Patch griefs with proverbs. -- William Shakespeare, "Much Ado About Nothing"

arts / rec.arts.tv / NPR doesn't find Dave Chappelle funny anymore

SubjectAuthor
* NPR doesn't find Dave Chappelle funny anymorechromebook test
+* Re: NPR doesn't find Dave Chappelle funny anymoreBTR1701
|+- Re: NPR doesn't find Dave Chappelle funny anymoretrotsky
|`* Re: NPR doesn't find Dave Chappelle funny anymoreAdam H. Kerman
| `* Re: NPR doesn't find Dave Chappelle funny anymoreRhino
|  +* Re: NPR doesn't find Dave Chappelle funny anymoreAdam H. Kerman
|  |`- Re: NPR doesn't find Dave Chappelle funny anymoreAdam H. Kerman
|  `- Re: NPR doesn't find Dave Chappelle funny anymoreThe Horny Goat
+- Re: NPR doesn't find Dave Chappelle funny anymoreUbiquitous
`- Re: NPR doesn't find Dave Chappelle funny anymoretrotsky

1
NPR doesn't find Dave Chappelle funny anymore

<1df7b8d7-0eb8-4427-86c5-6d95cc9cf3d1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=164633&group=rec.arts.tv#164633

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2022 11:39:34 -0800 (PST)
Subject: NPR doesn't find Dave Chappelle funny anymore
From: chromium...@gmail.com (chromebook test)
 by: chromebook test - Sun, 13 Nov 2022 19:39 UTC

Dave Chappelle monologue disappoints on 'Saturday Night Live'
November 13, 2022 ERIC DEGGANS
https://www.npr.org/2022/11/13/1136343690/dave-chappelle-saturday-night-live-antisemitism

Re: NPR doesn't find Dave Chappelle funny anymore

<_JqcnQ2zt-4Jzuz-nZ2dnZfqnPUAAAAA@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=164641&group=rec.arts.tv#164641

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: NPR doesn't find Dave Chappelle funny anymore
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2022 20:29:08 +0000
 by: BTR1701 - Sun, 13 Nov 2022 20:29 UTC

On Nov 13, 2022 at 11:39:34 AM PST, "chromebook test"
<chromiumtest56@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dave Chappelle monologue disappoints on 'Saturday Night Live'
> November 13, 2022 ERIC DEGGANS
>
> https://www.npr.org/2022/11/13/1136343690/dave-chappelle-saturday-night-live-antisemitism

"Chappelle seems to think he's above criticism."

No, he doesn't think he's above it. He just doesn't give a shit if you
criticize him.

He doesn't run for cover and issue groveling apologies the moment someone
screams "I'm offended!!!" He's taken away your power over him and you can't
stand it.

Re: NPR doesn't find Dave Chappelle funny anymore

<tkrmn9$1ls9$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=164648&group=rec.arts.tv#164648

From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2022 15:14:17 -0600
 by: trotsky - Sun, 13 Nov 2022 21:14 UTC

On 11/13/22 2:29 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> On Nov 13, 2022 at 11:39:34 AM PST, "chromebook test"
> <chromiumtest56@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Dave Chappelle monologue disappoints on 'Saturday Night Live'
>> November 13, 2022 ERIC DEGGANS
>>
>> https://www.npr.org/2022/11/13/1136343690/dave-chappelle-saturday-night-live-antisemitism
>
> "Chappelle seems to think he's above criticism."
>
> No, he doesn't think he's above it. He just doesn't give a shit if you
> criticize him.

Holy shit, I would really hate to be like you and be wrong about every
fucking thing all the time.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2014/06/dave-chappelle-why-he-left-chappelle-show

In the video above, Chappelle talks about how he went to South Africa to
hide out from press coverage, and also acknowledges some regrets about
having $10 million dollars in the bank vs. the $50 million he could have
had if he’d stayed.

