Faith goes out through the window when beauty comes in at the door.

arts / rec.arts.tv / What Did You Watch? 2022-10-08 (Saturday)

SubjectAuthor
* What Did You Watch? 2022-10-08 (Saturday)Ubiquitous
+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-08 (Saturday)Ian J. Ball
|`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-08 (Saturday)Arthur Lipscomb
| +* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-08 (Saturday)Ian J. Ball
| |`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-08 (Saturday)anim8rfsk
| | `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-08 (Saturday)shawn
| |  +* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-08 (Saturday)Ian J. Ball
| |  |`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-08 (Saturday)anim8rfsk
| |  `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-08 (Saturday)anim8rfsk
| `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-08 (Saturday)BTR1701
|  +- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-08 (Saturday)anim8rfsk
|  `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-08 (Saturday)Ubiquitous
`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-08 (Saturday)anim8rfsk
 `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-08 (Saturday)Arthur Lipscomb
  `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-08 (Saturday)anim8rfsk

1
What Did You Watch? 2022-10-08 (Saturday)

<UBI20221008@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=160082&group=rec.arts.tv#160082

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-08 (Saturday)
From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2022 04:30:41 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Sun, 9 Oct 2022 08:30 UTC

I watched:

THE NEWS AND WHY IT MATTERS:
Reruns of this week's eps.

SVENGHOULIE:
"It! The Terror From Space". Lone survivor of a crash on Mars is
rescued, unaware they have a Martian stowaway. I bailed on this one
shortly after his rescuers left Mars because everyone on Earth assumed
he killed his crewmates and were only rescuing him so they could hold a
Jan-6-style court martial before putting him in front of a firing
squad.

FAMILY GUY:
"Brian Griffin's House of Payne". Network executives buy a script that
Brian had written for a TV drama and turn it into a raucous comedy,
against his wishes, of course. Meanwhile, Meg and Chris accidentally
knock Stewie down the stairs while they're fighting, and he won't come
to.

FAMILY GUY:
"April in Quahog". It's the day before the end of the world, and folks
in Quahog look for ways to pass their final hours. But first, Peter has
jury duty.

FAMILY GUY:
"Brian & Stewie". This was quite a yawner, honestly. Brian and Stewie
get locked in a bank vault over the weekend, forcing us to endure
watching them engage in "character building" for 31 minutes and 29
minutes of various musical numbers from the show. So now we know that
Brian wants to blow his brains out and Stewie has a love/hate thing
going with Brian.

FAMILY GUY:
"Quagmire's Dad". Quagmire's father has a "sex change" because he
couldn't handle being gay. Luckily, they didn't pander to people with
delusions of being the "wrong gender" and treated it accordingly. Oh
yeah, holier-than-thou Brian returned from an "Internet seminar" he had
been incessantly bragging about to meet and have sex with Quagmire's
dad after stopping at a bar on the way home.

FAMILY GUY:
"The Splendid Source". Peter and the gang's search for the historical
source of dirty jokes leads them to Virginia, where they reunite with
Cleveland.

What did you watch?

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-08 (Saturday)

<thusko$hgmh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=160098&group=rec.arts.tv#160098

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-08 (Saturday)
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2022 09:24:56 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sun, 9 Oct 2022 16:24 UTC

On 2022-10-09 08:30:41 +0000, Ubiquitous said:

> What did you watch?

The Transporter: Refueled (HBO Zone) - I rewatched most of this. It's
not a bad flick, so I'm not sure why it bombed and killed rebooting
"The Transporter" franchise. I hope they try to reboot this franchise
again soon - these films are mindless fun!!

My Best Friend's Exorcism (Prime) - Because of "Stranger Things", I
guess, this was pointlessly set in the mid-80s, and used 80s music for
the soundtrack. It was filmed in the nice parts of Georgia.
Elsie Fisher and Amiah Miller play, Abby and Gretchen, best
high-school buds, though the other two girls in their group are kind of
grunches. Gretchen is raised by strict, highly religious evangelical
parents, while Abby's parents are mostly cool, except her mom worries
because she's a "scholarship kid".
A plot point is that Abby wears makeup because she has bad
skin/acne, and they either do a really good job of making it seem like
Fisher actually has some acne, or Fisher *really does* have some acne,
I'm not sure which!!
Anyway, at a trip to the lake (gone wrong!), Abby talks Gretchen
into going into a haunted cabin(?), where Gretchen unknownlingly
touches the darkness, and they wake a demon, and Abby runs away while
Gretchen is possessed by the demon.
The rest of the film is Abby trying to figure out what is going on,
and trying to do something about it.
Overall, I liked this one, but it was very uneven tonally, wildly
varying from mild horror comedy to somewhat serious high school drama
to campy exorcism comedy. I don't think it ever got it right.
The standout here is Amiah Miller, unsurprisingly, who has been
killing since she was a child actress, almost as well as Mckenna Grace
has.

