Watch your mouth, kid, or you'll find yourself floating home. -- Han Solo

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: [OT] Hospital humiliates helpless patient

SubjectAuthor
* [OT] Hospital humiliates helpless patientRhino
+- Re: [OT] Hospital humiliates helpless patienttrotsky
+* Re: [OT] Hospital humiliates helpless patientanim8rfsk
|`* Re: [OT] Hospital humiliates helpless patientRhino
| `* Re: [OT] Hospital humiliates helpless patientA Friend
|  +- Re: [OT] Hospital humiliates helpless patientanim8rfsk
|  `* Re: [OT] Hospital humiliates helpless patientRhino
|   `* Re: [OT] Hospital humiliates helpless patientA Friend
|    `- Re: [OT] Hospital humiliates helpless patientRhino
`* Re: [OT] Hospital humiliates helpless patientThe Horny Goat
 `- Re: [OT] Hospital humiliates helpless patientsuzeeq

1
[OT] Hospital humiliates helpless patient

<ti3jca$13f4r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=160344&group=rec.arts.tv#160344

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: [OT] Hospital humiliates helpless patient
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2022 07:17:29 -0400
 by: Rhino - Tue, 11 Oct 2022 11:17 UTC

A hospital in Newfoundland has taken a picture (or pictures) of the
genitals of a helpless patient but refuses to explain what it has done
about the situation.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/long-term-care-baie-verte-inappropriate-photos-1.6610105

The man whose genitals were photographed appears to be too far gone to
understand what happened but his family is understandably furious.

How the hell did anyone manage to convince themselves that there was a
good reason to take these pictures?

--
Rhino

Re: [OT] Hospital humiliates helpless patient

<ti3k6l$9ho$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=160347&group=rec.arts.tv#160347

From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: [OT] Hospital humiliates helpless patient
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2022 06:31:33 -0500
 by: trotsky - Tue, 11 Oct 2022 11:31 UTC

On 10/11/2022 6:17 AM, Rhino wrote:
> A hospital in Newfoundland has taken a picture (or pictures) of the
> genitals of a helpless patient but refuses to explain what it has done
> about the situation.
>
> https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/long-term-care-baie-verte-inappropriate-photos-1.6610105
>
> The man whose genitals were photographed appears to be too far gone to
> understand what happened but his family is understandably furious.
>
> How the hell did anyone manage to convince themselves that there was a
> good reason to take these pictures?

I heard it takes a lot of balls to do that.

Re: [OT] Hospital humiliates helpless patient

<717858392.687188163.038811.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=160356&group=rec.arts.tv#160356

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2022 06:45:20 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Tue, 11 Oct 2022 13:45 UTC

> A hospital in Newfoundland has taken a picture (or pictures) of the
> genitals of a helpless patient but refuses to explain what it has done
> about the situation.
>
> https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/long-term-care-baie-verte-inappropriate-photos-1.6610105
>
> The man whose genitals were photographed appears to be too far gone to
> understand what happened but his family is understandably furious.
>
> How the hell did anyone manage to convince themselves that there was a
> good reason to take these pictures?

The thing that mystifies me most is why the hell they called the family and
told them what they did especially while withholding further information.

Re: [OT] Hospital humiliates helpless patient

<ti3te0$147h8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=160361&group=rec.arts.tv#160361

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2022 10:08:53 -0400
 by: Rhino - Tue, 11 Oct 2022 14:08 UTC

On 2022-10-11 9:45 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> Rhino <no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:
>> A hospital in Newfoundland has taken a picture (or pictures) of the
>> genitals of a helpless patient but refuses to explain what it has done
>> about the situation.
>>
>> https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/long-term-care-baie-verte-inappropriate-photos-1.6610105
>>
>> The man whose genitals were photographed appears to be too far gone to
>> understand what happened but his family is understandably furious.
>>
>> How the hell did anyone manage to convince themselves that there was a
>> good reason to take these pictures?
>>

> The thing that mystifies me most is why the hell they called the family and
> told them what they did especially while withholding further information.

I'm guessing the hospital's lawyer(s) told them that admitting to what
happened was somehow "better" legally than having the family find out
some other way. Maybe they avoid a lawsuit for negligence if they admit
it before the family found out on its own.

As for not giving more information about what the hospital did, they've
played the confidentiality card so I expect that the offending employee
could sue them if he/she was named publicly so they've dealt with the
matter in-house, which could mean anything from a reprimand/wrist-slap
to outright dismissal depending on how valuable they felt the employee
to be.

