From: dvan...@eyrie.org (Dave Van Domelen)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.comics.creative
Subject: [ASH] Shadow Girls #8 - Warden's Legacy
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2022 04:30:52 -0000 (UTC)
Sender: eagle@eyrie.org
 by: Dave Van Domelen - Tue, 8 Nov 2022 04:30 UTC

[Cover shows the fight between Warden and Supernaut in Warden #12,
with the Morning Stars as ghostly observers. The cover copy
asks, "Super...or Naut?"]

.|, COHERENT COMICS PRESENTS An ASH Universe Story
--+-------------------------------------------------------------------------
'|` SHADOW GIRLS #8 - Warden's Legacy
copyright 2022 by Dave Van Domelen

The Morning Stars

Tetra-Red Xueli "Julie" Li - The Leader
Hexa-Blue Tamica "Tammy" Sullivan - The Brains
Octa-Green Dhriti "Tee" Singh - The Fighter
Dodeca-Yellow Jessica "Jess" Davies - The Scout
Icosa-Pink Olivia "Liv" Stuart - The Heart
Black Opal II Madelyn "Maddie" Chin - The Mentor...under protest

[June 8, 2027 - Plato's Cave]

"Guys, guys, I maybe kinda overheard my parents talking about work and I
didn't really mean to but I don't really have the hang of our expanded senses
yet and I just sort of pick things up sometimes when there's a quiet spot in
my music or..."
"The point, Liv?" Julie asked. With school out for the summer, the
Morning Stars had started meeting on weeknights as well, under the cover of
training at a totally plausible and not fake at all martial arts dojo giving
self defense lessons. And, to be fair, they were learning quite a bit about
martial arts from Maddie, even Tee, who had a head start.
Liv took a deep breath, and everyone just sort of winced in anticipation
of the verbal barrage they knew was coming.
"Okay so my parents work with the Cybernostra and I know you guys don't
really like 'em, yuh, but they're basically cops now and I know a few of them
and they're nice people and I'm kinda worried about them now because I heard
my parents say that Doctor Jacky and Baron Saturday had been nosing around
Cybernostra territory a little too much lately so they're worried that the
rumors of a new zombie Supernaut might be true and that would suck SO badly
if it happened and..."
"Wait, SUPERNAUT?" Maddie held up a hand. "I haven't heard anything
about him since he crashed Umbrae's wedding last year. And got blown up. I
don't think there's enough left of him to make into a zombie."
"A NEW one, like I said Maddie," Liv tried to give the team's reluctant
mentor a rather cross look, but combined with her small stature and pink hair
it only ended up looking adorable. "Not with the alien tech this time, but
jacking Cybernostra with technoloas and then using them as parts to stitch
together a franken-Supernaut strong enough to let Jacky and Saturday stop
being bad jokes who can't keep any living followers anymore now that the
Macoute has dropped them like a bad habit and the 5th Avenue Zombie
Snakeaters are kind of falling apart, literally."
Jess snorted. "Not really seeing a problem. Maybe the Cybernostra will
finally take out those voodoo creeps for good if they cross enough lines."
Julie shook her head. "If they actually do managed to put together
Zombienaut before the crackdown happens? A lot of people could get hurt.
And Liv's right..."
"She is?" Tee asked. "About what?"
"Everything," Liv tried a slightly more effective scowl, but still
looked cute.
"The part where she said the Cybernostra are basically police now, at
least on the south side. The Boys of Pain run most of that on the north,"
Julie nodded to Tammy, "and if they're still too much of a paragang
sometimes, they're trying. If the voodoo boys do too much damage to the
Cybernostra, then Bathory's probably going to decide it's time to go loud.
We need her to stay quiet until we're ready to put her down."
"Hmm," Tammy nodded, clearly starting to work on a theory. "Agreed.
While we may have a long term desire to push Rex Umbrae and his cybernetic
allies out of the City, in the immediate and medium terms we are far better
served by the stability he enforces."
"I wouldn't have put it so coldly, but yeah," Julie agreed. "I think
our first step should be gathering information. Right now it's second-hand
rumors at best, no offense, Liv."
"None taken!" she replied brightly.
"I have some ideas I'd like to run down online," Tammy stood and stepped
towards the computer room...the old Black Opal base was old enough that it
had a dedicated computer room, although most of the space taken up by the old
1980s mainframes was now taken up by vastly more powerful RAID system with
covert access to systems that a mere civilian would never even know existed.
"Tee, Liv, Jess, we'll go rooftopping. Liv, you know any usual
Cybernostra haunts we could check, just to see if they're getting cocky and
are easy to shadow?"
"Um, I know a few we shouldn't check out, because there's cocky and then
there's justified?" Liv replied.
"Good enough, let's hit the roofs," Julie snapped, then headed for the
tunnels. A moment later, the other three followed, if a bit uncertainly.

