From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-10 (Monday)
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2022 04:30:41 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Tue, 11 Oct 2022 08:30 UTC

After an arduous workout, I watched:

Nothing.

What did you watch?

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-10 (Monday)

<ti3rsu$143k6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=160355&group=rec.arts.tv#160355

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-10 (Monday)
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2022 06:42:55 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Tue, 11 Oct 2022 13:42 UTC

On 2022-10-11 08:30:41 +0000, Ubiquitous said:

> What did you watch?

A long workday, but I still managed to get through:

House of the Dragon (HBO Max) - "The Lord of the Tides" (ep. #1.8). Can
we just give Paddy Considine the Emmy now?!
Considine really blows 'em all away in this one.
Lord Corlys is apparently mortally wounded in battle (the Triarchy
is back!!), off-screen, though I'm going to guess that we haven't seen
the last of him.
Corlys' brother, Ser Vaemond, immediately challenges Corlys'
succession plan, which is to have Rhaenyra's middle son, Lucerys,
succeed him a lord of Driftmark, because of the whole "bastard" thing.
Corlys' wife Princess Rhaenys refuses to go along with him. So Vaemond
appeals to petition the crown to be named Corlys' successor instead of
Lucerys.
This forces Rhaenyra to do the same, though of course the "Greens"
(i.e. Alicent and Otto Hightower) intend to grant Vaemond's petition to
further weaken Rhaenyra's claim to the throne, as they now run the show
with King Viserys aged, ailing, and enfeebled.
So everyone's going to King's Landing!
In King's Landing, Rhaenyra tries to broker a "deal" with Rhaenys
(who still believes that Rhaenyra had her sone "killed" (why wouldn't
they let Rhaenys in on the ruse?!!) - to marry Rhaenyra's two older
sons off to the daughters of Daemon and the now-dead Laena's daughters.
Rhaenys basically brushes off the idea, knowing that Rhaenyra's
petition to keep the standing succession plan will be denied by the
Hightowers.
Rhaenyra and Daemon visit Viserys, and see just how sick he is - he
is barely conscious, with his disease (leprosy?) far advanced.
(Sidenote: Rhaenyra and Daemon now have two sons of their own,
including one named after King Viserys.)
But after Rhaenyra pleads with him, Viserys decides to rally one
last time - he demands a dinner with his family with Otto (who can
scarcely decline this time!).
Even more amazingly, Viserys shows up at the petition hearing, and
righteously slaps Ser Vaemond down. At the same time, seeing the tide
turned, Rhaenys pubicly agrees to Rhaenys' offer to wed their children.
Vaemond snaps, and publicly accuses Rhaenyra's sons of being bastards,
and calls her a whore. Viserys demands his tongue, but Daemon executes
Vaemond on the spot.
That evening, Viserys holds his family dinner, where he manages to
get nearly everyone to play nice. But it falls apart after Viserys is
forced to leave.
Later, with his dying breaths, a confused Viserys tries to finish a
conversation he had with Rhaenyra, about the "prophecy", but instead
talks to a confused Alicent, who takes Viserys' words as a green light
to install her wretched, rapist son Aegon as King, no matter what.
Next episode: Looks like they send assassins after Rhaenyra! You
know what they say - If you try to kill the Queen, you had *better
actually kill* the Queen!!

soaps: DOOL (Peacock) - Chad chickens out on a drunken f***-fest with
NuStephanie. (Boo!! - We know they're going to end up together
anyway!!) Ridiculously, crazy Allie and Chanel actually carry through
on the "threesome" with that idiot hunk of beef, Alex Kirakis. Slimy
lawyer Sloan does blackmail Paulina Price over something in Chanel's
past (they don't tell us what it was, but I'm going to guess it was
homicide), though Sloan is doing it on behalf of a "client". Asshole EJ
drives Ava out of town (too bad, though Ava was right when she said her
storyline was "over" - there really wasn't anything left to do with
Ava, unfortunately...), and Johnny swears to make EJ pay for it no
matter what it takes. (I really hate this version of EJ...)
GH (via Hulu, which now seems to have "same day" episodes, which I
don't think they had before! YaY!! No ads!!!) - The Hook Killer's (aka.
Esme!) latest victim is discovered, and I can't believe no one has put
two-and-two together yet to figure out that all the victims are tied to
*Esme*! Ava races home to tell Nikolas who the latest victim is. Esme
tries to break into the Cassadine safe, but is caught by Nikolas!...
It's the reception after Brando's funeral, and Gladys counsels Sonny to
try to bury the hatchet with Micahel. Tediously, Nina continues to
think Willow and TJ are having an affair, and warns TJ not to get on
Michael's bad side. Josslyn continues to butt in, and tries to convince
Dex to quit working for Sonny.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-10 (Monday)

<ti41c0$5nn6$2@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=160365&group=rec.arts.tv#160365

