"When people are least sure, they are often most dogmatic." -- John Kenneth Galbraith

arts / alt.arts.poetry.comments / White Waltz

SubjectAuthor
* White WaltzIlya Shambat
+* Re: White WaltzEdward Rochester Esq.
|`* Re: White WaltzNancyGene
| `* Re: White WaltzEdward Rochester Esq.
|  `* Re: White WaltzNancyGene
|   +- Re: White WaltzEdward Rochester Esq.
|   `- Re: White WaltzEdward Rochester Esq.
+* Re: White WaltzVictor H.
+* Re: White Waltzjdcha...@gmail.com
|`* Re: White WaltzW-Dockery
| `* Re: White Waltzjdcha...@gmail.com
|  `- Forgery and Identity Theft flagged (Was: Re: White Waltz)Will Dockery
`- Re: White WaltzVictor H.

1
White Waltz

<f9c49bd7-e421-4daf-9f40-3349a5a72480n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=159999&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#159999

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2022 15:41:14 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: White Waltz
From: ibsham...@gmail.com (Ilya Shambat)
 by: Ilya Shambat - Mon, 25 Jul 2022 22:41 UTC

O what a ball! Intensity of movement, nerves and sound!
The hearts were beating in three beats and not in twain.
And ladies were inviting gentlemen
To a traditional white waltz - and took the breath away.

And you, that dance with sorrow together,
Decided to invite that one girl long ago -
But you must always leave to go somewhere -
To help somebody or to ready for a war.

And all, still closer, the more real it becomes,
She, one with whom you had intended to come in,
She comes in order to invite you to the waltz -
And in your temple blood was pounding.

Externally calm in a ball full of noise,
You're given away by the shadow of yours -
She tore, and broke, and trembled in blurry light, as you spun.
Held gently by the hand, and whirling her like mad,
And you could have put her across a knife's blade
So why do you stand, crossing arms, not your own and no one's?

It was white waltz - the end to doubts of unbelievers
An end of childhood consolations, dreams and games -
Today the ladies were inviting cavaliers
And not because the latter weren't brave.

The ladies are called forth in time of ball
And waltz spins heads around, like long before.
But we must always answer someone's call -
To help somebody or get ready for a war.

Whiter than snow is the white waltz, spin now, strive!
That snow does not get interrupted as it falls!
She came in order to invite you to a life -
And you were white - whiter than walls, whiter than waltz!

Wherever you were - in the lyceum, in the tavern -
In palace halls, in school - whatever luck despite -
In Russia ladies were inviting gentlemen
In every age to the white waltz, and all was white.

Dulling the sight, not looking to each side,
Through the despair, silence, quiet, resignation,
The women hurried to come to our aid -
Their hall - the size of the entire nation.

Where you will go, wherever you will fly
Recall the waltz - how you were white - and smile, you'll learn:
They'll wait forever - and from sea and from the sky -
They will invite you to white waltz when you return.

By Vladimir Vysotsky
Translated from Russian by Ilya Shambat

Re: White Waltz

<ae7909fd-5814-41e7-94dd-2546aee26ab5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=160000&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#160000

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2022 15:53:13 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: White Waltz
From: blackpoo...@aol.com (Edward Rochester Esq.)
 by: Edward Rochester Esq - Mon, 25 Jul 2022 22:53 UTC

