From: arspitz...@gmail.com (Arthur Spitzer)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.comics.creative
Subject: LNH: Classic LNH Adventures #264: The Sound of Clashing Metal The Conclusion
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2022 21:21:36 -0000 (UTC)
Sender: eagle@eyrie.org
d=1e100.net; s=20210112;
h=to:injection-date:from:subject:message-id:mime-version:user-agent
:nntp-posting-host:injection-info:date:newsgroups:path
:x-gm-message-state:from:to:cc:subject:date:message-id:reply-to;
bh=N0ROgnoLHvOvUJUnnW84oK3BvgO9nwO0/ajp2UxuwD4=;
b=y0mPyw0j6kobMA9v5aEW3drl+3HRqKWTOIrVAP+U8x/Ho8TKfnYL3mXT0AV5Nka51F
60IUauL6p4DssHLXgZIpPEKpZq9LA3Xs5ZBQzAFGjCo3nFucvaIAtDgnQH9DV5d5kejm
6ciBGt2VsDWsZb8tEKU85NWYmlzHcU2waO1kWKZHtClu9i/vVF6QOuqmbCjz/y4PmohO
Nj7MroMJueQKCV/iskkLkIjAMTK8MphWN2pxd5a6dwil+GdguWiRx4CsfMuzO8dkXC5d
4gl49gL8MWW7aMWFcIxcqpFcDDc1ZRkAMJ8BGf7zmmYAAOGIL9wKmNMcL41agpPgLK0q
jC0Q==
 by: Arthur Spitzer - Sun, 13 Nov 2022 21:21 UTC

30 Years of Legion of Net.Heroes (1992-2022)!

And we're back in the past and can check the eyrie archive
once again.

Here's where you can find The Sound of Clashing Metal as well as other
MISC LNH stories:

https://archives.eyrie.org/racc/lnh/Misc/

And we've got concluding parts of The Sound of Clashing Metal by Mark Friedman
and Dave Van Domelen (And a summary of #4 of this mini because Dave thought that
it was lost forever). How far will Sig.Lad, undercover superhero, go to keep his
cover? Snorting coke? Kicking puppies?! Distributing barbies that say, 'Math
is hard!' to young impressionable girls?!! And more importantly is it --
A TRAP?!!!!!!

Find out in...

_
| | Classic
| | =
| | ____ ____ _ ____ ___
| |__ | [] | | [] | | | | [] | | _ \

|____| \__] \__ | |_| \__/ |_|\_\
|_| OF NET.HEROES

ADVENTURES #264

=====================
The Sound of Clashing Metal The Conclusion
=====================

* * * *

PART THREE: Written by Netlurker aka Mark Friedman

Last issue, Sig Lad was poking around Netlurker's domain for an
entrance to NAIVE (New And Improved Virtual Environment) in hopes of
learning the whereabouts of Acton Lord's secret base...

We find Sig Lad already logged into the Internet...

* * * * * * * *

cerebro2 11:01pm 69> telnet python.cis.ohio-state 4201
<connected>
Welcome to NAIVE - New And Improved Virtual Environment

To connect to your existing character, enter "connect <name> <password>"
To create a new character, enter "create <name> <password>"
To use the guest character, enter "connect guest guest"
Use the news command to get up-to-date news on program changes.

You can disconnect using the QUIT command, which must be capitalized as shown.

Use the WHO command to find out who is currently active.
connect Solarmax truthjustice [Dvandom's actual character on NAIVE]
Cyberhall
This is where all the Cyber-Portals are. These allow the crew to explore
virtual realities from a computer hook-up. Kinda far-fetched, huh?
Portals: Lambda, Castle, sd1112
Obvious Exits: east
>@think Hmmmmm...
You think, "Hmmmmm..."
>WHO
Player Name On For Idle
Solarmax 00:01 0s
Netlurker 01:08 29s
2 users are connected
>look at me
A gosh-honest superhero! Wow!
HP:100/100 Level: 1 XP: 0
Carrying:
Solar Sword
Skinsuit
>say Oooops!
You say, "Oooops!"
>@describe me=A low-down supervillain! Run away!!!
Description set.
>say That's better...
You say, "That's better..."
>page Netlurker=Hey, I'm a low-down supervillain, dedicated to the
eradication of the Legion of Net.Heroes!
Your message has been sent.
Netlurker pages: Oh? We might be able to use you, then...go east and
then north to the Lounge.
>@think A-ha: I'm in!
You think, "A-ha: I'm in!
>go east
Hallway 31
You are at the north (forward) end of a long north-south hallway. To
the north is the Lounge, to the west is the Cyberhall, and to the east
is the Cafeteria. Obvious Exits: west, east, south, north
>go north
Lounge
This is where everyone hangs out most of the time when they're not in
Cold Storage. Couches and chairs line the rooms. You can look out the
front of the starship to the north. A bar sits in one corner of the
room.
Obvious Exits: bar, chair, couch, south
Contents:
Netlurker (sitting on a couch)
RoboTender (defunct)
Lerxst (sitting at the bar)
Rawhide (in a reclining chair)
>say Hello there...
You say, "Hello there..."
>look at Netlurker
It's kinda hard to get a good look at him, being hidden in the shadows
and all...
HP:500/500 Level: 24 XP: 1234570050
Carrying:
shotgun
lined coat
Netlurker says, "So ya wanna be a net.villain, eh?"
Netlurker says, "Okay...in 20 words or less: how evil are you?"
>say I'm so evil that I distibute those talking Barbie dolls that
say 'Math is hard!' to young, impressionable girls!
You say, "I'm so evil that I distibute those talking Barbie dolls that
say 'Math is hard!' to young, impressionable girls!"
Netlurker grins, "Ohhh! That *is* evil...I *do* think we can use you!"
Netlurker scribbles a note.
Netlurker says, "Go see Acton Lord at this port. Tell him Netlurker sent you."
Netlurker gave note to you.
>look at note
The note says: Acton Lord's new mud.address is 127.0.0.1 port 7
>say Thanks! See you around...keep kicking those puppies!"
You say, "Thanks! See you around. Oh, and keep kicking those puppies!"
Netlurker grins: "Oh, I will..."
Netlurker laughs maniacally!
>:waves.
Solarmax waves.
>QUIT
<disconnected>
---------------------------------------
cerebro2 11:05pm 70> telnet 127.0.0.1 7
Trying 127.0.0.1 ...
Connected to 127.0.0.1.
Escape character is '^]'.
Hello?
Hello?
help
help
menu
menu
Uh-oh...
Uh-oh...
^]
^]
Bugger: it's a TRAP!!!!
Bugger: it's a TRAP!!!!
^]
^]
HELLLLPPPP!!!
HELLLLPPPP!!!
^]
^]
*whine...*
*whine...*

