You will remember something that you should not have forgotten.

arts / alt.arts.poetry.comments / Re: Moving (tentative)

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Moving (tentative)Victor Hugo Fan
`* Re: Moving (tentative)Will Dockery
 +* Re: Moving (tentative)General-Zod
 |`- Re: Moving (tentative)Michael Pendragon
 `* Re: Moving (tentative)Victor H.
  `* Re: Moving (tentative)W.Dockery
   +* Re: Moving (tentative)Michael Pendragon
   |`- Re: Moving (tentative)Will Dockery
   `* Re: Moving (tentative)Victor Hugo Fan
    `* Re: Moving (tentative)W-Dockery
     `- Re: Moving (tentative)Victor H.

1
Re: Moving (tentative)

<76f2fe20-0be9-4113-9318-7ebf6f309242n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=157983&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#157983

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2022 13:52:58 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Moving (tentative)
From: vhugo...@gmail.com (Victor Hugo Fan)
 by: Victor Hugo Fan - Sat, 16 Jul 2022 20:52 UTC

On Friday, December 9, 2005 at 11:01:47 PM UTC-5, Stuart Leichter wrote:
> [...]
> something there if it can lead to a different reading. It figures, the only
> word in the poem that Shakespeare also uses and I fuckened it up.
> > Putting "the
> > everything" in parentheses is a nice touch.
> That was a major revision for the posting! During my (cough) deep reading I
> really dug having a comma immediately preceding the parens. It's so poetie,
> it's like getting away with murder in RL.
> > "greetings" is a bit vague -
> Ain't it though? But it's unmistakable in its meaning. When no other word
> will do, "greetings" is perfect enough. No? Well, I was being mischievous,
> tooling around with 'universal/particular' in the birthday/Christmas pair
> and making the 'universal/particular' like a moebius strip. Um, I mean, each
> of us has a birthday that means a whole lot mostly to each of us only, and
> Christmas is someone's birthday that means a lot 'universally' but not in
> that way to anyone in particular more than anyone else (least of all to
> whose birthday it celebrates; and then I wanted a Sontagesque third stream,
> beyond 'universal/particular', which would be 'generic' or
> 'one-size-fits-all'. Anyway, that's why "greetings" is there. It's part of
> the semiotics. The industry still calls itself the greeting card industry.
> Btw, on the page you could write that Chanukah lasts eight days because
> there are eight different and correct ways to spell the holiday in English,
> and you could spell out all eight. You might smile at it. But you wouldn't
> do it in Vaudeville. But what if you tried? Here's what always happens:
> someone can't pronounce 'Chanukah' in Hebrew so instead says "Season's
> greetings", maybe capitalizes the 'g' and adds an exclamation point.
> > don't get a picture of what that might be in comparison to unpacking.
> It's a lesser degree of surprise magnitude and designed to be pictureless.
> Maybe it's too idiosyncratic? I pack away and unpack loads of things that
> used to be greetings but are now something else. I prefer "greetings" to
> 'memorabilia', which sounds like something coined by H.L. Mencken. When I
> unpack them, they greet me, but in a new way -- a way that (in the poem) I
> want to compare to 'surprise'. I think 'reflection' is involved, but I'm not
> sure.
> The altered repeated last line indicates change. Because it's 'poetry', and
> the soliloquy's rhetoric suggests a narrative and dramatic (though
> uneventful) structure, I have to ask if anything changes between 'curtain
> up' and 'curtain down'. If there's more than superficial change, the action
> is dynamic; if there's no change at 'curtain down', it's static.
> There are a few dependent clauses, but the poem is essentially developed by
> present participles; it makes no statement and (I think) hangs on the
> 'limbo' word.
> >
> > If you are the speaker of the poem, my condolences. I hate moving.

Quite excellent, one of Stuart L's best... in my opinion...

Re: Moving (tentative)

<f6b03486-10a5-4bcf-bff0-aba4b0d7b9d4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=158079&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#158079

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2022 23:49:36 -0700 (PDT)
From: opb...@yahoo.com (Will Dockery)
 by: Will Dockery - Sun, 17 Jul 2022 06:49 UTC

Good find, Zod.

Re: Moving (tentative)

<5376d9d2c486c16d69cd56e8ad13301d@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=158630&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#158630

Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2022 19:19:23 +0000
From: tzod9...@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: General-Zod - Tue, 19 Jul 2022 19:19 UTC

Will Dockery wrote:

>> Quite excellent, one of Stuart L's best... in my opinion...

> Good find, Zod.

Bumped for G.D.

Re: Moving (tentative)

<55b52f95-8c7e-4456-af52-9ea20892fdc2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=158648&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#158648

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2022 12:49:09 -0700 (PDT)
From: michaelm...@gmail.com (Michael Pendragon)
 by: Michael Pendragon - Tue, 19 Jul 2022 19:49 UTC

On Tuesday, July 19, 2022 at 3:20:17 PM UTC-4, Zod wrote:
> Will Dockery wrote:

> >> Quite excellent, one of Stuart L's best... in my opinion...
>
> > Good find, Zod.
> Bumped for G.D.