On Monday, July 25, 2022 at 6:41:16 PM UTC-4, ibsh...@gmail.com wrote:
> O what a ball! Intensity of movement, nerves and sound!
> The hearts were beating in three beats and not in twain.
> And ladies were inviting gentlemen
> To a traditional white waltz - and took the breath away.
>
> And you, that dance with sorrow together,
> Decided to invite that one girl long ago -
> But you must always leave to go somewhere -
> To help somebody or to ready for a war.
>
> And all, still closer, the more real it becomes,
> She, one with whom you had intended to come in,
> She comes in order to invite you to the waltz -
> And in your temple blood was pounding.
>
> Externally calm in a ball full of noise,
> You're given away by the shadow of yours -
> She tore, and broke, and trembled in blurry light, as you spun.
> Held gently by the hand, and whirling her like mad,
> And you could have put her across a knife's blade
> So why do you stand, crossing arms, not your own and no one's?
>
> It was white waltz - the end to doubts of unbelievers
> An end of childhood consolations, dreams and games -
> Today the ladies were inviting cavaliers
> And not because the latter weren't brave.
>
> The ladies are called forth in time of ball
> And waltz spins heads around, like long before.
> But we must always answer someone's call -
> To help somebody or get ready for a war.
>
> Whiter than snow is the white waltz, spin now, strive!
> That snow does not get interrupted as it falls!
> She came in order to invite you to a life -
> And you were white - whiter than walls, whiter than waltz!
>
> Wherever you were - in the lyceum, in the tavern -
> In palace halls, in school - whatever luck despite -
> In Russia ladies were inviting gentlemen
> In every age to the white waltz, and all was white.
>
> Dulling the sight, not looking to each side,
> Through the despair, silence, quiet, resignation,
> The women hurried to come to our aid -
> Their hall - the size of the entire nation.
>
> Where you will go, wherever you will fly
> Recall the waltz - how you were white - and smile, you'll learn:
> They'll wait forever - and from sea and from the sky -
> They will invite you to white waltz when you return.
>
> By Vladimir Vysotsky
> Translated from Russian by Ilya Shambat

There aint nothing like a good old white waltz

https://youtu.be/co9iz9P3os8

Re: White Waltz

<7ae20ec3-3a6a-48d1-989f-7363f06b70e0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=160001&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#160001

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2022 16:05:48 -0700 (PDT)
From: nancygen...@gmail.com (NancyGene)
 by: NancyGene - Mon, 25 Jul 2022 23:05 UTC

On Monday, July 25, 2022 at 10:53:16 PM UTC, blackpo...@aol.com wrote:
> On Monday, July 25, 2022 at 6:41:16 PM UTC-4, ibsh...@gmail.com wrote:
> > O what a ball! Intensity of movement, nerves and sound!
> > The hearts were beating in three beats and not in twain.
> > And ladies were inviting gentlemen
> > To a traditional white waltz - and took the breath away.
> >
> > And you, that dance with sorrow together,
> > Decided to invite that one girl long ago -
> > But you must always leave to go somewhere -
> > To help somebody or to ready for a war.
> >
> > And all, still closer, the more real it becomes,
> > She, one with whom you had intended to come in,
> > She comes in order to invite you to the waltz -
> > And in your temple blood was pounding.
> >
> > Externally calm in a ball full of noise,
> > You're given away by the shadow of yours -
> > She tore, and broke, and trembled in blurry light, as you spun.
> > Held gently by the hand, and whirling her like mad,
> > And you could have put her across a knife's blade
> > So why do you stand, crossing arms, not your own and no one's?
> >
> > It was white waltz - the end to doubts of unbelievers
> > An end of childhood consolations, dreams and games -
> > Today the ladies were inviting cavaliers
> > And not because the latter weren't brave.
> >
> > The ladies are called forth in time of ball
> > And waltz spins heads around, like long before.
> > But we must always answer someone's call -
> > To help somebody or get ready for a war.
> >
> > Whiter than snow is the white waltz, spin now, strive!
> > That snow does not get interrupted as it falls!
> > She came in order to invite you to a life -
> > And you were white - whiter than walls, whiter than waltz!
> >
> > Wherever you were - in the lyceum, in the tavern -
> > In palace halls, in school - whatever luck despite -
> > In Russia ladies were inviting gentlemen
> > In every age to the white waltz, and all was white.
> >
> > Dulling the sight, not looking to each side,
> > Through the despair, silence, quiet, resignation,
> > The women hurried to come to our aid -
> > Their hall - the size of the entire nation.
> >
> > Where you will go, wherever you will fly
> > Recall the waltz - how you were white - and smile, you'll learn:
> > They'll wait forever - and from sea and from the sky -
> > They will invite you to white waltz when you return.
> >
> > By Vladimir Vysotsky
> > Translated from Russian by Ilya Shambat
> There aint nothing like a good old white waltz
>
> https://youtu.be/co9iz9P3os8

Saturday night at the Goodwill singles party.