* * * * * * * *

Acton Lord picked up the ringing phone, "Revenge to Go: `We
Serve it Cold...'"

"Yo, Netlurker here..."

"Ahhh! So you've returned to our dimension?"

"Yeah, and I now have someone you may be interested in. Sig
Lad is now languishing in an echo-server under my control..."

"Oh?"

"Yeah, he tried disguising himself on my MUD as a villain
named 'Solarmax' in hopes of infiltrating our ranks and getting to
your hideout. However, I pulled a WHO and found he was logged in from
the 'net.heroes.legion.com' domian. Dead giveaway...."

"What a maroon..."

"Exactly. So, what do you want to do to him?"

Acton Lord thought for a second. Then it came to him. "I
have a plan. Here's what we are going to do..."

* * * *

SOUND OF CLASHING METAL #4 - The Annotated Version
copyright 1992, 1996 Dave Van Domelen

[Thanks to Tori for providing the archive disk which contained, among
other things, this lost part of the Sound of Clashing Metal. Since the
gags in here may be too obscure for newer readers to get (frankly, *I* don't
get them all anymore), explanations and other comments will be provided in
brackets.]

Article 223 of alt.comics.lnh: [Ah, the good old days!]
Newsgroups: alt.comics.lnh
From: dva...@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (David VanDomelen)
Subject: Sig.Lad escapes!
Sender: ne...@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1992 18:44:01 GMT [I feel old.]

Sig.Lad fought off the ravening hordes of random characters that trapped
him in port 19, but it was no use. The flood of meaningless data was too
strong to swim against, and soon he was overcome by it. [Netlurker, at
Acton Lord's behest, had trapped Sig.Lad in an echo server in part 3.]
For what seemed to be an eternity (or was it an antarctic press?)
[Ninja High School was published by both Antarctic Press and Eternity in
its run.] Sig.Lad was bombarded with contradictory falsehoods and general
garbage. He tried to surround himself in a cocoon of .sigs to protect
himself, but it was no use. The bombardment penetrated even his thickest
..sigs. He felt himself going raving mad. Then he got better, regaining his
silent lucidity. But he was no longer the same net.persona he had been. He
was evil, in an insane sort of way, and reveled in it. [There ya go, a
complete rip-off of the Warlock/Magus origin from the Jim Starlin Warlock
series.]

Using the power his insanity gave him access to, he easily broke free
of the loop he was trapped in, and found himself back in early July. He
was no longer Sig.Lad...he was now and forevermore,

Click here to read the complete article
Re: LNH: Classic LNH Adventures #264: The Sound of Clashing Metal The Conclusion

<tlcdmk$3f089$3@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1608&group=rec.arts.comics.creative#1608

From: pwer...@gmail.com (Drew Nilium)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.comics.creative
Subject: Re: LNH: Classic LNH Adventures #264: The Sound of Clashing Metal The
Conclusion
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2022 05:24:45 -0000 (UTC)
Sender: eagle@eyrie.org
 by: Drew Nilium - Sun, 20 Nov 2022 05:24 UTC

On 11/13/22 4:21 PM, Arthur Spitzer wrote:
<snip>> How far will Sig.Lad, undercover superhero, go to keep his
> cover? Snorting coke? Kicking puppies?! Distributing barbies that say, 'Math
> is hard!' to young impressionable girls?!! And more importantly is it --
> A TRAP?!!!!!!

heeheeheehee

> Use the WHO command to find out who is currently active.
> connect Solarmax truthjustice [Dvandom's actual character on NAIVE]

Before that identity became an ASH character, yet!