The Imperfects (Netflix) - "All Monsters Attack" and "Destroy All
Monsters" (ep's #1.9 & 1.10, the final two episodes (of "season
#1"?...)).
There's a bit of "Defying Gravity" syndrome here as the first two,
and last two, episodes of this are written by the series creator(s),
and the Dr. Sarkov we get in these episodes, is quite different from
the milder (and more amusing) Dr. Sarhov we got in the middle.
They actually do mostly bring the overall story to a conclusion, but
then make the mistake of adding things on after that, to set up a
prospective season #2 (which, knowing Netflix, will never happen!). The
perfect ending here would have been a now-rogue Tilda using her powers
to save the mutant girl at the end - they did not need to add any of
the stuff with Juan or Abbi, and even the added stuff with Dr.
Burke/Finch and Sarkov could have been left off without adversely
affecting setting up a possible season #2 (though this was less
objectionable than the Juan and Abbi stuff).
I'll watch a season #2 of this, if it happens, but I am not
expecting it to happen.

The Disappearance of Cari Farver (Lifetime) - Well, I guess this was
better than "The Gabby Petito Story" just by virtue of the fact that I
didn't know this particular case, so it was all "new to me".
Unfortunately, this plays out exactly like I expected it to.
Alicia Witt plays, Liz, who you just know is crazy from the get-go.
(Is this "typecasting" for the IRL Witt?! ;p )
Liz is seeing auto mechanic, Dave Kroupa (Zach Gilford), but Dave is
clear they are "non-exclusive", even though you can tell Liz is clingy
and possessive in a completely insane way.
Dave starts seeing Cari Farver (Rebecca Amzallag), and they really
hit it off, though Cari makes it clear that she only wants a "casual"
relationship.
Liz manages to seduce Dave, but Dave is honest about it to Cari, who
points out that they are non-exclusive anyway. Immediately after that,
Dave starts gettting weird text messages from Cari, who then
"disappears" from everyone in her life, including from her mom (Lea
Thompson) and teenaged son, only sending text messages from then on.
You can guess exactly what's going on here, though it takes everyone
else, including the cops! way too long to figure out out. (IRL, it
sounds like it took them three years!!)
The "break" in the case is when insane Liz decides to start blaming
Dave's amicable ex-wife (Lisa Marie DiGiacinto), as the new "suspect"
in the "text stalking". Even Dave starts being suspicious with that one.
Like "Gabby Petito" this really doesn't go anywhere you aren't
expecting it to, but at least this time I didn't already know the case
inside and out.

Recorded for later: Bring It On: Cheer or Die (Siffy).

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-08 (Saturday)

<thuubs$hij6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=160102&group=rec.arts.tv#160102

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2022 09:54:20 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Sun, 9 Oct 2022 16:54 UTC

On 10/9/2022 9:24 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> On 2022-10-09 08:30:41 +0000, Ubiquitous said:
>
>> What did you watch?
>
> The Transporter: Refueled (HBO Zone) - I rewatched most of this. It's
> not a bad flick, so I'm not sure why it bombed and killed rebooting "The
> Transporter" franchise. I hope they try to reboot this franchise again
> soon - these films are mindless fun!!

I don't think I cared for it. And not having Jason Statham couldn't
have helped.

