You're all clear now, kid. Now blow this thing so we can all go home. -- Han Solo

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: [OT] Facebook planning to pressure Canadian government

SubjectAuthor
* [OT] Facebook planning to pressure Canadian governmentRhino
+* Re: [OT] Facebook planning to pressure Canadian governmentEd Stasiak
|`- Re: [OT] Facebook planning to pressure Canadian governmentBTR1701
`- Re: [OT] Facebook planning to pressure Canadian governmentThe Horny Goat

1
[OT] Facebook planning to pressure Canadian government

<tk6b3g$2jj8g$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=163670&group=rec.arts.tv#163670

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: [OT] Facebook planning to pressure Canadian government
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2022 14:47:06 -0400
 by: Rhino - Sat, 5 Nov 2022 18:47 UTC

I meant to post something about this the other day but things got hectic
so I'm finally doing it now.

The Canadian government is seeking to make Facebook pay Canadian media
outlets for items Facebook uses - something Australia tried to do not
long ago - so Facebook is apparently planning to do the same thing to
Canada that it did when Australia tried it. It certainly stopped the
Australian government! Will it work in Canada? Stay tuned on this same
bat-channel to see!

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/mps-say-facebook-preparing-doomsday-scenario-for-canada

--
Rhino

Re: [OT] Facebook planning to pressure Canadian government

<3bd7998e-78e8-46c3-88fb-6167a9588a78n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=163692&group=rec.arts.tv#163692

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2022 14:59:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: edstasia...@gmail.com (Ed Stasiak)
 by: Ed Stasiak - Sat, 5 Nov 2022 21:59 UTC

> Rhino
>
> https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/mps-say-facebook-preparing-doomsday-scenario-for-canada
>
> If implemented as written, the legislation could force annual payouts to Canadian media
> of as much as $329 million a year, most of which would be paid by the tech giants such
> as Facebook and Google.

And Big Tech is right in threatening to shutdown social media in Canada, just as they did
when the Aussies tried to pull this same extortion scam.

It's not social media's fault (at least, it wasn't their intention) that traditional media's
business model of selling newspapers on the street corner is no longer valid, the writing
was on the wall (CRT screen) the day the first post to Usenet was made in 1980.

Re: [OT] Facebook planning to pressure Canadian government

<atropos-07982B.15392205112022@news.giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=163700&group=rec.arts.tv#163700

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2022 15:39:22 -0700
 by: BTR1701 - Sat, 5 Nov 2022 22:39 UTC

In article <3bd7998e-78e8-46c3-88fb-6167a9588a78n@googlegroups.com>,
Ed Stasiak <edstasiak1067@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Rhino
> >
> > https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/mps-say-facebook-preparing-doomsday-sce
> > nario-for-canada
> >
> > If implemented as written, the legislation could force annual payouts to
> > Canadian media of as much as $329 million a year, most of which would be
> > paid by the tech giants such as Facebook and Google.
>
> And Big Tech is right in threatening to shutdown social media in Canada,
> just as they did when the Aussies tried to pull this same extortion scam.
>
> It's not social media's fault (at least, it wasn't their intention) that
> traditional media's business model of selling newspapers on the street
> corner is no longer valid, the writing was on the wall (CRT screen) the
> day the first post to Usenet was made in 1980.

Spain tried this bullshit when they passed a law that Google had to pay
newspapers for linking to their news stories. Even the Spanish
newspapers-- who the government was trying to protect-- were opposed to
this but the government gave the newspapers no way to opt out and refuse
payment from Google.

So Google just said fine and blacklisted all Spanish news media sources
and stopped linking to them altogether. Which predictably kicked the
revenue of Spanish media orgs in the berries. There were some
half-hearted attempts to amend the law to force Google to both link to
their news stories *and* pay them for it before the government gave up
and repealed the law altogether.

Re: [OT] Facebook planning to pressure Canadian government

<8opgmhlrkoa1pnt3ca5ue90qvsk73fatln@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=163863&group=rec.arts.tv#163863

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2022 20:49:21 -0800
 by: The Horny Goat - Mon, 7 Nov 2022 04:49 UTC

On Sat, 5 Nov 2022 14:47:06 -0400, Rhino
<no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:

>I meant to post something about this the other day but things got hectic
>so I'm finally doing it now.
>
>The Canadian government is seeking to make Facebook pay Canadian media
>outlets for items Facebook uses - something Australia tried to do not
>long ago - so Facebook is apparently planning to do the same thing to
>Canada that it did when Australia tried it. It certainly stopped the
>Australian government! Will it work in Canada? Stay tuned on this same
>bat-channel to see!
>
>https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/mps-say-facebook-preparing-doomsday-scenario-for-canada

Our local paper referred to it as Facebook "unfriending" Australia