"Don't think; let the machine do it for you!" -- E. C. Berkeley

arts / rec.arts.tv / What Did You Watch? 2022-10-28 (Friday)

SubjectAuthor
* What Did You Watch? 2022-10-28 (Friday)Ubiquitous
+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-28 (Friday)anim8rfsk
|+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-28 (Friday)Arthur Lipscomb
||+- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-28 (Friday)anim8rfsk
||`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-28 (Friday)tenworld
|| `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-28 (Friday)anim8rfsk
|`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-28 (Friday)Ubiquitous
`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-28 (Friday)Ian J. Ball

1
What Did You Watch? 2022-10-28 (Friday)

<UBI20221028@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=162767&group=rec.arts.tv#162767

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-28 (Friday)
From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2022 04:30:41 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Sat, 29 Oct 2022 08:30 UTC

I watched:

THE UNXPLAINED:
"The Search For Extraterrestrial Life". Space. The Final Frontier and
the ultimate mystery. Scientists are involved in a never-ending quest
to understand the vast universe our planet inhabits.

THE UNXPLAINED:
"Real Life Monsters". For centuries, fantastic tales of terrifying
monsters have fascinated mankind. Bizarre beasts of all shapes and
sizes have been portrayed in some of history's most classic stories

THE PROOF IS OUT THERE:
"Bigfoot Photobombs Eagle's Nest, Mexican Blackbirds Dive To Their
Death, and Human Faced Fish". Examining if a trail camera in Michigan
capture footage of the elusive sasquatch; what caused a large flock of
blackbirds to plunge to their death in Mexico; is a ghostly phantom
that seemingly appears out of nowhere and literally walks through
traffic confirmation of a Filipino ghost legend; and is a human faced
fish in China the product of genetic modification. Tony and his team of
experts examine the evidence to find the truth.

What did you watch?

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-28 (Friday)

<974110239.688741738.964504.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=162782&group=rec.arts.tv#162782

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-28 (Friday)
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2022 06:33:44 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sat, 29 Oct 2022 13:33 UTC

Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
> I watched:
>

> What did you watch?

Hey, thanks for asking!

A bunch of third season VEGA$ episodes from the YouTube which are becoming
absolutely terrible with the addition of show killer Anne Collins.

BLUE BLOODS
Disgust elsewhere

ALASKA DAILY
Madre de Dios! Apparently they’ve decided or realized that the show is a
joke and started treating the show and the characters and the locale as a
joke.

It’s the Alaska State fair! Half of the population of Alaska comes to the
Alaska state fair. Which is a state fair right out of the musical from 50
years ago complete with who can grow the biggest cabbage contest being a
highlight.

So they say that 300,000 people come to the state fair and that that’s half
the people in Alaska. But Alaska has a population well over 700,000. So
they aren’t even getting basic math right.

All the reporters are excited to get their assignments, each of them
getting a different attraction like pig racing. Because no one reporter
could possibly cover two attractions at the state fair.

The guy who drives our heroine around gets his first assignment covering
the giant cabbage contest. A cute girl his age who looks alarmingly like
designing Jordan

https://www.j-14.com/posts/stefanie-scott-disses-disney-channel-selena-gomez-60788/

is the winner. But they won’t actually give her her ribbon until the next
day so they’re going to meet up again then. He decides he needs more
information for her story so he goes to visit her farm without calling
first and a series of events happen with people traveling and all kinds of
crap that clearly takes several days including going to church on Sunday
and then they hand out the ribbon. Which they very specifically said was
going to be the next day. And it’s like four or five days later. So the
show isn’t even getting basic temporal mechanics right.

It turns out her father is a nutcase stocking fertilizer to blow stuff up.
He apparently belongs to the same Luddite organization from the CW Tom
Swift. There’s some hemming and hawing about whether it would make a better
story if they let him kill a lot of people first. Basically this whole
thing feels like people in the writer’s room were spit balling and they
just wrote down and put in the script whatever they said and nobody did a
final draft to see that it all made sense.

Our heroine gets a note from her old boss. She gets another panic attack
and cracks her head open this time. She is mean to everybody around her
even the handful that don’t deserve it. She gets a death threat left on the
front desk of the newsroom because they just leave the place wide-open when
the receptionist goes on a potty break.