* * * *

[Later that night - Plato's Cave]

Tammy leaned back, exhaling in what Maddie thought was a rather self-
satisfied sigh.
"Find anything useful?" she asked the girl.
"About Liv's concerns, not particularly, but I was able to find enough
in your quasi-legal internet sources to put the last pieces on a theory I've
been turning over in my head for a while. Information about the Cybernostra
that is technically under Combine government restriction was not terribly
useful for tonight's business, but was quite enlightening."
Maddie arched an eyebrow. "And what theory might that be?"
Tammy closed her eyes and rubbed her temples for a moment before
replying, "I don't feel that you will be pleased by it."
"Okay," Maddie stood and stepped across the small computer room, "now I
definitely NEED to know. Spill."
"In short, I believe your former ally Warden artificially extended the
active Paraganger period by several years past its natural end, by his
actions."
Maddie sat back down and frowned skeptically. "What evidence do you
have?"
Tammy shrugged. "Nothing that would hold up in court, not that this is
a matter for judicial review. Look, I can either play twenty questions on
this matter, or you can let me start from the beginning, even if I repeat
things that I know you know. The logical chain is important. But as a
preview, I will say that something Julie said earlier told me I was on the
right track and wasn't the only one making a particular connection."
Maddie made a "go ahead" gesture.
"No one has formally declared when the Paragangs of New York became a
serious problem, but most agree that it started in earnest about ten years
ago, as the first adult paranormals decided to come to Manhattan and play at
being villains. And make no mistake, for the first year or two, it was a
matter of fashion and play. This attracted minors to the growing scene, and
an unknown number of baseline humans who either hoped to gain powers by
association or just bask in the reflected glory."
"Even 2017 wasn't exactly safe for us locals," Maddie noted.
"Of course not. A paranormal 'cutting loose' is going to have
significantly greater repercussions due to their powers, even if THEY are not
taking the matter seriously. And make no mistake, only a handful of those
early paragangers took things seriously. Notably Bathory and Cockatrice,
obviously. But consider, what was the population of Manhattan in the late
20-teens? About a hundred thousand. Add the surrounding boroughs and you
still don't exceed perhaps a half million normal citizens. The City was hit
hard by the Ride of the Valkyries and the general events of July Sixth, and
lost even more population in the years that followed. There were *scores* of
powered paragangers. How is a population less than that of Twentieth Century
*Milwaukee* going to support that kind of predation? Even if most of them
were just playing at crime, they were still parasitic, a drain on the
community, a barrier to urban renewal and recovery."
"Milwaukee did host the original Academy of Super-Heroes for a few
years," Maddie noted. "Superhuman concentrations happen."
Tammy shook her head. "I chose my comparison purposefully. By the time
the original ASH moved its headquarters to Milwaukee, they were already
mostly facing regional or even global threats. There were relatively few
local paranormal criminals prior to the explosion of such during the
Godmarket. The known paranormal Paragangers in 2022, not even counting any
covert Cybernostra or Onyx Eye operatives, was comparable to the total number
of paracriminals in the greater New York City area at its height as a
supernormal hub, when its population was more than an order of magnitude
larger."
"Are you implying that someone intentionally brought paragangers here?"
concern tinged Maddie's voice.
"No, as far as I...or any experts I have been able to find," she
gestured at the terminal, "can tell, it really was just a fad. For all the
efforts of the Academy, a great number of paranormals slipped through their
net in the late teens. For some reason, which I suspect may have been active
bribery or computer interference on the part of the Cybernostra, the
government never really thought things were bad enough to risk conflict.
They may have sent in some recruiters to try to convince some of the
paragangers to come out of the cold, as it were, but the sheer scale of the
problem clearly never came to the attention of the right people. Still, as
near as I can tell from the data I have been able to find, 2021 was the
natural peak year for the paragangs. Given a few more years, the fad would
have ended as it became too much like work to maintain the structures needed
to keep the gangs fed and otherwise supplied. Other than the Boys of Pain