From: suz...@imbris.com (suzeeq)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2022 08:16:15 -0700
 by: suzeeq - Tue, 11 Oct 2022 15:16 UTC

On 10/11/2022 6:42 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> [...]
>   Later, with his dying breaths, a confused Viserys tries to finish a
> conversation he had with Rhaenyra, about the "prophecy", but instead
> talks to a confused Alicent, who takes Viserys' words as a green light
> to install her wretched, rapist son Aegon as King, no matter what.
>   Next episode: Looks like they send assassins after Rhaenyra! You know
> what they say - If you try to kill the Queen, you had *better actually
> kill* the Queen!!
>
> soaps: DOOL (Peacock) - Chad chickens out on a drunken f***-fest with
> NuStephanie. (Boo!! - We know they're going to end up together anyway!!)
> Ridiculously, crazy Allie and Chanel actually carry through on the
> "threesome" with that idiot hunk of beef, Alex Kirakis. Slimy lawyer
> Sloan does blackmail Paulina Price over something in Chanel's past (they
> don't tell us what it was, but I'm going to guess it was homicide),

Thought she had video? My guess is that it was drugs or maybe drunk
driving.

> though Sloan is doing it on behalf of a "client". Asshole EJ drives Ava
> out of town (too bad, though Ava was right when she said her storyline
> was "over" - there really wasn't anything left to do with Ava,
> unfortunately...), and Johnny swears to make EJ pay for it no matter
> what it takes. (I really hate this version of EJ...)

This is classic EJ though.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-10 (Monday)

<ti4c8c$15g4p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=160380&group=rec.arts.tv#160380

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2022 09:47:32 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Tue, 11 Oct 2022 16:47 UTC

On 10/11/2022 6:42 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> On 2022-10-11 08:30:41 +0000, Ubiquitous said:
>
>> What did you watch?
>
> A long workday, but I still managed to get through:
>
> House of the Dragon (HBO Max) - "The Lord of the Tides" (ep. #1.8). Can
> we just give Paddy Considine the Emmy now?!
>   Considine really blows 'em all away in this one.
>   Lord Corlys is apparently mortally wounded in battle (the Triarchy is
> back!!), off-screen, though I'm going to guess that we haven't seen the
> last of him.
>   Corlys' brother, Ser Vaemond, immediately challenges Corlys'
> succession plan, which is to have Rhaenyra's middle son, Lucerys,
> succeed him a lord of Driftmark, because of the whole "bastard" thing.
> Corlys' wife Princess Rhaenys refuses to go along with him. So Vaemond
> appeals to petition the crown to be named Corlys' successor instead of
> Lucerys.
>   This forces Rhaenyra to do the same, though of course the "Greens"
> (i.e. Alicent and Otto Hightower) intend to grant Vaemond's petition to
> further weaken Rhaenyra's claim to the throne, as they now run the show
> with King Viserys aged, ailing, and enfeebled.
>   So everyone's going to King's Landing!

And receive a welcome as befitting their station.

>   In King's Landing, Rhaenyra tries to broker a "deal" with Rhaenys
> (who still believes that Rhaenyra had her sone "killed" (why wouldn't
> they let Rhaenys in on the ruse?!!) - to marry Rhaenyra's two older sons
> off to the daughters of Daemon and the now-dead Laena's daughters.
> Rhaenys basically brushes off the idea, knowing that Rhaenyra's petition
> to keep the standing succession plan will be denied by the Hightowers.
>   Rhaenyra and Daemon visit Viserys, and see just how sick he is - he
> is barely conscious, with his disease (leprosy?) far advanced.
> (Sidenote: Rhaenyra and Daemon now have two sons of their own, including
> one named after King Viserys.)
>   But after Rhaenyra pleads with him, Viserys decides to rally one last
> time - he demands a dinner with his family with Otto (who can scarcely
> decline this time!).
>   Even more amazingly, Viserys shows up at the petition hearing, and
> righteously slaps Ser Vaemond down. At the same time, seeing the tide
> turned, Rhaenys pubicly agrees to Rhaenys' offer to wed their children.
> Vaemond snaps, and publicly accuses Rhaenyra's sons of being bastards,
> and calls her a whore. Viserys demands his tongue, but Daemon executes
> Vaemond on the spot.

"Say it."
"He can keep his tongue."

>   That evening, Viserys holds his family dinner, where he manages to
> get nearly everyone to play nice. But it falls apart after Viserys is
> forced to leave.
>   Later, with his dying breaths, a confused Viserys tries to finish a
> conversation he had with Rhaenyra, about the "prophecy", but instead
> talks to a confused Alicent, who takes Viserys' words as a green light
> to install her wretched, rapist son Aegon as King, no matter what.

I think I missed that.