Re: White Waltz

<af1154f7-5b74-4ff9-9272-d8ecda8901aan@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=160003&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#160003

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2022 16:42:58 -0700 (PDT)
From: blackpoo...@aol.com (Edward Rochester Esq.)
 by: Edward Rochester Esq - Mon, 25 Jul 2022 23:42 UTC

A place I will never see.

Re: White Waltz

<eaf3a512-d35d-4c60-9954-56f46addcfc5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=160004&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#160004

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2022 16:55:36 -0700 (PDT)
From: nancygen...@gmail.com (NancyGene)
 by: NancyGene - Mon, 25 Jul 2022 23:55 UTC

You just saw it!

Re: White Waltz

<8f300b49-4b9f-4eb7-ac5c-54846f74b19cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=160005&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#160005

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2022 17:44:23 -0700 (PDT)
From: blackpoo...@aol.com (Edward Rochester Esq.)
 by: Edward Rochester Esq - Tue, 26 Jul 2022 00:44 UTC

On Monday, July 25, 2022 at 7:55:37 PM UTC-4, NancyGene wrote:
> On Monday, July 25, 2022 at 11:42:59 PM UTC, blackpo...@aol.com wrote:

> > > Saturday night at the Goodwill singles party.
> > A place I will never see.
> You just saw it!

Now, now NG...I will never see the place I just saw. :-)

Re: White Waltz

<b9f6e34f-1379-4255-9f22-8d0bfe8953d5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=160006&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#160006

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2022 17:44:29 -0700 (PDT)
From: blackpoo...@aol.com (Edward Rochester Esq.)
 by: Edward Rochester Esq - Tue, 26 Jul 2022 00:44 UTC

On Monday, July 25, 2022 at 7:55:37 PM UTC-4, NancyGene wrote:
> On Monday, July 25, 2022 at 11:42:59 PM UTC, blackpo...@aol.com wrote:

> > > Saturday night at the Goodwill singles party.
> > A place I will never see.
> You just saw it!

Now, now NG...I will never see the place I just saw. :-)

Re: White Waltz

<6a7540543f10c4014c74a52534eddb9d@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=160123&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#160123

Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2022 20:57:15 +0000
From: vhugo...@gmail.com (Victor H.)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: Victor H. - Tue, 26 Jul 2022 20:57 UTC

Ilya Shambat wrote:

> O what a ball! Intensity of movement, nerves and sound!
> The hearts were beating in three beats and not in twain.
> And ladies were inviting gentlemen
> To a traditional white waltz - and took the breath away.

> And you, that dance with sorrow together,
> Decided to invite that one girl long ago -
> But you must always leave to go somewhere -
> To help somebody or to ready for a war.

> And all, still closer, the more real it becomes,
> She, one with whom you had intended to come in,
> She comes in order to invite you to the waltz -
> And in your temple blood was pounding.

> Externally calm in a ball full of noise,
> You're given away by the shadow of yours -
> She tore, and broke, and trembled in blurry light, as you spun.
> Held gently by the hand, and whirling her like mad,
> And you could have put her across a knife's blade
> So why do you stand, crossing arms, not your own and no one's?

> It was white waltz - the end to doubts of unbelievers
> An end of childhood consolations, dreams and games -
> Today the ladies were inviting cavaliers
> And not because the latter weren't brave.

> The ladies are called forth in time of ball
> And waltz spins heads around, like long before.
> But we must always answer someone's call -
> To help somebody or get ready for a war.

> Whiter than snow is the white waltz, spin now, strive!
> That snow does not get interrupted as it falls!
> She came in order to invite you to a life -
> And you were white - whiter than walls, whiter than waltz!