and maybe the New York Macoute, NONE of the paragangs were organized like
traditional street gangs, and they were clearly ready to move on, leaving
behind a handful who truly called Manhattan home, or had real ambitions of
rule."
"Shouldn't Warden's crusade have hurried that along?" Maddie asked, but
she already suspected what Tammy's answer would be.
"It could have, but he went about it in almost exactly the wrong way, at
least initially. He was incredibly brutal, for one. Anyone not ready to
surrender the lifestyle *immediately* knew that they couldn't keep treating
it as an aesthetic. Warden may have made a handful flee, but the rest
redoubled their efforts and started taking the paragangs seriously.
Remember, these were largely people who had decided that they wanted to be
rebels, live their own lives without listening to what their parents or the
government might say. The paragangs selected for the stubborn, those who
will leap from a bridge simply because it is forbidden."
"God...I knew Tho...the Warden had been a lot worse before he started
making connections with people other than his Mentor, but I hadn't really
considered how much worse he might have made things before he reined himself
in and stopped listening to that telepathic voice of vengeance."
"Don't engage in excessive sympathy for the paragangs, they were still
quite violent and had graduated to thrill-killing in some cases, notably the
now deceased 5th Avenue Snakeaters," Tammy pointed out. "If that had been
his only mistake, however, it would have passed once he reined himself in, as
you put it. But there was another factor in his early rampaging that
destabilized matters to the point that the government took notice."
"The Onyx Eye tong."
Tammy nodded. "While mostly skilled baseline humans, the tong had been
recruiting some of the paragangers into its own ranks, just as the
Cybernostra did. The Eye and the Cybernostra acted as a moderating influence
on the paragangs, seeing themselves as the home teams, as it were. They were
willing to let the paragangs have some fun, watch for potential recruits or
rivals, and subtly kept a lid on matters. Even without some obvious
information blockage, it's possible that the Combine would have continued to
view the paragangs as a motley assembly of rowdy children thanks to the
efforts of the Onyx Eye and the Cybernostra. But Warden struck several
telling blows to the tong, and had no small impact on the Cybernostra's power
structure, such as his defeat of the original Supernaut."
"So, between the general perversity of the paragangers and Warden
kneecapping the two factions who actually wanted things kept calm, things got
a lot worse for several years, to the point the United World sent in STRAFE
in a failed attempt to fix things?" Maddie slumped.
"Essentially. As Julie pointed out, hurting the Cybernostra too badly
tends to take the reins off the paragangs. If Warden had been more careful
about his targets from the start, or even never began his crusade, it is
likely all but a handful of paragangers would have left for greener pastures
by the end of '23. The success of the new ASH would likely have inspired
many to go to the Academy, in fact. But for all his prowess, I doubt Warden
could have known that."
Maddie shook her head. "He didn't really know anything, not when he
started. He was acting at the direction of an angry young telepath who
wanted everyone who hurt her and killed her family to pay, and it took him a
while to really wake up to himself, he told me."
"Ahhhh, that makes sense," Tammy nodded. "I presume this is the
telepathic Mentor you mentioned? Yes. Well, her goal may well have been to
burn the whole city down, in which case she would have directed him to engage
in the precise actions that would make matters worse. But that is entering
the territory of wild speculation. Ignorance on both their parts is perhaps
more likely...even a powerful telepath can't know everything."
The room was silent for several long minutes after that as Maddie tried
to digest the implications of Tammy's terrifyingly plausible theory. If she
ever saw Thomas Malfeas again, could she avoid letting him know how much he
might have hurt the City? Should she mention Rebus to Tammy at all, given
that some of the information manipulation that the teenager blamed on the
Cybernostra could just as easily have been the machinations of the Conclave
of Anchors, seeking to gather dangerous paranormals in one place for easy
containment? She definitely needed to run this past Jessa and Beth, though.
"You're right, I'm definitely not pleased," Maddie finally admitted.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: [ASH] Shadow Girls #8 - Warden's Legacy