He fled to South Africa because he couldn't handle the exposure of
having a wildly popular show. That appears to be just the opposite of
"not giving a shit." You gave us a shitpost though, so that's close.

> He doesn't run for cover and issue groveling apologies the moment someone
> screams "I'm offended!!!" He's taken away your power over him and you can't
> stand it.

Yes, I heard he was a man's man--in South Africa.
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey at least you have the added value of being eminently laughable, so
there's that. I'm sure the Oath Keepers give you the love and support
you need though. Have they perfected the circle jerk Zoom call yet?

Re: NPR doesn't find Dave Chappelle funny anymore

<tks1e5$1ibj4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=164657&group=rec.arts.tv#164657

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2022 00:17:09 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Mon, 14 Nov 2022 00:17 UTC

BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
>Nov 13, 2022 at 11:39:34 AM PST, chromebook test <chromiumtest56@gmail.com>:

>>Dave Chappelle monologue disappoints on 'Saturday Night Live'
>>November 13, 2022 ERIC DEGGANS

>>https://www.npr.org/2022/11/13/1136343690/dave-chappelle-saturday-night-live-antisemitism

>"Chappelle seems to think he's above criticism."

>No, he doesn't think he's above it. He just doesn't give a shit if you
>criticize him.

>He doesn't run for cover and issue groveling apologies the moment someone
>screams "I'm offended!!!" He's taken away your power over him and you can't
>stand it.

Fine. I listened. The anti-semitic comments were a little funny.

"I've been to Hollywood. This is what I saw. It's a lot of Jews. Like a
lot. That the Jews run Hollywood is not a crazy thing to think, but it's
a crazy thing to say out loud."

That was funny but it took him almost 7 minutes to stick the knife in.

Re: NPR doesn't find Dave Chappelle funny anymore

<jn23nh9c8rhfttc7kvcsg8vvslbi3miqun@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=164659&group=rec.arts.tv#164659

From: No_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2022 19:38:50 -0500
 by: Rhino - Mon, 14 Nov 2022 00:38 UTC

On Mon, 14 Nov 2022 00:17:09 -0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman"
<ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

>BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
>>Nov 13, 2022 at 11:39:34 AM PST, chromebook test <chromiumtest56@gmail.com>:
>
>>>Dave Chappelle monologue disappoints on 'Saturday Night Live'
>>>November 13, 2022 ERIC DEGGANS
>
>>>https://www.npr.org/2022/11/13/1136343690/dave-chappelle-saturday-night-live-antisemitism
>
>>"Chappelle seems to think he's above criticism."
>
>>No, he doesn't think he's above it. He just doesn't give a shit if you
>>criticize him.
>
>>He doesn't run for cover and issue groveling apologies the moment someone
>>screams "I'm offended!!!" He's taken away your power over him and you can't
>>stand it.
>
>Fine. I listened. The anti-semitic comments were a little funny.
>
>"I've been to Hollywood. This is what I saw. It's a lot of Jews. Like a
>lot. That the Jews run Hollywood is not a crazy thing to think, but it's
>a crazy thing to say out loud."
>
>That was funny but it took him almost 7 minutes to stick the knife in.

I've enjoyed the past Dave Chapelle shows that I've seen but I didn't
see his SNL appearance. (I haven't watched SNL in decades and see no
reason to start again.) I was surprised to read what he'd said,
especially given his own religious views. I don't know if this is
widely-known but Chapelle converted to Islam some years ago. Here he
is talking to Letterman about it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UK1psV3eOFM [3 minutes]

Having a Muslim say that the Jews run Hollywood makes me squirm a bit
knowing how most Muslims seem to feel about Jews. While not outright
confrontational in itself, it feels like whatever he says next *might*
be anti-Semitic. Mind you, he strikes me as an intelligent and
perceptive guy and not the type that would risk throwing away a career
he seems to enjoy so that he can spout anti-Semitism.

