah Moore is made aware of this too, but escapes before
> Burke, Abbi and Tilda can find out what Hannah is up to.
>
> I guess there wasn't a new "Stargirl" last night? My DVR didn't record
> an episode, and I notice next week's episode is #3.5...

I was checking and was a little confused at first when my DVR said I
hadn't watched episode 3.4 from a week ago, but it turns out I simply
haven't watched episode 3.4 yet. I'll probably watch next week back to
back with 3.5.

I watched:

Andor (Disney+) - "Aldhani" - Episode 4. Andor gets brought in on a
mission as a paid mercenary, but the true believers are suspicious when
they see him show up at the last minute. Meanwhile Rael and Mon Monthma
try to discuss secret rebel business without getting caught by the many
spies hanging around. Another solid episode and it was full length.

Blonde (Netflix streaming) New biopic starring Ana de Armas as Marilyn
Monroe. The movie tracks her life as a young girl sent to an orphanage
after her mother has a mental breakdown, through her rise in Hollywood,
apparently by sleeping her way to the top, to her marriage to an abusive
husband, and finally affair with President Kennedy. However, I am sad
to say this was not very good. It was a pretentious art house movie,
full of switching between color and black and white and even constantly
switching aspect ratios for no good reason. The plot was a muddled mess
and you could clearly see the director was going with style over
substance. And at just under 3 hours it was a real chore to get through
it all. I had been looking forward to this, but it was a serious
disappointment.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-09-28 (Wednesday)

<th4q12$nqjm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=158865&group=rec.arts.tv#158865

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2022 19:00:50 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Thu, 29 Sep 2022 19:00 UTC

Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:

>. . .

>I guess there wasn't a new "Stargirl" last night? My DVR didn't record
>an episode, and I notice next week's episode is #3.5...

A repeat was scheduled.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-09-28 (Wednesday)

<1505418319.686174368.261681.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=158881&group=rec.arts.tv#158881

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2022 13:36:04 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Thu, 29 Sep 2022 20:36 UTC

Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
> [...]
> back with 3.5.
>

> I watched:
>

> Blonde (Netflix streaming) New biopic starring Ana de Armas as Marilyn
> Monroe. The movie tracks her life as a young girl sent to an orphanage
> after her mother has a mental breakdown, through her rise in Hollywood,
> apparently by sleeping her way to the top, to her marriage to an abusive
> husband, and finally affair with President Kennedy. However, I am sad
> to say this was not very good. It was a pretentious art house movie,
> full of switching between color and black and white and even constantly
> switching aspect ratios for no good reason. The plot was a muddled mess
> and you could clearly see the director was going with style over
> substance. And at just under 3 hours it was a real chore to get through
> it all. I had been looking forward to this, but it was a serious

Agreed all the way around. I’ve got just a few minutes left to go. I just
spent five minutes watching her look around the house for her wallet so she
could tip a delivery boy. The only good thing you can say is that Ana de
Armas is naked a lot. But even that is minimized by being spread out
across the 17 hour and 79 minute running time. And now she’s dying, nudely
nekkid but completely out of focus.

Ob Veeus chose not to watch this because of the extreme running time and
went for The Muensters instead. It’s hard to say which of us suffered the
most.

I was wondering if this was supposed to be the same son of Charlie Chaplin
that we met in SUNSET but none of Chaplin’s three sons could’ve been the
guy in this movie or for that matter the guy in sunset. There is however a
plausible real life Edward G Robinson Junior.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-09-28 (Wednesday)

<th5cbr$pj91$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=158909&group=rec.arts.tv#158909

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2022 17:13:46 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Fri, 30 Sep 2022 00:13 UTC

On 9/29/2022 1:36 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

snip

>> I watched:
>>

>> Blonde (Netflix streaming) New biopic starring Ana de Armas as Marilyn
>> Monroe. The movie tracks her life as a young girl sent to an orphanage
>> after her mother has a mental breakdown, through her rise in Hollywood,
>> apparently by sleeping her way to the top, to her marriage to an abusive
>> husband, and finally affair with President Kennedy. However, I am sad
>> to say this was not very good. It was a pretentious art house movie,
>> full of switching between color and black and white and even constantly
>> switching aspect ratios for no good reason. The plot was a muddled mess
>> and you could clearly see the director was going with style over
>> substance. And at just under 3 hours it was a real chore to get through
>> it all. I had been looking forward to this, but it was a serious
>> disappointment.
>
> Agreed all the way around. I’ve got just a few minutes left to go. I just
> spent five minutes watching her look around the house for her wallet so she
> could tip a delivery boy. The only good thing you can say is that Ana de
> Armas is naked a lot. But even that is minimized by being spread out
> across the 17 hour and 79 minute running time. And now she’s dying, nudely
> nekkid but completely out of focus.
>
> Ob Veeus chose not to watch this because of the extreme running time and
> went for The Muensters instead. It’s hard to say which of us suffered the
> most.
>
> I was wondering if this was supposed to be the same son of Charlie Chaplin
> that we met in SUNSET but none of Chaplin’s three sons could’ve been the
> guy in this movie or for that matter the guy in sunset. There is however a
> plausible real life Edward G Robinson Junior.