> --
> Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-28 (Friday)

<tjjg6q$3hsbm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=162793&group=rec.arts.tv#162793

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2022 08:17:30 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Sat, 29 Oct 2022 15:17 UTC

On 10/29/2022 6:33 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
>> I watched:
>>

>> What did you watch?
>
> Hey, thanks for asking!
>
> A bunch of third season VEGA$ episodes from the YouTube which are becoming
> absolutely terrible with the addition of show killer Anne Collins.
>
> BLUE BLOODS
> Disgust elsewhere
>
> ALASKA DAILY
> Madre de Dios! Apparently they’ve decided or realized that the show is a
> joke and started treating the show and the characters and the locale as a
> joke.
>
> It’s the Alaska State fair! Half of the population of Alaska comes to the
> Alaska state fair. Which is a state fair right out of the musical from 50
> years ago complete with who can grow the biggest cabbage contest being a
> highlight.
>
> So they say that 300,000 people come to the state fair and that that’s half
> the people in Alaska. But Alaska has a population well over 700,000. So
> they aren’t even getting basic math right.

Maybe they just didn't want to say 42.86 percent or whatever so they
rounded up?

I watched:

Penn & Teller Fool Us - "Four Fools and Counting..." - Helen Coghlan who
has already Fooled P&T 4 times returns and fools them a 5th time! And
she did it with two completely different tricks in the same act!
Although the first trick involved pouring liquid between two containers
where one container didn't have a bottom. I'm sure I've seen variations
of that trick before so I was expecting them to at least take a crack at
it. The second trick involved piercing solid glass without the glass
breaking or liquid in the glass spilling. The camera did an overhead
shot so you could see her doing it from multiple angles and tell she
actually did it. I have *no* idea how it was done, but I think I've
seen variations of it, I'm surprised they didn't at least guess. Then
again if P&T know how the trick is done and already know she didn't do
it that way, then there would be no pointing in guessing.

Superman/Shazam!: The Return of Black Adam (blu-ray) 2010 direct to
video animated short. It clocks in at only 25 minutes, but there are
other shorts on the disc to help pad out the running time. The plot is
basically Clark Kent and Billy Batson are having breakfast to discuss an
article Clark is writing about the orphan boy when Black Adam shows up
trying to kill the kid before he can get his powers. Superman tries to
intervene but thanks to magic Black Adam is able to get the upper hand,
but just in the nick of time Billy meets a wizard and before you can say
Shazam, Captain Marvel is there to save the day.

Wendell & Wild (Netflix) New stop motion animated film written and
directed by Henry Selick from a screenplay co-written by Jordan Peele.
Peele and his usual collaborated Keegan-Michael Key play a pair of
demons who worm their way into the good graces of a orphan school girl
who has the power to talk to demons. I guess it was OK. I didn't
really give it my full attention. No fault of the movie, visually at
least it looked great. I was just multitasking. Stay through all the
credits...

Cobra Kai (Netflix) - "Molé" - I finally got around to watching episode
2. Picking up where 1 ended Chozen (the villain from karate Kid 2 who
is now on the side of good) has infiltrated Cobra Kai posing as a
potential new sensei. But Silver (the villain from Karate Kid 3)
catches on to him and we get to see Chozen vs. Cobra Kai.

The Peripheral (Amazon streaming) - "Haptic Drift" - A pretty good
episode 3. Chloë Grace Moretz confirms that while she does not know
*what* happened she can clearly tell that most humans in the future are
dead.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-28 (Friday)

<1602945792.688750724.025637.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=162794&group=rec.arts.tv#162794

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2022 08:42:57 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sat, 29 Oct 2022 15:42 UTC

Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
> On 10/29/2022 6:33 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>> Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
>>> I watched:
>>>

>>> What did you watch?
>>
>> Hey, thanks for asking!
>>
>> A bunch of third season VEGA$ episodes from the YouTube which are becoming
>> absolutely terrible with the addition of show killer Anne Collins.
>>
>> BLUE BLOODS
>> Disgust elsewhere
>>
>> ALASKA DAILY
>> Madre de Dios! Apparently they’ve decided or realized that the show is a
>> joke and started treating the show and the characters and the locale as a
>> joke.
>>
>> It’s the Alaska State fair! Half of the population of Alaska comes to the
>> Alaska state fair. Which is a state fair right out of the musical from 50
>> years ago complete with who can grow the biggest cabbage contest being a
>> highlight.
>>
>> So they say that 300,000 people come to the state fair and that that’s half
>> the people in Alaska. But Alaska has a population well over 700,000. So
>> they aren’t even getting basic math right.
>>

> Maybe they just didn't want to say 42.86 percent or whatever so they
> rounded up?