--
Rhino

Re: [OT] Hospital humiliates helpless patient

<111020221018038750%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=160362&group=rec.arts.tv#160362

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2022 10:18:03 -0400
 by: A Friend - Tue, 11 Oct 2022 14:18 UTC

In article <ti3te0$147h8$1@dont-email.me>, Rhino
<no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:

> On 2022-10-11 9:45 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> > Rhino <no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:
> >> A hospital in Newfoundland has taken a picture (or pictures) of the
> >> genitals of a helpless patient but refuses to explain what it has done
> >> about the situation.
> >>

> >> https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/long-term-care-baie-ve
> >> rte-inappropriate-photos-1.6610105
> >>
> >> The man whose genitals were photographed appears to be too far gone to
> >> understand what happened but his family is understandably furious.
> >>
> >> How the hell did anyone manage to convince themselves that there was a
> >> good reason to take these pictures?
> >>

> > The thing that mystifies me most is why the hell they called the family and
> > told them what they did especially while withholding further information.
> >
> I'm guessing the hospital's lawyer(s) told them that admitting to what
> happened was somehow "better" legally than having the family find out
> some other way. Maybe they avoid a lawsuit for negligence if they admit
> it before the family found out on its own.
>
> As for not giving more information about what the hospital did, they've
> played the confidentiality card so I expect that the offending employee
> could sue them if he/she was named publicly so they've dealt with the
> matter in-house, which could mean anything from a reprimand/wrist-slap
> to outright dismissal depending on how valuable they felt the employee
> to be.

I was the clerk in an ICU about fifty years ago. Surgeons routinely
took post-op pictures of their work if they were teachers, or if they
were writing a textbook. Some of the doctors would toss off an order
to me to get the patient to sign a release. I never did because it
wasn't my job, and I didn't have any releases on hand anyway.

Re: [OT] Hospital humiliates helpless patient

<414797574.687195287.182547.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=160366&group=rec.arts.tv#160366

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2022 08:36:35 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Tue, 11 Oct 2022 15:36 UTC

A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:
> In article <ti3te0$147h8$1@dont-email.me>, Rhino
> <no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:

>>> The thing that mystifies me most is why the hell they called the family and
>>> told them what they did especially while withholding further information.
>>>
>> I'm guessing the hospital's lawyer(s) told them that admitting to what
>> happened was somehow "better" legally than having the family find out
>> some other way. Maybe they avoid a lawsuit for negligence if they admit
>> it before the family found out on its own.
>>
>> As for not giving more information about what the hospital did, they've
>> played the confidentiality card so I expect that the offending employee
>> could sue them if he/she was named publicly so they've dealt with the
>> matter in-house, which could mean anything from a reprimand/wrist-slap
>> to outright dismissal depending on how valuable they felt the employee
>> to be.
>

> I was the clerk in an ICU about fifty years ago. Surgeons routinely
> took post-op pictures of their work if they were teachers, or if they
> were writing a textbook. Some of the doctors would toss off an order
> to me to get the patient to sign a release. I never did because it
> wasn't my job, and I didn't have any releases on hand anyway.

Yeah, I can imagine there are a lot of legitimate reasons to take pictures
of anatomy whether it’s had a procedure or not. But the whole thing is
still weird.

Re: [OT] Hospital humiliates helpless patient

<ti434e$14mkj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=160368&group=rec.arts.tv#160368

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2022 11:46:22 -0400
 by: Rhino - Tue, 11 Oct 2022 15:46 UTC

On 2022-10-11 10:18 AM, A Friend wrote:
> In article <ti3te0$147h8$1@dont-email.me>, Rhino
> <no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:

>>> The thing that mystifies me most is why the hell they called the family and
>>> told them what they did especially while withholding further information.
>>>
>> I'm guessing the hospital's lawyer(s) told them that admitting to what
>> happened was somehow "better" legally than having the family find out
>> some other way. Maybe they avoid a lawsuit for negligence if they admit
>> it before the family found out on its own.
>>
>> As for not giving more information about what the hospital did, they've
>> played the confidentiality card so I expect that the offending employee
>> could sue them if he/she was named publicly so they've dealt with the
>> matter in-house, which could mean anything from a reprimand/wrist-slap
>> to outright dismissal depending on how valuable they felt the employee
>> to be.
>

> I was the clerk in an ICU about fifty years ago. Surgeons routinely
> took post-op pictures of their work if they were teachers, or if they
> were writing a textbook. Some of the doctors would toss off an order
> to me to get the patient to sign a release. I never did because it
> wasn't my job, and I didn't have any releases on hand anyway.

