From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.sf.movies
Subject: "Earth Helpless Against Giant Asteroids As NASA Simulation Ends In
Doom"
Date: Tue, 4 May 2021 13:59:54 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Tue, 4 May 2021 18:59 UTC

"Earth Helpless Against Giant Asteroids As NASA Simulation Ends In Doom"
https://www.zerohedge.com/technology/earth-helpless-against-giant-asteroids-nasa-simulation-ends-doom

"According to simulations conducted by leading space agencies, Earth
lacks the technology to stop a massive asteroid from wiping out Europe,
according to the Independent.
The week-long exercise led by Nasa concluded that catastrophe would
be unavoidable, even given six months to prepare.
The hypothetical impact scenario, which took place during a
planetary defence conference hosted by the United Nations, proved that
governments are woefully unprepared for this kind of disaster. -Independent
"If confronted with the scenario in real life, we would not be able to
launch any spacecraft on such short notice with current capabilities,"
said the participants.
According to the report, the only thing humanity could do in such an
event is to evacuate the area before the asteroid hit - though the
scenario's impact zone was across a large swath of North Africa and Europe."

Yup. As Ryk Spoor just so excitingly pointed out in his recent
"Castaway Resolution" book, giant asteroids are ELE (extinction level
events) for land dwellers.
https://www.amazon.com/Castaway-Resolution-Boundary-Eric-Flint/dp/1982125322/

And my favorite asteroid movie is "Deep Impact" with "When Worlds
Collide" as a close second.
https://www.amazon.com/Deep-Impact-Blu-ray-Morgan-Freeman/dp/B002DMJLTE/
and
https://www.amazon.com/When-Worlds-Collide-Blu-ray-Richard/dp/B091F3MT1L/

Lynn

Re: "Earth Helpless Against Giant Asteroids As NASA Simulation Ends In Doom"

<s6sao8$h2e$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=159&group=rec.arts.sf.movies#159

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.sf.movies
Subject: Re: "Earth Helpless Against Giant Asteroids As NASA Simulation Ends
In Doom"
Date: Tue, 4 May 2021 15:27:49 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Tue, 4 May 2021 20:27 UTC

On 5/4/2021 1:59 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> "Earth Helpless Against Giant Asteroids As NASA Simulation Ends In Doom"
>
> https://www.zerohedge.com/technology/earth-helpless-against-giant-asteroids-nasa-simulation-ends-doom
>

> "According to simulations conducted by leading space agencies, Earth
> lacks the technology to stop a massive asteroid from wiping out Europe,
> according to the Independent.
>    The week-long exercise led by Nasa concluded that catastrophe would
> be unavoidable, even given six months to prepare.
>    The hypothetical impact scenario, which took place during a
> planetary defence conference hosted by the United Nations, proved that
> governments are woefully unprepared for this kind of disaster. -Independent
> "If confronted with the scenario in real life, we would not be able to
> launch any spacecraft on such short notice with current capabilities,"
> said the participants.
> According to the report, the only thing humanity could do in such an
> event is to evacuate the area before the asteroid hit - though the
> scenario's impact zone was across a large swath of North Africa and
> Europe."
>
> Yup.  As Ryk Spoor just so excitingly pointed out in his recent
> "Castaway Resolution" book, giant asteroids are ELE (extinction level
> events) for land dwellers.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/Castaway-Resolution-Boundary-Eric-Flint/dp/1982125322/
>

> And my favorite asteroid movie is "Deep Impact" with "When Worlds
> Collide" as a close second.
>   https://www.amazon.com/Deep-Impact-Blu-ray-Morgan-Freeman/dp/B002DMJLTE/
> and
>
> https://www.amazon.com/When-Worlds-Collide-Blu-ray-Richard/dp/B091F3MT1L/
>
> Lynn

…with “When Worlds Collide” as a close second.

BTW, I have both Worlds Collide books in my SBR (strategic book reserve).
https://www.amazon.com/Worlds-Collide-Philip-Balmer-Edwin/dp/0446521809/
and
https://www.amazon.com/After-Worlds-Collide-Philip-1966-01-01/dp/B01A1NP410/

Hopefully we will get enough notice that I can read them both.

Lynn

arts / rec.arts.sf.movies / Re: "Earth Helpless Against Giant Asteroids As NASA Simulation Ends In Doom"