Newsgroups: rec.arts.books
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2023 00:23:23 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Character and Intelligence
From: ibsham...@gmail.com (Ilya Shambat)
 by: Ilya Shambat - Fri, 20 Jan 2023 08:23 UTC

I had a friend from Serbia. She was talking about how bad the people from Kosovo were. I asked her, “If they are so bad, aren’t you glad that they are gone?” She said, “Yes, I’m glad that they are gone, but the land is ours.”

People will always find reasons to be miserable, and people will always find reasons to be jerks. I’ve known any number of people who saw their partners as bad people. The problem is as follows. They were getting all sorts of things out of their relationships with their partners. And if you are getting good things out of your relationship with your partner, then you are obligated to be good to your partner whatever you think her character to be.

I had a friend who commented, “People are so smart, yet there are so many problems.” I responded, “People are smart enough to make big problems for themselves.” That someone is smart does not mean that he is good. Both Marx and Hitler were smart, but neither was a good guy.

So we have some people who think that smart people are worse than the average person, and we have people who think that smart people are better than the average person. Both are wrong. Your intelligence has no relationship whatsoever to your character. Some will be smart and good people. Some will be smart and bad people. Some will be stupid and good people. Some will be stupid and bad people. Character and intelligence have nothing to do with one another.

The biggest problems happen, once again, when people develop reasons to be miserable and when they develop reasons to be jerks. These are the hardest cases to solve. The person has put in a lot of effort into justifying horrendous behaviour. He can defend his conduct in any number of ways. And someone who challenges that conduct gets seen as evil, when he is in fact trying to bring sanity to a confused issue.

I am planning a career in relationship counselling; and I am sure I will be dealing with these kinds of issues all the time. I expect to get demonized by people who want to treat their partners badly. But I also hope to inspire people to be good to their partners. There is only one of me to go around; there are billions of other men. And the more men make a resolve to be good to their partners, the better the world will be.

I want to see these kinds of problems solved. For a man to be with a woman whom he holds in low esteem is a stupid way to live. I don’t want to fuck every woman in the world. I want to see their way of living improve. And that will depend largely on what their partners believe about them and how they are willing to conduct themselves toward them.