That might be a reasonable ground for the picture-taking if the patient
had just undergone a surgery of (or affecting) his genitals but this
patient had Huntingdon's, a brain disorder, and there's no indication
that he had any surgery. I'm not a doctor but I'm having trouble
believing that a surgery for Huntingdon's - if there is such a surgery
(I am under the impression that there is nothing to be done about
Huntingdon's) - would affect his genitals. Of course I could be wrong
about surgeries for Huntingdon's or their effects on genitalia.

Other than that, your theory makes sense for the reticence of the
hospital in disclosing what they did about the picture-taker: they're
protecting a surgeon whose career might otherwise be in jeopardy and who
they might have trouble replacing.

I wonder if it might be something as simple as a prank gone wrong?
Somebody put a naive young newcomer up to taking the pictures claiming
that one of the doctors needed it but that someone fairly important was
ultimately responsible (despite having not suggested it or approved of
it) and the hospital wanted to save that person's ass?

--
Rhino

Re: [OT] Hospital humiliates helpless patient

<q2ebkhtpktadq21seidnhp1va6sk73bnm6@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=160383&group=rec.arts.tv#160383

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2022 11:41:50 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Tue, 11 Oct 2022 18:41 UTC

On Tue, 11 Oct 2022 07:17:29 -0400, Rhino
<no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:

>A hospital in Newfoundland has taken a picture (or pictures) of the
>genitals of a helpless patient but refuses to explain what it has done
>about the situation.
>
>https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/long-term-care-baie-verte-inappropriate-photos-1.6610105
>
>The man whose genitals were photographed appears to be too far gone to
>understand what happened but his family is understandably furious.
>
>How the hell did anyone manage to convince themselves that there was a
>good reason to take these pictures?

Truly a very good question.

I remember my 17 year old son's reaction when an older relative
(suffering from dementia) exposed himself (nobody but family present
mercifully) and like you say one has to wonder why anybody thought
such a photograph was a good thing.

Even by Newfoundland standards. (For non-Canadians, Newfies tend to
get the kind of jokes Okies or Alabamans get)

Re: [OT] Hospital humiliates helpless patient

<111020221448426274%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=160384&group=rec.arts.tv#160384

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2022 14:48:42 -0400
 by: A Friend - Tue, 11 Oct 2022 18:48 UTC

In article <ti434e$14mkj$1@dont-email.me>, Rhino
<no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:

> On 2022-10-11 10:18 AM, A Friend wrote:
> > In article <ti3te0$147h8$1@dont-email.me>, Rhino
> > <no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:

> >> I'm guessing the hospital's lawyer(s) told them that admitting to what
> >> happened was somehow "better" legally than having the family find out
> >> some other way. Maybe they avoid a lawsuit for negligence if they admit
> >> it before the family found out on its own.
> >>
> >> As for not giving more information about what the hospital did, they've
> >> played the confidentiality card so I expect that the offending employee
> >> could sue them if he/she was named publicly so they've dealt with the
> >> matter in-house, which could mean anything from a reprimand/wrist-slap
> >> to outright dismissal depending on how valuable they felt the employee
> >> to be.
> >

> > I was the clerk in an ICU about fifty years ago. Surgeons routinely
> > took post-op pictures of their work if they were teachers, or if they
> > were writing a textbook. Some of the doctors would toss off an order
> > to me to get the patient to sign a release. I never did because it
> > wasn't my job, and I didn't have any releases on hand anyway.
>
> That might be a reasonable ground for the picture-taking if the patient
> had just undergone a surgery of (or affecting) his genitals but this
> patient had Huntingdon's, a brain disorder, and there's no indication
> that he had any surgery. I'm not a doctor but I'm having trouble
> believing that a surgery for Huntingdon's - if there is such a surgery
> (I am under the impression that there is nothing to be done about
> Huntingdon's) - would affect his genitals. Of course I could be wrong
> about surgeries for Huntingdon's or their effects on genitalia.
>
> Other than that, your theory makes sense for the reticence of the
> hospital in disclosing what they did about the picture-taker: they're
> protecting a surgeon whose career might otherwise be in jeopardy and who
> they might have trouble replacing.
>
> I wonder if it might be something as simple as a prank gone wrong?
> Somebody put a naive young newcomer up to taking the pictures claiming
> that one of the doctors needed it but that someone fairly important was
> ultimately responsible (despite having not suggested it or approved of
> it) and the hospital wanted to save that person's ass?