How about “that’s the entire population of Anchorage!“

> I watched:
>

> The Peripheral (Amazon streaming) - "Haptic Drift" - A pretty good
> episode 3. Chloë Grace Moretz confirms that while she does not know
> *what* happened she can clearly tell that most humans in the future are
> dead.

The ads are now screaming TIME TRAVEL STORY!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-28 (Friday)

<tjjivb$3ihu0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=162798&group=rec.arts.tv#162798

From: IJB...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2022 09:04:59 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sat, 29 Oct 2022 16:04 UTC

On 2022-10-29 08:30:41 +0000, Ubiquitous said:

> What did you watch?

I was super tired Friday evening, and even just recorded the LMN Friday
night flick for later viewing because I didn't have enough juice left
to watch it all. I also skipped soaps.

So the only thing I watched was:

Walker: Independence (recorded) - "Pax Romana" (ep. #1.4).
There was another quote in the episode, "Sharks in the water"(?), I
think from Kate, that would have made a much better episode title.
As predicted, this epie was *much* better than episode #4, though it
probably tried to cover too much ground.
Abby confronts Kate (holding Kate's gun on her), and they both come
clean with each other about who they really are. Discovering that Kate
is a Pinkerton agent, Abby realizes Kate can help her nail "sheriff"
Tom Davidson, and Abby inaugurates Kate into her "Scooby club". Hoyt is
less than thrilled.
A relation of Davidson's, Teresa (Valerie Cruz) - I couldn't figure
out if she was supposed to be his wife or his sister! they never made
it clear - shows up in town. She is fancy, and seems persnickety, and
appears to be calling the shots on Tom. Teresa goes to saloon owner
Hagan (Mark Sheppard) and presures to buy him out. When Hagan doesn't
immediately accept her offer, she has a shady henchman poison Hagan's
snake-oil tonic.
The same shady (junkie?) henchman (Travis Hammer) also somehow knows
Kai, from San Francisco, and blackmails Kai over a crime Kai committed
there.
Sidenote: Kai is quickly becoming a deus ex machina, and is almost
degenerating into the stereotypical "oriental-shaman" type with all the
stuff Kai can do (e.g. run a restaurant, and cleaning service, and his
knowledge of eastern medicine, *plus* he can make clothes and is
apparently a budding fashion designer!!). Come on.
Sidenote #2: They seem to have forgotten already that Abby is
recovering from a bullet wound.
Hagan is trying to run a "founder's day" show for the town to stave
off Teresa Donovan's "offer" to buy him out, but when poisoned, Kate
and Abby take over running/MC'ing the show (in another deus ex machina,
Abby can apparently "sight read" music and play it perfectly!), and
explicitly target the sheriff in their acts... Of course, this is all a
contrivance to let Katie Findlay sing again, which she is good at (she
rather stole the show on "Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist" when she did
the same there). Davidson is insulted and leaves. This allows Davidson
to save Kai from the blackmailer, and Davidson runs the thug out of
town before Kai is forced to murder him.
Kate is horrified to find out that the Davidsons successfully forced
Hagan to sell (I believe Teresa blackmailed Hagan to sell somehow), and
Kate tears a strip off the departing Hagan, who looks to be written out
of the show. (I guess Sheppard's not destined to be this show's "Al
Swearengen" after all!!) Tom Davidson is now Kate's boss. I think he
wants to fire her, but Teresa talks him out of it.
Kate warns Abby and the Scoobies that whatver is going on is far
worse than they thought.
The scenes for the next episode went in one ear and out the other,
so whatever it was wasn't very memorable.