> Wherever you were - in the lyceum, in the tavern -
> In palace halls, in school - whatever luck despite -
> In Russia ladies were inviting gentlemen
> In every age to the white waltz, and all was white.

> Dulling the sight, not looking to each side,
> Through the despair, silence, quiet, resignation,
> The women hurried to come to our aid -
> Their hall - the size of the entire nation.

> Where you will go, wherever you will fly
> Recall the waltz - how you were white - and smile, you'll learn:
> They'll wait forever - and from sea and from the sky -
> They will invite you to white waltz when you return.

> By Vladimir Vysotsky
> Translated from Russian by Ilya Shambat

Quite excellent, Vladimir Vysotsky was one master of a poet...!

Re: White Waltz

<7f71e4dd4cb92d0ff9e7541800f86951@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=160574&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#160574

Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2022 15:06:40 +0000
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W.Dockery - Fri, 29 Jul 2022 15:06 UTC

Victor H. wrote:

> Ilya Shambat wrote:
>>
>> O what a ball! Intensity of movement, nerves and sound!
>> The hearts were beating in three beats and not in twain.
>> And ladies were inviting gentlemen
>> To a traditional white waltz - and took the breath away.

>> And you, that dance with sorrow together,
>> Decided to invite that one girl long ago -
>> But you must always leave to go somewhere -
>> To help somebody or to ready for a war.

>> And all, still closer, the more real it becomes,
>> She, one with whom you had intended to come in,
>> She comes in order to invite you to the waltz -
>> And in your temple blood was pounding.

>> Externally calm in a ball full of noise,
>> You're given away by the shadow of yours -
>> She tore, and broke, and trembled in blurry light, as you spun.
>> Held gently by the hand, and whirling her like mad,
>> And you could have put her across a knife's blade
>> So why do you stand, crossing arms, not your own and no one's?

>> It was white waltz - the end to doubts of unbelievers
>> An end of childhood consolations, dreams and games -
>> Today the ladies were inviting cavaliers
>> And not because the latter weren't brave.

>> The ladies are called forth in time of ball
>> And waltz spins heads around, like long before.
>> But we must always answer someone's call -
>> To help somebody or get ready for a war.

>> Whiter than snow is the white waltz, spin now, strive!
>> That snow does not get interrupted as it falls!
>> She came in order to invite you to a life -
>> And you were white - whiter than walls, whiter than waltz!

>> Wherever you were - in the lyceum, in the tavern -
>> In palace halls, in school - whatever luck despite -
>> In Russia ladies were inviting gentlemen
>> In every age to the white waltz, and all was white.

>> Dulling the sight, not looking to each side,
>> Through the despair, silence, quiet, resignation,
>> The women hurried to come to our aid -
>> Their hall - the size of the entire nation.

>> Where you will go, wherever you will fly
>> Recall the waltz - how you were white - and smile, you'll learn:
>> They'll wait forever - and from sea and from the sky -
>> They will invite you to white waltz when you return.

>> By Vladimir Vysotsky
>> Translated from Russian by Ilya Shambat

> Quite excellent, Vladimir Vysotsky was one master of a poet...!

And thanks to Ilya for bringing his poetry to American readers with his translations.

🙂

Re: White Waltz

<8d30cd6b-a140-40e2-8c91-a534648463a8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=160885&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#160885

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2022 10:05:14 -0700 (PDT)
From: holumbu...@gmail.com (jdcha...@gmail.com)
 by: jdcha...@gmail.com - Sun, 31 Jul 2022 17:05 UTC