> My Best Friend's Exorcism (Prime) - Because of "Stranger Things", I
> guess, this was pointlessly set in the mid-80s, and used 80s music for
> the soundtrack. It was filmed in the nice parts of Georgia.
>   Elsie Fisher and Amiah Miller play, Abby and Gretchen, best
> high-school buds, though the other two girls in their group are kind of
> grunches. Gretchen is raised by strict, highly religious evangelical
> parents, while Abby's parents are mostly cool, except her mom worries
> because she's a "scholarship kid".
>   A plot point is that Abby wears makeup because she has bad skin/acne,
> and they either do a really good job of making it seem like Fisher
> actually has some acne, or Fisher *really does* have some acne, I'm not
> sure which!!
>   Anyway, at a trip to the lake (gone wrong!), Abby talks Gretchen into
> going into a haunted cabin(?), where Gretchen unknownlingly touches the
> darkness, and they wake a demon, and Abby runs away while Gretchen is
> possessed by the demon.
>   The rest of the film is Abby trying to figure out what is going on,
> and trying to do something about it.
>   Overall, I liked this one, but it was very uneven tonally, wildly
> varying from mild horror comedy to somewhat serious high school drama to
> campy exorcism comedy. I don't think it ever got it right.
>   The standout here is Amiah Miller, unsurprisingly, who has been
> killing since she was a child actress, almost as well as Mckenna Grace has.
>
> The Imperfects (Netflix) - "All Monsters Attack" and "Destroy All
> Monsters" (ep's #1.9 & 1.10, the final two episodes (of "season #1"?...)).

I'm never going to remember to watch this so I put it on my calendar.
That way I should at least sample the first episode and if I like it
I'll come back for more.

> The Disappearance of Cari Farver (Lifetime) - Well, I guess this was
> better than "The Gabby Petito Story" just by virtue of the fact that I
> didn't know this particular case, so it was all "new to me".
>   Unfortunately, this plays out exactly like I expected it to.
>   Alicia Witt plays, Liz, who you just know is crazy from the get-go.
> (Is this "typecasting" for the IRL Witt?!  ;p  )
>   Liz is seeing auto mechanic, Dave Kroupa (Zach Gilford), but Dave is
> clear they are "non-exclusive", even though you can tell Liz is clingy
> and possessive in a completely insane way.
>   Dave starts seeing Cari Farver (Rebecca Amzallag), and they really
> hit it off, though Cari makes it clear that she only wants a "casual"
> relationship.
>   Liz manages to seduce Dave, but Dave is honest about it to Cari, who
> points out that they are non-exclusive anyway. Immediately after that,
> Dave starts gettting weird text messages from Cari, who then
> "disappears" from everyone in her life, including from her mom (Lea
> Thompson) and teenaged son, only sending text messages from then on.
>   You can guess exactly what's going on here, though it takes everyone
> else, including the cops! way too long to figure out out. (IRL, it
> sounds like it took them three years!!)
>   The "break" in the case is when insane Liz decides to start blaming
> Dave's amicable ex-wife (Lisa Marie DiGiacinto), as the new "suspect" in
> the "text stalking". Even Dave starts being suspicious with that one.
>   Like "Gabby Petito" this really doesn't go anywhere you aren't
> expecting it to, but at least this time I didn't already know the case
> inside and out.
>

> Recorded for later: Bring It On: Cheer or Die (Siffy).

Is this a parody?

To avoid Werewolf by Night spoilers that seemed to be popping up
everywhere, I slightly moved around my movie watching plans and watched:

The Howling (4K disc) Joe Dante's 1981 horror classic about a TV
reporter who discovers the hard way werewolves are real. I didn't grow
up watching this (or the sequels) and don't really have any strong
feelings towards it. It was mostly background noise with the director
and actor commentary. It was an interesting commentary because the two
leads were among the cast on the commentary, and they were husband and
wife in real life. I was slightly annoyed because even though I know
I've watched the movie before I had no memory of what was going to
happen, and they kept spoiling things on the commentary. Then Dante
would say no one listening to this commentary hasn't already watched the
movie and already knows what's going to happen anyway. But I didn't
know what was going to happen and they kept spoiling it!

An American Werewolf in London (4K disc) John Landis' 1981 horror
classic. I love the movie, but this go around it was mostly background
noise with the actor commentary. It was a good commentary and the two
lead actors seem to be friends in real life.

Cat People (4K disc) 1982 movie starring Nastassja Kinski as a German
werecat in America. Malcolm McDowell costars as her brother. I know I
watched this movie once before, but I had *no* memory of it. I decided
to skip the commentary track to avoid spoilers. Hey, it's Lana Lang!