Re: NPR doesn't find Dave Chappelle funny anymore

<tktlpb$1pdgc$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=164697&group=rec.arts.tv#164697

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2022 15:10:35 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Mon, 14 Nov 2022 15:10 UTC

Rhino <No_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:
>Mon, 14 Nov 2022 00:17:09 -0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com>:
>>BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

>>>"Chappelle seems to think he's above criticism."

>>>No, he doesn't think he's above it. He just doesn't give a shit if you
>>>criticize him.

>>>He doesn't run for cover and issue groveling apologies the moment someone
>>>screams "I'm offended!!!" He's taken away your power over him and you can't
>>>stand it.

>>Fine. I listened. The anti-semitic comments were a little funny.

>>"I've been to Hollywood. This is what I saw. It's a lot of Jews. Like a
>>lot. That the Jews run Hollywood is not a crazy thing to think, but it's
>>a crazy thing to say out loud."

>>That was funny but it took him almost 7 minutes to stick the knife in.

>I've enjoyed the past Dave Chapelle shows that I've seen but I didn't
>see his SNL appearance. (I haven't watched SNL in decades and see no
>reason to start again.) I was surprised to read what he'd said,
>especially given his own religious views. I don't know if this is
>widely-known but Chapelle converted to Islam some years ago. Here he
>is talking to Letterman about it:
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UK1psV3eOFM [3 minutes]

>Having a Muslim say that the Jews run Hollywood makes me squirm a bit
>knowing how most Muslims seem to feel about Jews. While not outright
>confrontational in itself, it feels like whatever he says next *might*
>be anti-Semitic. Mind you, he strikes me as an intelligent and
>perceptive guy and not the type that would risk throwing away a career
>he seems to enjoy so that he can spout anti-Semitism.

Fine. I'll say it.

The Jews run Hollywood.

I apologize.

Re: NPR doesn't find Dave Chappelle funny anymore

<tku1nt$1q8tm$7@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=164712&group=rec.arts.tv#164712

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2022 13:34:37 -0500
 by: Ubiquitous - Mon, 14 Nov 2022 18:34 UTC

chromiumtest56@gmail.com wrote:

>Dave Chappelle monologue disappoints on 'Saturday Night Live'

No one walks a rhetorical tightrope as deftly as Dave Chappelle.

That thought nagged at me while watching Chappelle's widely-anticipated
appearance last night on Saturday Night Live, where his guest-hosting stints
after major electoral events have become something of a tradition.

But Chappelle didn't devote much of his monologue to the midterm elections,
even though news had broken earlier in the day that Democrats had defied
expectations to likely retain control of the Senate. He spent more time
talking about Kanye West and antisemitism.

"Early in my career, I learned there are two words you should never say
together," Chappelle noted during his opening monologue. "Those words
are...'the' and 'Jews.' Never heard someone do good after they said that."

Chappelle was already a controversial guest; critics � including me � slammed
his 2021 Netflix special The Closer for its homophobic and transphobic jokes.

And here is where I quit reading, because clearly, the author didn't know
what he was talking about and never saw the special.

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: NPR doesn't find Dave Chappelle funny anymore

<tku8g6$1r4h4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=164727&group=rec.arts.tv#164727

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2022 20:29:58 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Mon, 14 Nov 2022 20:29 UTC

Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
>Rhino <No_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:

>>>Fine. I listened. The anti-semitic comments were a little funny.

>>>"I've been to Hollywood. This is what I saw. It's a lot of Jews. Like a
>>>lot. That the Jews run Hollywood is not a crazy thing to think, but it's
>>>a crazy thing to say out loud."

>>>That was funny but it took him almost 7 minutes to stick the knife in.

