If you would keep a secret from an enemy, tell it not to a friend.

arts / rec.arts.tv / THE GOOD FIGHT Producers Better Have Good Lawyers...

SubjectAuthor
* THE GOOD FIGHT Producers Better Have Good Lawyers...BTR1701
+- Re: THE GOOD FIGHT Producers Better Have Good Lawyers...anim8rfsk
+- Re: THE GOOD FIGHT Producers Better Have Good Lawyers...trotsky
`- Re: THE GOOD FIGHT Producers Better Have Good Lawyers...moviePig

1
THE GOOD FIGHT Producers Better Have Good Lawyers...

<Bj6dnW88X7vOSPD-nZ2dnZfqn_adnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=164293&group=rec.arts.tv#164293

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: THE GOOD FIGHT Producers Better Have Good Lawyers...
From: no_em...@invalid.invalid (BTR1701)
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2022 04:53:39 +0000
 by: BTR1701 - Fri, 11 Nov 2022 04:53 UTC

A fictional character on the Paramount Plus series THE GOOD FIGHT
explicitly names Gov. Ron DeSantis as having sexually assaulted him.

https://twitter.com/stillgray/status/1590855268803694593?s=21

Yikes.

Re: THE GOOD FIGHT Producers Better Have Good Lawyers...

<1493906453.689840134.844732.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=164297&group=rec.arts.tv#164297

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2022 23:31:30 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Fri, 11 Nov 2022 06:31 UTC

BTR1701 <no_email@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> A fictional character on the Paramount Plus series THE GOOD FIGHT
> explicitly names Gov. Ron DeSantis as having sexually assaulted him.
>
> https://twitter.com/stillgray/status/1590855268803694593?s=21
>
> Yikes.

Nobody gets Paramont +

Re: THE GOOD FIGHT Producers Better Have Good Lawyers...

<tklb41$q6n$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=164314&group=rec.arts.tv#164314

From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2022 05:19:28 -0600
 by: trotsky - Fri, 11 Nov 2022 11:19 UTC

On 11/10/22 10:53 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> A fictional character on the Paramount Plus series THE GOOD FIGHT
> explicitly names Gov. Ron DeSantis as having sexually assaulted him.
>
> https://twitter.com/stillgray/status/1590855268803694593?s=21
>
> Yikes.

You claim to be a lawyer--is there a precedent for receiving damages
caused by fictional characters?

Oh wait, you're unreliable on issues of fact so I'll have to research
the topic myself.

https://www.freedomforuminstitute.org/first-amendment-center/topics/freedom-of-speech-2/arts-first-amendment-overview/libel-in-fiction/

Libel in fiction

By David L. Hudson Jr., First Amendment Scholar, and Andrew Gargano,
First Amendment Center Intern

Updated: November 29, 2017

We all know instinctively what libel or defamation is — making false
statements of fact that harm another’s reputation. For example, if I
falsely write that John Smith committed a crime, then I have libeled
him. I have harmed his reputation by accusing him of doing something bad
that he didn’t do.

However, what if I write a fictional story from my own experiences about
a student who feels harassed by an overbearing teacher named Mrs. Jones?
The inspiration for my creative writing comes from my own experiences in
dealing with an actual teacher named Mrs. Smith. In my story, I ascribe
many unflattering attributes to my character-teacher Mrs. Jones. Could
Mrs. Smith (assuming she’s still living) sue me for defamation, alleging
that she has been defamed by my depictions of my fictional Mrs. Jones?
Can she sue me even if the work has a disclaimer, clearly stating the
work is fiction?

The surprising answer is maybe. Sometimes, creators of fictional works
are sued by persons who claim that certain characters in the stories
refer to them and defame them. For example, the publisher of the
best-selling novel Primary Colors, the producer of the motion picture
“Hardball” and the producers of the movie “Sandlot” have all been sued
for defamation.

Mr. Hudson goes on to say the cost of defending oneself in a lawsuit may
prevent fictitious works from seeing the light of day, but in Eunuch
Derp's case the show has already been produced, but I don't think
Paramount's legal dept. is quaking in their boots. My determination:
Eunuch Derp is shitposting again.

Re: THE GOOD FIGHT Producers Better Have Good Lawyers...

<efubL.103870$U709.34734@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=164343&group=rec.arts.tv#164343

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2022 10:54:49 -0500
 by: moviePig - Fri, 11 Nov 2022 15:54 UTC

On 11/10/2022 11:53 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> A fictional character on the Paramount Plus series THE GOOD FIGHT
> explicitly names Gov. Ron DeSantis as having sexually assaulted him.
>
> https://twitter.com/stillgray/status/1590855268803694593?s=21
>
> Yikes.

Not reading because spoilers. But, from what you write above, I'd think
a sufficient defense would be a known past accusation of DeSantis.