Things are more like they are today than they ever were before. -- Dwight Eisenhower

arts / alt.arts.poetry.comments / Re: Pasaquan & Saint EOM

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Pasaquan & Saint EOMVictor Hugo Fan
`- Re: Pasaquan & Saint EOMW-Dockery

1
Re: Pasaquan & Saint EOM

<86e7ff23-1d4b-4f86-87b0-b3c51b5a5190n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=163354&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#163354

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2022 13:10:13 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Pasaquan & Saint EOM
From: vhugo...@gmail.com (Victor Hugo Fan)
 by: Victor Hugo Fan - Sat, 13 Aug 2022 20:10 UTC

On Saturday, June 25, 2005 at 12:40:55 AM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:

> [...]
> ink and pencil drawings, sculptures and costumes.
> He left it all to the Marion County Historical Society, which in 1987
> tried to give it to the Columbus Museum, which in 1989 turned it down.
> Since then, Martin's work has been exhibited in the National Museum of
> American Art, the New Orleans Museum of Art, the Museum of American
> Folk Art, The Library of Congress, the Contemporary Arts Center in
> Seattle and other institutions.
> Art more easily endures in a museum or gallery than out in the woods.
> Maintaining a place made out of peace, love, concrete, metal, wood and
> house paint is a challenge.
> Part of the reason the preservation society is inviting the public back
> to Pasaquan 10-4 p.m. Saturday is not only to make a few bucks --
> admission will be $5 for all who aren't children age 5 or younger --
> but also to publicize its plight.
> Formed within the Marion County Historical Society in the early 1990s,
> the preservation society took possession of Pasaquan in 2003. It has
> picked up a few grants to do some repair and repainting, but it hasn't
> the estimated $1.5 million needed to fully restore and preserve
> everything Martin left behind.
> The organization hopes that again having public events at Pasaquan will
> be good public relations, teaching people about the place and its
> meaning.
> The folks familiar with it never seem to lose interest. Fussell says
> they ask about it a lot, and call to try to set up special visits --
> everyone from Columbus State University art students to soccer teams.
> "There was a woman from LaGrange who brought a group of graduating high
> school seniors as her graduation gift to one of the girls," he says.
> "The girl got to invite 10 of her friends to come along. We've had
> several classes from LaGrange College and from CSU to the place."
> Recently the sponsor of a soccer team in Columbus for a tournament
> tried to take some players out to tour Pasaquan but couldn't fit the
> trip in.
> Preservationists hope reopening Pasaquan on the last Saturday of each
> month this summer will help reconnect people with Martin and his work.
> "The ultimate goal is to have the place pretty much restored if we
> possibly can and open on a regular basis, almost a daily basis, by the
> Fourth of July, 2008, which would be Eddie Martin's 100th birthday,"
> Fussell says.
> It would honor the life of a poor farm boy who left home with nothing
> and came home with a vision.
> "I built this place to have somethin' to identify with, 'cause there's
> nothin' that I see in this world that I identify with or desire to
> emulate," Martin once told a biographer. "Here I can be in my own world
> with my temples and designs and the spirit of God."
> His world of peace, love and art still awaits the future out in woods
> near Buena Vista. And where else around here now can you find peace,

For those who want the truth...!

Re: Pasaquan & Saint EOM

<ee73415498c6d1ca047d96d00558ed03@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=163444&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#163444

Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2022 06:55:29 +0000
From: parnello...@gmail.com (W-Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W-Dockery - Sun, 14 Aug 2022 06:55 UTC

Here?

🙂