>>I've enjoyed the past Dave Chapelle shows that I've seen but I didn't
>>see his SNL appearance. (I haven't watched SNL in decades and see no
>>reason to start again.) I was surprised to read what he'd said,
>>especially given his own religious views. I don't know if this is
>>widely-known but Chapelle converted to Islam some years ago. Here he
>>is talking to Letterman about it:
>>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UK1psV3eOFM [3 minutes]

>>Having a Muslim say that the Jews run Hollywood makes me squirm a bit
>>knowing how most Muslims seem to feel about Jews. While not outright
>>confrontational in itself, it feels like whatever he says next *might*
>>be anti-Semitic. Mind you, he strikes me as an intelligent and
>>perceptive guy and not the type that would risk throwing away a career
>>he seems to enjoy so that he can spout anti-Semitism.

>Fine. I'll say it.

>The Jews run Hollywood.

>I apologize.

No one thought I was funny. I'm qualified to host Saturday Night Live.

Re: NPR doesn't find Dave Chappelle funny anymore

<tkvpfp$1hmr$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=164798&group=rec.arts.tv#164798

From: gmsi...@email.com (trotsky)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2022 04:26:01 -0600
 by: trotsky - Tue, 15 Nov 2022 10:26 UTC

On 11/14/22 5:19 PM, RichA wrote:
> On Sunday, 13 November 2022 at 14:39:37 UTC-5, chromebook test wrote:
>> Dave Chappelle monologue disappoints on 'Saturday Night Live'
>> November 13, 2022 ERIC DEGGANS
>> https://www.npr.org/2022/11/13/1136343690/dave-chappelle-saturday-night-live-antisemitism
>
> No one has explained why queers and trans-whatevers can't be made fun of when while Anglo-Saxon hetero males are always fair-game.

Hey, maybe if you had a real identity you could advocate for Anglo-Saxon
males. So guess your fucked. Maybe this is the problem, a subset of
the human race all lacking testicles.

Re: NPR doesn't find Dave Chappelle funny anymore

<0iidnhpr0k8gd3bm4tda67dh5hvt4f1qb1@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=165208&group=rec.arts.tv#165208

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2022 16:17:58 -0800
 by: The Horny Goat - Fri, 18 Nov 2022 00:17 UTC

On Sun, 13 Nov 2022 19:38:50 -0500, Rhino
<No_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:

>Having a Muslim say that the Jews run Hollywood makes me squirm a bit
>knowing how most Muslims seem to feel about Jews. While not outright
>confrontational in itself, it feels like whatever he says next *might*
>be anti-Semitic. Mind you, he strikes me as an intelligent and
>perceptive guy and not the type that would risk throwing away a career
>he seems to enjoy so that he can spout anti-Semitism.

The particular problem the Canadian Muslim community has it that it
has a well established habit of supporting EVERY Canadian Muslim no
matter WHAT they do (and some of the things done were pretty
egregious). That loses them a lot of support from the general Canadian
population they might well otherwise get. (Though the truly woke
support everything done no matter how egregious)

And then scream "*** ISLAMOPHOBIA ***" if they don't get the mass
support they seem to think they deserve.

A good example was the Omar Khadr case - Khadr was the Canadian born
teenage scion of a well known jihadist family who voluntarily went to
Afghanistan to fight against the UN mission there (which included both
US and Canadian troops) The problem with that is Canadian Criminal
Code section 46 which defines treason as fighting against Canadian
troops OR THEIR ALLIES (which pretty much everybody thinks includes
the United States) and is triggered whether or not there is a declared
state of war existing (which is something Canada has only ever done
twice - once in 1939 against Germany, once in 1941 against Japan).

Khadr was captured and sent to Gitmo and somehow got a Canadian court
to rule that the Canadian government had not worked sufficiently to
spring him from Gitmo where he underwent all sorts of indignities
including waterboarding.

And awarded him $10 million. (Which he apparently spent the major
chunk of it buying a strip mall in Edmonton as an investment)

Probably most Canadians did NOT support his repatriation though
obviously nobody would send him back to his ideological buddies in
Kabul now.