REPORTED AS SPAM

Re: Moving (tentative)

<48f739211d45a2443ab1824f90910e31@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=158653&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#158653

Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2022 19:58:30 +0000
From: vhugo...@gmail.com (Victor H.)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: Victor H. - Tue, 19 Jul 2022 19:58 UTC

Will Dockery wrote:

>> Quite excellent, one of Stuart L's best... in my opinion...

> Good find, Zod.

I thank...

Re: Moving (tentative)

<25d5b3f0af5ee8c65aa87775f43e2a0b@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=159308&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#159308

Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2022 15:44:01 +0000
From: will.doc...@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W.Dockery - Fri, 22 Jul 2022 15:44 UTC

On Tuesday, July 19, 2022 at 3:49:10 PM UTC-4, michaelmalef...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Tuesday, July 19, 2022 at 3:20:17 PM UTC-4, Zod wrote:
> > Will Dockery wrote:

> > > Good find, Zod.
> > Bumped for G.D.
> REPORTED AS SPAM

Again, how can an important poetry post be spam?

Re: Moving (tentative)

<6c386fd8-d267-4624-8233-85be274a479fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=159326&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#159326

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2022 10:24:05 -0700 (PDT)
From: michaelm...@gmail.com (Michael Pendragon)
 by: Michael Pendragon - Fri, 22 Jul 2022 17:24 UTC

On Friday, July 22, 2022 at 11:45:16 AM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:
> On Tuesday, July 19, 2022 at 3:49:10 PM UTC-4, michaelmalef...@gmail.com wrote:

> > > Bumped for G.D.
> > REPORTED AS SPAM
> Again, how can an important poetry post be spam?

It's a twice-bumped dead thread last active 17 years ago.

Zod has nothing relevant to offer about the poem -- only that he likes it.

Since there is nothing in this thread that could possibly interest me, I attempted to block it from my feed.

Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to have taken.

So, once again... REPORTED AS SPAM.

Re: Moving (tentative)

<0959412b-bc5f-4639-a27a-fa5c028e1675n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=159330&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#159330

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2022 11:08:21 -0700 (PDT)
From: opb...@yahoo.com (Will Dockery)
 by: Will Dockery - Fri, 22 Jul 2022 18:08 UTC

On Friday, July 22, 2022 at 1:24:06 PM UTC-4, michaelmalef...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Friday, July 22, 2022 at 11:45:16 AM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:

> > > REPORTED AS SPAM
> > Again, how can an important poetry post be spam?
> It's a twice-bumped dead thread last active 17 years ago.
>
> Zod has nothing relevant to offer about the poem -- only that he likes it.
>
> Since there is nothing in this thread that could possibly interest me, I attempted to block it from my feed.
>
> Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to have taken.
>
> So, once again... REPORTED AS SPAM.

I thought you couldn't see the thread after you reported them?

Re: Moving (tentative)

<c6dade01-8ab9-466d-8b4d-d57486c8462dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=159383&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#159383

Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2022 14:37:53 -0700 (PDT)
From: vhugo...@gmail.com (Victor Hugo Fan)
 by: Victor Hugo Fan - Fri, 22 Jul 2022 21:37 UTC

On Friday, July 22, 2022 at 11:45:16 AM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:
> On Tuesday, July 19, 2022 at 3:49:10 PM UTC-4, michaelmalef...@gmail.com wrote:

> > > Bumped for G.D.
> > REPORTED AS SPAM
> Again, how can an important poetry post be spam?

It isn't...

Re: Moving (tentative)

<03176e32aee298bc419c237b99f76d70@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=159970&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#159970

Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2022 15:23:44 +0000
From: parnello...@gmail.com (W-Dockery)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
 by: W-Dockery - Mon, 25 Jul 2022 15:23 UTC

Victor Hugo Fan wrote:

> On Friday, July 22, 2022 at 11:45:16 AM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:

>> > REPORTED AS SPAM
>> Again, how can an important poetry post be spam?

> It isn't...

Bingo.

🙂

Re: Moving (tentative)

<5cddbf664a0b68208dd377b036627c43@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=163549&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#163549

Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2022 20:52:53 +0000
From: vhugo...@gmail.com (Victor H.)
Newsgroups: alt.arts.poetry.comments
References: <BFBE797A.42DCE%leichtes@bellsouth.net> <dncli202720@drn.newsguy.com> <BFBFBD5B.42E39%leichtes@bellsouth.net> <76f2fe20-0be9-4113-9318-7ebf6f309242n@googlegroups.com> <f6b03486-10a5-4bcf-bff0-aba4b0d7b9d4n@googlegroups.com> <48f739211d45a2443ab1824f90910e31@news.novabbs.com> <25d5b3f0af5ee8c65aa87775f43e2a0b@news.novabbs.com> <c6dade01-8ab9-466d-8b4d-d57486c8462dn@googlegroups.com> <03176e32aee298bc419c237b99f76d70@news.novabbs.com>
 by: Victor H. - Sun, 14 Aug 2022 20:52 UTC

>>> Again, how can an important poetry post be spam?

>> It isn't...

> Bingo.

> 🙂

Yep...