<tq5d2p$34617$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1655&group=rec.arts.comics.creative#1655

From: pwer...@gmail.com (Drew Nilium)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.comics.creative
Subject: Re: [ASH] Shadow Girls #8 - Warden's Legacy
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2023 05:52:34 -0000 (UTC)
Sender: eagle@eyrie.org
 by: Drew Nilium - Tue, 17 Jan 2023 05:52 UTC

On 11/7/22 11:30 PM, Dave Van Domelen wrote:
> [Cover shows the fight between Warden and Supernaut in Warden #12,
> with the Morning Stars as ghostly observers. The cover copy
> asks, "Super...or Naut?"]

ooooooooh :o

> "Guys, guys, I maybe kinda overheard my parents talking about work and I
> didn't really mean to but I don't really have the hang of our expanded senses
> yet and I just sort of pick things up sometimes when there's a quiet spot in
> my music or..."
> "The point, Liv?" Julie asked.

X3;;;

> With school out for the summer, the
> Morning Stars had started meeting on weeknights as well, under the cover of
> training at a totally plausible and not fake at all martial arts dojo giving
> self defense lessons.

X3

> Liv took a deep breath, and everyone just sort of winced in anticipation
> of the verbal barrage they knew was coming.

Me whenst infodump

> I heard
> my parents say that Doctor Jacky and Baron Saturday had been nosing around
> Cybernostra territory a little too much lately so they're worried that the
> rumors of a new zombie Supernaut might be true and that would suck SO badly
> if it happened and..."
> "Wait, SUPERNAUT?" Maddie held up a hand. "I haven't heard anything
> about him since he crashed Umbrae's wedding last year. And got blown up.

Uh, yeah, whatst :o

> "A NEW one, like I said Maddie," Liv tried to give the team's reluctant
> mentor a rather cross look, but combined with her small stature and pink hair
> it only ended up looking adorable.

^.^ <3 <3 <3

> "Not with the alien tech this time, but
> jacking Cybernostra with technoloas and then using them as parts to stitch
> together a franken-Supernaut strong enough to let Jacky and Saturday stop
> being bad jokes who can't keep any living followers anymore now that the
> Macoute has dropped them like a bad habit and the 5th Avenue Zombie
> Snakeaters are kind of falling apart, literally."

X3

> And Liv's right..."
> "She is?" Tee asked. "About what?"
> "Everything," Liv tried a slightly more effective scowl, but still
> looked cute.

X3

> If the voodoo boys do too much damage to the
> Cybernostra, then Bathory's probably going to decide it's time to go loud.
> We need her to stay quiet until we're ready to put her down."

Hmmmmm, yeah

> While we may have a long term desire to push Rex Umbrae and his cybernetic
> allies out of the City, in the immediate and medium terms we are far better
> served by the stability he enforces."

Being sucked into his trap!! :o

> Right now it's second-hand
> rumors at best, no offense, Liv."

I love her. X>

> Liv, you know any usual
> Cybernostra haunts we could check, just to see if they're getting cocky and
> are easy to shadow?"
> "Um, I know a few we shouldn't check out, because there's cocky and then
> there's justified?" Liv replied.
> "Good enough, let's hit the roofs," Julie snapped, then headed for the
> tunnels.