Recorded for later: My Nightmare Office Affiar (off LMN), and GH.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-28 (Friday)

<CW-dnfBjAqnzBMD-nZ2dnZfqnPSdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=162841&group=rec.arts.tv#162841

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2022 17:21:09 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Sat, 29 Oct 2022 21:21 UTC

anim8rfsk@cox.net wrote:
>Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:

>> What did you watch?
>
>Hey, thanks for asking!
>
>ALASKA DAILY
>Madre de Dios! Apparently they've decided or realized that the show is a
>joke and started treating the show and the characters and the locale as a
>joke.

I assumed this show was ripping off elements from NORTHERN EXPOSURE the
first time I heard about it.

>It's the Alaska State fair! Half of the population of Alaska comes to the
>Alaska state fair. Which is a state fair right out of the musical from 50
>years ago complete with who can grow the biggest cabbage contest being a
>highlight.
>
>So they say that 300,000 people come to the state fair and that that's half
>the people in Alaska. But Alaska has a population well over 700,000. So
>they aren't even getting basic math right.

It could be hyperbole on their part, not based on the last census.

>All the reporters are excited to get their assignments, each of them
>getting a different attraction like pig racing. Because no one reporter
>could possibly cover two attractions at the state fair.
>
>The guy who drives our heroine around gets his first assignment covering
>the giant cabbage contest. A cute girl his age who looks alarmingly like
>designing Jordan is the winner. But they won't actually give her her ribbon
>until the next day so they're going to meet up again then. He decides he
>needs more information for her story so he goes to visit her farm without
>calling first and a series of events happen with people traveling and all
>kinds of crap that clearly takes several days including going to church on
>Sunday and then they hand out the ribbon. Which they very specifically said
>was going to be the next day. And it’s like four or five days later. So
>the show isn't even getting basic temporal mechanics right.
>
>It turns out her father is a nutcase stocking fertilizer to blow stuff up.
>He apparently belongs to the same Luddite organization from the CW Tom
>Swift. There's some hemming and hawing about whether it would make a better
>story if they let him kill a lot of people first. Basically this whole
>thing feels like people in the writer's room were spit balling and they
>just wrote down and put in the script whatever they said and nobody did a
>final draft to see that it all made sense.
>
>Our heroine gets a note from her old boss. She gets another panic attack
>and cracks her head open this time. She is mean to everybody around her
>even the handful that don't deserve it. She gets a death threat left on the
>front desk of the newsroom because they just leave the place wide-open when
>the receptionist goes on a potty break.

I am glad I decided against watching that show!

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-28 (Friday)

<8043ab2b-719f-41ed-a8df-ef7991ecd424n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=162896&group=rec.arts.tv#162896

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2022 09:35:45 -0700 (PDT)
From: ten...@world.std.com (tenworld)
 by: tenworld - Sun, 30 Oct 2022 16:35 UTC

On Saturday, October 29, 2022 at 11:17:51 AM UTC-4, Arthur Lipscomb wrote:
> On 10/29/2022 6:33 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> > Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:
> >> I watched:
> >>

> >> What did you watch?
> >
> > Hey, thanks for asking!

> > BLUE BLOODS
> > Disgust elsewhere

Baez looked really hot too bad the scene was so short. I expect more when she finally hooks up
with Danny

I dont understand yet what "intelligence" sargeants do. Are they part of IA?

Re: What Did You Watch? 2022-10-28 (Friday)

<1822440276.688848742.635340.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=162913&group=rec.arts.tv#162913

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2022 11:54:55 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Sun, 30 Oct 2022 18:54 UTC

tenworld <ten@world.std.com> wrote:
> On Saturday, October 29, 2022 at 11:17:51 AM UTC-4, Arthur Lipscomb wrote:

>>> Hey, thanks for asking!
>

>>> BLUE BLOODS
>>> Disgust elsewhere
>>>
> Baez looked really hot too bad the scene was so short. I expect more when
> she finally hooks up
> with Danny
>
> I dont understand yet what "intelligence" sargeants do. Are they part of IA?

Ian wrote a Wikipedia article about it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_City_Police_Department_Intelligence_Bureau?wprov=sfti1