Silver Bullet (blu-ray) 1985 horror movie written by Stephen King about
a boy (Corey Haim) who with help from his drunk uncle (Gary Busey) try
to stop a werewolf (Everett McGill). I watched this with the director's
commentary. The director explained that this was his first movie and he
wanted to make a PG-13 kid friendly movie, but the producer (Dino De
Laurentiis) wanted a hard "R" movie and kept forcing him to include
bloody graphic scenes and as a result the movie never properly gelled
between the two visions. I don't get why not just embrace doing the
hard "R" horror flick the producer wanted. Another interesting bit from
the commentary is the moderator asked him if he shot all the movie
himself or was any footage used from the previously director who was
fired, and he said he had no idea there was a previous director on the
film before him. I'm wondering how does the director not know this, but
the moderator does?

Blood & Chocolate (blu-ray) 2007 horror movie about an American human
(Hugh Dancy) in Bucharest who falls in love with a werewolf (Agnes
Bruckner). Slightly above background noise with the director and actor
commentary. It wasn't a good commentary, but I had never listened to it
before and decided to leave it on.

Werewolves Within (Showtime) New 2021 horror comedy about a new forest
ranger who moves to a small town right in the middle of a murder spree.
And it appears the murders are the work of a werewolf. There is also a
snowstorm that traps everyone in the local inn. You know, with the
murderer/werewolf... It was OK.

Werewolf by Night (Disney+) New horror special set in the MCU. The
trailer made this look like it was going to be a goofy 70s style comedy.
But this turned out to be a serious horror flick, just set in the MCU.
A group of monster hunters convene for a ceremony to fight over who
gets the blood stone and as it happens, one of the hunters is also a
werewolf...by night...It held my interest well enough. I'd say more but
spoilers...The spoilers seem to be popping up everywhere, so you might
want to get to this sooner rather than later.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-08 (Saturday)

<thv0fg$hrh4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=160111&group=rec.arts.tv#160111

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2022 10:30:24 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sun, 9 Oct 2022 17:30 UTC

On 2022-10-09 16:54:20 +0000, Arthur Lipscomb said:

> On 10/9/2022 9:24 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
>> On 2022-10-09 08:30:41 +0000, Ubiquitous said:
>>
>>> What did you watch?
>>
>> Recorded for later: Bring It On: Cheer or Die (Siffy).
>
> Is this a parody?

I'll let you know when I watch it!!

But it stars Tiera Skovbye and Kerri Medders, which I think is the
tip-off... ;)

> To avoid Werewolf by Night spoilers that seemed to be popping up
> everywhere, I slightly moved around my movie watching plans and watched:
>

> [snip]
> Werewolf by Night (Disney+) New horror special set in the MCU.

Rant: This is *not* a "TV special"!! A "TV special" is when you replace
"regularly scheduled programming" with a "one-off" TV program (like a
"Peanuts" or Christmas special). There is *no* "regularly scheduled"
programming on a streamer. Ergo, this is not a "TV special"! - it's
just a "one-off". I dunno what you call that, but it's not a "TV
special"!!

Unfortunately, the idiots in the entertainment media have already taken
to calling this a "special", even though it's nothing of the sort.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-08 (Saturday)

<atropos-2E5E16.11491709102022@69.muea.snfc.sfjca01r1.dsl.att.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=160123&group=rec.arts.tv#160123

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2022 11:49:17 -0700
 by: BTR1701 - Sun, 9 Oct 2022 18:49 UTC

In article <thuubs$hij6$1@dont-email.me>,
Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

> Silver Bullet (blu-ray) 1985 horror movie written by Stephen King about
> a boy (Corey Haim) who with help from his drunk uncle (Gary Busey) try
> to stop a werewolf (Everett McGill). I watched this with the director's
> commentary. The director explained that this was his first movie and he
> wanted to make a PG-13 kid friendly movie, but the producer (Dino De
> Laurentiis) wanted a hard "R" movie and kept forcing him to include
> bloody graphic scenes and as a result the movie never properly gelled
> between the two visions. I don't get why not just embrace doing the
> hard "R" horror flick the producer wanted.

