What an author likes to write most is his signature on the back of a cheque. -- Brendan Francis

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: The Outfit (2021)

SubjectAuthor
* The Outfit (2021)Adam H. Kerman
+- Re: The Outfit (2021)Ian J. Ball
+* Re: The Outfit (2021)anim8rfsk
|`* Re: The Outfit (2021)Adam H. Kerman
| `* Re: The Outfit (2021)anim8rfsk
|  `* Re: The Outfit (2021)Adam H. Kerman
|   `- Re: The Outfit (2021)anim8rfsk
`- Re: The Outfit (2021)chromebook test

1
The Outfit (2021)

<ti0fkt$obbs$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=160201&group=rec.arts.tv#160201

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: The Outfit (2021)
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2022 06:55:25 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Mon, 10 Oct 2022 06:55 UTC

I finally got around to seeing this.

It's fun. A nice psychological thriller mostly done on one set. I looked
at the closing credits and didn't see a studio credit but a playhouse.
Maybe the sets truly were built on a theater stage, closed due to the
pandemic.

One big surprise: I thought it was set in London. No, it was produced in
London but set in Chicago in 1956.

Mark Rylance, born in Kent, uses an English accent. I have no idea if
that's his natural speaking voice. Over the years, I've mainly heard him
using a Midwestern accent (which is English spoke with no accent at
all), which he does perfectly.

My grandfather was a tailor and certainly learned to cut cloth as
Leonard had. At one point in the dialogue, he's quite snide about having
been called a tailor. He says he's a cutter. Tailors just sew buttons.

Unlike Leonard, my grandfather made both men's and women's clothes.

Leonard finds that his brand-new shop is to be used as a message drop by
the Roy Boyle gang. They keep getting mysterious messages from The
Outfit, organized crime central. Yes, it's a pun. That it's a pun is
important to the plot.

Leonard doesn't want to be under the thumb of criminals and is troubled
that his receptionist Mable (Zoey Deutch) is flirting, and later dating,
the violent moronic son of Boyle, Richie (Dylan O'Brien).

A gang war is stirred up between Doyle and the LaFontaie gang. I had no
idea there was a French gang in Chicago. Richie gets shot. Guess who
gets to stitch him up. Richie recovers.

There's a tape recording from an FBI bug. Everybody wants the tape. A
Boyle henchman Francis tells Leonard about the tape. Richie and Francis
are already at odds over Francis's accusations against unknowns that
there's a rat. Leonard plays mind games with these two.

It's worth watching. I borrowed a BluRay from the library.

Re: The Outfit (2021)

<ti16j4$qo72$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=160225&group=rec.arts.tv#160225

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: The Outfit (2021)
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2022 06:27:00 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Mon, 10 Oct 2022 13:27 UTC

On 2022-10-10 06:55:25 +0000, Adam H. Kerman said:

> I finally got around to seeing this.

This is also on my list - I just haven't gotten to it. (And my current
movie backlog is growing, not shrinking!!)

Re: The Outfit (2021)

<106927154.687100683.342024.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=160227&group=rec.arts.tv#160227

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2022 06:30:33 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Mon, 10 Oct 2022 13:30 UTC