>   Next episode: Looks like they send assassins after Rhaenyra! You know
> what they say - If you try to kill the Queen, you had *better actually
> kill* the Queen!!

As my DVR approached critical overload, after deleting several movies to
recover some space, I watched:

Reginald the Vampire (SyFy) - Peter Parker's best friend becomes a
reluctant vampire. I guess the pilot was OK.

Law & Order SVU - "Mirror Effect" - I'm not even going to try to make
sense of this plot.

Quantum Leap - "A Decent Proposal" - Ben leaps into a female bounty
hunter in the 80s. I knew this episode would tie directly into an
original series episode, and thought about watching it first, but my DVR
is just so ridiculously full that I did not time to waste on old shows
so I just powered through without the recap. Interestingly they now say
when someone is lept into the person whose body is taken has no memory
of the experience. I was half asleep and falling asleep towards the end
of this one so there's a chance I missed something important, in spite
of rewinding back the ending several times.

9-1-1 - "Animal Instincts" - If they put animal in the title, then I
demand animals in every segment!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-10 (Monday)

<gmidnQVnnZeIxtr-nZ2dnZfqnPhg4p2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=160594&group=rec.arts.tv#160594

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2022 00:25:57 +0000
 by: BTR1701 - Thu, 13 Oct 2022 00:25 UTC

On Oct 11, 2022 at 6:42:55 AM PDT, "Ian J. Ball" <IJBall@mac.invalid> wrote:

> On 2022-10-11 08:30:41 +0000, Ubiquitous said:
>
>> What did you watch?
>
> A long workday, but I still managed to get through:
>
> House of the Dragon (HBO Max) - "The Lord of the Tides" (ep. #1.8). Can
> we just give Paddy Considine the Emmy now?!
> Considine really blows 'em all away in this one.
> Lord Corlys is apparently mortally wounded in battle (the Triarchy
> is back!!), off-screen, though I'm going to guess that we haven't seen
> the last of him.
> Corlys' brother, Ser Vaemond, immediately challenges Corlys'
> succession plan, which is to have Rhaenyra's middle son, Lucerys,
> succeed him a lord of Driftmark, because of the whole "bastard" thing.
> Corlys' wife Princess Rhaenys refuses to go along with him. So Vaemond
> appeals to petition the crown to be named Corlys' successor instead of
> Lucerys.
> This forces Rhaenyra to do the same, though of course the "Greens"
> (i.e. Alicent and Otto Hightower) intend to grant Vaemond's petition to
> further weaken Rhaenyra's claim to the throne, as they now run the show
> with King Viserys aged, ailing, and enfeebled.
> So everyone's going to King's Landing!
> In King's Landing, Rhaenyra tries to broker a "deal" with Rhaenys
> (who still believes that Rhaenyra had her sone "killed" (why wouldn't
> they let Rhaenys in on the ruse?!!) - to marry Rhaenyra's two older
> sons off to the daughters of Daemon and the now-dead Laena's daughters.
> Rhaenys basically brushes off the idea, knowing that Rhaenyra's
> petition to keep the standing succession plan will be denied by the
> Hightowers.
> Rhaenyra and Daemon visit Viserys, and see just how sick he is - he
> is barely conscious, with his disease (leprosy?) far advanced.

I thought leprosy at first, too, but if that's what he has, they're being
awful cavalier with touching him, hugging him, etc., even letting him touch
their baby. Leprosy can be spread by touch, which is why lepers were always
isolated away from the general population. So now I don't think that's what he
has. Maybe it's some fictional Westerosi disease that has no real-world
analog. I guess it doesn't really matter. Whatever it is, it's horrible and
he'll be dead of it soon enough.

> (Sidenote: Rhaenyra and Daemon now have two sons of their own,
> including one named after King Viserys.)
> But after Rhaenyra pleads with him, Viserys decides to rally one
> last time - he demands a dinner with his family with Otto (who can
> scarcely decline this time!).
> Even more amazingly, Viserys shows up at the petition hearing, and
> righteously slaps Ser Vaemond down. At the same time, seeing the tide
> turned, Rhaenys pubicly agrees to Rhaenyra's offer to wed their children.
> Vaemond snaps, and publicly accuses Rhaenyra's sons of being bastards,
> and calls her a whore. Viserys demands his tongue, but Daemon executes
> Vaemond on the spot.

That's one helluva sharp sword Daemon has, isn't it?

> That evening, Viserys holds his family dinner, where he manages to
> get nearly everyone to play nice. But it falls apart after Viserys is
> forced to leave.
> Later, with his dying breaths, a confused Viserys tries to finish a
> conversation he had with Rhaenyra, about the "prophecy", but instead
> talks to a confused Alicent,

I was wondering if that's what was happening. It wasn't clear to me that he
thought he was talking to Rhaenyra instead of Alicent and I had to rewatch the
scene again.