On Monday, July 25, 2022 at 6:41:16 PM UTC-4, ibsh...@gmail.com wrote:
> O what a ball! Intensity of movement, nerves and sound!
> The hearts were beating in three beats and not in twain.
> And ladies were inviting gentlemen
> To a traditional white waltz - and took the breath away.
>
> And you, that dance with sorrow together,
> Decided to invite that one girl long ago -
> But you must always leave to go somewhere -
> To help somebody or to ready for a war.
>
> And all, still closer, the more real it becomes,
> She, one with whom you had intended to come in,
> She comes in order to invite you to the waltz -
> And in your temple blood was pounding.
>
> Externally calm in a ball full of noise,
> You're given away by the shadow of yours -
> She tore, and broke, and trembled in blurry light, as you spun.
> Held gently by the hand, and whirling her like mad,
> And you could have put her across a knife's blade
> So why do you stand, crossing arms, not your own and no one's?
>
> It was white waltz - the end to doubts of unbelievers
> An end of childhood consolations, dreams and games -
> Today the ladies were inviting cavaliers
> And not because the latter weren't brave.
>
> The ladies are called forth in time of ball
> And waltz spins heads around, like long before.
> But we must always answer someone's call -
> To help somebody or get ready for a war.
>
> Whiter than snow is the white waltz, spin now, strive!
> That snow does not get interrupted as it falls!
> She came in order to invite you to a life -
> And you were white - whiter than walls, whiter than waltz!
>
> Wherever you were - in the lyceum, in the tavern -
> In palace halls, in school - whatever luck despite -
> In Russia ladies were inviting gentlemen
> In every age to the white waltz, and all was white.
>
> Dulling the sight, not looking to each side,
> Through the despair, silence, quiet, resignation,
> The women hurried to come to our aid -
> Their hall - the size of the entire nation.
>
> Where you will go, wherever you will fly
> Recall the waltz - how you were white - and smile, you'll learn:
> They'll wait forever - and from sea and from the sky -
> They will invite you to white waltz when you return.
>
> By Vladimir Vysotsky
> Translated from Russian by Ilya Shambat

Sorry, this just reads like a bad Google translation.

Re: White Waltz

<5a61489e2b4ee77012d0660dc05d831b@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=160892&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#160892

Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2022 18:21:08 +0000
From: parnello...@gmail.com (W-Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W-Dockery - Sun, 31 Jul 2022 18:21 UTC

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Probably a forgery of Jordy ^^^^^^^^^^^

Re: White Waltz

<3f7e5b68-e64f-4038-ac80-feeb0ff0184en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=160976&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#160976

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2022 18:42:54 -0700 (PDT)
From: jdchase...@gmail.com (jdcha...@gmail.com)
 by: jdcha...@gmail.com - Mon, 1 Aug 2022 01:42 UTC

On Sunday, July 31, 2022 at 2:53:45 PM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:
> jdcha...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > On Monday, July 25, 2022 at 6:41:16 PM UTC-4, ibsh...@gmail.com wrote:
> >
> >> O what a ball! Intensity of movement, nerves and sound!
> >> The hearts were beating in three beats and not in twain.
> >> And ladies were inviting gentlemen
> >> To a traditional white waltz - and took the breath away.
> >>
> >> And you, that dance with sorrow together,
> >> Decided to invite that one girl long ago -
> >> But you must always leave to go somewhere -
> >> To help somebody or to ready for a war.
> >>
> >> And all, still closer, the more real it becomes,
> >> She, one with whom you had intended to come in,
> >> She comes in order to invite you to the waltz -
> >> And in your temple blood was pounding.
> >>
> >> Externally calm in a ball full of noise,
> >> You're given away by the shadow of yours -
> >> She tore, and broke, and trembled in blurry light, as you spun.
> >> Held gently by the hand, and whirling her like mad,
> >> And you could have put her across a knife's blade
> >> So why do you stand, crossing arms, not your own and no one's?
> >>
> >> It was white waltz - the end to doubts of unbelievers
> >> An end of childhood consolations, dreams and games -
> >> Today the ladies were inviting cavaliers
> >> And not because the latter weren't brave.
> >>
> >> The ladies are called forth in time of ball
> >> And waltz spins heads around, like long before.
> >> But we must always answer someone's call -
> >> To help somebody or get ready for a war.
> >>
> >> Whiter than snow is the white waltz, spin now, strive!
> >> That snow does not get interrupted as it falls!
> >> She came in order to invite you to a life -
> >> And you were white - whiter than walls, whiter than waltz!
> >>
> >> Wherever you were - in the lyceum, in the tavern -
> >> In palace halls, in school - whatever luck despite -
> >> In Russia ladies were inviting gentlemen
> >> In every age to the white waltz, and all was white.
> >>
> >> Dulling the sight, not looking to each side,
> >> Through the despair, silence, quiet, resignation,
> >> The women hurried to come to our aid -
> >> Their hall - the size of the entire nation.
> >>
> >> Where you will go, wherever you will fly
> >> Recall the waltz - how you were white - and smile, you'll learn:
> >> They'll wait forever - and from sea and from the sky -
> >> They will invite you to white waltz when you return.
> >>
> >> By Vladimir Vysotsky
> >> Translated from Russian by Ilya Shambat
>
> > Sorry, this just reads like a bad Google translation.
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Probably a forgery of Jordy ^^^^^^^^^^^
absolutely, just let Ilya know that it was a forgery..