https://youtu.be/eE8XgmfV4X0

> It's fun. A nice psychological thriller mostly done on one set. I looked
> at the closing credits and didn't see a studio credit but a playhouse.
> Maybe the sets truly were built on a theater stage, closed due to the
> pandemic.
>
> One big surprise: I thought it was set in London. No, it was produced in
> London but set in Chicago in 1956.
>
> Mark Rylance, born in Kent, uses an English accent. I have no idea if
> that's his natural speaking voice. Over the years, I've mainly heard him
> using a Midwestern accent (which is English spoke with no accent at
> all), which he does perfectly.
>
> My grandfather was a tailor and certainly learned to cut cloth as
> Leonard had. At one point in the dialogue, he's quite snide about having
> been called a tailor. He says he's a cutter. Tailors just sew buttons.
>
> Unlike Leonard, my grandfather made both men's and women's clothes.
>
> Leonard finds that his brand-new shop is to be used as a message drop by
> the Roy Boyle gang. They keep getting mysterious messages from The
> Outfit, organized crime central. Yes, it's a pun. That it's a pun is
> important to the plot.
>
> Leonard doesn't want to be under the thumb of criminals and is troubled
> that his receptionist Mable (Zoey Deutch) is flirting, and later dating,
> the violent moronic son of Boyle, Richie (Dylan O'Brien).
>
> A gang war is stirred up between Doyle and the LaFontaie gang. I had no
> idea there was a French gang in Chicago. Richie gets shot. Guess who
> gets to stitch him up. Richie recovers.
>
> There's a tape recording from an FBI bug. Everybody wants the tape. A
> Boyle henchman Francis tells Leonard about the tape. Richie and Francis
> are already at odds over Francis's accusations against unknowns that
> there's a rat. Leonard plays mind games with these two.
>
> It's worth watching. I borrowed a BluRay from the library.

Re: The Outfit (2021)

<ti1763$qop7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=160232&group=rec.arts.tv#160232

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2022 13:37:07 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Mon, 10 Oct 2022 13:37 UTC

anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

>>I finally got around to seeing this.

>https://youtu.be/eE8XgmfV4X0

Fine. The screenwriter went with a gag that was already running.
>>. . .
>>Leonard finds that his brand-new shop is to be used as a message drop by
>>the Roy Boyle gang. They keep getting mysterious messages from The
>>Outfit, organized crime central. Yes, it's a pun. That it's a pun is
>>important to the plot. . . .

Re: The Outfit (2021)

<946880472.687106977.511611.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=160236&group=rec.arts.tv#160236

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2022 08:12:19 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Mon, 10 Oct 2022 15:12 UTC

Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>> Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
>
>>> I finally got around to seeing this.
>
>> https://youtu.be/eE8XgmfV4X0
>
> Fine. The screenwriter went with a gag that was already running.

No offense intended. It’s just what I think of when somebody mentions an
outfit. We used to listen to this on my dad’s four track tape deck and his
work car.

Re: The Outfit (2021)

<ti1j6b$rpkv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=160245&group=rec.arts.tv#160245

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2022 17:02:03 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Mon, 10 Oct 2022 17:02 UTC

anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
>>anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

>>>https://youtu.be/eE8XgmfV4X0

>>Fine. The screenwriter went with a gag that was already running.

>No offense intended. It's just what I think of when somebody mentions an
>outfit. We used to listen to this on my dad's four track tape deck and his
>work car.

Great story

This is a newsgroup populated by people who react to anything that gets
mentioned with pop-culture references from decades ago.

I do stuff like that all the time myself. I was just speculating that perhaps
the screenwriter had the same thought as you!

Re: The Outfit (2021)

<829948509.687133751.439586.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=160303&group=rec.arts.tv#160303

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2022 15:29:28 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Mon, 10 Oct 2022 22:29 UTC

Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>> Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

>>> Fine. The screenwriter went with a gag that was already running.
>
>> No offense intended. It's just what I think of when somebody mentions an
>> outfit. We used to listen to this on my dad's four track tape deck and his
>> work car.
>
> Great story
>
> This is a newsgroup populated by people who react to anything that gets
> mentioned with pop-culture references from decades ago.
>
> I do stuff like that all the time myself. I was just speculating that perhaps
> the screenwriter had the same thought as you!

:)

Re: The Outfit (2021)

<c170c7e9-d6d0-4266-b8b3-1882a408aeedn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=160305&group=rec.arts.tv#160305

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2022 15:35:29 -0700 (PDT)
From: chromium...@gmail.com (chromebook test)
 by: chromebook test - Mon, 10 Oct 2022 22:35 UTC

On Monday, October 10, 2022 at 2:55:30 AM UTC-4, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> I finally got around to seeing this.
>
> It's fun. A nice psychological thriller

I snagged a copy and placed it on the PLEX server, watched the 1st 10 minutes, it was interesting enough i'll finish it tonight or tomorrow.