Especially because the source material-- King's novella CYCLE OF THE
WEREWOLF-- was extremely bloody and graphic. If you make it a
"kid-friendly" movie, every King fan who buys a ticket expecting an
intense horror movie is gonna be pissed.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-08 (Saturday)

<1438238638.687039105.098137.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=160138&group=rec.arts.tv#160138

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2022 13:15:56 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sun, 9 Oct 2022 20:15 UTC

BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
> In article <thuubs$hij6$1@dont-email.me>,
> Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
>
>> Silver Bullet (blu-ray) 1985 horror movie written by Stephen King about
>> a boy (Corey Haim) who with help from his drunk uncle (Gary Busey) try
>> to stop a werewolf (Everett McGill). I watched this with the director's
>> commentary. The director explained that this was his first movie and he
>> wanted to make a PG-13 kid friendly movie, but the producer (Dino De
>> Laurentiis) wanted a hard "R" movie and kept forcing him to include
>> bloody graphic scenes and as a result the movie never properly gelled
>> between the two visions. I don't get why not just embrace doing the
>> hard "R" horror flick the producer wanted.
>
> Especially because the source material-- King's novella CYCLE OF THE
> WEREWOLF-- was extremely bloody and graphic. If you make it a
> "kid-friendly" movie, every King fan who buys a ticket expecting an
> intense horror movie is gonna be pissed.

This is the werewolf movie Dino wanted to make when he tried to buy a
marvel comics property from Stan Lee.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-08 (Saturday)

<400858234.687039144.789154.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=160139&group=rec.arts.tv#160139

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2022 13:15:57 -0700

Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
> On 2022-10-09 16:54:20 +0000, Arthur Lipscomb said:

>>> Recorded for later: Bring It On: Cheer or Die (Siffy).
>>
>> Is this a parody?
>
> I'll let you know when I watch it!!
>
> But it stars Tiera Skovbye and Kerri Medders, which I think is the
> tip-off... ;)
>
>> To avoid Werewolf by Night spoilers that seemed to be popping up
>> everywhere, I slightly moved around my movie watching plans and watched:
>>

>> [snip]
>> Werewolf by Night (Disney+) New horror special set in the MCU.
>
> Rant: This is *not* a "TV special"!! A "TV special" is when you replace
> "regularly scheduled programming" with a "one-off" TV program (like a
> "Peanuts" or Christmas special). There is *no* "regularly scheduled"
> programming on a streamer. Ergo, this is not a "TV special"! - it's
> just a "one-off". I dunno what you call that, but it's not a "TV
> special"!!
>
> Unfortunately, the idiots in the entertainment media have already taken
> to calling this a "special", even though it's nothing of the sort.

While I enjoyed it quite a bit I’m not sure what the hell it was. It’s too
long for an episode of a series and Too $hort for a movie and if it’s a
Pilot for something they killed off everybody interesting!

Bonus points for an excellent man thing.

Your IMDb article says that the female lead is from the Nevers. But I have
no way of seeing that. Did they even ever drop all of that or did it die
with Joss?

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-08 (Saturday)

<s5c6kh97lrngmdgp9i4mlmdo20u2312m4s@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=160145&group=rec.arts.tv#160145

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2022 16:45:17 -0400
 by: shawn - Sun, 9 Oct 2022 20:45 UTC

On Sun, 9 Oct 2022 13:15:57 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
wrote:

>Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:

>>> Is this a parody?
>>
>> I'll let you know when I watch it!!
>>
>> But it stars Tiera Skovbye and Kerri Medders, which I think is the
>> tip-off... ;)
>>
>>> To avoid Werewolf by Night spoilers that seemed to be popping up
>>> everywhere, I slightly moved around my movie watching plans and watched:
>>>

>>> [snip]
>>> Werewolf by Night (Disney+) New horror special set in the MCU.
>>
>> Rant: This is *not* a "TV special"!! A "TV special" is when you replace
>> "regularly scheduled programming" with a "one-off" TV program (like a
>> "Peanuts" or Christmas special). There is *no* "regularly scheduled"
>> programming on a streamer. Ergo, this is not a "TV special"! - it's
>> just a "one-off". I dunno what you call that, but it's not a "TV
>> special"!!
>>
>> Unfortunately, the idiots in the entertainment media have already taken
>> to calling this a "special", even though it's nothing of the sort.

Hey, when Marvel calls it a "Special Presentation" then so say we all.
Not sure what else they could call it as it isn't a pilot (or at least
it's not presented as one) and it isn't being presented as a movie.