I'm glad you mentioned them. I was really curious about those two. I
looked up Chaplin Jr. on wiki and didn't see anything about him dating
Monroe. And I didn't see anything in her profile about dating him. I
wasn't sure of the name of the second guy. But wiki does say Robinson
Jr. did date Monroe.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-09-28 (Wednesday)

<290920222023325781%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=158911&group=rec.arts.tv#158911

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2022 20:23:32 -0400
 by: A Friend - Fri, 30 Sep 2022 00:23 UTC

In article <th5cbr$pj91$2@dont-email.me>, Arthur Lipscomb
<arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

> On 9/29/2022 1:36 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> > Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

> snip
> >>

> >> I watched:
> >>

> >> Blonde (Netflix streaming) New biopic starring Ana de Armas as Marilyn
> >> Monroe. The movie tracks her life as a young girl sent to an orphanage
> >> after her mother has a mental breakdown, through her rise in Hollywood,
> >> apparently by sleeping her way to the top, to her marriage to an abusive
> >> husband, and finally affair with President Kennedy. However, I am sad
> >> to say this was not very good. It was a pretentious art house movie,
> >> full of switching between color and black and white and even constantly
> >> switching aspect ratios for no good reason. The plot was a muddled mess
> >> and you could clearly see the director was going with style over
> >> substance. And at just under 3 hours it was a real chore to get through
> >> it all. I had been looking forward to this, but it was a serious
> >> disappointment.
> >
> > Agreed all the way around. I¹ve got just a few minutes left to go. I just
> > spent five minutes watching her look around the house for her wallet so she
> > could tip a delivery boy. The only good thing you can say is that Ana de
> > Armas is naked a lot. But even that is minimized by being spread out
> > across the 17 hour and 79 minute running time. And now she¹s dying, nudely
> > nekkid but completely out of focus.
> >
> > Ob Veeus chose not to watch this because of the extreme running time and
> > went for The Muensters instead. It¹s hard to say which of us suffered the
> > most.
> >
> > I was wondering if this was supposed to be the same son of Charlie Chaplin
> > that we met in SUNSET but none of Chaplin¹s three sons could¹ve been the
> > guy in this movie or for that matter the guy in sunset. There is however a
> > plausible real life Edward G Robinson Junior.
> >

> I'm glad you mentioned them. I was really curious about those two. I
> looked up Chaplin Jr. on wiki and didn't see anything about him dating
> Monroe. And I didn't see anything in her profile about dating him. I
> wasn't sure of the name of the second guy. But wiki does say Robinson
> Jr. did date Monroe.

Edward G. Robinson Jr. is (briefly) in the 1950s INVASION U.S.A. as a
Communist spy working in a U.S. factory.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-09-28 (Wednesday)

<2060842126.686197457.029796.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=158915&group=rec.arts.tv#158915

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2022 19:33:43 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Fri, 30 Sep 2022 02:33 UTC

Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
> On 9/29/2022 1:36 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>> Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

> snip
>>>

>>> I watched:
>>>

>>> Blonde (Netflix streaming) New biopic starring Ana de Armas as Marilyn
>>> Monroe. The movie tracks her life as a young girl sent to an orphanage
>>> after her mother has a mental breakdown, through her rise in Hollywood,
>>> apparently by sleeping her way to the top, to her marriage to an abusive
>>> husband, and finally affair with President Kennedy. However, I am sad
>>> to say this was not very good. It was a pretentious art house movie,
>>> full of switching between color and black and white and even constantly
>>> switching aspect ratios for no good reason. The plot was a muddled mess
>>> and you could clearly see the director was going with style over
>>> substance. And at just under 3 hours it was a real chore to get through
>>> it all. I had been looking forward to this, but it was a serious
>>> disappointment.
>>
>> Agreed all the way around. I’ve got just a few minutes left to go. I just
>> spent five minutes watching her look around the house for her wallet so she
>> could tip a delivery boy. The only good thing you can say is that Ana de
>> Armas is naked a lot. But even that is minimized by being spread out
>> across the 17 hour and 79 minute running time. And now she’s dying, nudely
>> nekkid but completely out of focus.
>>
>> Ob Veeus chose not to watch this because of the extreme running time and
>> went for The Muensters instead. It’s hard to say which of us suffered the
>> most.
>>
>> I was wondering if this was supposed to be the same son of Charlie Chaplin
>> that we met in SUNSET but none of Chaplin’s three sons could’ve been the
>> guy in this movie or for that matter the guy in sunset. There is however a
>> plausible real life Edward G Robinson Junior.
>>

> I'm glad you mentioned them. I was really curious about those two. I
> looked up Chaplin Jr. on wiki and didn't see anything about him dating
> Monroe. And I didn't see anything in her profile about dating him. I
> wasn't sure of the name of the second guy. But wiki does say Robinson
> Jr. did date Monroe.

Yes but the oldest Chaplin son was born in 1944. He’d have still been a
teenager when Monroe died. Charlie had his kids late in life. That’s what
totally messes up sunset.