>> look at me
> A gosh-honest superhero! Wow!
> HP:100/100 Level: 1 XP: 0
> Carrying:
> Solar Sword
> Skinsuit
>> say Oooops!
> You say, "Oooops!"
>> @describe me=A low-down supervillain! Run away!!!
> Description set.

This is basically how MU*s are, yeah. Though I've pretty much only played social
ones, with less RPG mechanics and more places to put interesting info about your
character (and, often, your kinks).

>> page Netlurker=Hey, I'm a low-down supervillain, dedicated to the
> eradication of the Legion of Net.Heroes!

heeheehee

>> @think A-ha: I'm in!
> You think, "A-ha: I'm in!

X3

> Netlurker says, "Okay...in 20 words or less: how evil are you?"
>> say I'm so evil that I distibute those talking Barbie dolls that
> say 'Math is hard!' to young, impressionable girls!

Heeheehee

> The note says: Acton Lord's new mud.address is 127.0.0.1 port 7

Sig.Lad isn't very technically inclined, eh. X3

> Bugger: it's a TRAP!!!!
> Bugger: it's a TRAP!!!!
> ^]
> ^]
> HELLLLPPPP!!!
> HELLLLPPPP!!!
> ^]
> ^]
> *whine...*
> *whine...*

heeheehee

Well. X>

> For what seemed to be an eternity (or was it an antarctic press?)
> [Ninja High School was published by both Antarctic Press and Eternity in
> its run.]

Aha. X3

> Then he got better, regaining his
> silent lucidity. But he was no longer the same net.persona he had been. He
> was evil, in an insane sort of way, and reveled in it. [There ya go, a
> complete rip-off of the Warlock/Magus origin from the Jim Starlin Warlock
> series.]
>
> Using the power his insanity gave him access to, he easily broke free
> of the loop he was trapped in, and found himself back in early July. He
> was no longer Sig.Lad...he was now and forevermore,
>
> *** ACTON LORD ***

DUN DUN DUNNNNN!

> "At last, my memory is restored! The contact with water broke the
> memory block I suffered from! I am truly,
> *** Claymore, the Sig.Warrior ***" [Namor, the Sub-Mariner. Yes, it
> was a lame gag.]

I would not have gotten this one without it being explained either. X>

> Thus, Claymore immediately felt compelled to swim to the arctic and
> hassle some eskimos (why are there eskimos in the Atlantic polar regions?
> Ask Kirby.).

X3;

> [And thus ended the Sound of Clashing Metal. Not with a bang, but
> with a segue into yet another gag.

Woooooo! \o/

Drew "ridiculous" Nilium

Re: LNH: Classic LNH Adventures #264: The Sound of Clashing Metal The Conclusion

<tldsb7$cj4$2@hope.eyrie.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1609&group=rec.arts.comics.creative#1609

From: dvan...@eyrie.org (Dave Van Domelen)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.comics.creative
Conclusion
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2022 18:40:42 -0000 (UTC)
Sender: eagle@eyrie.org
 by: Dave Van Domelen - Sun, 20 Nov 2022 18:40 UTC

In article <tlcdmk$3f089$3@dont-email.me>,
Drew Nilium <pwerdna@gmail.com> wrote:
>On 11/13/22 4:21 PM, Arthur Spitzer wrote:
>> Use the WHO command to find out who is currently active.
>> connect Solarmax truthjustice [Dvandom's actual character on NAIVE]
>
>Before that identity became an ASH character, yet!

Well, he had been an ASH character as early as 1989, but that was the
tabletop Champions campaign that was heavily mined for the ASH fiction
setting in 1994.

Dave Van Domelen, a little uncomfortable with his 1994 decision to put a
self-insert in ASH and probably should've changed the civilian ID, but not
about to retcon that now.

Re: LNH: Classic LNH Adventures #264: The Sound of Clashing Metal The Conclusion

<tletaq$3o201$4@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=1613&group=rec.arts.comics.creative#1613

From: pwer...@gmail.com (Drew Nilium)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.comics.creative
Conclusion
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2022 04:03:52 -0000 (UTC)
Sender: eagle@eyrie.org
 by: Drew Nilium - Mon, 21 Nov 2022 04:03 UTC

On 11/20/22 1:40 PM, Dave Van Domelen wrote:
> In article <tlcdmk$3f089$3@dont-email.me>,
> Drew Nilium <pwerdna@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 11/13/22 4:21 PM, Arthur Spitzer wrote:
>>> Use the WHO command to find out who is currently active.
>>> connect Solarmax truthjustice [Dvandom's actual character on NAIVE]
>>
>> Before that identity became an ASH character, yet!
>
> Well, he had been an ASH character as early as 1989, but that was the
> tabletop Champions campaign that was heavily mined for the ASH fiction
> setting in 1994.

:> Which is also hecka cool.

> Dave Van Domelen, a little uncomfortable with his 1994 decision to put a
> self-insert in ASH and probably should've changed the civilian ID, but not
> about to retcon that now.

Drew "100% pro-self-insert" Nilium