>While I enjoyed it quite a bit I’m not sure what the hell it was. It’s too
>long for an episode of a series and Too $hort for a movie and if it’s a
>Pilot for something they killed off everybody interesting!

I don't know about that. The most interesting was the werewolf and his
Man-Thing.

>Bonus points for an excellent man thing.
>
>Your IMDb article says that the female lead is from the Nevers. But I have
>no way of seeing that. Did they even ever drop all of that or did it die
>with Joss?

Laura Donelly is the lead from the NEVERS but we still haven't seen
the second season (or second part of the first season) yet. Not sure
what they are waiting for. An article I read says that it may come
after THE WHITE LOTUS finishes on HBO in December. It's almost
certainly finished with all of the post processing so HBO can throw it
"on air" when ever they wish.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-08 (Saturday)

<thvcaq$iqjc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=160147&group=rec.arts.tv#160147

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2022 13:52:43 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sun, 9 Oct 2022 20:52 UTC

On 2022-10-09 20:45:17 +0000, shawn said:

> On Sun, 9 Oct 2022 13:15:57 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
> wrote:
>> Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:

>>> I'll let you know when I watch it!!
>>>
>>> But it stars Tiera Skovbye and Kerri Medders, which I think is the
>>> tip-off... ;)

>>> Rant: This is *not* a "TV special"!! A "TV special" is when you replace
>>> "regularly scheduled programming" with a "one-off" TV program (like a
>>> "Peanuts" or Christmas special). There is *no* "regularly scheduled"
>>> programming on a streamer. Ergo, this is not a "TV special"! - it's
>>> just a "one-off". I dunno what you call that, but it's not a "TV
>>> special"!!
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, the idiots in the entertainment media have already taken
>>> to calling this a "special", even though it's nothing of the sort.
>
> Hey, when Marvel calls it a "Special Presentation" then so say we all.
> Not sure what else they could call it as it isn't a pilot (or at least
> it's not presented as one) and it isn't being presented as a movie.

"Film", "short film" or "television program" would all be acceptable.

But it's not a "TV special"!!

>> While I enjoyed it quite a bit I’m not sure what the hell it was. It’s too
>> long for an episode of a series and Too $hort for a movie and if it’s a
>> Pilot for something they killed off everybody interesting!
>
> I don't know about that. The most interesting was the werewolf and his
> Man-Thing.
>
>> Bonus points for an excellent man thing.
>>
>> Your IMDb article says that the female lead is from the Nevers. But I have
>> no way of seeing that. Did they even ever drop all of that or did it die
>> with Joss?
>
> Laura Donelly is the lead from the NEVERS but we still haven't seen
> the second season (or second part of the first season) yet. Not sure
> what they are waiting for. An article I read says that it may come
> after THE WHITE LOTUS finishes on HBO in December. It's almost
> certainly finished with all of the post processing so HBO can throw it
> "on air" when ever they wish.

Yeah, someone on Reddit claimed the rumor was they'd release the second
half of "The Nevers" around December. I'll believe it when I see it...

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-08 (Saturday)

<1609657624.687064927.462067.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=160185&group=rec.arts.tv#160185

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2022 20:50:51 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Mon, 10 Oct 2022 03:50 UTC

> On Sun, 9 Oct 2022 13:15:57 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:

>>> I'll let you know when I watch it!!
>>>
>>> But it stars Tiera Skovbye and Kerri Medders, which I think is the
>>> tip-off... ;)

>>> Rant: This is *not* a "TV special"!! A "TV special" is when you replace
>>> "regularly scheduled programming" with a "one-off" TV program (like a
>>> "Peanuts" or Christmas special). There is *no* "regularly scheduled"
>>> programming on a streamer. Ergo, this is not a "TV special"! - it's
>>> just a "one-off". I dunno what you call that, but it's not a "TV
>>> special"!!
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, the idiots in the entertainment media have already taken
>>> to calling this a "special", even though it's nothing of the sort.
>
> Hey, when Marvel calls it a "Special Presentation" then so say we all.
> Not sure what else they could call it as it isn't a pilot (or at least
> it's not presented as one) and it isn't being presented as a movie.
>

>> While I enjoyed it quite a bit I’m not sure what the hell it was. It’s too
>> long for an episode of a series and Too $hort for a movie and if it’s a
>> Pilot for something they killed off everybody interesting!
>
> I don't know about that. The most interesting was the werewolf and his
> Man-Thing.

