Kiss me, Kate, we will be married o' Sunday. -- William Shakespeare, "The Taming of the Shrew"

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: People on TV who get shot in the body by high powered weapons

SubjectAuthor
* Re: People on TV who get shot in the body by high powered weaponsanim8rfsk
+- Re: People on TV who get shot in the body by high powered weaponstrotsky
`* Re: People on TV who get shot in the body by high powered weaponsRhino
 +- Re: People on TV who get shot in the body by high powered weaponsanim8rfsk
 `- Re: People on TV who get shot in the body by high powered weaponsDimensional Traveler

1
Re: People on TV who get shot in the body by high powered weapons

<2036170601.687437610.709530.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=160757&group=rec.arts.tv#160757

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: People on TV who get shot in the body by high powered weapons
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2022 03:55:19 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Fri, 14 Oct 2022 10:55 UTC

RichA <rander3128@gmail.com> wrote:
> The ones who don't die. They're up and around, no pain in the space of a
> day. I think the only time I've seen a real representation of a gunshot
> victim on TV was Tony on the Sopranos.

I like the ones, especially westerns, where the shooting victim is at
deaths door until somebody gets the bullet out and they instantly recover.

Re: People on TV who get shot in the body by high powered weapons

<tibfut$1stg$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=160758&group=rec.arts.tv#160758

From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2022 06:08:12 -0500
 by: trotsky - Fri, 14 Oct 2022 11:08 UTC

On 10/14/2022 5:55 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> RichA <rander3128@gmail.com> wrote:
>> The ones who don't die. They're up and around, no pain in the space of a
>> day. I think the only time I've seen a real representation of a gunshot
>> victim on TV was Tony on the Sopranos.
>>

> I like the ones, especially westerns, where the shooting victim is at
> deaths door until somebody gets the bullet out and they instantly recover.

Yes, westerns are very current on TV.

Re: People on TV who get shot in the body by high powered weapons

<tibnmh$2455j$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=160776&group=rec.arts.tv#160776

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2022 09:20:15 -0400
 by: Rhino - Fri, 14 Oct 2022 13:20 UTC

On 2022-10-14 6:55 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> RichA <rander3128@gmail.com> wrote:
>> The ones who don't die. They're up and around, no pain in the space of a
>> day. I think the only time I've seen a real representation of a gunshot
>> victim on TV was Tony on the Sopranos.
>>

> I like the ones, especially westerns, where the shooting victim is at
> deaths door until somebody gets the bullet out and they instantly recover.

I still remember a documentary I saw a few years ago where a real-life
ER doctor in a major city - Chicago (?) - was treating a gangbanger
who'd been hit in a drive-by. The patient was furious and deeply
surprised about a key element of the shooting: it HURT LIKE HELL. I
suppose he'd watched a whole lot of the kind of TV that we all have
where gunshot victims made quick and miraculous recoveries to major wounds.

The doctor decided to start setting the record straight. With the
consent of various patients, she built a slide show of pictures showing
the injuries gunshot victims had and the stages of recovery. Then she
took her slide show around to local high schools and show them in the
school auditorium. I still remember a photo which showed a person that
had been shot in the gut and how enormously swollen and discoloured the
victim's belly was many weeks after the shooting. It was a real
eye-opener. The documentary contained footage showing the reaction of
the students to the slide show. There were a lot of shocked faces and
some of the girls were crying and had to leave the room.

I think a LOT of reality got revealed in those presentations! I wonder
if the areas where the slide show was shown had any reduction in gun
violence after those presentations? If they did, I'd be inclined to make
such presentations mandatory - or at least HIGHLY recommended - in
schools that were in areas prone to gun violence. And maybe Hollywood -
and shooter games - could do more accurate portrayals of the
consequences of gunshot wounds as well. Eventually, the message out to
get out there and change behaviour; at least I want to think so. But
maybe the real-life shooters just ignore all of that and proceed
regardless. I just don't know.

