Every cloud engenders not a storm. -- William Shakespeare, "Henry VI"

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: How do producers cast TV shows? "Wanted, person to play police captain. Whites need not apply?" '

SubjectAuthor
* Re: How do producers cast TV shows? "Wanted, person to playanim8rfsk
+- Re: How do producers cast TV shows? "Wanted, person to play police captain. WhitYour Name
`* Re: How do producers cast TV shows? "Wanted, person to playBTR1701
 `- Re: How do producers cast TV shows? "Wanted, person to playanim8rfsk

1
Re: How do producers cast TV shows? "Wanted, person to play police captain. Whites need not apply?" '

<2040154498.686880015.120346.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=159879&group=rec.arts.tv#159879

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: How do producers cast TV shows? "Wanted, person to play
police captain. Whites need not apply?" '
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2022 17:07:56 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sat, 8 Oct 2022 00:07 UTC

RichA <rander3128@gmail.com> wrote:
> I mean, it would seem like a bad idea to simply invite everyone then
> outright reject people based on skin color, especially since they had a
> specific type in mind. Or, do they do it like this: "Wanted, person to
> play police captain. Must be black."

I’ve been in meetings where they sit around a table and somebody says “OK
which one of them do we make black“
And it goes to the casting Director or department with that note.

Remember Dino DeLaurentis’ king Kong? They put an ad in the trades for
athletic black man to appear in the movie. For some bizarre reason somebody
decided they meant to play apes and caused a huge hubbub. What they were
actually looking for were skull island dancers.

Re: How do producers cast TV shows? "Wanted, person to play police captain. Whites need not apply?" '

<thqg0t$lfl$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=159885&group=rec.arts.tv#159885

From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: How do producers cast TV shows? "Wanted, person to play police captain. Whites need not apply?" '
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2022 13:25:01 +1300
 by: Your Name - Sat, 8 Oct 2022 00:25 UTC

On 2022-10-08 00:07:56 +0000, anim8rfsk said:
> RichA <rander3128@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I mean, it would seem like a bad idea to simply invite everyone then
>> outright reject people based on skin color, especially since they had a
>> specific type in mind. Or, do they do it like this: "Wanted, person to
>> play police captain. Must be black."
>
> I’ve been in meetings where they sit around a table and somebody says “OK
> which one of them do we make black“
> And it goes to the casting Director or department with that note.
>
> Remember Dino DeLaurentis’ king Kong? They put an ad in the trades for
> athletic black man to appear in the movie. For some bizarre reason somebody
> decided they meant to play apes and caused a huge hubbub. What they were
> actually looking for were skull island dancers.

In many places it's illegal to advertise jobs for specific races,
genders, ages, etc., yet companies are now being forced into hiring a
certain percentage of non-white / female / gay people. That means the
only way they can appease both is to let anyone apply and then simply
turn down the white males ... but of course the two-faced blinkered
"Politically Correct" morons don't actually see that as also being
racist / etc. unless it says "white male". As long as they are the ones
getting preferential treatment, it's okay. :-\

Anyone with a micromilligram of common sense would simply hire the best
person for a job (which in some cases means it does have to be a white
male, especially for established entertainment characters!), and the
"Politically Correct" numbnuts can simply f' off.

Re: How do producers cast TV shows? "Wanted, person to play police captain. Whites need not apply?" '

<f_6dnZ1IpsqtU93-nZ2dnZfqnPhi4p2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=159893&group=rec.arts.tv#159893

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
police captain. Whites need not apply?" '
From: no_em...@invalid.invalid (BTR1701)
Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2022 01:11:12 +0000
 by: BTR1701 - Sat, 8 Oct 2022 01:11 UTC

anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
> RichA <rander3128@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I mean, it would seem like a bad idea to simply invite everyone then
>> outright reject people based on skin color, especially since they had a
>> specific type in mind. Or, do they do it like this: "Wanted, person to
>> play police captain. Must be black."
>>

> I’ve been in meetings where they sit around a table and somebody says “OK
> which one of them do we make black“
> And it goes to the casting Director or department with that note.
>
> Remember Dino DeLaurentis’ king Kong? They put an ad in the trades for
> athletic black man to appear in the movie. For some bizarre reason somebody
> decided they meant to play apes and caused a huge hubbub. What they were
> actually looking for were skull island dancers.

About two weeks ago on CHICAGO PD, they introduced a new detective, who
was, of course, a bipock. Then this week, one of the original characters
turned in his badge and left Chicago and hence left the show. He was a
white male. I can practically hear the high fives in the writers room--
"Whoo-hoo! Got rid of another white guy and replaced him with a brown one!"

Re: How do producers cast TV shows? "Wanted, person to play police captain. Whites need not apply?" '

<808887517.686903163.283341.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=159926&group=rec.arts.tv#159926

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
police captain. Whites need not apply?" '
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2022 23:26:39 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sat, 8 Oct 2022 06:26 UTC

BTR1701 <no_email@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>> RichA <rander3128@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I mean, it would seem like a bad idea to simply invite everyone then
>>> outright reject people based on skin color, especially since they had a
>>> specific type in mind. Or, do they do it like this: "Wanted, person to
>>> play police captain. Must be black."
>>>

>> I’ve been in meetings where they sit around a table and somebody says “OK
>> which one of them do we make black“
>> And it goes to the casting Director or department with that note.
>>
>> Remember Dino DeLaurentis’ king Kong? They put an ad in the trades for
>> athletic black man to appear in the movie. For some bizarre reason somebody
>> decided they meant to play apes and caused a huge hubbub. What they were
>> actually looking for were skull island dancers.
>
> About two weeks ago on CHICAGO PD, they introduced a new detective, who
> was, of course, a bipock. Then this week, one of the original characters
> turned in his badge and left Chicago and hence left the show. He was a
> white male. I can practically hear the high fives in the writers room--
> "Whoo-hoo! Got rid of another white guy and replaced him with a brown one!"

Pretty soon we’ll be able to crew the love boat!