Well, technically Man-Thing is dead. At least his donor, Ted Sallis, is.

Jack Russell is as good as dead. He surrendered his human life to the wolf,
before becoming the ugliest dog in Hawaii.

Elsa Bloodstone… I didn’t know much about her beyond her being a blatant
Buffy Summers rip off (would we consider Buffy to be alive?). I guess Elsa
is alive although I’m not sure I’d consider her human at this point.
Certainly all her friends, relatives, and roommates are dead.

>> Bonus points for an excellent man thing.
>>
>> Your IMDb article says that the female lead is from the Nevers. But I have
>> no way of seeing that. Did they even ever drop all of that or did it die
>> with Joss?
>
> Laura Donelly is the lead from the NEVERS but we still haven't seen
> the second season (or second part of the first season) yet. Not sure
> what they are waiting for. An article I read says that it may come
> after THE WHITE LOTUS finishes on HBO in December. It's almost
> certainly finished with all of the post processing so HBO can throw it
> "on air" when ever they wish.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-08 (Saturday)

<1664185309.687066394.914798.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=160186&group=rec.arts.tv#160186

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2022 20:50:52 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Mon, 10 Oct 2022 03:50 UTC

Ian J. Ball <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:
> On 2022-10-09 20:45:17 +0000, shawn said:
>
>> On Sun, 9 Oct 2022 13:15:57 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
>> wrote:

>> Hey, when Marvel calls it a "Special Presentation" then so say we all.
>> Not sure what else they could call it as it isn't a pilot (or at least
>> it's not presented as one) and it isn't being presented as a movie.
>
> "Film", "short film" or "television program" would all be acceptable.
>
> But it's not a "TV special"!!

The Wikipedia article is going to make you crazy.

>>> While I enjoyed it quite a bit I’m not sure what the hell it was. It’s too
>>> long for an episode of a series and Too $hort for a movie and if it’s a
>>> Pilot for something they killed off everybody interesting!
>>
>> I don't know about that. The most interesting was the werewolf and his
>> Man-Thing.
>>
>>> Bonus points for an excellent man thing.
>>>
>>> Your IMDb article says that the female lead is from the Nevers. But I have
>>> no way of seeing that. Did they even ever drop all of that or did it die
>>> with Joss?
>>
>> Laura Donelly is the lead from the NEVERS but we still haven't seen
>> the second season (or second part of the first season) yet. Not sure
>> what they are waiting for. An article I read says that it may come
>> after THE WHITE LOTUS finishes on HBO in December. It's almost
>> certainly finished with all of the post processing so HBO can throw it
>> "on air" when ever they wish.
>
> Yeah, someone on Reddit claimed the rumor was they'd release the second
> half of "The Nevers" around December. I'll believe it when I see it...

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-08 (Saturday)

<1326816747.687069732.783607.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=160195&group=rec.arts.tv#160195

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2022 22:00:51 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Mon, 10 Oct 2022 05:00 UTC

Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
> I watched:
>

> What did you watch?

Hey, thanks for asking!

INSP had a little Robert Mitchum film festival.

RIVER OF NO RETURN with Marilyn Monroe, tiny redheaded, but not lassie.
They spent a couple hours on a raft trying to get to a matte painting of a
town. I would love to see this in the widescreen version that God intended.
But I think now it’s had its one viewing. Marilyn goes for a swim in the
river that is unseen at least by the audience (I have no idea if it was
edited or not) and her redressing is rudely interrupted by the obligatory
attempted rape by Robert Mitchum which is rudely interrupted by a mountain
lion attack which is rudely interrupted by a couple of trappers with guns
which is rudely interrupted by dinner which is rudely interrupted by
another attempted rape… Ian’s various articles about the movie keep talking
about how fond of the pet raccoon Marilyn became but I never saw the damn
thing. In the town where they first start out they try and make us believe
she’s just a show girl who just sings for her supper with a different fancy
gown for each different fancy song. But halfway through the movie Mitchum
points out that she was just a whore. I guess they sanitized part of it but
not the whole thing.