X3

> Tammy leaned back, exhaling in what Maddie thought was a rather self-
> satisfied sigh.

X3

> "In short, I believe your former ally Warden artificially extended the
> active Paraganger period by several years past its natural end, by his
> actions."

Welp. Yeah, that makes some fuckin' sense. >:/

> "No one has formally declared when the Paragangs of New York became a
> serious problem, but most agree that it started in earnest about ten years
> ago, as the first adult paranormals decided to come to Manhattan and play at
> being villains. And make no mistake, for the first year or two, it was a
> matter of fashion and play.

*nodnods* With you so far.

> There were *scores* of
> powered paragangers. How is a population less than that of Twentieth Century
> *Milwaukee* going to support that kind of predation? Even if most of them
> were just playing at crime, they were still parasitic, a drain on the
> community, a barrier to urban renewal and recovery."

Makes sense, makes sense.

> "Milwaukee did host the original Academy of Super-Heroes for a few
> years," Maddie noted. "Superhuman concentrations happen."
> Tammy shook her head. "I chose my comparison purposefully. By the time
> the original ASH moved its headquarters to Milwaukee, they were already
> mostly facing regional or even global threats. There were relatively few
> local paranormal criminals prior to the explosion of such during the
> Godmarket.

Hmmmmm, fair, fair.

> Still, as
> near as I can tell from the data I have been able to find, 2021 was the
> natural peak year for the paragangs. Given a few more years, the fad would
> have ended as it became too much like work to maintain the structures needed
> to keep the gangs fed and otherwise supplied.

And then...
> "So, between the general perversity of the paragangers and Warden
> kneecapping the two factions who actually wanted things kept calm, things got
> a lot worse for several years, to the point the United World sent in STRAFE
> in a failed attempt to fix things?" Maddie slumped.

....yeah. x-x Makes sense. It turns out that punishing and killing bad people
doesn't resolve the conditions that created them!!!

Yeah, legit. @@

> The United
> World's primary paranormal response organization mostly operated out of the
> nearby East Village, and while it had withdrawn superhuman tactical resources
> in the wake of the island being ceded to Rex Umbrae, they kept plenty of
> affiliated field experts in town to keep an eye on things.

I mean, I sure flipping would.

> "If they're fighting it, we should help them, not hurt them!" Icosa-Pink
> declared, leaping into the light.
> "SHIT!" Octa-Green hissed, and leapt after Icosa-Pink, followed quickly
> by the other three and no small amount of additional swearing.
> "Mr. Stone, you need to fight it!" Icosa-Pink yelled, reaching out a
> hand.

I love her a lot. <3

> The Cybernostra she had addressed reached out his own hand...and
> deployed a cannon from his forearm. It spat cyan light that splashed over
> Icosa-Pink's chest, devoured by and destroying the shadows that sheathed her
> and normally protected her.

D: D: D:

> the two
> Cybernostra didn't stand a chance against four enraged girls who had zero
> interest in reaching out a hand of friendship when a boot of anger was
> available.

X3;;;;

> "She powered down involuntarily, but the uniform seems to have held
> against what energy exceeded her shadows," Hexa-Blue said, feeling for a
> pulse on Icosa-Pink's hand. "She's alive, thanks to Black Opal's tailoring
> skills and fabric supplier."

Woohoo! :D

> "Unnnnghh," Icosa-Pink moaned, stirring to motion. "I feel like I bit
> into a power cord again," she said shakily as her eyes fluttered open.

Again X3 <3

awwwwwww. <3

> It turned out that the Blackcels were not so much lethal as they were
> LOUD, and the two reeled from the antipersonnel sonic weapons for a moment
> before gathering their wits and fleeing the scene.
> "Well, back to de drawing board," a voice muttered from the shadows.

X3 <3 <3 <3

> Tammy's "sidebar" ended up kind of taking over the issue, which was
> originally intended to focus on Liv, but I think it worked well enough with
> the two sharing the spotlight.

Yeah, I think so. :>