--
Rhino

Re: People on TV who get shot in the body by high powered weapons

<27185952.687453986.520387.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=160784&group=rec.arts.tv#160784

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2022 08:28:29 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Fri, 14 Oct 2022 15:28 UTC

> On 2022-10-14 6:55 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>> RichA <rander3128@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> The ones who don't die. They're up and around, no pain in the space of a
>>> day. I think the only time I've seen a real representation of a gunshot
>>> victim on TV was Tony on the Sopranos.
>>>

>> I like the ones, especially westerns, where the shooting victim is at
>> deaths door until somebody gets the bullet out and they instantly recover.
>>
> I still remember a documentary I saw a few years ago where a real-life
> ER doctor in a major city - Chicago (?) - was treating a gangbanger
> who'd been hit in a drive-by. The patient was furious and deeply
> surprised about a key element of the shooting: it HURT LIKE HELL. I
> suppose he'd watched a whole lot of the kind of TV that we all have
> where gunshot victims made quick and miraculous recoveries to major wounds.
>
> The doctor decided to start setting the record straight. With the
> consent of various patients, she built a slide show of pictures showing
> the injuries gunshot victims had and the stages of recovery. Then she
> took her slide show around to local high schools and show them in the
> school auditorium. I still remember a photo which showed a person that
> had been shot in the gut and how enormously swollen and discoloured the
> victim's belly was many weeks after the shooting. It was a real
> eye-opener. The documentary contained footage showing the reaction of
> the students to the slide show. There were a lot of shocked faces and
> some of the girls were crying and had to leave the room.
>
> I think a LOT of reality got revealed in those presentations! I wonder
> if the areas where the slide show was shown had any reduction in gun
> violence after those presentations? If they did, I'd be inclined to make
> such presentations mandatory - or at least HIGHLY recommended - in
> schools that were in areas prone to gun violence. And maybe Hollywood -
> and shooter games - could do more accurate portrayals of the
> consequences of gunshot wounds as well. Eventually, the message out to
> get out there and change behaviour; at least I want to think so. But
> maybe the real-life shooters just ignore all of that and proceed
> regardless. I just don't know.

I’d be afraid these idiots would be MORE inclined to shoot somebody once
they realized it would hurt.

Re: People on TV who get shot in the body by high powered weapons

<tibvjc$25uho$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=160785&group=rec.arts.tv#160785

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2022 08:35:09 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Fri, 14 Oct 2022 15:35 UTC

On 10/14/2022 6:20 AM, Rhino wrote:
> On 2022-10-14 6:55 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>> RichA <rander3128@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> The ones who don't die.  They're up and around, no pain in the space
>>> of a
>>> day.  I think the only time I've seen a real representation of a gunshot
>>> victim on TV was Tony on the Sopranos.
>>>

>> I like the ones, especially westerns, where the shooting victim is at
>> deaths door until somebody gets the bullet out and they instantly
>> recover.
>>
> I still remember a documentary I saw a few years ago where a real-life
> ER doctor in a major city - Chicago (?) - was treating a gangbanger
> who'd been hit in a drive-by. The patient was furious and deeply
> surprised about a key element of the shooting: it HURT LIKE HELL. I
> suppose he'd watched a whole lot of the kind of TV that we all have
> where gunshot victims made quick and miraculous recoveries to major wounds.
>
> The doctor decided to start setting the record straight. With the
> consent of various patients, she built a slide show of pictures showing
> the injuries gunshot victims had and the stages of recovery. Then she
> took her slide show around to local high schools and show them in the
> school auditorium. I still remember a photo which showed a person that
> had been shot in the gut and how enormously swollen and discoloured the
> victim's belly was many weeks after the shooting. It was a real
> eye-opener. The documentary contained footage showing the reaction of
> the students to the slide show. There were a lot of shocked faces and
> some of the girls were crying and had to leave the room.
>
> I think a LOT of reality got revealed in those presentations! I wonder
> if the areas where the slide show was shown had any reduction in gun
> violence after those presentations? If they did, I'd be inclined to make
> such presentations mandatory - or at least HIGHLY recommended - in
> schools that were in areas prone to gun violence. And maybe Hollywood -
> and shooter games - could do more accurate portrayals of the
> consequences of gunshot wounds as well. Eventually, the message out to
> get out there and change behaviour; at least I want to think so. But
> maybe the real-life shooters just ignore all of that and proceed
> regardless.  I just don't know.

The real life gang-banger type shooters don't think about it, may not be
_capable_ of realistically thinking about it and if you try to tell them
about reality they will threaten and bully you into shutting up because
you are contradicting them.

dirty old man.