From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: How to get away with murder: mutual combatants
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2022 05:53:27 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Fri, 4 Nov 2022 05:53 UTC

How bad has Chicago Tribune gotten? This is an AP news story despite
being a Chicgo story.

Zachary Stoner was killed in gang violence in 2018. He pioneered the
video concept of profiling gang bangers, and on YouTube, was ZackTV.

According to police records, the homicide was solved quickly but no one
was charged on the legal theory of mutual combatants. Witnesses couldn't
agree who was the aggressor and who was the defender, so there were no
murder charges filed.

He wasn't thought to be part of a gang but grew up in a specific gang's
territory.

https://apnews.com/article/entertainment-music-shootings-arrests-dadf4327355f4604dbc5e3f629e2e97e

Re: How to get away with murder: mutual combatants

<gdf9mhlb2mk1tjp6ng2v1lr2j5iq535odb@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=163484&group=rec.arts.tv#163484

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: How to get away with murder: mutual combatants
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2022 03:24:02 -0400
 by: shawn - Fri, 4 Nov 2022 07:24 UTC

On Fri, 4 Nov 2022 05:53:27 -0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman"
<ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

>How bad has Chicago Tribune gotten? This is an AP news story despite
>being a Chicgo story.
>
>Zachary Stoner was killed in gang violence in 2018. He pioneered the
>video concept of profiling gang bangers, and on YouTube, was ZackTV.
>
>According to police records, the homicide was solved quickly but no one
>was charged on the legal theory of mutual combatants. Witnesses couldn't
>agree who was the aggressor and who was the defender, so there were no
>murder charges filed.

Was he considered to be one of the combatants? If not then I wouldn't
think it would matter why they were shooting at each other as whomever
shot at Zachary should have been charged and prosecuted with some
crime, even if murder one was off the table.
>He wasn't thought to be part of a gang but grew up in a specific gang's
>territory.
>
>https://apnews.com/article/entertainment-music-shootings-arrests-dadf4327355f4604dbc5e3f629e2e97e

Re: How to get away with murder: mutual combatants

<tk39ek$1rmh2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=163539&group=rec.arts.tv#163539

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2022 15:00:36 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Fri, 4 Nov 2022 15:00 UTC

>Fri, 4 Nov 2022 05:53:27 -0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

>>How bad has Chicago Tribune gotten? This is an AP news story despite
>>being a Chicgo story.

>>Zachary Stoner was killed in gang violence in 2018. He pioneered the
>>video concept of profiling gang bangers, and on YouTube, was ZackTV.

>>According to police records, the homicide was solved quickly but no one
>>was charged on the legal theory of mutual combatants. Witnesses couldn't
>>agree who was the aggressor and who was the defender, so there were no
>>murder charges filed.

>Was he considered to be one of the combatants?

YES SHAWN

That's literally what the "mutual combatants" legal theory means.

>If not then I wouldn't think it would matter why they were shooting
>at each other as whomever shot at Zachary should have been charged and
>prosecuted with some crime, even if murder one was off the table.

Of course it matters. Just because the police said it doesn't mean there
was a proper investigation or that they went into it with enough of an
open mind to figure out who the aggressor was and who the defender was.

I kind of doubt that Stoner, carrying a gun, decided to be aggressive
versus five gang banger from a gang from another neighborhood. But I'm
not the murder police so I have o expertise in these matters.

>>He wasn't thought to be part of a gang but grew up in a specific gang's
>>territory.

>>https://apnews.com/article/entertainment-music-shootings-arrests-dadf4327355f4604dbc5e3f629e2e97e

Re: How to get away with murder: mutual combatants

<ajahmhpc1nfpu91enf2ea1itn547p3pvk0@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=163867&group=rec.arts.tv#163867

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2022 22:49:51 -0800
 by: The Horny Goat - Mon, 7 Nov 2022 06:49 UTC

On Fri, 4 Nov 2022 15:00:36 -0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman"
<ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

>shawn <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:
>>Fri, 4 Nov 2022 05:53:27 -0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
>
>>>How bad has Chicago Tribune gotten? This is an AP news story despite
>>>being a Chicgo story.
>
>>>Zachary Stoner was killed in gang violence in 2018. He pioneered the
>>>video concept of profiling gang bangers, and on YouTube, was ZackTV.
>
>>>According to police records, the homicide was solved quickly but no one
>>>was charged on the legal theory of mutual combatants. Witnesses couldn't
>>>agree who was the aggressor and who was the defender, so there were no
>>>murder charges filed.
>
>>Was he considered to be one of the combatants?
>
>YES SHAWN
>
>That's literally what the "mutual combatants" legal theory means.
>
>>If not then I wouldn't think it would matter why they were shooting
>>at each other as whomever shot at Zachary should have been charged and
>>prosecuted with some crime, even if murder one was off the table.
>
>Of course it matters. Just because the police said it doesn't mean there
>was a proper investigation or that they went into it with enough of an
>open mind to figure out who the aggressor was and who the defender was.
>
>I kind of doubt that Stoner, carrying a gun, decided to be aggressive
>versus five gang banger from a gang from another neighborhood. But I'm
>not the murder police so I have o expertise in these matters.
>
>>>He wasn't thought to be part of a gang but grew up in a specific gang's
>>>territory.
>
>>>https://apnews.com/article/entertainment-music-shootings-arrests-dadf4327355f4604dbc5e3f629e2e97e

So the OK Corral would not result in charges if it occured today under
this "doctrine"?

The mind reels.

Re: How to get away with murder: mutual combatants

<135795646.689667873.518399.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=164132&group=rec.arts.tv#164132

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2022 23:27:09 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Wed, 9 Nov 2022 06:27 UTC

The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca> wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Nov 2022 15:00:36 -0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman"
> <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
>
>> shawn <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:

>>> Was he considered to be one of the combatants?
>>
>> YES SHAWN
>>
>> That's literally what the "mutual combatants" legal theory means.
>>
>>> If not then I wouldn't think it would matter why they were shooting
>>> at each other as whomever shot at Zachary should have been charged and
>>> prosecuted with some crime, even if murder one was off the table.
>>
>> Of course it matters. Just because the police said it doesn't mean there
>> was a proper investigation or that they went into it with enough of an
>> open mind to figure out who the aggressor was and who the defender was.
>>
>> I kind of doubt that Stoner, carrying a gun, decided to be aggressive
>> versus five gang banger from a gang from another neighborhood. But I'm
>> not the murder police so I have o expertise in these matters.

> So the OK Corral would not result in charges if it occured today under
> this "doctrine"?
>
> The mind reels.

Why would there be charges? Four officers of the law confronted twice as
many criminals and ordered them to surrender their weapons per town
ordinance. Instead the criminals drew on the officers and got shot to
pieces for their efforts as it should be.