Forgery and Identity Theft flagged (Was: Re: White Waltz)

<7b19c161-f702-4834-8123-271a88218bfdn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=160999&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#160999

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2022 21:15:40 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Forgery and Identity Theft flagged (Was: Re: White Waltz)
From: opb...@yahoo.com (Will Dockery)
 by: Will Dockery - Mon, 1 Aug 2022 04:15 UTC

On Sunday, July 31, 2022 at 9:42:55 PM UTC-4, jdcha...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Sunday, July 31, 2022 at 2:53:45 PM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:
> > jdcha...@gmail.com wrote:

> > > Sorry, this just reads like a bad Google translation.
> > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >
> > Probably a forgery of Jordy ^^^^^^^^^^^
> absolutely, just let Ilya know that it was a forgery..

Good evening, my friend, I'm sure Ilya is aware of this by now.

🙂

Re: White Waltz

<01d8695fd449df906dc9236a9fcc0f5a@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=161488&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#161488

Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2022 21:33:25 +0000
From: vhugo...@gmail.com (Victor H.)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: Victor H. - Tue, 2 Aug 2022 21:33 UTC

Ilya Shambat wrote:

> O what a ball! Intensity of movement, nerves and sound!
> The hearts were beating in three beats and not in twain.
> And ladies were inviting gentlemen
> To a traditional white waltz - and took the breath away.

> And you, that dance with sorrow together,
> Decided to invite that one girl long ago -
> But you must always leave to go somewhere -
> To help somebody or to ready for a war.

> And all, still closer, the more real it becomes,
> She, one with whom you had intended to come in,
> She comes in order to invite you to the waltz -
> And in your temple blood was pounding.

> Externally calm in a ball full of noise,
> You're given away by the shadow of yours -
> She tore, and broke, and trembled in blurry light, as you spun.
> Held gently by the hand, and whirling her like mad,
> And you could have put her across a knife's blade
> So why do you stand, crossing arms, not your own and no one's?

> It was white waltz - the end to doubts of unbelievers
> An end of childhood consolations, dreams and games -
> Today the ladies were inviting cavaliers
> And not because the latter weren't brave.

> The ladies are called forth in time of ball
> And waltz spins heads around, like long before.
> But we must always answer someone's call -
> To help somebody or get ready for a war.

> Whiter than snow is the white waltz, spin now, strive!
> That snow does not get interrupted as it falls!
> She came in order to invite you to a life -
> And you were white - whiter than walls, whiter than waltz!

> Wherever you were - in the lyceum, in the tavern -
> In palace halls, in school - whatever luck despite -
> In Russia ladies were inviting gentlemen
> In every age to the white waltz, and all was white.

> Dulling the sight, not looking to each side,
> Through the despair, silence, quiet, resignation,
> The women hurried to come to our aid -
> Their hall - the size of the entire nation.

> Where you will go, wherever you will fly
> Recall the waltz - how you were white - and smile, you'll learn:
> They'll wait forever - and from sea and from the sky -
> They will invite you to white waltz when you return.

> By Vladimir Vysotsky
> Translated from Russian by Ilya Shambat

Quite good, I.S.