THE WAY WEST with all kinds of people including Kirk Douglas, Robert
Mitchum, Lola Albright, and amazing debut of Sally Field, and introducing
one of my favorites, a Katherine Justice. A wagon train heads for Oregon in
1843. This really really really needs to be seen in its proper aspect
ratio.

WEREWOLF BY NIGHT
Discussed elsewhere. I quite enjoyed this but I’m still not sure why they
made it. Jack Russell in the comics knows Phil Spiderman, and moon knight,
and Morbius, and man thing, and many others.

12 O’CLOCK HIGH S03E02
The pretty dreadful color episodes continue as do Paul Burke’s desperate
attempts to prove he can’t act.

DEATH IN PARADISE Christmas 2021 parts one & Two
Poor Neville. He’ll just never get a shot at the Copette babe.

BLUE BLOODS season 13 opening.
Discussed elsewhere.

A couple season two episodes of VEGA$.
Barbi Benton has a thankless Albeit mostly naked guest shot as Dan’s newest
squeeze who dies in a Word for Word remake of what they did to Jo Ann
Harris in season one. Tony Curtis is Roth won’t return now until season
three.

> --
> Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-08 (Saturday)

<ti0erl$oclv$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=160200&group=rec.arts.tv#160200

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2022 23:41:57 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Mon, 10 Oct 2022 06:41 UTC

On 10/9/2022 10:00 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
>> I watched:
>>

>> What did you watch?
>
> Hey, thanks for asking!
>
> INSP had a little Robert Mitchum film festival.

snip

> WEREWOLF BY NIGHT
> Discussed elsewhere. I quite enjoyed this but I’m still not sure why they
> made it. Jack Russell in the comics knows Phil Spiderman, and moon knight,
> and Morbius, and man thing, and many others.

And now they can introduce new monsters for a team up or just to show up
in an upcoming movie. Now sure if this is widely known or not, but the
guy who directed it, Michael Giacchino, is also a professional movie
music scorer. He's written the scores for lots of famous movies, and
did the score for Werewolf By Night. He talks a little about why they
made it during the D23 Expo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtVdVLW-vh4

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-08 (Saturday)

<1311470166.687099866.191247.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=160226&group=rec.arts.tv#160226

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2022 06:30:32 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Mon, 10 Oct 2022 13:30 UTC

Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
> On 10/9/2022 10:00 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
>>> I watched:
>>>

>>> What did you watch?
>>
>> Hey, thanks for asking!
>>
>> INSP had a little Robert Mitchum film festival.
>>
> snip
>>
>> WEREWOLF BY NIGHT
>> Discussed elsewhere. I quite enjoyed this but I’m still not sure why they
>> made it. Jack Russell in the comics knows Phil Spiderman, and moon knight,
>> and Morbius, and man thing, and many others.
>>

> And now they can introduce new monsters for a team up or just to show up
> in an upcoming movie. Now sure if this is widely known or not, but the
> guy who directed it, Michael Giacchino, is also a professional movie
> music scorer. He's written the scores for lots of famous movies, and
> did the score for Werewolf By Night. He talks a little about why they
> made it during the D23 Expo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtVdVLW-vh4

Cool, thanks!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-08 (Saturday)

<ti3kd8$13c9p$8@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=160348&group=rec.arts.tv#160348

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2022 04:30:47 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Tue, 11 Oct 2022 08:30 UTC

atropos@mac.com wrote:
> Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>> Silver Bullet (blu-ray) 1985 horror movie written by Stephen King about
>> a boy (Corey Haim) who with help from his drunk uncle (Gary Busey) try
>> to stop a werewolf (Everett McGill). I watched this with the director's
>> commentary. The director explained that this was his first movie and he
>> wanted to make a PG-13 kid friendly movie, but the producer (Dino De
>> Laurentiis) wanted a hard "R" movie and kept forcing him to include
>> bloody graphic scenes and as a result the movie never properly gelled
>> between the two visions. I don't get why not just embrace doing the
>> hard "R" horror flick the producer wanted.
>
>Especially because the source material-- King's novella CYCLE OF THE
>WEREWOLF-- was extremely bloody and graphic. If you make it a
>"kid-friendly" movie, every King fan who buys a ticket expecting an
>intense horror movie is gonna be pissed.

Doesn't that happen with Stephen King movies about 99% of the time?

--
Let's go Brandon!