I've never heard of someone pranking a person like that, especially at
the expense of a patient. A couple of the doctors were truly
dickheads, but I never witnessed abuse of that sort.

Re: [OT] Hospital humiliates helpless patient

<ti4h03$15sao$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=160392&group=rec.arts.tv#160392

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2022 15:42:59 -0400
 by: Rhino - Tue, 11 Oct 2022 19:42 UTC

On 2022-10-11 2:48 PM, A Friend wrote:
> In article <ti434e$14mkj$1@dont-email.me>, Rhino
> <no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2022-10-11 10:18 AM, A Friend wrote:

>>> I was the clerk in an ICU about fifty years ago. Surgeons routinely
>>> took post-op pictures of their work if they were teachers, or if they
>>> were writing a textbook. Some of the doctors would toss off an order
>>> to me to get the patient to sign a release. I never did because it
>>> wasn't my job, and I didn't have any releases on hand anyway.
>>
>> That might be a reasonable ground for the picture-taking if the patient
>> had just undergone a surgery of (or affecting) his genitals but this
>> patient had Huntingdon's, a brain disorder, and there's no indication
>> that he had any surgery. I'm not a doctor but I'm having trouble
>> believing that a surgery for Huntingdon's - if there is such a surgery
>> (I am under the impression that there is nothing to be done about
>> Huntingdon's) - would affect his genitals. Of course I could be wrong
>> about surgeries for Huntingdon's or their effects on genitalia.
>>
>> Other than that, your theory makes sense for the reticence of the
>> hospital in disclosing what they did about the picture-taker: they're
>> protecting a surgeon whose career might otherwise be in jeopardy and who
>> they might have trouble replacing.
>>
>> I wonder if it might be something as simple as a prank gone wrong?
>> Somebody put a naive young newcomer up to taking the pictures claiming
>> that one of the doctors needed it but that someone fairly important was
>> ultimately responsible (despite having not suggested it or approved of
>> it) and the hospital wanted to save that person's ass?
>

> I've never heard of someone pranking a person like that, especially at
> the expense of a patient. A couple of the doctors were truly
> dickheads, but I never witnessed abuse of that sort.

Well, it's been 50 years since you worked in a hospital. A whole lot of
other things have changed in 50 years so the sort of pranks hospital
staff do might have changed too. Heck, I remember when there were two
just two genders and no one could even imagine any other possibility.
That's obviously changed enormously so why not hospital decorum?

Or maybe it was some kind of staff member who is simply a pervert of
some kind. Maybe he'd been caught at it before, got warned not to do it
again, and then did it again anyway and got fired. Maybe the hospital is
staying quiet because they don't want to admit that he had previously
gotten into trouble but still kept his job for fear that they will be
sued for being too lax with this individual.

I'm speculating here, just as you were, but in the absence of any
further information, that's pretty much all we can do.

--
Rhino

Re: [OT] Hospital humiliates helpless patient

<ti4hgb$5ppg$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=160395&group=rec.arts.tv#160395

From: suz...@imbris.com (suzeeq)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2022 12:51:38 -0700
 by: suzeeq - Tue, 11 Oct 2022 19:51 UTC

On 10/11/2022 11:41 AM, The Horny Goat wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Oct 2022 07:17:29 -0400, Rhino
> <no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:
>
>> A hospital in Newfoundland has taken a picture (or pictures) of the
>> genitals of a helpless patient but refuses to explain what it has done
>> about the situation.
>>
>> https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/long-term-care-baie-verte-inappropriate-photos-1.6610105
>>
>> The man whose genitals were photographed appears to be too far gone to
>> understand what happened but his family is understandably furious.
>>
>> How the hell did anyone manage to convince themselves that there was a
>> good reason to take these pictures?
>
> Truly a very good question.
>
> I remember my 17 year old son's reaction when an older relative
> (suffering from dementia) exposed himself (nobody but family present
> mercifully) and like you say one has to wonder why anybody thought
> such a photograph was a good thing.
>
> Even by Newfoundland standards. (For non-Canadians, Newfies tend to
> get the kind of jokes Okies or Alabamans get)

Or Arkies.